• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

scy

It started causing friction last tier when people were streaming fights early on so I'm guessing the code of e-honor isn't long for the world regardless.

On that note, it's the same group that dropped their A4S video early. e-cred is srs business

So the arbitrary clear number got a little bit smaller this time. Got it.

I guess that sucks for people competing for server firsts at this point. Otherwise the race is kind of over.

I mean, it was over on the first kill? It's mostly to not discredit the first few kills as a "well, strat is already out there" sort of thing. It's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things just one of those "How disappointing" moments.

Sorian

Banned
My thought when people talk about this weird e-honor bullshit:

who_gives_a_shit.gif

Sorian

Banned
Shit I turn shield oath on at like 4 stacks now.
That damage is ridiculous at max.

(I'm BLM of course)

I had a team yesterday that was refusing to pick up medals, tank ignoring them, DRG ignoring them, etc. So I had to grab them because obviously not letting them go back to the dead. I was at 7 stacks so had to go hide because there was still 4 minutes left in the match. Stayed hidden and alive for a good 3 minutes, was even able to pop out and kill their healer again with some pot shots (those medals didn't get picked up either but he was dropped like 12 medals at that point). Healer cursed me out because the other team came and hunted me down with 30 seconds left, stun locked me and used melee LB.

/rage

iammeiam

My thought when people talk about this weird e-honor bullshit:

who_gives_a_shit.gif

I mean, it's a race being run by nobody in this thread so none of us personally. It's more interesting as a culture clash, since apparently half the people running the race don't care anymore either. I mostly wanted to provide context beyond EM being salty people posted videos before they did.

The one downside is the sooner strats leak out, the more likely we are to see everyone aping the same approach because that's How It's Done.

Sorian

Banned
So A8S is a soft enrage then right? Is that the first time they didn't go for a hard 9999999 type attack for the enrage at the final fight of a tier?

Edit: Or is spinning cyclone of fire for 10 years an actual mechanic and there is a real enrage after?

studyguy

mfw Full Swing on some guy who has a ton of stacks

Im-Gonna-Wreck-It.jpg

I know it's unnecessary, but until you've seen those crits you just don't understand the feeling.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
The one downside is the sooner strats leak out, the more likely we are to see everyone aping the same approach because that's How It's Done.
This is the only bad thing I can see really, and even then, it's bound to happen eventually.

iammeiam

This is the only bad thing I can see really, and even then, it's bound to happen eventually.

Yup, but the more people who do things their own weird way before the default is out the more chances we get for variety and the better odds I have of getting to do mechanics I have no business doing.

They ran out of mechanics then?

"We've got nothing left Yoshida."

"Raid-wide damage for years before enrage, go"

I'm just going to pretend that phase was originally much shorter and they just kept bumping it up in length until they crossed the magic threshold of Not Too High DPS Requirements.

I do wonder if A8S's enrage looks cool.

Tiops

Finally melded my crafting gear to be able to produce 1-Start stuff!

And nobody buys 1-Star shit anymore :D . I'm destined to be poor in this game.

Lmao...

"World 3rd group released their vid just now. Miunih was raging about it on twitter, forced Ely to release theirs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI4hB_xYvkk"

Those YT comments...

(In all honestly, A8S looks like a really fun fight. Of course, that might have a lot to do with Brute Justice's music...)

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Yup, but the more people who do things their own weird way before the default is out the more chances we get for variety and the better odds I have of getting to do mechanics I have no business doing.
More fun that way too, for a little bit at least.

scy

It's probably just Nisi Sword Execution again.

Should totally just be him jumping up for another massive J Kick, though, just to play off the 7 episode lead-up to his ultimate being a super version of his regular thing. The spinning would at least make sense then.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

OVfGfpC.gif

Absolute bonkers.

Also, the move that transforms him into is super mega perfect form is just named "Justice" fucking amazing

It's better in Japanese. "Transform" is "Justice Gattai" which is something you'll hear in every Sentai show ever: "<theme of the year> gattai". The last phase transition however is "Justice Gasshin" with gasshin being a made-up word for "god combination" used to emphasize the "even further beyond" factor, occasionally cropping up in mecha. It's amazing.

Squishy3

That doesn't look nearly as bad as Miunih's tweets were making it out to be. I mean, there's a lot going on but once you understand the entire thing it's probably not that bad. When most people are going in they'll be better geared than the world-first groups too so I'm sure that'll alleviate a lot of the big damage pains.

Sorian

Banned
That doesn't look nearly as bad as Miunih's tweets were making it out to be. I mean, there's a lot going on but once you understand the entire thing it's probably not that bad. When most people are going in they'll be better geared than the world-first groups too so I'm sure that'll alleviate a lot of the big damage pains.

A big part of that dance is also A6S mechanics that will probably be much more ingrained into the normal folk by the time they get to the dance as opposed to the world first group who could obviously do A6S mechanics but hadn't been clearing for weeks before even going in.

Squishy3

A big part of that dance is also A6S mechanics that will probably be much more ingrained into the normal folk by the time they get to the dance as opposed to the world first group who could obviously do A6S mechanics but hadn't been clearing for weeks before even going in.
Yup. The only thing I don't get is what the Ninja died to in the Japanese video, and it looked like the saws off to the side charged across like divebombs?

But yeah, when Brute Justice's final form comes out there's only one really brand new mechanic introduced that I saw (that tornado that brought the OT down to nearly 0) and then everything else is stuff you already saw earlier in that fight or other fights. And they even only drop 2 of the regulators instead of 4 for this phase.

Plus looks like A1 prey on people too.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Yup. The only thing I don't get is what the Ninja died to in that clip, and it looked like the saws off to the side charged across like divebombs?

But yeah, when Brute Justice's final form comes out there's only one really brand new mechanic introduced that I saw (that tornado that brought the OT down to nearly 0) and then everything else is stuff you already saw earlier in that fight or other fights. And they even only drop 2 of the regulators instead of 4 for this phase.

Plus looks like A1 prey on people too.

There's more than that.
Nisi is assigned rather than you being able to just go into a square. The OT has to take the last tornado because of the min/max HP mechanic. When the check comes out, the MT has to have the biggest amount of HP in the party and OT has to have the lowest. You also need to clean up the drainage vortex with BJ's flamethrower, it's not new, but the problem of positioning is. In the Japanese video, NIN sacrificed himself to the mine so they don't have to deal with the vortex. And there's also some weird I II and III debuffs but they don't do anything so it's probably some kind of failure state mechanic.

iammeiam

You know, even on our cleanest pulls, I have never spent Brawler adds phase going "You know what this needs? Swindler and Vortexer and their mechanics." There is a ridiculous amount of stuff going on simultaneously there, for the most part the phases are extremely distinct with very little in the way of rotational repeats, there is a ton of stuff happening that isn't super obvious (Compressed Water appears to happen during Enumeration? Jesus.) I'd guess a lot of the tweets is that the fight is a ton of new phase -> wipe to something you had no idea was coming -> repeat over and over. Add in the thinking you've killed him but, nope, new phase with brand new mechanics and it makes sense.

As with literally every fight in this game, once you're used to it it's manageable, but just looking at what is happening and working out how many times you have to wipe just to see the next thing that will wipe you (surprise: Chakrams divebomb now!) it's pretty insane.

BadRNG

Wow...just, wow. One of those rare instances where the clear video doesn't make it look easy. It actually looks sort of not fun, just going on seemingly forever, but guess we'll see when we get there.

Lmao...

"World 3rd group released their vid just now. Miunih was raging about it on twitter, forced Ely to release theirs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI4hB_xYvkk"
The amount of salt in those comments is hilarious, along with the dislikes or whatever youtube calls them. Oh no you spoiled race for world 4th that no one cared about.

Are you kidding, that looks incredibly obnoxious. I can't think of any fight in the game with that level of crap going on at any point. Gear won't help you not fuck up what appeared to be 75 million different wipe mechanics, unless we're assuming the punishment for mistake is something small like just that person's death (which I honestly doubt considering how every other savage turn has been designed). True it doesn't look as badly designed as A4S but still way over the top. I am curious what people will think when they actually get in there considering how many people gave up on A3S mechanics and this looks way worse.

I could be way off base of course but if it follows the usual design where you fuck up mechanic and everything goes to hell with damage up stacks, vul downs, multi death explosions and other silly things then it's going to be painful.

scy

I am curious what people will think when they actually get in there considering how many people gave up on A3S mechanics and this looks way worse.

But hey, no DPS checks!

I could be way off base of course but if it follows the usual design where you fuck up mechanic and everything goes to hell with damage up stacks, vul downs, multi death explosions and other silly things then it's going to be painful.

Just thinking how many of those mechanics are actually straight up "This pull can never succeed now" makes me shudder a bit.

Squishy3

Yeah but I mean typically people are more receptive to mechanics intensive fights, since at the end of the day the real challenge is just figuring out how to optimize your DPS while doing the mechanics instead of just sitting there figuring out how to optimize your DPS like the hands check in A3S where you're hitting a dummy that just slaps the tanks.

The groups that will clear will clear and this looks way more appealing because it is actually thought out well just judging by the video. Now to convince my static to start doing Savage next week. :>

iammeiam

Yeah but I mean typically people are more receptive to mechanics intensive fights, since at the end of the day the real challenge is just figuring out how to optimize your DPS while doing the mechanics instead of just sitting there figuring out how to optimize your DPS like the hands check in A3S where you're hitting a dummy that just slaps the tanks.

The groups that will clear will clear and this looks way more appealing because it is actually thought out well just judging by the video. Now to convince my static to start doing Savage next week. :>

I'm not clear what your argument is, given where groups that exploded on A3S actually exploded. It was the mechanics that were the problem? HoP was kiddy tier a couple weeks in, it was the fight basically sucker punching you for missing a mechanic and laughing at the failure cascade that resulted that broke people, and the A8S video has a ton of that.

I'm tentatively hyped, but I honestly can't see watching that video, understanding what's happening, and walking away not going "omgwtflololol". This looks every bit the dance that A3S was, but with seemingly more built-in auto wipes.

scy

Hands weren't really a check? More of a baseline competency check and not like ... how2optimize. I feel like this is missing all of the point, though, and the back half of A3S is basically a case of how to DPS while mechanics so it's a weird fight to cite for this point?

Edit: MY INABILITY TO REFRESH.

Nisi? Vortexer self-destruct timer? And I think four robots can't be in the room at once during phase 2 or you explode.

There's a whoosh somewhere, unsure which of us is missing the joke though D:

iammeiam

One day the OT will want to talk about people feeling entitled to raid buffs while raiding and you can watch us turn on each other in a bloody feud resulting in one of us being banished from the OT.

The other one will continue making the same arguments as ever and nobody will even realize there's only one left.

WolvenOne

Okay just an FYI.

I've started a personal project, so at least for a few weeks I'll only be doing the uber casual lifestyle. Yes I know, all you poor people, being deprived of the pleasure that is my company. I'm really not sure how you all are going to cope.

Stay strong!

PS: Galen I'm counting on you to keep the puns alive in my absence.

scy

Between second and final coil.

#Divebombs?

It leaves me very interested in seeing how the tier pans out in terms of perception.

Angary and Rin are my OTP

Refresh refresh refresh ... nobody saying anything to that? Alright guess I'll say a thi---goddamnit.

One day the OT will want to talk about people feeling entitled to raid buffs while raiding and you can watch us turn on each other in a bloody feud resulting in one of us being banished from the OT.

Weakness Buff, the Return.

PS: Galen I'm counting on you to keep the puns alive in my absence.

/blist "Galen Austad"

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
There's a huge Easter eggs rolling around the market area of Gridania. What's the purpose of this?

So ends Alex Midas Savage (for now at least, maybe longer, who knows). Think I'm also getting close to that point you get to with your MMO experience where it clicks that "why are you still playing this, it's the same shit over and over" and "do you really, really want to go through this long haul/grind another time?".

I was wondering (and thinking of posting in the other OT) how viable is it now to play through FF XI if you just want to experience the story? Like don't care about doing any end game raid stuff or that nonsense, just play through to the ending credits. Or is even doing that going to be ridiculous?

iammeiam

I went to check on a hunch and now that videos are out, Elysium's made their A8S FFLogs public.

Looks like ~7500 rDPS to kill it in 13 minutes, but the mechanics lolfest being what it is that could kind of mean anything.

It's also sort of interesting how close all the DPS end up being in terms of damage done. Fight's MNK-hostile enough that the NIN/MNK gap is tiny, and MCH is on their heels despite no Disembowel. And then there's BLM, the real victims of BRD's fall from the spotlight.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I went to check on a hunch and now that videos are out, Elysium's made their A8S FFLogs public.

Looks like ~7500 rDPS to kill it in 13 minutes, but the mechanics lolfest being what it is that could kind of mean anything.

It's also sort of interesting how close all the DPS end up being in terms of damage done. Fight's MNK-hostile enough that the NIN/MNK gap is tiny, and MCH is on their heels despite no Disembowel. And then there's BLM, the real victims of BRD's fall from the spotlight.

Rinchan is also insanely good

Squishy3

To play FFXI you have to basically dedicate a whole day just to navigating through PlayOnline to install the FFXI client.

Then you actually start playing the game and realize how super archaic the UI design is. To buy a complete set of armor and a weapon from a vendor you need to go through multiple pages of items (and only like 5 are displayed per page) and the menu closes after you buy one item and you need to do it again for the next piece until you've bought them all. This is especially bad with the NPCs that you buy stuff with the unique currency from.

Maybe they'll eventually update the UI now that they aren't limited by PS2.

iammeiam

Well, yeah, and has the i245 gun at this point. I was just expecting a slightly larger gap to MNK.

Edit: actually looking at the second clear the MNK goes up a bit. I am curious on how damage works out swapping in a DRG/overall numbers for the fight to this tier.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
So ends Alex Midas Savage (for now at least, maybe longer, who knows). Think I'm also getting close to that point you get to with your MMO experience where it clicks that "why are you still playing this, it's the same shit over and over" and "do you really, really want to go through this long haul/grind another time?".

I was wondering (and thinking of posting in the other OT) how viable is it now to play through FF XI if you just want to experience the story? Like don't care about doing any end game raid stuff or that nonsense, just play through to the ending credits. Or is even doing that going to be ridiculous?

You're done raiding?

Top Bottom