• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Ken

So ends Alex Midas Savage (for now at least, maybe longer, who knows). Think I'm also getting close to that point you get to with your MMO experience where it clicks that "why are you still playing this, it's the same shit over and over" and "do you really, really want to go through this long haul/grind another time?".

I was wondering (and thinking of posting in the other OT) how viable is it now to play through FF XI if you just want to experience the story? Like don't care about doing any end game raid stuff or that nonsense, just play through to the ending credits. Or is even doing that going to be ridiculous?

That clicked with me like months ago.

The leveling in XI seemed rough still even with double XP when I was playing during the event. But I didn't know all the ins and outs of the leveling experience so maybe I was doing stuff wrong.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Isn't there a mobile FFXI game that's basically the story in SP form?

It's crazy how much FFXI gets ignored by SE. Even characters from XIV make it to games like Dissidia or Record Keeper, but you never see any sort of representation from FFXI in the spinoffs. SE treats it like it's some black sheep.

Squishy3

Isn't there a mobile FFXI game that's basically the story in SP form?

It's crazy how much FFXI gets ignored by SE. Even characters from XIV make it to games like Dissidia or Record Keeper, but you never see any sort of representation from FFXI in the spinoffs. SE treats it like it's some black sheep.
Shantotto is in Dissidia though.

Nah, when lore is invalidated we will still see the same complaints about how boring and lifeless the game is. I have complained about it before but then I felt I should just quit instead of playing. I quit, come back for a patch, rinse, and repeat.

Its finally mineeeeeeeeeeeeee

JxdkGKr.jpg

ebil

So ends Alex Midas Savage (for now at least, maybe longer, who knows). Think I'm also getting close to that point you get to with your MMO experience where it clicks that "why are you still playing this, it's the same shit over and over" and "do you really, really want to go through this long haul/grind another time?".

I was wondering (and thinking of posting in the other OT) how viable is it now to play through FF XI if you just want to experience the story? Like don't care about doing any end game raid stuff or that nonsense, just play through to the ending credits. Or is even doing that going to be ridiculous?
I did this last year while waiting for Heavensward and return to it whenever there's a lull in FF14. It's very viable, even solo with Trusts (NPCs that you summon to fight alongside you), at least up until Seekers of Adoulin and maybe the very last part of Rhapsodies that I haven't done yet.

It's going to take you a long time though if you don't know FF11 at all, as Vana'diel is huge and the expansions are extremely meaty.

The Rhapsodies Key Items and various QoL changes they made to the game throughout the years made XP, travelling, gearing up and going through the expansions relatively painless compared to what it was. There's basically an Aethernet system so you'll just have to travel once to each specific location and then you'll be able to teleport to it quickly. It's great and saves a lot of time.

Everything of course depends on your tolerance to playing a 13+ years old game, but I think it has aged gracefully. The cutscene storyboarding and direction in particular is really strong and often surpasses anything FF14 has in my opinion. It's a great time to play FF11.

The leveling in XI seemed rough still even with double XP when I was playing during the event. But I didn't know all the ins and outs of the leveling experience so maybe I was doing stuff wrong.
Yes, it's going to feel this way at the very beginning if you're uninformed but levelling gets very fast very quickly when you know what you're doing and have unlocked the essential features.

It takes less than 2 hours to level anything from 1 to 50 solo and I think it'd take me 10-15 hours to level a new job from 1 to 99, and I hadn't played the game for like 7-8 years when I reinstalled so I'm definitely not the most informed person on the subject. You need to bite the bullet at the beginning though, it's not representative at all of the current levelling pace. The limit break quests are probably the most time-consuming thing you'll do while levelling at this point but you only have to do them once.

Gaf, I need advice.

My current highest combat class is a 47 WHM and I just beat the Stone Vigil part storywise (40-41 quest level). Even way before doing Vigil I was high enough level to unlock Dzemael and can now do Aurum Vale too. My issue is this - I don't own Heavensward so 50 is my peak.
There is still a lot of story to go, I am fighting through FATEs and logs to get my GC rank up and dungeon runs for gear so I do have actual content to go through - essentially, I could get to 50 without much trouble, but I really don't want to waste all the potential EXP I could be getting. I could probably get Heavensward next month but only if I am lucky and there is a sale at that time. So, irl SE RNG basically. I could level other classes instead but I also don't want to hinder the story/content progress too much. And even if I do hit 50, spending a lot of time to get amazing gear for that level will probably not matter much in Heavensward.

So there, I'm stuck - I don't know how to proceed. Am I overthinking it or?

Error

Gaf, I need advice.

My current highest combat class is a 47 WHM and I just beat the Stone Vigil part storywise (40-41 quest level). Even way before doing Vigil I was high enough level to unlock Dzemael and can now do Aurum Vale too. My issue is this - I don't own Heavensward so 50 is my peak.
There is still a lot of story to go, I am fighting through FATEs and logs to get my GC rank up and dungeon runs for gear so I do have actual content to go through - essentially, I could get to 50 without much trouble, but I really don't want to waste all the potential EXP I could be getting. I could probably get Heavensward next month but only if I am lucky and there is a sale at that time. So, irl SE RNG basically. I could level other classes instead but I also don't want to hinder the story/content progress too much. And even if I do hit 50, spending a lot of time to get amazing gear for that level will probably not matter much in Heavensward.

You need to increase your item level anyway to unlock other content, the difference is that once Heavensward got released SE eased up the grind, but I checked to see how many MSQs I have to do to gain access to Heavensward's content... Yeah, I'm pretty sure even if you get the expansion you'll hit lv60 before actually getting to the content in the expansion, there's a lot of shit to do and if you are like me and get easily distracted with other stuff it could be awhile before you gain access to Heavensward's stuff. You could try and level up another job, doesn't take that long actually and it would help you experience a different play style.

Shantotto is in Dissidia though.
Ahhh, well I haven't played Dissidia and thought it got ignored.

I'm pretty sure there's nothing of FFXI in Record Keeper. I've been playing for awhile and I haven't seen anything about it yet.

Wilsongt

So final phase of A8S is literally just enrage? Lol

It's as if Mr. D And YoshiP literally went "Remember enrage strats from a certain coil turn? have fun."

Noi

I'm pretty sure there's nothing of FFXI in Record Keeper. I've been playing for awhile and I haven't seen anything about it yet.

There's nothing in the global version, but Japan has Shantotto and several XI dungeons. We just got XIV characters really early as part of the promotion for the game.

suzu

Gaf, I need advice.

If you can't get the expansion yet, don't sweat it. Just finish the MSQ as lv50. Try out some other jobs if you like.

Old players leveled from 50-60 in HW just fine without the extra MSQ exp from ARR.

Squishy3

Gaf, I need advice.

The Ironworks gear lasts until about the Aery, which is a level 55 dungeon. It's not immediately outdated. There'll be plenty for you to do and unlock until you can get HW anyway. All the level 50 dungeons, Hildibrand quests, GC stuff, etc. Plus the 2.1-2.55 quests take a decent amount of time to complete as well.

WolvenOne

Understandable on a certain level. Raiding still has some appeal for me, but honestly part of the reason I was able to pull myself away was because the story aspect is pretty much non-existent for Alexander. It ends up being just another fight to learn.

Coil may have been less accessible due to the lack of story mode fights, but darnit if you weren't invested in defeating Bahamut and saving the realm by the end. XD

Ken

[12:01][FC]<Galen Austad> first off
[12:01][FC]<Galen Austad> i look better than ryder
[12:02][FC]<Galen Austad> all day every day
[12:02][FC]<Galen Austad> because i'm not a giraffe

Squishy3

Understandable on a certain level. Raiding still has some appeal for me, but honestly part of the reason I was able to pull myself away was because the story aspect is pretty much non-existent for Alexander. It ends up being just another fight to learn.

Coil may have been less accessible due to the lack of story mode fights, but darnit if you weren't invested in defeating Bahamut and saving the realm by the end. XD
I'm personally really excited to see where it goes for the 3rd wing. I wanna know what the fuck Quickthinx's end-game is.

WolvenOne

I'm personally really excited to see where it goes for the 3rd wing. I wanna know what the fuck Quickthinx's end-game is.

Oh sure, 2nd Alex Normal actually got me interested in the story a bit. The problem is that this doesn't carry over to 2nd Alex Savage. The fights are entirely non-canon and failing to clear them has no potentially disastrous consequences for Eorzea. So Savage ends up being all the work of Coil (and more,) for a little less reward. I mean even the gear is less of a reward, since Secondaries matter even less in Heavensward.

The only real reason to do Savage is, if you have a group of friends you get along with, and you have fun doing that sort of stuff together. And I'm not discounting that, fights in FFXIV are hecka fun under those circumstances. It's just, if you don't have that going for you there isn't a whole lot else there to really motivate you.

Error

Man the first few levels as a CNJ are kind of... boring? Once the Tank draws all the aggro you just make sure his HP is high enough, and then apply Aero on the whole mob.

It'll probably be more fun as I gain more skills and dungeons become more complex but these first three dungeons have been pretty uninvolving so far.

Omni

Man the first few levels as a CNJ are kind of... boring? Once the Tank draws all the aggro you just make sure his HP is high enough, and then apply Aero on the whole mob.

It'll probably be more fun as I gain more skills and dungeons become more complex but these first three dungeons have been pretty uninvolving so far.
Yeah, it's kinda boring at first. AST literally consists of spamming Malefic and then using Essential Dignity on the tank occasionally.

Gets a bit more exciting once you get to Brayflox (like any job, really).

aceface

Comment from Miunih on Reddit on A8S:
We were 30 seconds ahead of enrage with a LOT of things going wrong and not optimised. Don't worry about dps check at all.

I mean, I know this is the 1% but it's still interesting to read. I guess it was mechanics that held them up?

Whm is like the most boring class in the game, IMO. It doesn't get more exciting at all, really. Okay, holy is cool but that is it really. Assize is nice, and tetra, but the leveling process was so boring for me. At least with Astrologian you have mobility with your cards and stuff. It is just overall a much more interesting class. I love Collective Unconscious, Synastry, lightspeed, etc. Just to name a few abilities. Celestial Opposition is nice as well if you want to get out of jail.

On a side note, I made great progress on Sephirot EX tonight. Maybe... 3 hours at it and got him to 30 percent about. I find that the pushing part is most annoying and I tend to screw it up sometimes. Everything else is fairly simple right now.

Thorgal

something i wanted to inquire about about Tanking .

I tanked Aurum vale yesterday with a fellow FC healer and while whe cleared it he did give me a few tips :

Always have a cooldown or 2 active during a fight .

Something like this :

FOF + rampart
Foresight + Convalescence
Bulwark + awareness

And lastly Sentinel after which FOF and Rampart should come off cooldown.

Would this be the correct way to do this ?

If yes , ive been doing it wrong and put healers through more stress without realizing it .

studyguy

So I chalk all my wins of Feast to simply being the guy picking up medals.

Like I went 10 games with 9 stacks almost immediately and never died. The few times I got focused I just stuck near healers and covered their butt till DPS got bored.

Seriously carrying 500 medals regularly and not dying just shows how dumb some players are.

Also keep using your CDs when possible as a pld if it's a dungeon, there's not really a reason to hold them outside of the final boss.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Fight or Flight isn't a defensive cooldown, it's a damage cooldown which means it can help you establish aggro on a target since it scales off your damage but generally just use it whenever it's up. The rest, yeah, try to have something up for every pull.

You're done raiding?

I'm honestly just so upset and depressed about the situation. I quit all my LS because of it and am just in radio silence mode in-game. We were progressing on Vortexer, but guess that wasn't enough. Fact that the people who left this time didn't show any interest in trying to continue with me makes me think this time around I was just being a bad and wasn't cutting it for them. I should have just done A4S for the mount and taken my advice on waiting until mid-cycle to jump back into raiding.

Ken

Fight or Flight isn't a defensive cooldown, it's a damage cooldown which means it can help you establish aggro on a target since it scales off your damage but generally just use it whenever it's up. The rest, yeah, try to have something up for every pull.

AFAIK in the opener you want to use it just before your first Goring so you can get 2 Gorings with 1 FoF. Throughout the fight you want to use it before a third (your biggest hit) WS in the combo.

Raijinken

I heard what happened with Tam and Expert and I'm really sorry about what they did. I don't know what happened with the rest of the group but I don't think you guys should have disbanded over the two of them leaving. Hopefully the six of you can try to get the group back together and find a new tank and caster.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
decided to make black mage my second class.

Out of curiosity : what is Miuniih of Elysium wearing to get that vivi look ?

God bless Lodestone

Replica Allagan Rod
Cashmere Hat of Casting
Replica High Allagan Coat of Casting
Saurian Gloves of Casting
Cashmere Breeches of Casting
Augmented Ironworks Boots of casting

Squishy3

Eh same goes for any sort of Seph EX party in PF! I just don't bother anymore
Eh, learning parties make it further in the fight than clear parties. Clear parties can't handle circles and disband after wiping to the first phase. :p

Like I joingeda Seph EX learning party in PF day 1 or 2 of 3.2 and we could handle the circles completely on the fly without assigned places for people to go. Now groups can't even handle that!

Error

Castrum Meridianum is probably the worst part of this game, and it's not the level design. What sucks is when getting grouped with people that want to speed run it. I was doing it today, for the tomes, and some people were new and of course you want to experience the cutscenes and all and take it slow, it's the first time, perfectly understandable.

Except some idiot wants to speedrun, and orders the tank to pull everything, for newbies jumping from 4-man parties to 8-man parties is a pretty big jump, I don't mind taking it slowly for newbies.

The healers orders the tanks to pull everything and they get killed, then the entire party wipes. If the healer can't keep up with a huge pull then why order the tank to pull a big group? Dude started saying we fucked up for not keeping him alive, yeah ok dude whatever.

It's better sometimes to pull a decent pack of trash, kill them and then pull the other. No need to order to pull a big ass group only to get wiped. Also WHM that spam Medica II, holy shit I swear the party's worst enemy.

I feel sorry for the noobs that want to experience this for the first time and take it slow.

Eldren

Eh, learning parties make it further in the fight than clear parties. Clear parties can't handle circles and disband after wiping to the first phase. :p

Like I joingeda Seph EX learning party in PF day 1 or 2 of 3.2 and we could handle the circles completely on the fly without assigned places for people to go. Now groups can't even handle that!

On Cerberus right now:

"Kill for my [sic], know everything, no other new people. Show totem or weapon to me." I mean... (Edit: they just changed it. Maybe they realised how it sounded.)

I always get a chuckle out of the ones that are like "NO BONUS help me get my clear". Or "2 wipes = disband, please bring big deeps and be patient." Do these people not realise the contradictions? It's weird.

Tenrius

I'm level 30 now and my current story quest is level 20-ish (just joined a GC). If someone wants to join, what's the best way for us to do it? I mean, should I make a new character or will my current one do just fine? It should be fairy easy to catch up (especially if we do everything together).

dramatis

I'm level 30 now and my current story quest is level 20-ish (just joined a GC). If someone wants to join, what's the best way for us to do it? I mean, should I make a new character or will my current one do just fine? It should be fairy easy to catch up (especially if we do everything together).
You can level a different class alongside your new buddy, although your exp gain might be a bit slower.

Whenever you do a dungeon or FATE together you will level down to your friend's level during that time, so you don't have to worry about the difference.

Castrum Meridianum is probably the worst part of this game, and it's not the level design. What sucks is when getting grouped with people that want to speed run it. I was doing it today, for the tomes, and some people were new and of course you want to experience the cutscenes and all and take it slow, it's the first time, perfectly understandable.

Except some idiot wants to speedrun, and orders the tank to pull everything, for newbies jumping from 4-man parties to 8-man parties is a pretty big jump, I don't mind taking it slowly for newbies.

The healers orders the tanks to pull everything and they get killed, then the entire party wipes. If the healer can't keep up with a huge pull then why order the tank to pull a big group? Dude started saying we fucked up for not keeping him alive, yeah ok dude whatever.

It's better sometimes to pull a decent pack of trash, kill them and then pull the other. No need to order to pull a big ass group only to get wiped. Also WHM that spam Medica II, holy shit I swear the party's worst enemy.

I feel sorry for the noobs that want to experience this for the first time and take it slow.

Any newer players i see coming up to level 50 i always recommend they ask for in party finder or a free company, or friends for a story run of those two dungeons. Its fairly easy to find players who want to do it for a throwback, or help newer players out. It is a shame so few in duty finder won't slow down for newer players.

Squishy3

Any newer players i see coming up to level 50 i always recommend they ask for in party finder or a free company, or friends for a story run of those two dungeons. Its fairly easy to find players who want to do it for a throwback, or help newer players out. It is a shame so few in duty finder won't slow down for newer players.
Plus the experience is ruined anyway even synced, so now one 50 and 3 or 4 60s can just unsync it and that way you don't need to drag along very many people for one person to watch the cutscenes.

Valor

Glad that we were able to help three people to a seph clear tonight. Hopefully we can get a few more people through the fight soon.

Top Bottom