• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Thorgal

So what do you think is the most rewarding DPS class in terms of playability?

depends on what you find rewarding ;

Black mage if you want to see huge numbers but they have to stand still to be at their best .

Monk if you want the highest dps in the game ( provided you keep greased lightning up and hit your positional s . they attack really fast .

DRG if you want to look baddass and do huge burst attacks ( provided you can keep BOTD up ) and you have a valid excuse when you die due to AOE attacks .

Ninja might be lowest of the DPS classes but makes up for that with amazing party/Raid utility .

Ken

ffxiv_03242016_070117_zpssytgwitp.png

it's ogre

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp

depends on what you find rewarding ;

Black mage if you want to see huge numbers but they have to stand still to be at their best .

Monk if you want the highest dps in the game ( provided you keep greased lightning up and hit your positional s . they attack really fast .

DRG if you want to look baddass and do huge burst attacks ( provided you can keep BOTD up ) and you have a valid excuse when you die due to AOE attacks .

Ninja might be lowest of the DPS classes but makes up for that with amazing party/Raid utility .

I enjoy the NIN, but lag can screw your mudras hard. I tried pugilist a bit, had to, to get access to NIN but all the positionals :eek:

Warrior I need to try, I played a bit of the Marauder to get some of the cross-class skills for my PLD but I need to play for a bit more.

The boss in Amdapor Keep HM was fun.

Valor

So what do you think is the most rewarding DPS class in terms of playability?
I think the DPS classes that have the best game feel to them are Monk, Dragoon, Machinist, and partially Black Mage and Summoner.

I think Monk really flowed well at 50 and the transition from 50-60 made it feel better when you aren't hitting things in the face. Having options at your disposal with things like Form Shift/Chakra/and Tornado Kick make the class feel a bit more dynamic and I dunno. It feels good when you hit stuff the right way.

Dragoon is pretty satisfying when you get into it because the Blood of the Dragon juggle versus Skoguls feels pretty rewarding. The only attacks I'm not a huge fan of feel wise are the fourth hits of the combos. I like the randomization aspect of them to keep you on your toes and to make you react, but Wheeling Thrust in particular doesn't feel "good" to use unlike a Life Surged Full Thrust.

Summoner really hits its stride in Dread Trance to me but outside of it it's kind of whatever. Black Mage feels pretty good once you are at 60, but something feels off about it.

Bard just still feels incredibly clunky to me and while I can play it and have played it, I don't think it feels anywhere near as satisfying to play as Machinist does. NInja also to me doesn't have a satisfying feel to it because the amount of upkeep to that class is so extreme versus the small payoff that you get from it.

I enjoy the NIN, but lag can screw your mudras hard. I tried pugilist a bit, had to, to get access to NIN but all the positionals :eek:

Warrior I need to try, I played a bit of the Marauder to get some of the cross-class skills for my PLD but I need to play for a bit more.

The boss in Amdapor Keep HM was fun.
I mean the recent mudra fix makes the mudra lag kind of not a great point of contention anymore. They do lag at times but I don't think I see people bunnying nearly as much.

Warrior is pretty satisfying with Fell Cleaves and stance dancing in a way no other tank class really does. I enjoyed the leveling process from 50-60 and playing 50 synced content with warrior pales in comparison to warrior at 60. It's much more enjoyable.

Error

I don't see the real benefits of pulling big (at least 2 packs of mobs) in this game, seems slower to me than doing a single pull.

I was doing Wanderer's Palace HM with a pug, and the dps asked for big pulls. So I pulled 2 packs of mobs at a time, shit took forever and avoiding all the telegraphs is just not fun.

You can cut a bit of time say a minute or 2 maybe 5 minutes at maximum, during a dungeon run. Just seems worthless to me.

Maybe the pug I was with was not geared towards big pulls. I don't know. Dungeon took forever, almost 30 minutes, it takes me 20 minutes max most of the time.

I might try Warrior, need to level up my MRD but it seems that having classes at high levels give low level classes an exp bonus because I swear my CNJ leveled up super fast, so that shouldn't take long.

I tried the BLM a bit, but it seems slow, granted most of these classes start out slow but the BLM stood out. I'm not a big fan of dps classes with casting times.

Bard doesn't even seem remotely interesting to me lol, but I haven't tried it so I don't know.

BadRNG

I don't see the real benefits of pulling big (at least 2 packs of mobs) in this game, seems slower to me than doing a single pull.

I might try Warrior, need to level up my MRD but it seems that having classes at high levels give low level classes an exp bonus because I swear my CNJ leveled up super fast, so that shouldn't take long.
You do need good DPS, or just...not bad...dps, but big pulls is definitely faster. 5 minutes is a pretty good amount of time saved considering these dungeons are usually 25-20m long. If you have DPS (and tank/healer for that matter!) who know how to speed/big pull properly it is noticeably faster. It works better with cooldowns, keeps stacks for stuff, and just...mathematically makes sense.

That'st he armory bonus, you get 100% extra exp for battle classes lower level than another 1-50, and it's 50% extra 50-60.

Squishy3

Depends on the classes you have with you too. Like if you have two melee they'd run out of TP pretty quickly in big pulls and would need to fall back to single target DPS, while if you have a BLM they can go ham and can regenerate the MP that lets them do big AOE damage for free.

chrono01

I'm posting this here in-case those in-game didn't catch the mention (or weren't on and you're suddenly curious as to where I've been). No, I didn't trip and fall down a well somewhere on the outskirts of Limsa Lominsa. No, I'm not at the bottom of the ocean with an anchor fastened securely to my waist. I've decided to leave the world of FFXIV behind me, as the current slate of content (and raiding, in general) no longer holds much interest for me. Therefore, I had no choice but to cancel my subscription. :(

I'm not sure many people even know who I am or not (Makoto Narukami), as the last several months I've been a relative ghost when it came to logging on (mostly due to my dis-interest in the game). If I crossed paths with you and left a positive impression, I would like to thank you for giving me the privilege of getting to know you. If I had the adverse affect, I'm sorry that I upset you and I'd like to correct this mistake by welcoming you to my cryp---I mean, estate room in the Free Company housing, equipped with soundproof walls and no windows. We'll talk it over and come to some sort of an understanding.

I've been with GAF since the release of FFXIV those many years back and, shockingly, have been part of the same static across those many years. While a few members of my static did fall off/switch out over time (I will always miss you guys), the bulk remained throughout which is both surprising and pleasing to see. As for the GAF Free Company as a whole, I've had the opportunity to talk with many of you great people, so thanks to you all (current, or should I say, past static included) for the memories I will undoubtedly never forget.

Onward and outward to greater things, but the battles/encounters I've experienced (as well as the people I've played/interacted with) in FFXIV will be forever remembered by me.

So to everyone still playing this game, thank you for everything and best of luck to you all.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Take care and thanks again Makoto.

Pray for Fedex and enjoy the beach.

I'm posting this here in-case those in-game didn't catch the mention (or weren't on and you're suddenly curious as to where I've been). No, I didn't trip and fall down a well somewhere on the outskirts of Limsa Lominsa. No, I'm not at the bottom of the ocean with an anchor fastened securely to my waist. I've decided to leave the world of FFXIV behind me, as the current slate of content (and raiding, in general) no longer holds much interest for me. Therefore, I had no choice but to cancel my subscription. :(

I'm not sure many people even know who I am or not (Makoto Narukami), as the last several months I've been a relative ghost when it came to logging on (mostly due to my dis-interest in the game). If I crossed paths with you and left a positive impression, I would like to thank you for giving me the privilege of getting to know you. If I had the adverse affect, I'm sorry that I upset you and I'd like to correct this mistake by welcoming you to my cryp---I mean, estate room in the Free Company housing, equipped with soundproof walls and no windows. We'll talk it over and come to some sort of an understanding.

I've been with GAF since the release of FFXIV those many years back and, shockingly, have been part of the same static across those many years. While a few members of my static did fall off/switch out over time (I will always miss you guys), the bulk remained throughout which is both surprising and pleasing to see. As for the GAF Free Company as a whole, I've had the opportunity to talk with many of you great people, so thanks to you all (current, or should I say, past static included) for the memories I will undoubtedly never forget.

Onward and outward to greater things, but the battles/encounters I've experienced (as well as the people I've played/interacted with) in FFXIV will be forever remembered by me.

So to everyone still playing this game, thank you for everything and best of luck to you all.

bye makoto. Hopefully all those gatcha games dont steal your money

chrono01

o7

You'll be missed Makoto ;_;
I'll miss you guys too. :(

Take care and thanks again Makoto.

Pray for Fedex and enjoy the beach.
Thanks, and have fun in there! I'm sure you'll do well. :)

And yes, a little beach-time rest-and-relaxation is exactly what I need right now.

Dammit, Makoto.

Bye, it's been fun.
Thanks to you all for making the raid experience such an enjoyable one. It has indeed been fun.

bye makoto. Hopefully all those gatcha games dont steal your money
I think we both know the answer to that.

ksmbyzU.gif

Makoto going to full time One Piece Treasure Cruise.
Time to make my dream of becoming King of the Pirates a reality.

Omni

Joined a few clear parties for Seph Ex tonight. Just to try and help people.

One group was particularly... ugh. The DPS had no idea what they were doing in the third phase and were ignoring things like grabbing tethers or moving when that green aura appears. Just stuff like that. The frustrating part was that the tanks and the other healer clearly knew what to do and quite frankly, deserved to clear (us four basically made it to enrage with 42% health left on Seph). 40 minutes of that and I ended up leaving the party. Don't get me wrong, I like helping my friends and even random people with learning these fights. It's fun. And I certainly don't expect people to run through once and suddenly become experts. But I just wish some people had the awareness to realise that by joining a clear party, unless you know EVERYTHING and are able to clear, then you're ruining it for everyone.

Even happens in farm parties. Yesterday a Black Mage joined one of ours without telling us about his bonus (which wouldn't have been a problem, by the way). Then, after him dying several times in the first phase, he admits that he's currently watching a Mr. Happy video on the fight and he had never stepped foot in there. We had to replace him. Just wasted everyone's time.

ramble ramble ramble

tgl3

Neo Member
Joined a few clear parties for Seph Ex tonight. Just to try and help people.

One group was particularly... ugh. The DPS had no idea what they were doing in the third phase and were ignoring things like grabbing tethers or moving when that green aura appears. Just stuff like that. The frustrating part was that the tanks and the other healer clearly knew what to do and quite frankly, deserved to clear (us four basically made it to enrage with 42% health left on Seph). 40 minutes of that and I ended up leaving the party. Don't get me wrong, I like helping my friends and even random people with learning these fights. It's fun. And I certainly don't expect people to run through once and suddenly become experts. But I just wish some people had the awareness to realise that by joining a clear party, unless you know EVERYTHING and are able to clear, then you're ruining it for everyone.

Even happens in farm parties. Yesterday a Black Mage joined one of ours without telling us about his bonus (which wouldn't have been a problem, by the way). Then, after him dying several times in the first phase, he admits that he's currently watching a Mr. Happy video on the fight and he had never stepped foot in there. We had to replace him. Just wasted everyone's time.

ramble ramble ramble

This is exactly why I've long since given up trying to clear the fight in PF (no static atm). You can join as many "clear party MUST HAVE 100% EXPERIENCE" parties as possible but there's always 2-3 muppets who eat aoes or stand in the slams. Even forming my own group didn't help as whilst I can get 5-6 competent people the remaining two are always terrible no matter how many times I cycle people out for new ones.

My most memorable is a black mage wiping in P3 then, after questioning, informing us they had not been to P3 yet. In a clear party. Sigh. As you said, a waste of time for everyone!

I've seen enrage about 16 times and attempted the fight probably about 70 times. Still no clear. Just gonna wait for my lore weapon I think.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Oh wow, end of an era for sure :( but if you're not enjoying the game anymore than no one can blame you for wanting to quit - especially when they haven't changed the formula much these past 2 1/2 years.

I knew you hooked me on Dokkan Battle for a reason!

Tiops

Started to learn Sephirot EX yesterday on PF. Oh boy, it's going to take a while. Some discussion happened regarding the positionals for the circles with the solo Ein Sof (we had a guy that came from Gilgamesh and said that they do it in a way, but the rest of the team said to follow the Behemoth way, people kept arguing...), so we almost wiped every time after that :(

But we managed to reach phase 3 a few times, and for the Main Tank it's absurdly easy to get there, so I'll create some "P3 progression" parties tonight. I hope I can clear it in less than 2 weeks to at least use the i220 weapon a few times.

Phase 3 of Sephirot EX is actually pretty simple. People need to stop dying to Yesod and orbs. Take a minute to look at your debuff and stop wiping us. I'm about very frustrated with this fight. I Get to 9 percent one night and then get another party that cant breach 40 percent. It is horrible. If I don't clear it this weekend, chances are I'll stop caring because I'll have my hailstorm weapon in 2 weeks, anyway.

studyguy

Phase 3 is completely mindless after a certain point. As a tank the only dynamic thing about it to me is what color I get. That's about it.

Farm party i was in had people dying to Ripper Blast after his ultimate or falling off...or simple stuff. May need to go back to my rule of leaving a farm party if we start off with 3 straight wipes.

Valor

I wish most of you guys were on ultros so that we could get some of you through that fight. It's really not that bad but yeah you do need people who know what they're doing.

Also rip makoto. You will be missed <3

I've done the hard-core raiding thing in World of Warcraft. I decided when I started playing this that I'd be happy with normal mode clears and not to worry about "Extreme" or "Savage" modes.

Of course, there are the pony/bird farms, but those are something else entirely. ;-)

IvorB

I wasn't even aware you could upgrade Poetics.

Yeah you can upgrade them to ilevel 130 I believe which should cover you until around level 55/56.

Dragoon is pretty satisfying when you get into it because the Blood of the Dragon juggle versus Skoguls feels pretty rewarding. The only attacks I'm not a huge fan of feel wise are the fourth hits of the combos. I like the randomization aspect of them to keep you on your toes and to make you react, but Wheeling Thrust in particular doesn't feel "good" to use unlike a Life Surged Full Thrust.

Summoner really hits its stride in Dread Trance to me but outside of it it's kind of whatever. Black Mage feels pretty good once you are at 60, but something feels off about it.

I agree that those new dragoon moves aren't great animation-wise. I much preferred the style of animations they were using for DRG pre-50 moves. Those two are kind of random.

Yeah you can upgrade them to ilevel 130 I believe which should cover you until around level 55/56.

I agree that those new dragoon moves aren't great animation-wise. I much preferred the style of animations they were using for DRG pre-50 moves. Those two are kind of random.

Monk wins in the animation department. Nothing changed in the basic rotation, but now we get to use 3 cool looking oGCD hits between everything. Sure I forget to blow tornado kick before most transitions where I would lose grease, but whatever. When i do use it i look dope as hell

IvorB

All the best to you, mate!

Error

This game has SE's best designed bosses of all time. They got really creative with some of the encounters here.

Only the questing is pretty mediocre, some of the MSQs are such a chore, thankfully having dungeons/trials unlocked by progressing through them is nice 'hanging-carrot' to motivate the player to put up with those quests.

Demoskinos

I think Solo Queue 4v4 Feast might just be the most soul crushing thing in this game. People are just so fucking bad and I get matched with them constantly. It is going to take me for goddamn ever to get to 200 wins for the mount. Just fuck man. Can people learn how to play? It is really not that hard to focus your burst all on the same target.

Reszo

Just ran fist of the son for the first time and we wiped because of the bombs so the second time I tried to turn into a gorilla in help but I didn't know how to attack. We won but...

How do you hit the bombs with the gorilla for future reference?

Squishy3

Just ran fist of the son for the first time and we wiped because of the bombs so the second time I tried to turn into a gorilla in help but I didn't know how to attack. We won but...

How do you hit the bombs with the gorilla for future reference?
It's a skill on your hotbar. Key 1 if you're playing on keyboard, same thing as being able to attack when you turn into a bird.

Reszo

It's a skill on your hotbar. Key 1 if you're playing on keyboard, same thing as being able to attack when you turn into a bird.

hmm that's weird, it didn't do it like the bird, my bar only had my regular skills and they just all greyed out. Im using controller. I'll have to try again.

iammeiam

hmm that's weird, it didn't do it like the bird, my bar only had my regular skills and they just all greyed out. Im using controller. I'll have to try again.

If that happens again, tap R1. Turning into a Gorilla changes your cross hot bar, but if you trigger a hot bar swap it'll go back to normal. tapping R1 should pull up the gorilla mode bar again.

Omni

Empyreal Arrow on Bard feels so out of place. The timing is just... wrong. Seems to clip into my GCD. It's not just me, right? Can't tell if it's my latency. The more I play, the more I'm getting frustrated WM mechanics.

I'm considering trying Machinist instead. Already have a Seph weapon ready for that. Hmmm. Even BLM could be interesting for the big DPS.

Valor

Empyreal Arrow on Bard feels so out of place. The timing is just... wrong. Seems to clip into my GCD. It's not just me, right? Can't tell if it's my latency. The more I play, the more I'm getting frustrated WM mechanics.

EA is a goofy skill. It has its own cooldown separate from the GCD but it has a cast time. It will clip into your GCD unless you lead into it with:
1. A Straighter Shot proc
2. Feint
3. That's it.

That's the main reason I've been harping for a while now to anyone who cares enough to listen (read: no one) that Bard feels clunky. EA should be instant cast like Sidewinder. I think that would solve a lot of problems.

WM isn't bad in and of itself. It's a nice mechanic and does make Bard more enjoyable than it was in 2.x, I feel. However, compared to how MCH handles Gauss Barrel, Bard just feels so sedentary by comparison. I think it needs adjustments but I have no clue what they could do. Machinist works because of the procs allowing you movement and options, where Bard just is a huge game of trying to keep the GCDs you will lose to a minimum.

chrono01

Oh wow, end of an era for sure :( but if you're not enjoying the game anymore than no one can blame you for wanting to quit - especially when they haven't changed the formula much these past 2 1/2 years.

I knew you hooked me on Dokkan Battle for a reason!
Do not resist the allure of the gatcha. The gatcha will consume you. Let the gatcha consume you.

But yeah, when I found that FFXIV lost its appeal to me, I felt it was time to move on. I've been feeling like it for a while (I expressed my feelings to my static early on), but wanted to give the new patch (and Midas) a try first. It held my attention a bit, but not for long. Definitely a difficult decision to make (so many emotions), but I feel it's for the best.

In the end, no one was able to get Makoto to level something...anything else to 60 other than BLM! You blew it Ultrosgaf, failures
They tried, they really did. You have to commend their efforts, but in the end my resistance stat was too strong.

Also, I was too lazy. Probably more that.

Take care Makoto! cya

Also rip makoto. You will be missed <3

All the best to you, mate!
Thanks, you guys. My thoughts and well-wishes remain with you all. Enjoy yourselves out there!

Top Bottom