• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

HunRevan

I have bit of a problem. I wanted to try out the free login stuff because I havent played for a bit. I cant login to my account because it requires one time password. I changed phones since but the app requires me to give a registration password obtained from square enix account management system. Fun fact.. you cant login to your se account without one time password... wtf... now what?

Guess Who

Banned
I have bit of a problem. I wanted to try out the free login stuff because I havent played for a bit. I cant login to my account because it requires one time password. I changed phones since but the app requires me to give a registration password obtained from square enix account management system. Fun fact.. you cant login to your se account without one time password... wtf... now what?

If you set up OTP you should've gotten (and written down somewhere) an emergency removal key you can use to disable OTP in such scenarios.

https://secure.square-enix.com/account/app/svc/coercioncan

If you don't have that, contact Square Enix support and cross your fingers.

New void ark is outdoors? Didn't see that one coming.

Finally got around to finishing the dungeons for my relic, now for the long time consuming part of collecting 20 of the four items and it's HQ items.

Valor

What isn't clunky about CHB? I looked at a video of a world-class MCH playing with a gamepad and I was like "This is some Stepmania right here"
I think about that every time I do my opener and I'm amazed I don't mess up more than I already do. Adding double taps into that shit is just insanity.

Since when do ground AOE abilities snap to a target?
3.2! Embrace the /ac "Rook Autoturret" <me>

I'll see you doing chores for that floofyness.
... Touché.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Summoner or Black Mage?

I want to level up a spellcasting class and I'm not sure. Keep in mind that I like seeing explosions and stuff.

Already have a melee DPS in NIN, a tank with PLD and a healer in my level 22 CNJ, which I'm leveling slowly. Need something different and I figured an offensive spellcaster is the only style I've to try.

Summoner or Black Mage?

I want to level up a spellcasting class and I'm not sure. Keep in mind that I like seeing explosions and stuff.

Already have a melee DPS in NIN, a tank with PLD and a healer in my level 22 CNJ, which I'm leveling slowly. Need something different and I figured an offensive spellcaster is the only style I've to try.
Both have their pros and cons, BLM does more damage but it takes way more effort to maintain that damage in hectic fights - fucking Sephirot stop wasting my Enochs - while SMN has more leeway to move around.

I prefer BLM because Fire 4 crits are beautiful but both are equally viable and good.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Summoner or Black Mage?

Probably Black Mage so as long as you don't mind being a turret caster. BLM has superior single target damage while SMN is king of AoE.

Enjolras

Neo Member
Summoner or Black Mage?

SMN is a little short on big explosions, but it has (imo) the most satisfying AOE big boom at level 60 where you literally see packs of mobs melt when Deathflare goes off.

Plus, you have a bit more flexibility in the rotation when you have to move.

And this is coming from someone who ended up "maining" BLM as my caster at the end of 2.5. Enochian is messing with my head more than it should.

Ken

if they ease up on the materia melding requirements I might actually start using the system! The fact that you need to keep up your crafting discipline level relative equal to the armor/weapon's level is ridiculous especially for someone like me that doesn't bother much with crafting/gathering. You have to level up the discipline pretty much on par with your class/job level, and it's not just one discipline we are talkng about, it's at the very least 2 crafting disciplines depending on the class you are using, for PLD it'd be 1. armorer 2. blacksmith.

oh and I forgot you need carbonized matter, too. Only possible via mining or logging. Yeah too much of a hassle for players that aren't in the end-game yet.

You can ask other people to meld for you, and carbonized matter can be purchased from the market board or traded for Esoterics (IV and V).

---

More Feast changes hopefully includes Repose nerf.

Eldren

That Mr Happy video is a bit confusing. I thought Summoner was the go-to choice for raise so healers don't burn through their MP? And Blizzard 2 is actually a great choice for cross class because it's a DPS increase on 2 or more targets (or 3 in Dreadwyrm Trance). Not to mention for other utility it has the enhanced versions of Virus and Eye For An Eye, plus Ifrit can stun if necessary. Outside of Deathflare it's not very flashy though and Fire 4 is literally an explosion so BLM wins that one easily.

The idea of talking A6S nerfs before lore weapon week is pretty ridiculous--Slap 10 more iLevels on all your DPS weapons and it drastically changes the fight. 6 is also exactly the fight everyone who was complaining about the scary awful A3S DPS check asked for. The DPS check isn't that bad and is going to be even less of a deal in two weeks, and everything else is just the mechanics heavy encounter people claimed to want over DPS checks, with all the autowipe mechanics people missed from SCoB.

A6S isn't 3, and if it kills the raid community it's because the game itself outside of raiding is underwhelming these days. It makes me incredibly curious how the community will react to 8, which from what I've seen in large parts is a more evil version of 6. 6's biggest sin seems to be that it's not the pushover 2 was; instead of ezmode ezmode GIANT WALL TERRIBLE FIGHT, Midas seems to be ezmode MECHANICS CHECK DPS CHECK MECHANICS AND GEAR AND SLIGHT DPS CHECK; seems more of a curve than Gordias.

I don't mean to be rude, I think you're living in a bubble.

iammeiam

I don't mean to be rude, I think you're living in a bubble.

I'm not sure what is so bubble-impacted for me. The game has a long history of essentially gear-nerfing current tier fights. That it takes 7 weeks to get a lore weapon without an A6S clear is intentional and means week 7 will see a shift in the A6S experience. This is already a massive difference from 3, since if a group got A1S week 1 and A2S week 2, they had Eso weapons by the time they took 3 on seriously and had no weapon upgrades in the foreseeable future.

Lore weapons will mean only one dash set even with multiple deaths on Blaster (doable now, but tight, should be a nonissue in a couple weeks.) Given that dashes are one of the biggest hurdles in early progression, cutting out the second dash for everyone is huge. Cutting out the third Chakram on Brawler is huge. Increasing the damage done by everyone on Brawler adds is a big deal--compare and contrast early progression A3S adds with later A3S adds and a little damage is a big difference. Increasing the damage done to Midan gunners on Swindler is a big deal. Increased damage means enrage overall becomes less of an issue.

Enumeration and Vortexer are basically the two things least impacted by this, but Enumeration and Elemental Jammer are straight out of the SCoB playbook. People asked for this.

If there's actually an epidemic of people quitting raiding because A6S is too hard and they don't think they can outgear it, okay, but of everyone I know of who's dropped the game lately that's been the case for nobody.

IvorB

Summoner or Black Mage?

If you want big explosions then look no further than BLM. It can be a bit dull in the early levels though as a heads up.

Error

Thanks for the replies guys, went with BLM. I like big numbers and explosions. I'll try SMN later.

aceface

Increased weapon damage, increased main stat, and increased vitality from the i230 weapons... This will lead to fewer mechanics being dealt with per robot, timings that make the tank debuffs drop, and providing more time for recoveries. Then possible nerfs on top of this?!

I imagine they will wait until after week 7 and tome weapons and see how the numbers look before putting in any possible nerfs.

Actually, making everyone wait 7 weeks for those weapons is a nice way to let the hardcore earn their e-cred before opening the door for more people. They should have made it 5 weeks or something though to keep the natives from getting restless.

Error

54ffe5266025c-dog1.jpg

Me, when doing a trial for the first time.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Lastnight was a pretty good time. Since I was opening the Primal dungeons on Hard I decided to go back and do the ARR Relic quests. It went a lot easier than when I first read about it months ago. The Relic is no where near as good as my current bow. But I'm real anal when it comes to completing things.

Jaeyden

Well, you can turn off effects entirely for anyone that isn't in your party. Don't remember where in options it is, though.

Bumping this cause I don't think you can on console. If anyone knows, please point the right direction. I've looked everywhere on PS4 but I'm convinced you can't.

Squishy3

Bumping this cause I don't think you can on console. If anyone knows, please point the right direction. I've looked everywhere on PS4 but I'm convinced you can't.
It's character config -> control settings (this is the default menu you start on but just making sure you know) -> character tab -> battle effects, and you should see these options if they're available on PS4. If they aren't, that's seriously baffling. I can understand not having graphics settings like the PC version has, but I don't see why they wouldn't include these.

smimXUf.png

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I'm not sure what is so bubble-impacted for me. The game has a long history of essentially gear-nerfing current tier fights. That it takes 7 weeks to get a lore weapon without an A6S clear is intentional and means week 7 will see a shift in the A6S experience. This is already a massive difference from 3, since if a group got A1S week 1 and A2S week 2, they had Eso weapons by the time they took 3 on seriously and had no weapon upgrades in the foreseeable future.

Lore weapons will mean only one dash set even with multiple deaths on Blaster (doable now, but tight, should be a nonissue in a couple weeks.) Given that dashes are one of the biggest hurdles in early progression, cutting out the second dash for everyone is huge. Cutting out the third Chakram on Brawler is huge. Increasing the damage done by everyone on Brawler adds is a big deal--compare and contrast early progression A3S adds with later A3S adds and a little damage is a big difference. Increasing the damage done to Midan gunners on Swindler is a big deal. Increased damage means enrage overall becomes less of an issue.

Enumeration and Vortexer are basically the two things least impacted by this, but Enumeration and Elemental Jammer are straight out of the SCoB playbook. People asked for this.

If there's actually an epidemic of people quitting raiding because A6S is too hard and they don't think they can outgear it, okay, but of everyone I know of who's dropped the game lately that's been the case for nobody.

He's saying that 6 and 7 should probably have been switched with regard to the gear cycle. Looking at Awake - the best group on Ultros - it took them two weeks to clear 6 and less than one to clear 7. Other groups are still working on 6 almost 6 weeks out which is abnormal compared to T7, T11 and A2S where a lot more than 5 groups on the whole server or whatever had cleared. That's what Mike is getting at.

Edit: Patch 3.25 on Monday. Maintenance starts at 11PM EDT... RIP http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/ca7874c6c3624791909183a2f2d4d89adef44138

KanameYuuki

Is it too late to get into the game for new comers?

I really want to scratch my MMO itch but I don't have a decent PC currently to try any of the thousands out there but I have my PS4 with me.

My main concern is that there were already a good bunch of huge updates done as far as I know, and I gave the 14 trial a shot a good while ago but I found it so overwhelming.

I have some questions, It is on its entirely cross play with PC right? Can I buy the $19.99 basic version and then if I get really committed upgrade to Heavensward? How friendly is the community for the most part?

Error

Not at all, I started playing almost 2 months ago, and it doesn't feel overwhelming. They have eased up on the grinding for all pre-heavensward content just stick to MSQs while doing some group content here and there, you should be fine.

You shouldn't need to grind anything, unless you choose to, at least until Heavensward's endgame.

Ken

Is it too late to get into the game for new comers?

I really want to scratch my MMO itch but I don't have a decent PC currently to try any of the thousands out there but I have my PS4 with me.

My main concern is that there were already a good bunch of huge updates done as far as I know, and I gave the 14 trial a shot a good while ago but I found it so overwhelming.

I have some questions, It is on its entirely cross play with PC right? Can I buy the $19.99 basic version and then if I get really committed upgrade to Heavensward? How friendly is the community for the most part?

Yeah it's entirely cross-play with PC/PS4/PS3 though you need individual copies of the base game and expansion per system.

You don't need Heavensward until you're level 50 anyways so you should be ok with the basic version. It also probably shouldn't be too hard to find the base game for cheap since it goes on sale somewhat frequently.

KanameYuuki

It also probably shouldn't be too hard to find the base game for cheap since it goes on sale somewhat frequently.

I hate the fact that this game is always on sale when I don't feel like buying it lol, wasn't it around $10 like 3-4 weeks ago?

Hummm I don't know if I should just jump in or wait.

iammeiam

He's saying that 6 and 7 should probably have been switched with regard to the gear cycle. Looking at Awake - the best group on Ultros - it took them two weeks to clear 6 and less than one to clear 7. Other groups are still working on 6 almost 6 weeks out which is abnormal compared to T7, T11 and A2S where a lot more than 5 groups on the whole server or whatever had cleared. That's what Mike is getting at.

Edit: Patch 3.25 on Monday. Maintenance starts at 11PM EDT... RIP http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/ca7874c6c3624791909183a2f2d4d89adef44138

He responded to me saying A6S would be easier with lore weapons in two weeks, wasn't singlehandedly killing the game, and it was too early to talk nerfbat with telling me I live in a bubble.

I'm not disputing that the raid pacing is different, just that there's no reason to think it's game-killing awful or inherently bad to stagger pacing so it's fast, slow, fast, slow--a quick fight after a hard one vs two struggle fights in a row isn't a terrible idea, but it does require the player base accepting coil pacing isn't sacrosanct. I don't think there's anything inherently sheltered about saying they probably don't need to reevaluate the nerfbat yet and comparisons to A3S are extremely premature.

We're still working on 6. We were tentatively hoping to kill it this week, but things happen and plans change. It's not a real gear check holding us back so much as bad at mechanics, but if we don't end up getting it next week lore weapons will make the whole thing way easier despite our mechanical failings. Knowing that 7 will probably go down quickly after is actually a positive, for me, given that 8 looks like it will be a barrel of hilarious wipes forever.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
We're still working on 6. We were tentatively hoping to kill it this week, but things happen and plans change. It's not a real gear check holding us back so much as bad at mechanics, but if we don't end up getting it next week lore weapons will make the whole thing way easier despite our mechanical failings. Knowing that 7 will probably go down quickly after is actually a positive, for me, given that 8 looks like it will be a barrel of hilarious wipes forever.

There's no real gear check anywhere in Midas besides a certain HP threshold you want for A8 to survive highly tuned share damage mechanics. A group in our FC is complaining they have to, get this, hold DPS in A8.

Jaeyden

It's character config -> control settings (this is the default menu you start on but just making sure you know) -> character tab -> battle effects, and you should see these options if they're available on PS4. If they aren't, that's seriously baffling. I can understand not having graphics settings like the PC version has, but I don't see why they wouldn't include these.

Found it. Cheers!

There's no real gear check anywhere in Midas besides a certain HP threshold you want for A8 to survive highly tuned share damage mechanics. A group in our FC is complaining they have to, get this, hold DPS in A8.
Doesn't one of the earlier floors have a HP check as well? I remember reading about a raid-wide buster that hit for like 16k unmitigated and did that twice in the span of 3 seconds, I think it was in A5S? Anyways, I was told people were getting Vit-melded accessories due to that and using Vit potions in that part of the fight.

ebil

Doesn't one of the earlier floors have a HP check as well? I remember reading about a raid-wide buster that hit for like 16k unmitigated and did that twice in the span of 3 seconds, I think it was in A5S? Anyways, I was told people were getting Vit-melded accessories due to that and using Vit potions in that part of the fight.
It's A6s and it's not twice in the span of 3 seconds at all if the mechanic is performed correctly. You can delay the second hit enough to top everyone off easily.

I didn't know you played this game.

Are you on Ultros?

boooooooooo

booooooooooooooooooooooooooo

come to Ultros
Behemoth is where my IRL friends and people from my timezone play on :( I need sensible raid times because my schedule is pretty hectic.

But it's on the same datacenter as Ultros so once the cross server PF is implemented we shall wipe together.

Top Bottom