• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Finally looked over the new anima step. No rush for this next anima since no raid group atm. Not like it matters since Lore Weapon will be jus fine. But doing a weekly for five weeks and you get the upgrade should be easy enough + spending esoterics when possible.

Seeing as how hard it is to get into a group right now, I must say I kind of wish there was 4-person raid content to possibly make things more flexible/make more availability. Really sucks not having a group and you mostly play just to raid. Longer this goes on, more likely I am to just unsub until 3.3.

WolvenOne

Finally looked over the new anima step. No rush for this next anima since no raid group atm. Not like it matters since Lore Weapon will be jus fine. But doing a weekly for five weeks and you get the upgrade should be easy enough + spending esoterics when possible.

Seeing as how hard it is to get into a group right now, I must say I kind of wish there was 4-person raid content to possibly make things more flexible/make more availability. Really sucks not having a group and you mostly play just to raid. Longer this goes on, more likely I am to just unsub until 3.3.

Oh I definitely feel for ya here. I mean, right this second I'm not looking to get back into raiding, but I'm definitely dreading having to look for a new group when I'm ready to jump back in. <_<;;

Finding new groups, and working out a good schedule, were always the most frustrating parts of raiding for me. :p

Wazzy

Banned
Biz bird farming is so slow and boring. It's made worse when you can't get good groups together and they end up disbanding. I've had maybe three good farm groups which ended up with two people getting birds but they all bailed after they got them(I mean I understand since the drop rate is abysmal but I wish people would be more open to sticking around so at least a couple more get one) so you go back to birdless groups.

I want to try Rav farm groups but because I'm not comfortable with the fight yet I'm worried about the groups farming it.

Tiops

A little question regarding PLD and Sephirot EX: Can I safely switch to Sword Oath during most of the fight, just switching to Shield for Chesed and Da'at?

Yeah, pretty much. I have almost 60/80 with 73 vanu and 66 vath tokens. That means I can get 4 unidentifiable items from vanu and 3 from vath atm. Plus my 2000 allied seals and that's 2 more tokens right there. So yeah, do your beast tribes but if you never started, it will take weeks to get a good amount of tokens. Oh and DO HUNTS. I'm in a hunt LS and it really helps.

Thank you! I have Vath and Vanu Vanu at max rank and I'm almost getting rank 3 with sylphs. I'm a little behind on the other tribes, unfortunately.

A little question regarding PLD and Sephirot EX: Can I safely switch to Sword Oath during most of the fight, just switching to Shield for Chesed and Da'at?
In phase 3 you have no reason to keep sheld oath up outside of the tank busters provided you can keep aggro up so someone else doesn't eat the first Da'at.

EDIT- Typo, I meant shield oath

The tank busters on Phase 3 are just the Towers and Da'at, right?
Yeah, but only the ones after the debuffs so you can basically just roll with Sword Oath from the moment after Sephi casts his ultimate until it's time for the third set of towers and just DPS away.

scy

Just ... don't bother with tank stance at all and use cooldowns? You can Sheltron the tower hits to help mitigate those as well so you're rather hard pressed to be left in a situation where you have no cooldowns available. There's not that many big hits to be concerned over in final phase.

Squishy3

Biz bird farming is so slow and boring. It's made worse when you can't get good groups together and they end up disbanding. I've had maybe three good farm groups which ended up with two people getting birds but they all bailed after they got them(I mean I understand since the drop rate is abysmal but I wish people would be more open to sticking around so at least a couple more get one) so you go back to birdless groups.

I want to try Rav farm groups but because I'm not comfortable with the fight yet I'm worried about the groups farming it.
Ravana farm groups are awful, those ones that say "skip add phase pls." and have 1 tank/1healer/6 dps?

Yeah, they can't skip add phase, and I'm willing to guess most people never did the fight proper now, so they have no idea what to do for swift liberation.

Tiops

Just ... don't bother with tank stance at all and use cooldowns? You can Sheltron the tower hits to help mitigate those as well so you're rather hard pressed to be left in a situation where you have no cooldowns available. There's not that many big hits to be concerned over in final phase.

Well, on my last tries, when the 3rd towers appear there was only 2 or 3 party members alive, so I'm not really confident.

Sorian

Banned
Ravana farm groups are awful, those ones that say "skip add phase pls." and have 1 tank/1healer/6 dps?

Yeah, they can't skip add phase, and I'm willing to guess most people never did the fight proper now, so they have no idea what to do for swift liberation.

I refuse to join ravana groups at this point unless it's 1/1/6 and skipping adds. I don't have time for his non-sense anymore, this isn't 3.0.

iammeiam

I'm really torn on the Treasure Dungeons:

During the stream, Yoshida showed off an image (the one you pointed out) of a new dungeon-like content which is currently planned for release in Patch 3.3. It's being referred to internally as the Treasure Hunter dungeon.

Uncovering treasure maps, such as a timeworn dragonskin map, may sometimes reveal an entrance to the dungeon instead of the usual treasure chest. Once revealed, players have the option to challenge it or not, and by entering, players would need to clear out the monsters within this dungeon in order to unlock chests. The difficulty isn't set too high and they can be cleared without any practice. The image shown was just an example of the final room players can reach, which is filled with treasures. Players would need to do something to levers located in the rooms; however, the full details will be shrouded in mystery for now!

I just wish they didn't always marry new content announcements with reassurances it'll be so so easy guys don't worry. Being able to choose between a treasure map chest and a moderately challenging encounter would be neat. But noooooooo.

Squishy3

I refuse to join ravana groups at this point unless it's 1/1/6 and skipping adds. I don't have time for his non-sense anymore, this isn't 3.0.
I think the issue is now those groups that can't skip adds (seriously, I still see people get parried left and right) are adamant on still trying to do it when they can't, wasting everybody's time. With the 1/1/6 comp you can still kill the adds and kill Ravana before swift liberation goes off... provided nobody's getting parried. I see so many people get parried before Ravana enters offensive stance and during the first warlord shell before he summons the adds. I even straight up tell them to watch the cast bar, lay out what each seeing ___ means, or just follow me, but nope. That's too hard

scy

Well, on my last tries, when the 3rd towers appear there was only 2 or 3 party members alive, so I'm not really confident.

I mean ... okay? I don't think that changes the cooldown plan, though. Unless you mean not risking wiping there I guess? I may have realized late you might've meant that ;_;

I'm really torn on the Treasure Dungeons:

I just wish they didn't always marry new content announcements with reassurances it'll be so so easy guys don't worry. Being able to choose between a treasure map chest and a moderately challenging encounter would be neat. But noooooooo.

Can chocobos solo them yet?

It's at least a nice way to hopefullymaybesortof allow for maps to be more useful long-term. Then again, I think I still have Treant Sap on a retainer as a reminder of ARR maps.

Thorgal

can somebody help me understand the hunt mechanic and how it works ?

I just picked up a daily mark and a elite one ,both of which are in outer la Noscea .

Now how am i supposed to find them ? do i have to sit in that location until they spawn or someone else finds it and /shout it ?

aceface

can somebody help me understand the hunt mechanic and how it works ?

I just picked up a daily mark and a elite one ,both of which are in outer la Noscea .

Now how am i supposed to find them ? do i have to sit in that location until they spawn or someone else finds it and /shout it ?

For daily marks you can google their locations.

For elite marks (the weekly one I think you are talking about?) you have to search the zone until you find it. It spawns in random areas.

Also need to get eso so HUNTS ARE BACK!!

Omni

In phase 3 you have no reason to keep sheld oath up outside of the tank busters provided you can keep aggro up so someone else doesn't eat the first Da'at.

EDIT- Typo, I meant shield oath
As a healer, I have to mention that you absolutely need it up when the storm and adds spawn. Might seem obvious, but I've seen enough rambo tanks forget about it.

Healing through those AoEs, tank busters and AoE LB3 is the worst when you've got several adds ruining your face

As a healer, I have to mention that you absolutely need it up when the storm and adds spawn. Might seem obvious, but I've seen enough rambo tanks forget about it.

Healing through those AoEs, tank busters and AoE LB3 is the worst when you've got several adds ruining your face
Lol yeah, that's what I meant by "if you can keep aggro". That last round of mechanics is deceptively nasty, fucking surprise Yesads man.

Seph EX is a SUPER fun fight but by the time phase 3 comes into play, I do find everyone panics and gets hit by obvious shite that they should be able to see. That is mainly the reason I can't trust randoms to clear it with me. Lamia is relatively small and I was suggested by my friend to join a static, but I dunno, it never really interested me. Pretty much just been running with people in my other linkshells.

Squishy3

Lol yeah, that's what I meant by "if you can keep aggro". That last round of mechanics is deceptively nasty, fucking surprise Yesads man.
Eh, not really surprise Yesods, there's only 6 total in the third phase and they're all scripted. The one at the beginning, earthshakers + yesod, yesod before pingpong, da'at + yesod, then the two before you all pile into the storm of words.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Oh man for the record the Armageddon is strictly worse. I would never advocate to get it. My initial post was meant as something of a joke especially for how I railed against the weapons in the past. I was more impressed by how close they were since I imagined that it would have been worse by a mile. Without materia allocation I was just surprised it was as close as it was. With the more correct weights, yeah. Not even in the same ballpark.

I still haven't seen the glowy version of it yet but going by the ones I have seen my hopes are not high.

And kagari, I think eve would have to be on suicide watch if I got that tome before him.
Just say you need it for maximum DPS.

Sifl

So, I just did CT for the first time. After I completed all 3 of them the npc that's supposed to have the weekly quest doesn't. Do I have to wait till next week or something?

Eldren

CT wipes. I honestly can't remember the last time that happened.

I did CT today for the first time since... I don't even know, a few months before Heavensward dropped. It was like being back in 2014 again. Tanks arguing over where to position the bone dragon (MT chose the middle then we wiped because other DPS apparently forgot what the skeletons did), then someone stepped on their atomos pad early and half the group got locked out, and then at the end we wiped to ancient flare because not enough people were on their pads. It was like a bizarre little time warp.

ST was hilarious though, Scylla and Glasya Labolas didn't even get their mechanics off because they absolutely melted.

Squishy3

I did CT today for the first time since... I don't even know, a few months before Heavensward dropped. It was like being back in 2014 again. Tanks arguing over where to position the bone dragon (MT chose the middle then we wiped because other DPS apparently forgot what the skeletons did), then someone stepped on their atomos pad early and half the group got locked out, and then at the end we wiped to ancient flare because not enough people were on their pads. It was like a bizarre little time warp.

ST was hilarious though, Scylla and Glasya Labolas didn't even get their mechanics off because they absolutely melted.
I had a ST where a tank kept using provoke on each of the bosses everytime it was off CD.

He wasn't new.

Speaking of CT, I hope Nero shows up again in the remaining patches or the next expansion's story.

Oh I definitely feel for ya here. I mean, right this second I'm not looking to get back into raiding, but I'm definitely dreading having to look for a new group when I'm ready to jump back in. <_<;;

Finding new groups, and working out a good schedule, were always the most frustrating parts of raiding for me. :p

You are a tank. Everyone is looking for a tank right now. You shouldn't have that much of a problem honestly.

aceface

Speaking of which, If there's any Ultros BRD/MCH looking for a casual raiding group (3 days a week, for an hour and a half each time) let me know. We'll take people new to raiding so if it's something you've wanted to try out let me know! Either PM here or /tell Tomo Takino on Ultros.

iammeiam

Random thing of interest: There appears to be no drop overlap between A6S and A7S.

The assumption day 1 was that the non-pants chest just pulled a random item from the A6S loot pool. It turns out this doesn't seem to be the case, and there's more of a classic coil situation with head/hands/feet. Two of the three for each job drop in 6S, but the third drops in 7 and which item it is varies between jobs. People on Reddit have more or less worked out which drops from where--the aiming hat (aka the piece with crit on it) is in 7S, for example, while boots and gloves are in 6. Meanwhile, the NIN boots are in 7 with the gloves and head in 6.

You can buy them all with A6S pages.

Just an interesting thing people worked out given that loot tables for Midas are still not on Lodestone.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Getting error codes trying to update to the new patch in the launcher on PC. It downloads a portion of the patch and then just suddenly stops with a pop-up stating the error code "Unable to download Patch...". Gonna try PS4, and I hope it is just the server getting hammered, but this is a bit worrisome atm.

Still no seph clear for me tonight. Man, what a bother. If people would stop dying by earthshakers and getting the whole party clipped, that would be very nice. It would also be very nice if people didn't die to mechanics. I'm asking for too much, clearly.

Squishy3

Still no seph clear for me tonight. Man, what a bother. If people would stop dying by earthshakers and getting the whole party clipped, that would be very nice. It would also be very nice if people didn't die to mechanics. I'm asking for too much, clearly.
A PF group I joined awhile back actually had a different way to do earthshakers that's probably a lot safer than the method people have been doing.

Have the two people targeted by earthshakers go to the back (A stays where it normally is on the left and B goes in the back middle of the arena, spread out enough so they don't clip each other) and then the rest of the party would gather on the upper right side of the arena near Sephirot.

Here's a rough image of what it'd look like, made in 30 seconds in paint:

adsnjksanhjkdnsahjkw9nutg.png

Didn't spread out the circles enough but whatever you can probably get the gist.

Ken

4vs4 feast ruined by eso farmers. Smart move on pushing back season 1

Rip.

It would be nice if the currency amount changed based on win/loss so it's at least some incentive to actually try to win. Fortunately I don't think I've gotten genuine eso farmers yet, though with the way some people play it's hard to tell.

Critical Elk

Neo Member
Rip.

It would be nice if the currency amount changed based on win/loss so it's at least some incentive to actually try to win. Fortunately I don't think I've gotten genuine eso farmers yet, though with the way some people play it's hard to tell.

But Rassa Dragonfire.

Tiops

Got to 8% on Seph EX yesterday. I believe there's a excepcionally high color blind population in this game.

But I think we only didn't clear because the WHM was terrible and kept dying to mechanics on phase 3. It's really not difficult to handle things after you see the mechanics 3 or 4 times, it really shouldn't be this hard to find a group that can clear it. Yesterday I put 5 players on my blacklist, just because they were bad.

jiggles

Banned
I've dipped back into this over the last two days after about 6 (paid) months off after completing the ARR MSQ

Some thoughts:
- It reset my hotbars back to default due to a Windows reinstall, and it took hours to learn how to fight again.
- I forgot how content-rich this thing is. The only other "MMO like" game I've played recently is The Division, and the contrast between that and this is stark. I liked the game, but after getting back to this, it now looks criminally barebones.
- The Novice tutorials are a great addition. There's no excuse for anyone in a dungeon not doing their job properly anymore. I started them to refresh my memory, but the first few were so basic (like "avoid getting hit") that they didn't help. I don't know if it gets into more advanced stuff later.
- Hildibrand is awesome. I see more quests were added in the latest major patch so I'm glad to see that when I catch up, it's still going to be ongoing.
- Unlocking the expansion is a fucking task. When I started this character, Heavensward had just come out, so I picked it up and wanted to blitz through ARR and catch up real quick. 100 gameplay hours later, I'm only part-way into Through the Maelstrom, so I still have some way to go. I'm up to lv52, so I'm curious how close I'm going to be to 60 when I actually start the new content.

Still haven't looked at hard mode dungeons or the Raids or anything, I'm just trying to progress. But man, it feels good to be back.

Still can't understand 99% of this thread

creid

My DF A8N group last night hit enrage. It's week 6. One BLM had 5 vulnerability stacks from screwing up mechanics 5 times. how.jpg

Top Bottom