• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

aka_bueno

Alright, got to level 6 on my first play session. Bed time now.

I can def get into this, I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying it! It's taking some getting used to, especially the map ha.

The map(s) in this game don't seem very intuitive at all, never thought I'd have trouble navigating a game before but this one gave me headaches at first. I've since kinda sorta gotten the hang of it, but there's too many clicks/buttons or steps needed to figure out where I'm supposed to go half the time. I'm actually positive I'm doing something wrong, or just not used to the gamepad aspect of controlling the game effeciently yet. Is there any way to set a way point on the map? I JUST noticed the Aethernet crystals towards the end of my session as well, these help a ton in navigating now.

Other than that, so far the game seems super solid. Graphics are pretty clean, audio is fantastic! Except it did feel awkward going back to silent mime quest givers for the majority of quests. Would it kill them to at least give them generic greetings/sayings when you interact with them? :p

Anyone have any good tips for a beginner? I'm mostly doing story missions, unless I need to level up for the next one then I'll do side stuff. What about settings on PS4, any that I should look into to make the game control better or QoL stuff. Lemme know

Ken

You can set waypoints on the map but I've never had a need to. Do you want waypoints to quest objectives? If you TouchPadClick and select the quest's objective, it usually brings up a second map with the quest objective centered. Compass will also have tiny arrows pointing you in the direction of quest objectives in your zone.

As for ps4 specific tips I'd say to enable expanded hold bar so you have more places to put skills and actions.

maxresdefault.jpg

Otherwise just do what you want really. You can't ever permanently mess up your character or take a "wrong" choice so just enjoy the journey.

Tiops

Alright, got to level 6 on my first play session. Bed time now.

I can def get into this, I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying it! It's taking some getting used to, especially the map ha.

The map(s) in this game don't seem very intuitive at all, never thought I'd have trouble navigating a game before but this one gave me headaches at first. I've since kinda sorta gotten the hang of it, but there's too many clicks/buttons or steps needed to figure out where I'm supposed to go half the time. I'm actually positive I'm doing something wrong, or just not used to the gamepad aspect of controlling the game effeciently yet. Is there any way to set a way point on the map? I JUST noticed the Aethernet crystals towards the end of my session as well, these help a ton in navigating now.

Other than that, so far the game seems super solid. Graphics are pretty clean, audio is fantastic! Except it did feel awkward going back to silent mime quest givers for the majority of quests. Would it kill them to at least give them generic greetings/sayings when you interact with them? :p

Anyone have any good tips for a beginner? I'm mostly doing story missions, unless I need to level up for the next one then I'll do side stuff. What about settings on PS4, any that I should look into to make the game control better or QoL stuff. Lemme know

If you want to progress fast, focus on the Main Quest (the quests with the meteor/fireball icon) and do the daily roulettes when you enable them (level 16). For the first levels, if you need some EXP to the next main quest, you can do the hunting log. You need to do your first class quest (level 1) to unlock it, and it gives lots of experience. Or you can do sidequests, there are plenty of them to get you started.

What class did you start with?

Pachimari

Do we know when the next big expansion (like Heavensward) is releasing?

Also, when do I know when the Heavensward content is starting? I haven't completed the vanilla game content.

Tiops

Joined a Sephex farm party yesterday. No clears :) . Then I proceeded to try to overmeld my crafting gear, using almost 3 million that I got from selling Adamantite Francescas. It's fun to fail 30 melds in a row. But I'm almost reaching the 2-star threshold, can't wait to reach another Gil wall soon.

Do we know when the next big expansion (like Heavensward) is releasing?

Also, when do I know when the Heavensward content is starting? I haven't completed the vanilla game content.

It takes a while, but it's pretty obvious when you reach the expansion. After you finish the MSQ from the 2.0 content (again, pretty obvious), there's exactly 100 more main story quests to finish before the expansion.

Pachimari

Sometime next year for the expansion.

You can check where you are on the main story on this site: http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Category:Main_Scenario_Quest

Joined a Sephex farm party yesterday. No clears :) . Then I proceeded to try to overmeld my crafting gear, using almost 3 million that I got from selling Adamantite Francescas. It's fun to fail 30 melds in a row. But I'm almost reaching the 2-star threshold, can't wait to reach another Gil wall soon.

It takes a while, but it's pretty obvious when you reach the expansion. After you finish the MSQ from the 2.0 content (again, pretty obvious), there's exactly 100 more main story quests to finish before the expansion.

Thank you guys!

I'm only lvl. 2 currently, as I started a new character, so I plan to solo it up till lvl. 20, and then I'll look into what my plan will be. I do plan signing up with the GAF house again at some point and add all of you guys as friends.

IvorB

Unlock your challenge log as it's really good XP. Also lalas cannot be trusted.

So I read on here that they added a new GC rank but I went to my GC and they didn't mention it... am I going crazy?

studyguy

We took a couple stabs at Midas 1 Savage finally now that people's schedules have calmed down. Didn't realize Hammelfaust was such a spicy check. It's pretty fun overall, the number of mechanics doesn't seem nearly as bad in action from what I originally saw.

As the MT I get to be lazy as fuck, it's great. Just move around a bit while the OT does all the work.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I'm so so so sick of Sephirot EX. Like.... so fed up. People from my linkshells attempting to help me left and right but the randoms always ruin it. I set ilevel to 215 and get liars that still don't know the fight. I don't know what is so hard about this fight to comprehend, honestly. It is a very VERY basic fight and people die to earthshakers clipping, not getting a tower, etc. I think this is where I finally don't give a single fuck about clearing this fight anymore. It is just not worth it. Maybe one day where annoyances are less frequent, I can finally clear this fight. It can be tomorrow or hell it can be in 3 weeks. I just don't know anymore. What I do know is that it is an easy fight. I have it all down but one little screw up leads to quitters or worse... people that send you tells saying they are sorry for sucking. Why are you even in my party?

Hell, just bring on FFXV..... I think I'm so done with XIV in the future. I'll never look at this game as something fun again for a long time. I play it....... now just because ....I don't even know. I am a secret masochist who loves glowy weapons. I guess that's my story.
Have you tried friending the people who do play well from all of your attempts and forming a group with them?

creid

I'm so so so sick of Sephirot EX. Like.... so fed up. People from my linkshells attempting to help me left and right but the randoms always ruin it. I set ilevel to 215 and get liars that still don't know the fight. I don't know what is so hard about this fight to comprehend, honestly. It is a very VERY basic fight and people die to earthshakers clipping, not getting a tower, etc. I think this is where I finally don't give a single fuck about clearing this fight anymore. It is just not worth it. Maybe one day where annoyances are less frequent, I can finally clear this fight. It can be tomorrow or hell it can be in 3 weeks. I just don't know anymore. What I do know is that it is an easy fight. I have it all down but one little screw up leads to quitters or worse... people that send you tells saying they are sorry for sucking. Why are you even in my party?

Hell, just bring on FFXV..... I think I'm so done with XIV in the future. I'll never look at this game as something fun again for a long time. I play it....... now just because ....I don't even know. I am a secret masochist who loves glowy weapons. I guess that's my story.
This sounds a lot like my experience trying to do T13 towards the end of 2.x, and is probably a big reason why I don't bother much with "hard" content nowadays. I joined PF parties every day for a few weeks, there was always one or two people who were lying about their level of experience in the fight, or someone would come along to "help" as a tank when they had never tanked the fight before. It ruined every party and wasted so much time. Naturally as competent people would clear the fight, they would stop joining PF parties and the pool of people trying the fight would only get worse. It's a shame, because learning and beating some of the 2.x EX primals is some of the most fun I've had with the game.

Frazley

I wanted to post here just to say I realize I dropped out of the game for a while. I miss you guys so much, especially Drama. :( You guys are awesome and I hope one day to be able to come back in. Bibinasu Tatanasu misses being there!

Omni

I wish I experienced 1.0. Just out of curiosity.

I recently discovered this video, of the final cutscene that was played before they shut down the servers. Actually pretty awesome.

Redx508

I wanted to post here just to say I realize I dropped out of the game for a while. I miss you guys so much, especially Drama. :( You guys are awesome and I hope one day to be able to come back in. Bibinasu Tatanasu misses being there!

Hey there your always welcome to come back when you have more free time!
cya later

Omni

How does the Lore weapon compare to the i230 relic, for White Mage? Does it matter?

I'll be able to get both next week, I think. If the WHM relic is good enough I'll just get the BRD bow or something though.

Have you tried friending the people who do play well from all of your attempts and forming a group with them?

Yup, I have. But like I said, there isn't always all 8 people doing well. I get a few of those good people but randoms join thinking they can be carried through this without worrying about nothing. Truly ridiculous and that is why I'm getting tired of this. Maybe our server is just notoriously bad or something.

ebil

How does the Lore weapon compare to the i230 relic, for White Mage? Does it matter?

I'll be able to get both next week, I think. If the WHM relic is good enough I'll just get the BRD bow or something though.
Honestly? It hardly matters.

I'm getting the WHM Lore weapon just in case my group needs me on WHM in the near future but I might as well go for my daggers right away...

Top Bottom