• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Robin64

Slowly working my way through the main questline to get to Heavensward. It's not a bad story, but there's a lot of back and forth which was probably cool at the time but now I just want the meaty quests.

Ah well, at least it's given me the nice looking Astrum set for my Dragoon.
CfCsJP2WsAENvK7.jpg:large

I also still get really nervous about diving into group content in MMOs, I hate when people are mean. I tend to freak out and then play even worse. Like yesterday, one of my snowballs missed Yeti and one guy went on a huge sweary rant at me. Eep!

I've done mostly okay, though. Midgardsormr was especially fun, our little group had it down first time and I loved every minute of that fight. They managed to have an encounter where it felt like so much is going on, but it was never unfair to avoid things.

Mesharey

I also still get really nervous about diving into group content in MMOs, I hate when people are mean. I tend to freak out and then play even worse. Like yesterday, one of my snowballs missed Yeti and one guy went on a huge sweary rant at me. Eep!
Yeah, specially when there's someone new at least they should be kind, no one wants a hard time. :/

The story gives il110 soldiery gear now? Nice.

Need to cap and get Alex tokens and probably VA run in these 2 days.. yikes.

Probably will get the PLD Lore shield today or tomorrow since a lot of us will get their il230 Lore weapons on Tuesday.

Omni

Me too. I think the important thing to note is that while there are always gonna be a few bad apples in the community, the majority of people that you'll run into are gonna be friendly or at the very least, silent. It's not worth paying any attention to them. Spark some conversation at the start of dungeons and have a good time. Someone gets upset? That's their own problem.

The golden rule is to not be an arsehole yourself. Running into constant rude people? Take a good look at how you're acting. It's silly how oblivious some people can get with this.

There are some truly horrible people on this game so I wouldn't even be surprised if that happened. It is not your fault you are getting those comments, trust me. I behave nicely and admit my faults sometimes or call people out for doing something wrong and I get negativity back. Don't listen to people who think it is your fault you are getting negativity. I'm telling you right now there are some real shitheads on this game. Jealous, indecisive, and rude pricks. It is hard not to get irritated at someone with those negative qualities. I would suggest remaining calm during duties and definitely say it is your first time if you haven't cleared something.

Just an example but tonight in a seph ex party a guy was kicking people that have seen enrage for not having discord. He resorted to insulting them in tells and more like a supreme arsehole. It is truly frightening what some people come up with as insults on this game. Maybe I'm still a newb to mmos since this is the only one I play but I thought I would put it out there.

dcye

Void ark minion dropped tonight and I got beaten by a roll that was literally one number higher than mine. I wont ever be seeing it again.

Aren't the minions from the Towers guaranteed drops now?

EDIT: Yeah just the old ones though, forgot VA wasn't WoD for some reason. I'm tired and hungover haha.

Slowly working my way through the main questline to get to Heavensward. It's not a bad story, but there's a lot of back and forth which was probably cool at the time but now I just want the meaty quests.

I've done mostly okay, though. Midgardsormr was especially fun, our little group had it down first time and I loved every minute of that fight. They managed to have an encounter where it felt like so much is going on, but it was never unfair to avoid things.
I know how you feel, I've had a few people get on me. One guy even told the healer not to res me:/

I'm still rather new to the game (finished main quest and experiencing the glory of Hildibrand), but I must say I really appreciate when other players take time to make things a little more fun. I guess hide-and-seek is a common game, but I actually found the hider and they gave me a minion.

It doesn't look rare (Wind-up Dullahan), but I really like it and it's way better than anything I had. I think I chose a good server, Sargatanas is full of friendly people. Anyway, thanks to that guy!

Robin64

They weren't kidding when they gave me the cutscene length warning at the end of 2.55 questing. Great stuff though!

Valor

I still get anxious before queuing for dungeons I've done dozens of times as classes like Healer or Tank, because I'm afraid people are gonna be mean/rude if i mess anything up. Doing stuff for the very first time is also still super nervewracking for me, but I guess part of me is beginning to enjoy that small adrenaline rush?

I think the boss fights are really enjoyable in the dungeons post level 50, since there are a lot more encounters similar to Midgardsormr, so hopefully you like them also! It's kind of fun to dance around a little bit of chaos once in a while.
I'm still rather new to the game (finished main quest and experiencing the glory of Hildibrand), but I must say I really appreciate when other players take time to make things a little more fun. I guess hide-and-seek is a common game, but I actually found the hider and they gave me a minion.

It doesn't look rare (Wind-up Dullahan), but I really like it and it's way better than anything I had. I think I chose a good server, Sargatanas is full of friendly people. Anyway, thanks to that guy!
I'm glad that there are people who help make the game more enjoyable for the newer players like that. I think the community in general can be pretty nice, even if certain aspects can be toxic. I've heard nice things about Sarg, and it's nice to see that you're enjoying yourself.

Anyone got good tips for switching from controller to keyboard? My controller has been acting up for weeks now and last night I switched to keyboard but it feels weird

My crafters are all now at 50/52. I dunno what to do now. The gear up process whenever you hit cap milestones is always complicated for me. Should I just craft shit for myself instead of talking to Talan?

Anyone got good tips for switching from controller to keyboard? My controller has been acting up for weeks now and last night I switched to keyboard but it feels weird

I ended up going back to controller after trying this myself.

It feels too cumbersome for me since I'm so used to using controller.

There's a ton of muscle memory has to be built up as well which turned me off from doing it.

The only tip I can give if you still want to use a keyboard is to rebind your abilities to instead of using 1234567890-= you can use 12345qerfzxc. Basically anything past 4 or 5 rebind to keys closer to WASD since moving your whole hand to reach 67890-= is too much of a pain imo.

Robin64

Just entered Ishgard for the first time and had a good proper explore. I love this city already! It feels great and it looks superb.

Not a fan of the new Quest Accepted/Completed jingles though. Maybe they'll grow on me.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp

I say it's my first time when starting the instance and people are more tolerant towards any mistake.

Tanking is also easier in term of mechanics, unless it's a tank buster you don't have to worry much.

Pachimari

The only tip I can give if you still want to use a keyboard is to rebind your abilities to instead of using 1234567890-= you can use 12345qerfzxc. Basically anything past 4 or 5 rebind to keys closer to WASD since moving your whole hand to reach 67890-= is too much of a pain imo.
I agree with this. So far I have set Q to sprint and E to potion.

It's random, some people are twats in any MMO. I feel ya though, I hate messing up and worry that random people will lose their shit.

Mario007

This might be a stupid question, but I've played FF XIV before but currently I don't have an active sub. If I buy heavensward, will I get a time card to play?

Thorgal

crap , met an awesome premade 7 man group running CT and we laugh and have lots of fun . sadly , they where all on Lich server while i am on Cerberus :(

would have made a linkshell with those guys instantly .

GIVE US CROSS SERVER ALREADY YOSHI !!!

Jeels

Man, the idle imperials five star card is the last npc exclusive triple triad card I need. A combination of random, other rules, and it being at certain times only is absolutely killing me. I'm at over 15 hildas and no five star card. :(

I can't believe I pissed away my weekend for this..

dcye

Man, the idle imperials five star card is the last npc exclusive triple triad card I need. A combination of random, other rules, and it being at certain times only is absolutely killing me. I'm at over 15 hildas and no five star card. :(

That one took me a while. Only card I need is Sephirot, :(

GAMERG0D

I've spent at least 2 hours combined (since he's available at certain times I'm guessing here) fighting Swift for Raubahn but it's getting really annoying. I must have fought him almost 200 times with no drop.

dramatis

I haven't applied yet, as I am upgrading my character to lvl 10 to open up free companies.

When I apply, it will be as Phanda Zeek.
You don't need to open up free companies, you can join one at any level.

Even if there's any level requirement related to Free Companies, it wouldn't be level 10, it would be level 35, the level you need to be to make an FC, not apply to one.

Robin64

Made it some floating land. Wow! I knew there was going to be sky content going in, but I had no idea it would be a proper huge floating continent of sorts. And it's gorgeous to boot!

iammeiam

Something something laugh through the wipes?

I'm still not sure what they could/should nerf in 6 without running counter to the idea of the fight. Mirage Dash was specifically designed to invalidate every single prior method of making divebombs easy. No stacking to bait, no premarking dive spots, four (?) iterations in they finally found divebombs you have to pay attention to every time (which is probably specifically why the OT can get marked or targeted.) A couple people failing the mechanic doesn't tank the run either so it doesn't really require perfection.

They could make Betas explode for less I guess? Remove the damage up stack from Swindler or make the one shots not one shots, but that seems more core fight design than a tuning fix. Most of the non-obviously-one-shot mechanics can already be survived, and the margins are just gonna get bigger as people gear up.

I dunno; 6S is a constant string of us wiping to our own dumbness but I'm not sure what they do to the fight to make us less bad. Maybe they'll finally let us switch sides and join team Brute Justice.

Valor

Something something laugh through the wipes?

I'm still not sure what they could/should nerf in 6 without running counter to the idea of the fight. Mirage Dash was specifically designed to invalidate every single prior method of making divebombs easy. No stacking to bait, no premarking dive spots, four (?) iterations in they finally found divebombs you have to pay attention to every time (which is probably specifically why the OT can get marked or targeted.) A couple people failing the mechanic doesn't tank the run either so it doesn't really require perfection.

They could make Betas explode for less I guess? Remove the damage up stack from Swindler or make the one shots not one shots, but that seems more core fight design than a tuning fix. Most of the non-obviously-one-shot mechanics can already be survived, and the margins are just gonna get bigger as people gear up.

I dunno; 6S is a constant string of us wiping to our own dumbness but I'm not sure what they do to the fight to make us less bad. Maybe they'll finally let us switch sides and join team Brute Justice.
Easy damage down a6s fixes you can make would be things like reducing bomb damage scaling that OT pops, reducing damage from betas slightly, slowing snipers down by a stack, and lessening the damage done in vortexer across the board.

Do they need to make these changes? I don't think so. 230 weapons fix a whole lot of these "issues" and like you said they don't make people git gud, which is gonna be a punch in the mouth when A8s rolls around for said people. I can see it being similar to most people playing A8n for the first time after ignoring or not caring about learning a6n mechanics. Gonna have a bad time.

6S is similar for us. We just die to dumb shit almost every run. Melee getting Heigh Errors or people dying to dashes, or bombs, or sniped or not having enough hp when elements pass. Silly things.

Thorgal

i am in a bit of a conundrum .

Iwant to change to a male miqote from my female starter , but i am not sure i should also pay for the name change .

What to do ?

Tiops

If I could draw, I would make the following comic strip:

A crafter/gatherer goes to the doctor to get the results from his last checkup
The doctor says: "Unfortunately we've found something wrong in your blood tests. But don't worry, you have 90% of chance of surviving this."
The crafter/gatherer and his family proceeds to cry, as all hope is lost.

Fuck this game.

Top Bottom