• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Valor

Any bard sandpies know if they're going for the Relic or Lore weapon?

If you don't have Gandiva as of right now, you aren't likely going to have the 230 anytime soon. Get the charity weapon and keep working on Gandiva BiS. That's my opinion.

Omni

I'm gonna use my WHM relic. Should get it to i230 once I run through CT this week.

No idea whether or not to get the Bard or DRK lore weapon though. Don't want to start struggling to hold hate on the latter because everyone has i230 weapons. But on the otherside, Bard is my only DPS. Hmmm

PowerTaxi

Banned
Accidentally confused the other DPS during an Antitower run. They nearly killed me with 1 auto attack, it was something like an 12k crit O_O.

Isaccard

Holding thread on PLD is fine, but it's slow and boring because you just Flash and the Circle of Scorn and basically keep Flashing if needed while hitting Circle of Scorn when it's up.

On Warrior for example I'll throw an Overpower to hit all enemies, pop bloodbath/Infuriate if needed and Steel Cyclone. The damage + leech gives you a bunch of exra enmity. At least with Warrior like I can do damage and pull mobs in different ways to spice things up. Stacks also make switching stances kind of fun since I have have my five stacks and go Deliverance to drop Decimate instead of Steel Cyclone for a bit extra damage and stuff.

Once you have access to Equilibrium TP issues go away for the most part.

DRK is also more enjoyable in aoe pulls because you can Unleash spam if you mp situation is shite, or you can Abyssal Drain for extra damage. Dark Arts lets you leech back a nice bit of health, Salted Earth gives you extra enmity and damage, and you can always Dark Arts Dark Passenger for a bunch of bonus damage on a trash pull.

Like it boils down to look at all of these options I have at my disposal on Warrior and Dark Knight.

On Paladin I use Flash and Circle of Scorn. That's it. It's just boring.

Circle of scorn is so fucking fun though, it's one of my favorite moves in the game.

On WAR I feel like if I have to spend wrath on steel cyclone in doing something wrong? Is my thinking wrong here? I try to emulate players who're better than me and I don't see many war's using SC very often, if ever. Maybe every war I know is "bad" by comparison

Teach me nuada sandcat

iammeiam

Decisions, decisions.

It's mostly a function of time. Assume at your groups' fourth A7S kill you're going to want the lore weapon for that extra WD. If you think you'll have Hyperconductive Gandiva really soon (like this week), that's at least three weeks of a better weapon + earlier Lore buys in other slots. The latter is important because even if you don't have a weapon for raid day, you can still upgrade some Lore slots and provide your group with increased damage until you finish the grind, and when you finish the grind you'll be more useful than just dumping lore into the weapon.

If you wouldn't get i230 relic until right around when you got gobdip it's a whole other thing, ditto if the thought of yet more tome grinding in this game makes you want to uninstall, but that doesn't sound like the case.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
A party member has withdrawn from the duty.A party member has withdrawn from the duty.A party member has withdrawn from the duty.A party member has withdrawn from the duty.A party member has withdrawn from the duty.A party member has withdrawn from the duty.A party member has withdrawn from the duty.A party member has withdrawn from the duty.A party member has withdrawn from the duty.A party member has withdrawn from the duty.

On another note....what materia should I meld for AST?

A party member has withdrawn from the duty.A party member has withdrawn from the duty.A party member has withdrawn from the duty.A party member has withdrawn from the duty.A party member has withdrawn from the duty.A party member has withdrawn from the duty.A party member has withdrawn from the duty.A party member has withdrawn from the duty.A party member has withdrawn from the duty.A party member has withdrawn from the duty.

On another note....what materia should I meld for AST?

Accuracy. So you can gravity all day, ery day and not feel the pain of a 1700mp miss

iammeiam

Solitude's A8S guide is up.

It's not the first guide out, but it did remind me of the "that doesn't look so bad" reaction when the video first hit. The robot phase between Onslaughter and Brute Justice is illustrated in a mere 17 diagrams.

I am fascinated by what they could do for 12 at this point because 8 seems to have hit some sort of limit in terms of mechanics you can fit in a 13 minute fight.

Valor

Circle of scorn is so fucking fun though, it's one of my favorite moves in the game.

On WAR I feel like if I have to spend wrath on steel cyclone in doing something wrong? Is my thinking wrong here? I try to emulate players who're better than me and I don't see many war's using SC very often, if ever. Maybe every war I know is "bad" by comparison

Teach me nuada sandcat
circle of scorn is great don't get me wrong but that's where air threat and damage ends. That's my main grievance.

Warrior before I think you could make a case for holding your wrath stacks in defiance for boosts it gave you like crit and stuff. Now I don't see a reason to hold onto them, so I guess spend them. You can accrue wrath/abandon in so many ways now that you should never be too far behind in stacks. I make liberal use of infuriate as well but I also flunked out of the Punchi School of Warriors, so maybe I'm wrong, I haven't had too much issue thus far though. Beautiful ignorance of the ps4

It's not the first guide out, but it did remind me of the "that doesn't look so bad" reaction when the video first hit. The robot phase between Onslaughter and Brute Justice is illustrated in a mere 17 diagrams.

I am fascinated by what they could do for 12 at this point because 8 seems to have hit some sort of limit in terms of mechanics you can fit in a 13 minute fight.
I'm sure they can find more.

aceface

Well they dialed back the mechanics a bit from T9 to T13. Maybe having the most mechanics in the second tier is a thing for them.

Thorgal

Look at that sexy animal .

aVAzhS5.jpg

oh BTW i did change my name too .

Having Rydia as a name just did not feel right .

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!

A12 is going to be a series of holograms that make you fight through sections of the most mechanically intensive fights from coil with A6S robots at the same time.

Squishy3

I think the neat thing about A8S is yeah, there's a shitton of mechanics but some are repeated from either earlier in the tier (A6S robutts doing stuff) or the cells from Qarn (with Nisi A and Nisi B versions when Brute Justice goes into the final form) and the fact you only see one rotation of the new mechanics before Brute Justice just starts spinning you to death.

You can also see this philosophy active in Sephirot EX, although not to this degree, where for the first phase, the tank will eventually run out of CDs for the tankbuster if DPS is too slow or they keep dying, and then only getting two rotations of the mechanics before enrage in the third phase.

Jeels

I've spent at least 2 hours combined (since he's available at certain times I'm guessing here) fighting Swift for Raubahn but it's getting really annoying. I must have fought him almost 200 times with no drop.

Ya, Raubahn also took me a few hours. Keep at it brother.

iammeiam

You can also see this philosophy active in Sephirot EX, although not to this degree, where for the first phase, the tank will eventually run out of CDs for the tankbuster if DPS is too slow or they keep dying, and then only getting two rotations of the mechanics before enrage in the third phase.

I'd honestly point at Seph and A8S as two wildly different design philosophies. Seph is phases that contain bite-sized repeating rotations, heavily scripted to the second, with sequential seperate mechanics pulling from a relatively limited pool that rarely interact in any meaningful way. He has few mechanics, most of them appear in an extremely orderly fashion, and learning a minute of the first phase and like two minutes of the final phase is all it takes to more or less know the whole fight.

8 seems a lot closer to 6 in that aside from 3 and 5 (of seven distinct phases!) there's not much in the way of "learn this chunk and then it repeats". Phase 2 has a bunch of rotations that shift based on group DPS instead of a straight timer. It's probably closer to a more chaotic, much more challenging Thordan in that it keeps remixing things you recognize in different ways in this elaborate dance until it ends in a burn phase. The key thing about 8 seems to be that many of the mechanics feel familiar, but how you handle them has to be carefully tailored to the fight and the phase in the fight.

With 6 going over how it's going over, I'm kind of dying to see what mass consensus on 8 is since it does a lot of what people don't like about 6, but over a much longer fight.

A12's boss is just going to be Brute Justice but he has 99 phases and takes 12 hours.

You can call it Absolute Justice.

GoBahamut or no sale.

Squishy3

A12's boss is just going to be Brute Justice but he has 99 phases and takes 12 hours.

You can call it Absolute Justice.
Final Fantasy XI boss causes vomiting, takes 18 hours to beat

Return of the king.

I'd honestly point at Seph and A8S as two wildly different design philosophies. Seph is phases that contain bite-sized repeating rotations, heavily scripted to the second, with sequential seperate mechanics pulling from a relatively limited pool that rarely interact in any meaningful way. He has few mechanics, most of them appear in an extremely orderly fashion, and learning a minute of the first phase and like two minutes of the final phase is all it takes to more or less know the whole fight.

8 seems a lot closer to 6 in that aside from 3 and 5 (of seven distinct phases!) there's not much in the way of "learn this chunk and then it repeats". Phase 2 has a bunch of rotations that shift based on group DPS instead of a straight timer. It's probably closer to a more chaotic, much more challenging Thordan in that it keeps remixing things you recognize in different ways in this elaborate dance until it ends in a burn phase. The key thing about 8 seems to be that many of the mechanics feel familiar, but how you handle them has to be carefully tailored to the fight and the phase in the fight.

With 6 going over how it's going over, I'm kind of dying to see what mass consensus on 8 is since it does a lot of what people don't like about 6, but over a much longer fight.
I just mean in the sense how the mechanics come hard and fast but you only need to deal with them for the one cycle when you finally make it to the final form before it just decides to start murdering you.

People will get so much practice in the first part of the fight, that they'll start being able to clear that stuff in their sleep like the competent Seph EX groups (plus repeated upgrades each subsequent week in the form of lore upgrade items/pages making it easier and easier since you'll push the robutt intermissions faster and they will be shorter and shorter) and then slowly getting experience in the final phase.

I'm quite proud of the name I came up for my Roe alt character, though I have never used him

Roegadaxio, the 7ft green freak that thinks he's a sylph.

Valor

Yes. There is just 5 times the objectives for about 3 times the reward. They aren't totally worth it though unless your level rich as they cost 10 times the allowance.
Like this guy says, I think conventional wisdom has been that large leves just aren't worth it whatsoever. Then again that was in 3.0 but I do not think it has changed since then.

Did you find a group? Why wouldn't you go to the land of cat girl maids!? We could live like kings!

Yea, there's a group there close to clearing Vortexer (>10% wipes, enrage) that needs a WHM, runs on days that work for me (Tue/Thur/Sun with Monday as push day if close to clearing) and times are fine. All the other groups were near clearing A7S or were on A8S and were just like "we'll take you through A7S" like it was no big deal. I personally don't like the idea of being carried through progression content like that for the sake of getting to the next turn. By carry, I mean I don't know jack about doing the fight yet (I watched one stream of part of the fight, that's all) and still clear. I just didn't feel comfortable about that.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
God, sometimes I fuck up the mudras and do the wrong combination. Sucks so much!!!

I was doing the Snowcloak last boss, and I casted Doton instead of Huton, if that isn't the biggest "I fucked up the mudras" sign while fighting a boss then I don't know what is.

BadRNG

I was doing the Snowcloak last boss, and I casted Doton instead of Huton, if that isn't the biggest "I fucked up the mudras" sign while fighting a boss then I don't know what is.
Bunny ears, in fact it's a literal "I fucked up" sign, they may as well have the rabbit medium debuff say "This dude just fucked up". At least doton is damage! Mudras are the unique mechanic that can be both fun and at times incredibly frustrating. Especially if you are lagging. Oh god how awful they are when you are lagging...

I wonder how long until they introduce a fourth mudra. Even more ways to pick the wrong tool for the job.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Bunny ears, in fact it's a literal "I fucked up" sign, they may as well have the rabbit medium debuff say "This dude just fucked up". At least doton is damage! Mudras are the unique mechanic that can be both fun and at times incredibly frustrating. Especially if you are lagging. Oh god how awful they are when you are lagging...

I wonder how long until they introduce a fourth mudra. Even more ways to pick the wrong tool for the job.

Yeah but it's not as noticeable during boss fights where there's lot of shit going on, specially if you zoom out the camera a lot during boss fights. If I'm a tank and a NIN screwed up a mudra with the bunny, I wouldn't notice.

Isaccard

The 7th week of the patch, meaning the first day you can get your eikonic weapon without doing Midas Savage

Everyone calls it poverty/welfare weapons because they're I level x weapons you can acquire without raiding

It's as if it somehow invalidates the effort and Poop socks that went into getting raid weapons

Tiops

So, gathering in Diadem appears to be quite lucrative. Did an hour of gathering with my FC yesterday and, if the shit I put on the market board actually sells, I should be getting around 1.5 million just from the botanist mats I got. Is this actually a decent way to get money or does it take a while to sell those items? (Cloud Cotton Boll and Royal Mistletoe)

Top Bottom