• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

aceface

If I could draw, I would make the following comic strip:

A crafter/gatherer goes to the doctor to get the results from his last checkup
The doctor says: "Unfortunately we've found something wrong in your blood tests. But don't worry, you have 90% of chance of surviving this."
The crafter/gatherer and his family proceeds to cry, as all hope is lost.

Fuck this game.

RNG gonna RNG

iammeiam

i am in a bit of a conundrum .

Iwant to change to a male miqote from my female starter , but i am not sure i should also pay for the name change .

What to do ?

Fantasia and then decide if the name is bugging you? There's no discount for doing both at once. If you're just going to be a cat anyway you've already lost tho.

At least one of us already has.

Robot HP would get us out of having to mechanics. He has a point.

Also pls change your character's name to that for consistency.

If I could draw, I would make the following comic strip:

A crafter/gatherer goes to the doctor to get the results from his last checkup
The doctor says: "Unfortunately we've found something wrong in your blood tests. But don't worry, you have 90% of chance of surviving this."
The crafter/gatherer and his family proceeds to cry, as all hope is lost.

Fuck this game.
We are the 29%

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Also pls change your character's name to that for consistency.
If someone gifts me a name change sure!

Iwant to change to a male miqote from my female starter , but i am not sure i should also pay for the name change .

What to do ?
Just Fantasia and see if it bugs you. Can't be worse that roegadyn running around with lalafell names. If it does but you, try a generic name that can be used for any race.

suzu

What to do ?

Roll with it until it bugs you. Or go with a unisex name if you end up changing it.

Tiops

Yup, sounds like crafting.

Yep, but I have fun with it. My only issue at the moment is the gil wall I'm currently at, so I changed a little bit to gathering to try to make some money. But I had to make some "light melds" to my gathering gear to be able to get red scrips and get some money from aetherial reduction, resulting in less 1 million gil in my bank. At least I'm getting a crapload of clusters now.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
What did you do.
Depends, are you talking about the robots or the name? If it's the latter, I made a bad assumption and became a JRPG character by accident.

If it's the former, ask Robookey.

Pachimari

You don't need to open up free companies, you can join one at any level.

Even if there's any level requirement related to Free Companies, it wouldn't be level 10, it would be level 35, the level you need to be to make an FC, not apply to one.

How do I do that if the free company section is greyed out? Oh, maybe I just need to find a gaffer.

How do I do that if the free company section is greyed out? Oh, maybe I just need to find a gaffer.
It's greyed out because you're not a member, that's the member menu. You need to find a gaffer to request access via right click/square button menu or send a /tell to an officer to request an invite.

katagai

Logged in to find this surprise in my mailbox. I haven't seen anyone wearing it yet, so had no idea people had it already.

xLO4X91.jpg

On Tuesday there will be the biggest nerf to A6s regardless of patches. Don't worry.

You and angary keep saying this, but seeing maybe 15 seconds less of mechanics one shotting the group isn't that big of a nerf. Even then, if you are already not seeing second mirage set or third chakra, it's even less of a boon.

Something something, more vortexer time, i get it.

All I ask is for the OT not to be targeted by mirage goddammit.

In my continuing quest to find a new static, I made an alt on Typhon to transfer eventually to Tonberry. The amount of cat girls in 7-11 maid outfits was staggering.

iammeiam

You and angary keep saying this, but seeing maybe 15 seconds less of mechanics one shotting the group isn't that big of a nerf. Even then, if you are already not seeing second mirage set or third chakra, it's even less of a boon.

Something something, more vortexer time, i get it.

All I ask is for the OT not to be targeted by mirage goddammit.

The point is more you'll continue to skip those things, even with more errors, with higher base damage. Brawler adds and Midan gunners go down sooner, weakness is less of a hindrance in making the mini checks, you can play Vortexer ridiculously conservative and have all the time in the world. I'd guess skipping the last BioArith on Swindler will start being a thing. Much like Thordan weapons made A3S and A4S significantly more open to clears with major mistakes, i230 weapons here will be huge. And much like those fights, you'll still have to mostly do the mechanics to succeed.

Short of essentially post-echo levels nerfing it, there's just not much in 6 that can be nerfed in a way that gear won't eventually do, and given that we get relatively little content with teeth I'd rather let gear gradually do its thing than straight defang the fight. Especially since 8 just seems to be 6 with more robots pointing and laughing. None of the timings are ridiculously strict, nothing seems particularly bad with lag. The OT getting a mirage seems pretty intentional, in that Mirages are Divebombs: No, You're Actually Doing The Mechanic This Time Edition.

Gonna die laughing if the only Savage change is patching out A8S sac strat. They won't, but it'd be hilarious.

Do we all secretly want to be 7-11 maids?

How do you keep finding new ways to disappoint me

The point is more you'll continue to skip those things, even with more errors, with higher base damage. Brawler adds and Midan gunners go down sooner, weakness is less of a hindrance in making the mini checks, you can play Vortexer ridiculously conservative and have all the time in the world. I'd guess skipping the last BioArith on Swindler will start being a thing. Much like Thordan weapons made A3S and A4S significantly more open to clears with major mistakes, i230 weapons here will be huge. And much like those fights, you'll sill have to mostly do the mechanics to succeed.

Short of essentially post-echo levels nerfing it, there's just not much in 6 that can be nerfed in a way that gear won't eventually do, and given that we get relatively little content with teeth I'd rather let gear gradually do its thing than straight defang the fight. Especially since 8 just seems to be 6 with more robots pointing and laughing. None of the timings are ridiculously strict, nothing seems particularly bad with lag. The OT getting a mirage seems pretty intentional, in that Mirages are Divebombs: No, You're Actually Doing The Mechanic This Time Edition.

Gonna die laughing if the only Savage change is patching out A8S sac strat. They won't, but it'd be hilarious.

How do you keep finding new ways to disappoint me

I reject your reality, and substitute my OT mineswepper stress free reality. But seriously, there is ANOTHER final turn sac strat. Wow

On the topic of 230 weapons: all things being equal, what kind of flat dps gain is that for melee/ranged/tanks?

Is there a general rule of thumb since 3.0 for that?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
low-level tanking is really shitty in this game, so hard to maintain aggro. Playing Marauder and I'm really struggling, more so than with Gladiator. With Paladin it's like eyes closed easy.

low-level tanking is really shitty in this game, so hard to maintain aggro. Playing Marauder and I'm really struggling, more so than with Gladiator. With Paladin it's like eyes closed easy.

It's actually easier with Marauder, just hit Overpower, problem solved.

Valor

I mean yeah. Marauder/Warrior holds hate a million times easier than Paladin can. Hit Overpower. You did it. You did the aggro. Use with Berserk for maximum EZ mode.

Paladin also has the most boring aoe threat generation of the three tanks and is just so so terrible for pulling large groups versus any of the other two tanks. It's disappointing. Their single target game is one of the best, but man. Man. AoE pulls are fucking brutal on Paladin still.

Isaccard

I mean yeah. Marauder/Warrior holds hate a million times easier than Paladin can. Hit Overpower. You did it. You did the aggro. Use with Berserk for maximum EZ mode.

Paladin also has the most boring aoe threat generation of the three tanks and is just so so terrible for pulling large groups versus any of the other two tanks. It's disappointing. Their single target game is one of the best, but man. Man. AoE pulls are fucking brutal on Paladin still.

Maybe its because im pleb trash and my opinions and anecdotes mean nothing in the face of the 1%
shout outs to the illuminati linkshell
but for me it's the complete opposite, could be because I'm doing something wrong (probably) but I always have a much easier time pulling aoe threat with PLD than I do as WAR to the degree that I'll avoid tanking dungeons on WAR because for a lack of better words/phrasing is 'too hard' and results in TP starvation

git gud, etc etc

Squishy3

Maybe its because im pleb trash and my opinions and anecdotes mean nothing in the face of the 1%
but for me it's the complete opposite, could be because I'm doing something wrong (probably) but I always have a much easier time pulling aoe threat with PLD than I do as WAR to the degree that I'll avoid tanking dungeons on WAR because for a lack of better words/phrasing is 'too hard' and results in TP starvation

git gud, etc etc
For WAR you have more options for AOE threat generation than just Overpower, though, I can manage threat fairly well with using Tomahawk/overpower to pick up the mobs, then throwing out a Steel Cyclone when they're all gathered together, then if stuff does start to peel off I just overpower more. If your Warrior's 60 everyone else might just be better geared than you making it more difficult to keep enmity. Mine was sitting at about full 210 when I got mine to 60, so that might be why my experience isn't like yours.

I mean either way if you end up tp starved chances are you've at least got a sustainable lead on it and nothing should be falling off, so you can just sit there and do nothing but auto-attack.

Meanwhile DRK's just like "let me get the mobs activate blood price and then spam unleash until it wears off, curse out the healer if they start spamming Holy"

Squishy3

I logged onto my group's discord to hear them doing Bismarck EX for birds and the first things I hear is "provoke missed. how the fuck does provoke miss?"

Valor

git gud, etc etc
Holding thread on PLD is fine, but it's slow and boring because you just Flash and the Circle of Scorn and basically keep Flashing if needed while hitting Circle of Scorn when it's up.

On Warrior for example I'll throw an Overpower to hit all enemies, pop bloodbath/Infuriate if needed and Steel Cyclone. The damage + leech gives you a bunch of exra enmity. At least with Warrior like I can do damage and pull mobs in different ways to spice things up. Stacks also make switching stances kind of fun since I have have my five stacks and go Deliverance to drop Decimate instead of Steel Cyclone for a bit extra damage and stuff.

Once you have access to Equilibrium TP issues go away for the most part.

Meanwhile DRK's just like "let me get the mobs activate blood price and then spam unleash until it wears off, curse out the healer if they start spamming Holy"
DRK is also more enjoyable in aoe pulls because you can Unleash spam if you mp situation is shite, or you can Abyssal Drain for extra damage. Dark Arts lets you leech back a nice bit of health, Salted Earth gives you extra enmity and damage, and you can always Dark Arts Dark Passenger for a bunch of bonus damage on a trash pull.

Like it boils down to look at all of these options I have at my disposal on Warrior and Dark Knight.

On Paladin I use Flash and Circle of Scorn. That's it. It's just boring.

As boring as pld is for dungons, I am rediscovering how amazing it is for raiding after dropping it for gordias.

You barely have to think about it or look at a half dozen ogcd timers, so I have more situational awareness on moves an timings.

What im trying to say is, i aint the one fucking up height.

Stress free is the way to be.

Error

You guys were right, just needed to use Overpower more often. Guess I got too used to PLD and its 3 skills combo to generate aggro for most mobs, while occasionally popping Circle of Scorn and Flash.

I did my CT stuff last min and the q times were pretty great... almost instant. Then I rolled a 95 on the shaft in a8. It was a good night. One of my friends I met is gonna help me clear Seph ex this week so with a group it should be less frustrating. As for relic progress... I'm 64/80 with 90+ Vanu Tokens and 80+ Vath tokens. Assuming I can get 5 shells and ore each by next week, I should have my relic very soon. One aether oil down as well.

ThinFinn

Any bard sandpies know if they're going for the Relic or Lore weapon?

I'm leaning towards Relic but that means I'll have to farm on Esos and won't have a i230 weapon ready going into next raid night.

We really wana down the robot rangers already and having i230 weapons, as some mentioned before, would help alleviate any blunders made during runs, making a clear that much more achievable.

Besides, it's also possible to upgrade the Lore weapon and while the same can be said about the Relic, I think it's save to assume it would be quicker to obtain 4 X A7S pages than grinding on a new Relic in future patches.

But then again the Lore weapon has SS/Det as it's secondary stats...

Decisions, decisions.

Error

Not gonna lie, I'm leveling WAR because I like how the gear looks. I'm superficial like that.

Ken

I'm leaning towards Relic but that means I'll have to farm on Esos and won't have a i230 weapon ready going into next raid night.

We really wana down the robot rangers already and having i230 weapons, as some mentioned before, would help alleviate any blunders made during runs, making a clear that much more achievable.

Besides, it's also possible to upgrade the Lore weapon and while the same can be said about the Relic, I think it's save to assume it would be quicker to obtain 4 X A7S pages than grinding on a new Relic in future patches.

Decisions, decisions.

there's no more bards left

you're the last one

dcye

Decisions, decisions.

I'm going Relic. I won't have weapon for first raid this week but I'm pretty sure the jump up in numbers from the other 7 will be enough for A6S. I'll save for the weapon as well, for the 240 bump, but for now the others pieces are worth more to me. Feel good about it tbh.

Top Bottom