• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Hmm. Did he mess up a debuff pass? The worst offender I think ended up being Felix not counting down water once. I think we died mostly to misplaced ice and my beautiful fire pillar directly at the ice block smh.

I kept glancing up and he was dead during Vortexer attempts and then things would explode! So I just assumed :>

Valor

IIRC, the nerf helped you guys on your clear in that Felix stacked for pass, ate the damage, got the debuff, ate a tether during ice placement, and dipped below 1.5k hp while carrying Compressed Water on the first ice drop. Pre Crashing Water nerf, that'd have been a wipe, due to the same bad ice drop positioning that dogged you guys through most of the runs. Post-damage-nerf, it was a pass. You didn't need the nerfs to clear, but they removed some of the cleanup/learning I guess is how I'd put it?

I dunno, I guess we just agree to disagree? Completely wrecking 1/4 robots, removing the biggest difficulty component of the second, and nerfing both the damage output to allow for failing mechanics and HP of the 4th seems pretty major to me. I'd draw a comparison to say week 4 or 5 A1S vs i210 A1S. It's the same fight, but it's not?

Oh yeah for sure. I forgot that happened on the clear run. Watching the video back Felix hit like 1300 hp at his lowest which is probably in kill shot range of pre damage nerfs, I think. So I dunno it's nice that it allows for one mistake like that, but just barely. It still requires you to know the fight since no damage nerfs will save you from some ruggedly handsome machinist chucking a fireball at the ice pillar.

Definitely are agreeing to disagree on this one and that's fine. I do agree with a lot of your points, but I feel the severity of the changes is less than you do. I guess it's still a matter, to me, that you do need to know the fight and execute it well to ensure a clear, but there's some sort of breathing room to allow for mistakes. Like on our run we had a single mistake from Felix but the rest was executed rather well from what I could see. Like a lot of our wipes were to dumb things that aren't related to the nerfs, as Rae chan did warn us about beforehand lol.

I dunno if the giant orbs are the biggest difficulty of Brawler. In my mind the difficultly of Brawler comes down to minimizing the amount of chakrams and executing double drill correctly. It's also the coordination of the adds and stuff and you still need to use CC measures and a wider variety of your skills to get through it. If both of those big orbs hit during tank busters you're still going to have a bad time regardless of the damage nerf. You still need to respect that mechanic, I think. Less than before, I guess you can argue, but I do think it could still beat you up if you handle it poorly.

I kept glancing up and he was dead during Vortexer attempts and then things would explode! So I just assumed :>

He was sleepy after his hard day of classes and just wanted to remember what the floor tasted like while he napped. It's pretty normal~

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I see what you did there.

zflv2dn.jpg

Sorian

Banned
Tea Pan #3 on Aether ranking after one day. Rum Raisin #2 on Primal. 60+ matches seems to be the norm for the ranked players.

I was in PVP with Rum this morning, won every time he was on the other side and lost every time he was on my side. Coincidence?

scy

Like on our run we had a single mistake from Felix but the rest was executed rather well from what I could see. Like a lot of our wipes were to dumb things that aren't related to the nerfs, as Rae chan did warn us about beforehand lol.

I feel like "barring what should have been a wipe" is kind of the point of the nerfs. I dunno, I know you guys would have had it this week regardless of the nerfs, I just found the clear being on a pull that was a pre-nerf wipe (or, if that spot was done right, an enrage wipe still) kind of a funny timing moment with the post.

I'm mostly waiting to see the new and improved optimized strats for it since you really only ever need 6 bodies (7 max for Swindler Height) for most the encounter now. Or if people just stick with the old ones instead and overkill most the mechanics.

You still need to respect that mechanic, I think. Less than before, I guess you can argue, but I do think it could still beat you up if you handle it poorly.

They by default land one GCD before the tankbuster so you've got a lot of flexibility on how much you need to do. That said, I think it's not that hard of a mechanic to do so optional cheesing it ways all seem like silly ways to gain partial GCDs on a timed section.

One 6 second pld stun on second beta means it lands perfectly between drills/cannons. I don't think I've ever had trouble with a tankbuster after first beta hit. No magic vuln equals no prob.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Welp, got my Hyperconductive Ukonsavara last night.

Time to find another long term project I can largely do on my own time. <_<;;

Play whatever the discord flavour of the month is, obviously.

Dark souls? I assume it's Dark Souls. Then something else in a couple of weeks that won't be Stellaris to spite me.

iammeiam

Dark souls? I assume it's Dark Souls. Then something else in a couple of weeks that won't be Stellaris to spite me.

Stellaris comes out like the day before Uncharted 4 so good luck with that. You and Krael can swap tips about making space great again.

Then two weeks later is Mirror's Edge and Overwatch.

who needs ffxiv

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Stellaris comes out like the day before Uncharted 4 so good luck with that. You and Krael can swap tips about making space great again.

God I forgot that wasn't out yet, feels like it was announced forever ago. Krael has good taste! Except this game!

I don't know what's with all this debate about raids and what's the best when To Kill A Raven wins by the sole reason that it meant 1.0 was over and couldn't hurt you anymore.

studyguy

Going snowboarding all weekend.
Good stuff, also my airship has dredged up nothing but crap all week, no material, nothing. I even improved it a ton, what the fuck.

Hey guys, My buddy and I are looking to pick FFXIV up next month after we're out of university for the summer. So right now we're looking into where the best place to buy the game and expansion is. Alot of the cheapest prices are EU versions, but I'm not sure they will work for NA accounts. Is there a difference between the EU and NA versions? If so where is the best (Cheapest) place to pick the game an expansion up at?

BadRNG

God I forgot that wasn't out yet, feels like it was announced forever ago. Krael has good taste! Except this game!
Preorders just went up this week! GMG has a 25% code for it already too. Been following the Blorg streams, game looking great.

I may be the last person left alive who didn't make it in to the beta. I just know it's coming and when it does it'll take over everyone's lives.
I didn't/haven't/will never get into the beta either. Not ever being able to play it may keep it from taking over my life though so that could be a positive.

When will we have a static for statics
Is that not what this thread is.

Hey guys, My buddy and I are looking to pick FFXIV up next month after we're out of university for the summer. So right now we're looking into where the best place to buy the game and expansion is. Alot of the cheapest prices are EU versions, but I'm not sure they will work for NA accounts. Is there a difference between the EU and NA versions? If so where is the best (Cheapest) place to pick the game an expansion up at?
EU version would need an EU service account. There's no actual difference between the versions though, just your account type will be different, and you'll need to get any future expansions in that version. Everyone plays on same servers and has access to all the same content/languages. There is a similar difference between the Steam versions and the everythingelse versions, so if you end up getting it on Steam you'll have to use steam going forward and that could mean missing out on future sales as every other retailer uses the regular PC version.

Can't really help you much on cheapest source. I'll throw in though that you don't really need the expansion at the start unless you want to play as an Aura race. If you aren't sure you will like the game or just want to wait to see if it goes on sale before you reach near the end of the vanilla experience, you won't be missing much by waiting.

Preorders just went up this week! GMG has a 25% code for it already too. Been following the Blorg streams, game looking great.

I didn't/haven't/will never get into the beta either. Not ever being able to play it may keep it from taking over my life though so that could be a positive.

Is that not what this thread is.

EU version would need an EU service account. There's no actual difference between the versions though, just your account type will be different, and you'll need to get any future expansions in that version. Everyone plays on same servers and has access to all the same content/languages. There is a similar difference between the Steam versions and the everythingelse versions, so if you end up getting it on Steam you'll have to use steam going forward and that could mean missing out on future sales as every other retailer uses the regular PC version.

Can't really help you much on cheapest source. I'll throw in though that you don't really need the expansion at the start unless you want to play as an Aura race. If you aren't sure you will like the game or just want to wait to see if it goes on sale before you reach near the end of the vanilla experience, you won't be missing much by waiting.

Ok thanks for the info. I've heard if you buy the game on EU, it can be difficult to do payment related things because your Credib/debit is NA based and not EU based. Has anyone had experience with this? We're looking at getting the EU version because well to be frank it would be cheaper and allow us to use the extra money for the sub.

Ken

DRG with lag probably stinks more than NIN cause I think optimal BotD rotations have an already tight window.

I guess with MNK you might not be able to take full advantage of GL3's haste and duration (I had an annoying time keeping GL3 up between A4S legs since I was behind a GCD compared to other monks iirc). Could say the same about Huton but that's a lot less detrimental for obvious reasons (longer duration).

Raijinken

Oh wow. I asked him how it was going last Sunday and it sounded like they were pretty far.

....now is the time to strike rai.

Hm, perhaps their break had already ended and I was not aware. I haven't seen them in A8S for a while when I check the linkshell I'm in with them. Maybe it's just bad timing.

I think my group will keep its server 4th everything title. We're reducing our raid days to 3-4 days a week now, so we won't be pushing ourselves as hard as we did on A5-A7S. The only two groups I can imagine beating A8S before us would be ZR and the leading Awake group. Awake group 2 might but they struggled on A7S a little more than we did and we beat it one reset before them, so it could be anyone's game now.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
It's really hard to find good caster glamours in this game.

Or maybe Elezen look weird in most gear.

Jayhawk

Tonight, I managed to go from 0 matches played to early into bronze ranking with the new feast season in solo queue. Some matches were great, with last minute kills of the person with the 10-stack being the deciding factor.

There were a couple of victories where I had to run around for the last minute with 7+ stacks with Fist of Earth, sprint, and weird movement patterns to avoid getting hit. It's nice when the other randoms are semi-competent, especially when they're aware that a new primary target is made, due to a shift in medals. Though those situations with 7+ stacks on me as the Monk often involve tunneling tanks who neglect to pick up the opposing tank's large stack of medals when the range DPS or I kill the tank.

There are also the healers who are warned in the prep period that I will be bursted down first, yet they don't believe me and then it happens. If I let the range dps get both buffs at the start, it puts a nice juicy target on me. Pop that Fist of Earth, Foresight, Featherfoot and Purify the right debuffs and make the other team spend their cooldowns.

I will try to get into silver ranking this weekend. I'm going to need to make some macros for coordinating LBs in the last minute of close matches that are clearly going to time out. In one match where my team's healer was having connection problems and disconnected, I melee LB'd an autoturret for science. It didn't die. RIP

Playing a bunch of matches in 4-5 hour period also resulted into matching up against the same few melees. Building those Ryu-Ken rivalries against some Dragoons.

Top Bottom