• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Wilsongt

^ The amusing thing is, FFXIV:ARR actually has really good English voice work and translation in general. Heavensward seems to have changed some key actors, though, and it's a bit weird getting used to that so far.

Old Thancred > New Thancred voice.

Everyone else has been a general improvement, though I was really starting to like Sam Regal Alphi.

rocK`

Banned
Any GAFers on ultros, can you re-send me an FC invite? i likely got kicked out due to inactivity.

Eva Valkyrie is the name!

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Think I'll take monk from 50 to 60. I miss how delightfully fiddly that class is. Also, I can give groups heart attacks every time I steadfastly refuse to move in the name of lightning stacks. ♥

Wow at all this...
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/4fcsbx/i_am_aniero_of_the_ffxiv_podcast_limit_break/

So I listened to the segment on LBR that lead to this. I only know the context of the situation that lead them to do their segment based on what the LBR guys said, so I might be missing relevant info. But the host goes in hard on Reddit, and his language gets a bit ridiculous/juvenile and it's downright painful to listen to after a certain a point. I also think he crossed the line with one comment, somebody else on the show (a girl, not sure who she is sadly since I only listened to the segment and am not familiar enough with LBR's hosts/guests) also said the same thing after I thought it.

Also wow, outside of Mr Happy, Xeonosys, and MTQcapture, doesn't seem like anyone else's videos get any sort of decent views for FF XIV related content.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Wow at all this...
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/4fcsbx/i_am_aniero_of_the_ffxiv_podcast_limit_break/

So I listened to the segment on LBR that lead to this. I only know the context of the situation that lead them to do their segment based on what the LBR guys said, so I might be missing relevant info. But the host goes in hard on Reddit, and his language gets a bit ridiculous/juvenile and it's downright painful to listen to after a certain a point. I also think he crossed the line with one comment, somebody else on the show (a girl, not sure who she is sadly since I only listened to the segment and am not familiar enough with LBR's hosts/guests) also said the same thing after I thought it.

Also wow, outside of Mr Happy, Xeonosys, and MTQcapture, doesn't seem like anyone else's videos get any sort of decent views for FF XIV related content.

That whole Reddit drama thing was the first I ever heard of LBR, so I checked out their stuff. They came off as pretty abrasive to me, especially the guy going on a tear in that response to Reddit. It's not as bad as the really bad days of WoW, but after perusing their stuff I have no desire to listen anymore.

I suspect a lot of people looking for FFXIV videos are looking for guides of some sort or another, and since Mr Happy, MTQcapture, and to a lesser extent Xenosys, put out a decent amount they probably gobble up most of those views. Xenosys probably gets his views more for the crazy solo / duoing he does and his crazy WAR guides. I'm not sure if anyone else puts out enough high quality content of that sort to eat into those guys' viewerships. On a side note, I've noticed Mr Happy has been trying to branch out a bit, but those videos aren't doing anywhere near as well as his FFXIV stuff.

Wilsongt

Wow at all this...

Sadly, MizzTeq is probably the most approachable, friendly, and likable of those three. I love watching her stream and I love watching her videos. As opposed to Xeno who is a huge prick, as well as several people he runs with. His FC and another merged on our server and a large portion of end-game raiders are there now. Still, I stopped following him on twitch because he fairly abrasive and his chat has the "i'm a prick too because I gobble up Xeno's dick" attitude. I just plain don't like Mr. happy.

iammeiam

LBR's whole schtick just makes me feel incredibly old. They're obnoxious as a bit, which totally makes it ok, because entertainment! But they have an audience, so the whole over-the-top thing seems to be working.

Maybe The Feast will take off and intense PVP theorycrafting and eSports will suddenly create a thriving market for FFXIV user-created content (lolololololol), but aside from that there's just not much to cover with broad appeal (especially in NA/Europe, where almost nobody raids). Everything is very on-rails, so you get raid guides, the occasional unique clear vid, then just a lot of mid-tier content with extremely limited appeal.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
LBR's whole schtick just makes me feel incredibly old. They're obnoxious as a bit, which totally makes it ok, because entertainment! But they have an audience, so the whole over-the-top thing seems to be working.

Maybe The Feast will take off and intense PVP theorycrafting and eSports will suddenly create a thriving market for FFXIV user-created content (lolololololol), but aside from that there's just not much to cover with broad appeal (especially in NA/Europe, where almost nobody raids). Everything is very on-rails, so you get raid guides, the occasional unique clear vid, then just a lot of mid-tier content with extremely limited appeal.

I don't really pay a huge amount of attention to the raid scene these days. Is it mostly Japan where it is fairly active then?

Valor

Listening to the video in that OP and like I agree with the sentiment the guy is saying but man... a classic example of how not to say it. I dunno why he thinks he needs to Mithrie. Oh my god, his language is getting worse, and I don't have the cleanest mouth in the world. However, you need to know how to handle yourself when you have and want a public soapbox.

It's just annoying, to be honest. If that makes me "old", so be it, but I think even back in the day, I would have found that over-the-top anger a bit too much. It does not come off as an act, either.

FF XIV PVP will never take off. If it was going to, something would have happened by now, like some streaming league or Square Enix setting something up with a Twitch channel or eSports league. I don't even think WoW's competitive scene (pvp, raid) is big enough anymore or carries enough clout to get much coverage like the heavy hitters of League, Dota2, Heroes, or even approach the level of the FGC which is a tier below Mobas in the popularity charts. It has a lot to do I think with watching MMOs is boring as hell most of the time (especially progression...hours of wiping on a single phase is not entertaining) for live streaming, but at the same time, Square Enix's "answer" so far to raise awareness in the streaming community is bribe some semi-popular YT and Twitch personalities to jump in a and play XIV for a bit, which is good for a flash-in-the-pan rallying point (ie, you need more stuff built around it to do something with it), but it does nothing to build up your community and promote sustainability.

I don't know the entire situation behind the FF XIV Community Team with their work load and what they literally can't do because their hands are tied by the team over in Japan, but they've done an "okay" job I think given the resources, but it's not enough IMO. Also who knows what SE JP's priority is, if they won't give the resources to support XIV, nothing anyone can do internally. As it stands, while XIV ARR made a bigger splash than XI did I think, I feel like it's doomed to the same fate in terms of relevancy -- a passionate, small fan base following that's the active community, and smaller scale events thrown by the community team doing what it can with what they have. Blizzard and WoW they will never be when it comes to community/popularity. I think that ship sailed for that potential in 2014 and it's not coming back.

i think some of you need to get acquainted with DrakGamestein .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCmoP0OTqY8

Their raid video's are always hilarious

This is what I dreamed GARF would be. I still believe.

Squishy3

My group's behavior was like that when we were sleepwalking through phases 1 and 2 of Sephirot.

But yeah, Drak's videos are good stuff.

Korra when are you just going to teach easy allies to raid

iammeiam

I don't really pay a huge amount of attention to the raid scene these days. Is it mostly Japan where it is fairly active then?

I'm mostly thinking back to FCoB clear data. From what I remember at the time JP servers hovered at around 10%; the highest NA/EU server was a hair under 5% and it went downhill from there. Even tacking on a couple percent of people who cleared but didn't bother grabbing the minion, we lagged behind during the rose-tinted days of Coil.

This was before Gordias set the raid scene on fire and ran off laughing into the night; the clear rate for A4S was likely substantially worse everywhere with the NA server disparity likely much higher. Raiding isn't super common anywhere, but NA and EU lagged noticeably.

LBR are clearly the shock jocks of FFXIV related podcasts/content. It's low brow, crass, and immature and has progressively gotten worse over time. I listened to them a few times over the last few years as they occasionally had some interesting topics/I was interested in hearing from others besides the usual community members on YT, but stopped once I realized exactly where they were going with their material. This beef with the reddit sub isn't a new thing entirely either!

i think some of you need to get acquainted with DrakGamestein .

Heavensward spoilers !!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCmoP0OTqY8

Their raid video's are always hilarious

I just found this channel a month or so ago and I'd agree.

Squishy3

Yeah, FFXIV video content generation is pretty low outside of the 4 people mentioned (and Square did that sponsored push where they got TeamFourStar and some other Youtubers that played to do some videos) but they all do other stuff and can't do FFXIV videos on top of all that stuff. Not like most of FFXIV is very exciting to watch anyway.

Redx508

LBR are clearly the shock jocks of FFXIV related podcasts/content. It's low brow, crass, and immature and has progressively gotten worse over time. I listened to them a few times over the last few years as they occasionally had some interesting topics/I was interested in hearing from others besides the usual community members on YT, but stopped once I realized exactly where they were going with their material. This beef with the reddit sub isn't a new thing entirely either!

I just found this channel a month or so ago and I'd agree.

yep this LBR vs reddit thing been going on for some time now. I just unfollow them today don't need to see this in my timeline. i am not a fan of r/ffxiv also but when that's the go to site for news not much you can do.

Sorian

Banned
I just read this page and my thought was "smh fucking 5 year olds" I'll now go back to getting my rating destroyed more in pvp and maybe beating A6S.

Sorian

Banned
I can't even get PVP matches anymore with my 30+ minute wait times.

Haven't had a queue longer than 20 minutes since 3.26 dropped and I went all through the weekend and plenty this morning.

Getting annoyed now though since I dropped like 100 points this morning.

Jayhawk

Haven't had a queue longer than 20 minutes since 3.26 dropped and I went all through the weekend and plenty this morning.

Getting annoyed now though since I dropped like 100 points this morning.

Is Rum Raisin or Koltik to blame? It's time for Asami melee for that 5 minute melee DPS PVP queue times.

Our group is looking for a perm brd/mch going forward. We only have ours till mid may sadly. We are on 7s progression.

Hit me up if you or someone you know is looking for a group. Ultros.

Edit, also Korra: reminder, 7pm PST on Tuesday!

Squishy3

The ability bloat in this game is too real

Yoshida pls fix/stahp
They need to make combos not redundant and put them on the same button, at the very least. (although this poses a problem with jobs with branching combos, but that's not my problem I'm not a designer!)

RPGCrazied

Was wondering if I can maybe come back to the guild, I will understand if not. I kinda left it when I received a ban from GAF, which I won't get into.

Just I'm sorry I left.

Damnit... I just went and created a character. Ultros was available but I clicked and now it says not accepting new characters. Keep refreshing and there's only two servers. Lamia and Hyperion for Primal. Is the game really that populated?

Squishy3

Damnit... I just went and created a character. Ultros was available but I clicked and now it says not accepting new characters. Keep refreshing and there's only two servers. Lamia and Hyperion for Primal. Is the game really that populated?
It's based on current load (and there are always lots of gil sellers) just try during off-peak hours for whatever server you want to get into. Late late (like past 1am) or early morning tend to work best.

It's based on current load (and there are always lots of gil sellers) just try during off-peak hours for whatever server you want to get into. Late late (like past 1am) or early morning tend to work best.

Is there a difference between Aether and Primal? I have Excellent connection to Primal. But Poor to Aether. I thought the data centers were in the same location?

RPGCrazied

Can I say the AF2 gear looks really bad ass? At least on the Dragoon it does. Almost got it done, save for the weapon an leg armor. Grinding esoterics is a pain though.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I'm using this post as a reminder to show off some of my glams and hopefully get a glam-off going in this thread.
Waiting for the glams.

On the subject of glamour, I was not fully aware until recently but bard/aiming gear is basically perfect on Elezen.

Teknoman

They painstakingly removed all the instances where a boss would name his ultimate move out loud because... I don't know, it wasn't serious enough for this high fantasy epic.

I would've liked that... I mean its never been in any other FF, but in games like Skies of Arcadia, its always a welcome thing.

Top Bottom