• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Not really. You just need to find what works like any race :p
I'm trying! It's not going so well. Most of the caster stuff that looks good on them ends up being robes and stuff. Trying to find something else that looks good that isn't a robe and isn't Allagan gear.
Try the basic elezen gear, it looks great when dyed
I do like that set, it's one of the best racials. Looking for something else though.

WolvenOne

Play whatever the discord flavour of the month is, obviously.

Dark souls? I assume it's Dark Souls. Then something else in a couple of weeks that won't be Stellaris to spite me.

Why do you think I'm not on Discord that often these days? XD

Real talk though, I'm budgeting my funds right now. Besides, I haven't played Dark Souls 2 yet.

Is clearing Odin with a PUG impossible? I've yet to complete the quest Urth's Fount and all my different parties have been wiped for a total of 30+ times. As a Warrior tank I've got the fight mechanics nailed down but we still rarely reach the enrage phase and if we do it's mostly at 25-30%.

Ken

Is clearing Odin with a PUG impossible? I've yet to complete the quest Urth's Fount and all my different parties have been wiped for a total of 30+ times. As a Warrior tank I've got the fight mechanics nailed down but we still rarely reach the enrage phase and if we do it's mostly at 25-30%.

Unsynced PF "have bonus"

Atolm

Just finished my 210 Bard relic. It looks so cool with the glamour I have. In total it took me around 3 weeks of doing all dailies, though I had 2 stacks of beast tribes tokens. This week I've been farming A1 and A4 too, and doing hunts as well.

I'm glad I'm done at last, doing all the roulette for weeks has been extremely tiresome, at the end of the day I felt physically exhausted. I'll get Hyperconductive at next reset.

IvorB

So I've decided to suspend my sub for now. Been playing this game non-stop since beta which is, like, 2 years and I think I gotta give it a rest for a while. Gonna come back in a few months with a refreshed appetite I think. :)

Akainu

Garuda extreme..."stop attaking the spiny plume aggro the garudas away from each other STOP ATTACK THE SPINY PLUME!" You think they would get it the first time and yet it keeps happening time and time again. What is wrong with people?

Squishy3

Garuda extreme..."stop attaking the spiny plume aggro the garudas away from each other STOP ATTACK THE SPINY PLUME!" You think they would get it the first time and yet it keeps happening time and time again. What is wrong with people?
I tried doing this fight when it was still slightly relevant (right before HW launched) and it was a mess then too.

I think the craziest thing is Ravana EX farms are already insanely similar to Garuda EX farms. An unsynced Garuda EX is roughly 2 minutes. My group running Ravana EX (even just running the standard party comp when everyone has a mix of 220/230 weapons) can skip adds, rose of hate and swift liberation making it a 4 minute run. :lol

Yet PFs still get parried left and right and can't skip adds. <_<

Redx508

So I've decided to suspend my sub for now. Been playing this game non-stop since beta which is, like, 2 years and I think I gotta give it a rest for a while. Gonna come back in a few months with a refreshed appetite I think. :)

if your feeling burned out take some time off

Vashetti

Banned

I was like you. Tried for days and days with the Duty Finder and random groups.

Gave up and GAF (Ultros) coasted me through unsynced, all of us at level 60. It was awesome.

BadRNG

So would it be possible for them to add flight to pre-heavensward areas?

I'm tired of traveling by foot in those areas.
They discussed this in the pre-HW buildup. It's not designed with flight in mind, they'd have to redo all the areas. They didn't want to do that so not happening, at least not until an expansion does it some time down the line.

Over halfway done with stage 3 or anima weapon for MNK 48/80 and 4/4 HQ items sitting in the retainer until I finish. 2/5 Crystal Tower quest item.

Hunts are nice, but I'm really starting to feel the grind but at the same time I'm compelled to keep pressing on. At least I have beast tribes to help with the shells and ore, but good lord the Vanu and Gnath make you wait a full week before trading in the items just for one. Allied seals help, but why did they leave Centurios out of this quest? I get more of those than the allied it seems and been spam buying Clan Mark logs by the off chance the next step after this latest one requires them.

Seems I never should of waited to do this because farming A1.+ A4 was a good way to get esos and the parts for two of the items, now normal is dead content right now. So it's hunts and roulettes to get the eso fix, though spamming Void Ark seems to be a viable option considering how fast queues are, just takes a bit long for my taste.

What is a fast way to grind poetics, is it coil? Or ARR EX primals?

Squishy3

Over halfway done with stage 3 or anima weapon for MNK 48/80 and 4/4 HQ items sitting in the retainer until I finish. 2/5 Crystal Tower quest item.

Hunts are nice, but I'm really starting to feel the grind but at the same time I'm compelled to keep pressing on. At least I have beast tribes to help with the shells and ore, but good lord the Vanu and Gnath make you wait a full week before trading in the items just for one. Allied seals help, but why did they leave Centurios out of this quest? I get more of those than the allied it seems and been spam buying Clan Mark logs by the off chance the next step after this latest one requires them.

Seems I never should of waited to do this because farming A1.+ A4 was a good way to get esos and the parts for two of the items, now normal is dead content right now. So it's hunts and roulettes to get the eso fix, though spamming Void Ark seems to be a viable option considering how fast queues are, just takes a bit long for my taste.

ARR EX Primals would probably be the fastest. Garuda EX is probably the fastest, as you can kill it in less than 2 minutes. (And the last time I did it was when 180 was the cap.)

I just do the roulettes and joined parties that had bonus. I also killed s ranks a lot. I would say do the same. I once had a party go through all of coil and that was about 1000+ tomes right there with bonus. If you get Castrum on roulette, I'd suggest putting music on because that dungeon sucks.

Omni

Seems quite a few people are doing the old relic, so I've jumped on that train. Up to the book stage.

Is there stuff I can do for later steps as I'm doing this?

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Scourge is 500 potency. It's a Fell Cleave over time. Use it, it's really strong.

Thanks! Are there specific times where I turn on Darkside for abilities, or should it always be on? I'm confused about Dark Arts T_T

Okie dokie. Then what is this Dark Arts Soul Eater combos I see people mention? I'm only lvl 35 right now, so have a lot to unlock still. Is this something I shouldn't even concern myself with right now?
Dark Arts is a oGCD skill that costs MP to improve certain skills. Empowered Soul Eater is your hardest hitting combo and your second best use for Dark Arts.

Either way you shouldn't be worrying about this right now since your kit is only complete when you hit 60 and get C&S

BadRNG

Been futzing around with DRK tanking. Is Scourge worth using or is it considered a waste of a GCD?
It's the highest potency/GCD move you have - one of the highest in the game in fact. 5 ticks (15s) is enough to make it your highest non DA GCD move (300 pot), 8 ticks (24s) is enough to put it above a DA SE (420 pot vs 400), full and it's practically a fell cleave DoT with it's crazy 500 potency. You basically want it up any time it can tick for most of its timer, with near maximum uptime on bosses and the like. In add/multi boss situations where the targets will be alive that long it is often worth it to multi dot all the things like BRDs/SMNs/etc do.

Seems quite a few people are doing the old relic, so I've jumped on that train. Up to the book stage.

Is there stuff I can do for later steps as I'm doing this?
Who is doing the old relic, why would you do that to yourself. Glamor? Is the game already that dead.

My advice on the later steps is to not do them.
/helpful

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Dark Arts is a oGCD skill that costs MP to improve certain skills. Empowered Soul Eater is your hardest hitting combo and your second best use for Dark Arts.

Either way you shouldn't be worrying about this right now since your kit is only complete when you hit 60 and get C&S

Thanks. =) I'll just focus on getting to 60 for now and pour over all the nuts and bolts of the class more closely when I get there.

Tenrius

Do the advanced jobs make the basic ones obsolete? Basically, I've reached lvl 36 with my arcanist, should I level a thaumaturge and/or conjurer up to 15 ASAP?

Squishy3

Do the advanced jobs make the basic ones obsolete? Basically, I've reached lvl 36 with my arcanist, should I level a thaumaturge and/or conjurer up to 15 ASAP?
Yeah. You'll want thaumaturge up to 26 too for swiftcast.

Edit: I've been running Thordan for like the past 2 hours and we've seen like 80 bows drop.

Wilsongt

Someone made the connection that Moogle beasttribes are next and that is where are dandelion mount comes from?

It's true isn't it?

My Moogle PTSD just got triggered.

Robin64

One reward should be a Moogle companion that we can paint.

S8ifYH2.jpg

Do it, SE.

Omni

Who is doing the old relic, why would you do that to yourself. Glamor? Is the game already that dead.

My advice on the later steps is to not do them.
/helpful

Just a few friends, haha. Yanno after reading the steps required, I don't think it's THAT horrible. It's not something that you'd want to try and burn out all at once, of course. But for a little side project here and there, why not? At the end you get a cool glamour (the true end-game) and a title.

I got through the fate part in about three hours. Books will take me weeks, if not longer. But hey. Still feels more manageable than running Alex 620 times.

Thorgal

I just finished the 2.55 story so next stop , Heavensward !

Now i understand why people in old threads where speculating
Raubahn was going to be the dark knight trainer . guy went super warrior with 50 stacks of Rage. :p

iammeiam

Just a few friends, haha. Yanno after reading the steps required, I don't think it's THAT horrible. It's not something that you'd want to try and burn out all at once, of course. But for a little side project here and there, why not? At the end you get a cool glamour (the true end-game) and a title.

I got through the fate part in about three hours. Books will take me weeks, if not longer. But hey. Still feels more manageable than running Alex 620 times.

I've been thinking about it and I don't think there's much you can do for ARR relic in advance the first time through, since most of the items are walled behind quests. I think you can:

- Start buying Bombard Cores with GC seals. You need 4 for the Zodiac step.
- Get the Zodiac items crafted.
- I think the 100,000 Gil vendor items for the Zodiac step are immediately available, but not 100% sure.
- Gather 75 junk materia for the Alexandrite step.

Most of the stuff is easier to do concurrently the second relic through (doing Zodiac dungeon atma at the same time as books, picking up the Alexandrite daily for EXDR and doing Alexandrite maps before you get to that step, prebuying the poetics water for Zodiac), but you can't get to it until you unlock it the first time.

It's something Anima handles much better.

Robin64

Raubahn was going to be the dark knight trainer . guy went super warrior with 50 stacks of Rage. :p

Be sure to let the Heavensward cinematic run on the title screen now, it's so awesome.

What did you think Thorgal? Was it good?

I've heard so many good things about the FFXIV storyline. I'm only lvl 26 but so far it is interesting.

I've been exposed to Blade and Soul and Black Desert over the last couple of months, and both games are great, but their storylines are not only bad by MMORPG standards, their translations- And not just the voice acting work, but the descriptions are complete garbage.
In Black Desert, the team they have on translation, I believe is just some of the Korean team members who did it their spare time, because a lot of it is completely broken.
I appreciate the level of character they put into the dialogue. It reminds me of talking to NPCs in Majoras Mask.
To me personally, one of the best things about the FFXIV story so far is that I can play it in Japanese. Boy does it suck to be forced to play it in English in other MMOs with that bad voice work. It is horrific. :D

Robin64

^ The amusing thing is, FFXIV:ARR actually has really good English voice work and translation in general. Heavensward seems to have changed some key actors, though, and it's a bit weird getting used to that so far.

Thorgal

What did you think Thorgal? Was it good?

I've heard so many good things about the FFXIV storyline. I'm only lvl 26 but so far it is interesting.

I've been exposed to Blade and Soul and Black Desert over the last couple of months, and both games are great, but their storylines are not only bad by MMORPG standards, their translations- And not just the voice acting work, but the descriptions are complete garbage.
In Black Desert, the team they have on translation, I believe is just some of the Korean team members who did it their spare time, because a lot of it is completely broken.
I appreciate the level of character they put into the dialogue. It reminds me of talking to NPCs in Majoras Mask.
To me personally, one of the best things about the FFXIV story so far is that I can play it in Japanese. Boy does it suck to be forced to play it in English in other MMOs with that bad voice work. It is horrific. :D

let me put it this way: if i was around when patch 2.55 came out originally i would be throwing money at the screen right now for the expansion .
Also when they say ingame that you should make sure you have sufficient time to watch it they really mean it . depending on how fast you go through it the ending may take up an hour or 2 .

also yeah , the voice acting is not bad . some may be a bit off in 2.0 ( but none of them earbleedingly so) but iirc that was because the English VA had to be rushed a bit ?

Edit : to solve the conundrum of which language i go with i decided to make an alt to go through the game with Japanese voice acting while my main stays with the English ones .

Somnia

So I finally have my PC back, had some issues late last year IRL and then had PC issues, but just recently built a new PC and am patching FFXIV while at work :)

I got up to level 20 something before I had to quit playing and was digging the story and the first dungeon so far, felt good to be hooked on an MMO again. When I got my PC back I tried BDO first and it just did not hook me like I thought it would, so I re-subbed to XIV last night and downloaded the client. Pretty hyped about returning!

Frumix

Suffering From Success
English Ravana doesn't yell Chandrahas. JP > ENG.

They painstakingly removed all the instances where a boss would name his ultimate move out loud because... I don't know, it wasn't serious enough for this high fantasy epic.

Redx508

So I finally have my PC back, had some issues late last year IRL and then had PC issues, but just recently built a new PC and am patching FFXIV while at work :)

I got up to level 20 something before I had to quit playing and was digging the story and the first dungeon so far, felt good to be hooked on an MMO again. When I got my PC back I tried BDO first and it just did not hook me like I thought it would, so I re-subbed to XIV last night and downloaded the client. Pretty hyped about returning!

Welcome back!

Top Bottom