• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Omni

I'm using this post as a reminder to show off some of my glams and hopefully get a glam-off going in this thread.

Glamour, you say. Friend crafted this coat for me a bit earlier. Pure white dye cost like 300k but it was totally worth it. Soooo good.

sWdvZtS.jpg

Gonna grab the tank one next. Just gotta save a bit more gil as they're super expensive. What floor of Coils do the body mats come from anyway?

There is a god. Random, last minute PF stating 0 exp required. 20 mins before reset. Blaster slain. 9 stacks, 5 sets of mines, and so many moments I thought we were going to go so long we'd hit enrage on the first robot. But we did it Reddit.

Ok... for someone who's just starting and a little confused. How do I use waypoints if any? Is there a way to track my current quest and just have it indicate on the compass which direction to go?

Ken

Ok... for someone who's just starting and a little confused. How do I use waypoints if any? Is there a way to track my current quest and just have it indicate on the compass which direction to go?

If you bring up the quest log, you can click the "Map" button for the quest and it'll open up a larger map with the objective centered and marked. A shortcut to the same thing is to click on the quest objective (?) itself in your on-screen quest tracker.

Ex. http://www.dpsvip.com/images/news/quest prompt.jpg

The compass will have arrows pointing you in the direction of active quests (they'll be against the edge of the compass if the objective extends past your compass).

Ex: https://superiorrealities.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/ffxiv-4.jpg

Notice the 4 arrows, red and blue, pointing south to south east on his mini-compass. I think blue means Main Story Quests and red is side-quests. That means he has objectives in that direction. He also has another objective that is in the red circle but since it's nearby it'll show up as such instead of as an arrow.

If you bring up the quest log, you can click the "Map" button for the quest and it'll open up a larger map with the objective centered and marked. A shortcut to the same thing is to click on the quest objective (?) itself in your on-screen quest tracker.

Ex. http://www.dpsvip.com/images/news/quest prompt.jpg

The compass will have arrows pointing you in the direction of active quests (they'll be against the edge of the compass if the objective extends past your compass).

Ex: https://superiorrealities.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/ffxiv-4.jpg

Notice the 4 arrows, red and blue, pointing south to south east on his mini-compass. I think blue means Main Story Quests and red is side-quests. That means he has objectives in that direction. He also has another objective that is in the red circle but since it's nearby it'll show up as such instead of as an arrow.

Thanks much appreciated.

Valor

There is a god. Random, last minute PF stating 0 exp required. 20 mins before reset. Blaster slain. 9 stacks, 5 sets of mines, and so many moments I thought we were going to go so long we'd hit enrage on the first robot. But we did it Reddit.

Congrats on your Blaster kill

Enjolras

Neo Member
Found a fun linkshell on Cerberus that's all about going back to Coil without echo, and synced to 50, and I'd honestly forgotten what it's like to have that much fun in the game. Helped 3 new people to a T5 clear last night (my first clear minus echo too), and I think my love for XIV has now been rekindled properly.

demonkaze

So my nephew who's started playing this game (his first mmo) is now a Lv 40 DRG and he's starting to get overwhelmed at all his skills and where to put them in his bar (gamepad mode). I've already got him using the R2+L2 shortcut but he just doesn't know what to put on set 1 and what on set 8 so I was wondering if any DRG's here could maybe share a picture of their setup to help him?

Omni

So my nephew who's started playing this game (his first mmo) is now a Lv 40 DRG and he's starting to get overwhelmed at all his skills and where to put them in his bar (gamepad mode). I've already got him using the R2+L2 shortcut but he just doesn't know what to put on set 1 and what on set 8 so I was wondering if any DRG's here could maybe share a picture of their setup to help him?
It's not something I main, but here. Jumps on the trigger shortcuts, with the extra bars to show me when their CDs are up. I don't use piercing talon, so I've not got it on there at all. But there's no wrong way of doing it, in my opinion. Just whatever works for him.

Valor

Be sure to let him know that you don't need to use all 8 sets. In fact, it's better to not use all 8 sets. A vast majority of my classes just use the main hotbar and the R2+L2 Shortcut bars.

The key thing to tell him is to keep abilities that aren't very useful off of your bars. It frees up a lot of real estate. Basically do what rosso did and have him remove Feint and Piercing Talon immediately because those are two totally worthless skills.

A good rule of thumb for me is to keep your most used/GCD skills (Heavy Thrust -> Full Thrust Combo, eventually Chaos Thrust combo) on your main bar you'll spend most of your time, and your more "situational" skills like jumps and stuff on extra bars. It lets you swap around far less often and flows better. That's just my opinion, however, and how he plays could be totally different.

I use at maximum three of my hotbars for offensive skills and the remaining five I have set up as global ones for other stuff like mounts, minions, emotes, teleport/return/sprint and all that sort of thing.

Jeels

With my relic up to date I am not sure how I want to spend my time until next patch. Unfortunately, after I platinum Ratchet there are also no other games I am interested in until past the summer.

Squishy3

:v

Pvp is such a pain because i need another base set strictly for pvp actions. it's terrible and makes me not wanna bother.
Yeah, PVP hotbars need to be completely separate. Make it so you can only queue for PVP from the PVP place that way it can trigger the switch from your normal hotbars into ones exclusive for PVP, like Guild Wars 2 does.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Glamour, you say. Friend crafted this coat for me a bit earlier. Pure white dye cost like 300k but it was totally worth it. Soooo good.

Gonna grab the tank one next. Just gotta save a bit more gil as they're super expensive. What floor of Coils do the body mats come from anyway?
I wish the Allagan Replica's didn't run so high on the MB, could always rope my FC into farming coils, but ehhh.

Been looking for people, haven't seen many around.

Hey, thanks. :)

Rather than finding someone directly, you can also do an area search and click on any name in the list that has a GAF tag. From there you can get to the guild application menu.

As suzu said there should at least be a few people near the FC house in Mist if that doesn't work.

Omni

For some reason I'm more surprised at the fact that it's a scholar solo healing them all

I'm gonna try and do it on my WHM during the week. Could be fun.

Squishy3

For some reason I'm more surprised at the fact that it's a scholar solo healing them all

Never underestimate the power of crit shields.

Got one in Thordan EX the other day that was good enough for ultimate end to do 0 damage and still wasn't expended after heavenly heel and the cleave after.

First solo heals are usually a SCH it always feels like. Being able to spam heal the MT with the fairy while casting your own group heals is always critical until everyone outgears it sufficiently.

iammeiam

7 PLDs also makes a big difference in what kind of healing is required vs fhe normal solo heal where you have 5 comparatively squishy DPS running around.

That near enrage, though.

Thorgal

went and turned my UI around to an minimalist one after my old one obscuring to much of my character causing me to get hit 3 times in a row without me seeing the marker .

if anyone cares , i am happy to also post where all the other stuf like party list is placed .

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
went and turned my UI around to an minimalist one after my old one obscuring to much of my character causing me to get hit 3 times in a row without me seeing the marker .

if anyone cares , i am happy to also post where all the other stuf like party list is placed .
Doesn't hurt to disable the Duty List on occasion either. You've got a lot of a screen real estate, but that camera angle would distract me. I tend to have mine higher.

RPGCrazied

So, when do you guys think they will announce a new expansion? Hopefully they have several in mind. I hope this game lasts a long time. 11 lasted like a decade didn't it?

Allard

So, when do you guys think they will announce a new expansion? Hopefully they have several in mind. I hope this game lasts a long time. 11 lasted like a decade didn't it?

If new expansion isn't announced at E3 (which I doubt it will by the way because) it will likely be announced at the fan festival in October.

Jeels

Honestly I'm hoping they can wrap it up in three more expansions...maybe All Mhigo, Doma, and them the Empire itself?

I'd expect something by fan festival at the earliest. Or Tokyo Game Show.

There is plenty of lore Yoshi and Co. could work on. We have Ala Mihgo and the Garlean homeland to contend with, also the Ascian dimension (if that is a thing), also we could end up seeing places like West Shroud, Southern La Noseca, Cortheas Eastern/Northern/Southern highlands with high level enemies before seeing some new zones. They probably have some ideas, it looks like Ala Mihgo is most likely if the cutscenes are any indication.

They also like to merge ideas from previous games. Warring Triad and the XI events for example. Some people speculated that we might get to go on the moon.

Then there are the jobs. People are expecting at least Samurai (either tank or dps), Red Mage, and Blue Mage... but HW gave us some off beat ones like Machinist and Astrologan so who knows what we'll get. Sort of want a gunblade job... haters gonna hate, but I loved the design even if it serves no purpose.

BadRNG

11 received it's last major update last year, so that's 14 years? And the servers are still up on PC despite the PS2/360 servers going down last month. Just no new content. No idea if this game will last quite that long, I doubt anyone does, it'll stay up for as long as it's still profitable to do so. We don't know what the active sub numbers are like since they never share them, but they've made a big deal in the past about how profitable the game has been for them. Realistically they could make up as many expansions as they want as we actually know very little about the world as a whole, we know where a few land masses are but it's all pretty vague and tons of room for adding anything and everything.

Fan fest this year is most likely time for real hard details on next expansion. We might see hints of content at E3 or in 3.3 or something (like Yugiri's new race teasing midway into 2.x) but would be surprised if we see anything real.

Honestly I'm hoping they can wrap it up in three more expansions...maybe All Mhigo, Doma, and them the Empire itself?
That would be leaving a ton of content on the table, even if they went big and did the entire Othard continent for Doma and entire Ilsabard continent for the Empire for their expansions that would leave Meracydia to the south and the new mystery lands to the west. Plus all the smaller areas like Thavanir.

I know everyone is expecting Ala Mhigo at this point but part of me wonders if it is misdirection. The current 3.x plot has shown some stuff leading there but if you recall the 2.x plot had a crazy amount of self contained (or outright pointless) plotlines going on that had barely anything to do with the expansion. Even one of the most hyped up plot lines got practically written out/ignored ASAP in Heavensward.

If YoshiP still wants to do a water based expansion - he was torn between sea and sky before doing sky with Heavensward - then going south or west makes more sense. We know very little about the west other than it's new lands still being explored, but we'd have to get there by sea and they could do whatever they wanted there exactly because we don't know much about it. Likewise with going south we just know there are a bunch of islands (and then further, Meryacydia). These sorts of areas would make sense for sea based expansion.

Of course this could all just be wishful thinking, I sort of would like to leave Eorzea for a nice change of scenery.

Grats on your relic, tiduz! Question. We failed coeurlregina part 2 fate today. Does anyone know if it will spawn on primal again as fate 2 or 1? Also... just saw prey online for the first time right after coeurl failed. What are the requirements for it? People were just screaming hyperelectricity weather so I followed along.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Looking at the things that have to be done for the anima weapon, during stage 3 gathering all those Gordian doodads in Alex, is there only one per kill from a chest, or is it an item rewarded automatically only requiring 10 clears per section?

I guess this weapon will get me doing something vaguely raid-ish this expansion for a bit. =p

Ken

Looking at the things that have to be done for the anima weapon, during stage 3 gathering all those Gordian doodads in Alex, is there only one per kill from a chest, or is it an item rewarded automatically only requiring 10 clears per section?

I guess this weapon will get me doing something vaguely raid-ish this expansion for a bit. =p

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3x37zh/anima_weapon_guide/

Per clear so 10 clears for one piece and you need 20 pieces.

iammeiam

So Tea Pan copped a suspension for speed hacking in The Feast. they claim a GM saw him doing it.

Only Tea Pan was streaming at the time he was supposedly speed hacking, and wasn't. It's also kind of funny that getting suspended for speed hacking in The Feast doesn't prevent you from being ranked in The Feast, as he's still 18 on Aether (good in this case but questionable as an overall position. )

Reddit speculates this is down to a buggy auto-detect in the aftermath of that BLM speed back from a while back, as SE has erroneously suspended at least one PS4 player from it.

Basically lolSE.

Sorian

Banned
So Tea Pan copped a suspension for speed hacking in The Feast. they claim a GM saw him doing it.

Only Tea Pan was streaming at the time he was supposedly speed hacking, and wasn't. It's also kind of funny that getting suspended for speed hacking in The Feast doesn't prevent you from being ranked in The Feast, as he's still 18 on Aether (good in this case but questionable as an overall position. )

Reddit speculates this is down to a buggy auto-detect in the aftermath of that BLM speed back from a while back, as SE has erroneously suspended at least one PS4 player from it.

Basically lolSE.

I enjoy MMO pvp for the most part and feast has probably been the first thing worth doing in FFXIV (ranking something goes a long way, also not being tied to the same players due to GCs lolSE dumb idea) but yeah, I've seen no noticeable cheating at all so far which I think is a first, usually it's prevalent enough that I've seen something by now.

Top Bottom