• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Valor

lol, Blaster was no match for my fists of fury >_>

So I need materia advice. Gonna try to get my monk to join a static and want to know how to allocate the materia slots for my current gear (all 220 midan / 230 lore gear except for latest relic monk weapon). All 16 slots are empty

Here are all the important stats:

Accuracy: 717
Critical Hit Rate: 765
Determination: 619
Skill Speed: 528

Got enough Mhachi matter to get nine grade V materia. And I do have some grade IV materia stored (crit, det, sk speed) with my retainers. I know I should definitely increase my DET (and possibly my CRIT), but I do have concern about my current skill speed.

Any ideas?
as a general rule of thumb as Monk I believe you're looking at crit > det > ss.

Your accuracy is more than fine with the pieces you currently have, and you'll want to put materia onto gear where you can fit them. If you have a piece with max crit on it already, for example, you can only meld det/ss/acc onto it.

So it's really more a matter of what pieces do you have, which pieces are going to be viable for a long time versus a short time, and then you adjust from there. If you have the Lore Fists for example have 114 crit and 80 ss, and you're likely gonna have those for a while. So you can meld two det 5's into them to get +24 det on the weapon.

Materia melds are nice but not super duper ultra important, and even a handful of suboptimal IV melds aren't a big deal since you can knock them out with mutamix later if needed.

I put crit on my healing crown and it is written in red. I guess that's bad? I have done a mix of det and pie and only two savage aim (one V and Iv) have capped my crit because the ast weapon has a load of crit already, I think. What should I do now? Kind of confused.

BadRNG

I put crit on my healing crown and it is written in red. I guess that's bad? I have done a mix of det and pie and only two savage aim (one V and Iv) have capped my crit because the ast weapon has a load of crit already, I think. What should I do now? Kind of confused.
Red means part of the stat went over the cap, should look at caps beforehand to get an idea what you can do. General rule is the highest secondary stat is capped, the second highest is almost capped. Main stat is always.

Depending on how much over the cap you went, may want to go to Mutamix and destroy the materia inside for do-over.

Red means part of the stat went over the cap, should look at caps beforehand to get an idea what you can do. General rule is the highest secondary stat is capped, the second highest is almost capped. Main stat is always.

Depending on how much over the cap you went, may want to go to Mutamix and destroy the materia inside for do-over.

Well, my friend melded it for me and she said that I obtained max crit. I'm not sure but it says plus 7 so I guess I am fine. I'll have to look into it

Ken

Well, my friend melded it for me and she said that I obtained max crit. I'm not sure but it says plus 7 so I guess I am fine.

It means you hit the maximum crit stat that piece can have and some of the points from the materia is lost. If that materia was a V it would normally give you +12 crit, but because of cap you lost 5 points from it and it might have been more resourceful to pop a lower tier materia or a different stat entirely.

You can check a piece's stat cap by clicking the materia slots on this site.

http://ffxiv.ariyala.com/

IMO probably not a big deal since you'll inevitable upgrade or replace it and that causes you to lose all slotted materia anyways.

It means you hit the maximum crit stat that piece can have and some of the points from the materia is lost. If that materia was a V it would normally give you +12 crit, but because of cap you lost 5 points from it and it might have been more resourceful to pop a lower tier materia or a different stat entirely.

IMO probably not a big deal since you'll inevitable upgrade it and that causes you to lose all slotted materia anyways.

Oh I see, thanks. I just checked and it is one over the cap. I guess that's nothing to worry about then?

IMO probably not a big deal since you'll inevitable upgrade or replace it and that causes you to lose all slotted materia anyways.

ok, this is a helpful tool. just the thing I needed thx

Edit: This is what I have equipped

http://ffxiv.ariyala.com/TWBW

I really liked this game when I got to play it. but really don't like the monthly charge although can understand due to the quality why it has one. But after now being part of a family my gaming marathons are a distant memory and cannot really justify a monthly subscription game anymore. Shame as it was kinda cool.

Valor

ok, this is a helpful tool. just the thing I needed thx

Edit: This is what I have equipped

http://ffxiv.ariyala.com/TWBW

You definitely want to get some lore pieces. Being fully outfitted in 220 gear is perplexing as hell unless you've been feeding lore to another class. Go get the 230 head piece since you can afford to drop some accuracy and you'll pick up more main stat. You could probably also upgrade to the 230 Lore pants as well. You'll trade 70 crit for 71 det, but you pick up 10 points of strength and more vit, so in the end they're strictly better even if you melded 24 crit into the 220 pants. It's like unmelded lore pants versus 220 with two crit 5's, the lore pants are still like +1 main stat.

You definitely want to get some lore pieces. Being fully outfitted in 220 gear is perplexing as hell unless you've been feeding lore to another class. Go get the 230 head piece since you can afford to drop some accuracy and you'll pick up more main stat. You could probably also upgrade to the 230 Lore pants as well. You'll trade 70 crit for 71 det, but you pick up 10 points of strength and more vit, so in the end they're strictly better even if you melded 24 crit into the 220 pants. It's like unmelded lore pants versus 220 with two crit 5's, the lore pants are still like +1 main stat.

ok, made some changes

http://ffxiv.ariyala.com/TWJ8

Ken

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/4f273bcf59598c181bb5d87c21652393de021704

The date has been set for the twenty-ninth installment of the Letter from the Producer LIVE! Broadcasting at Niconico Chokaigi 2016 in Chiba, the live stream will feature the first half of a two-part special previewing patch 3.3 and an appearance by a special guest.
Date & Time
Friday, April 29, 2016 at 12:00 a.m. (PDT)

* Please note the time stated above was rescheduled from its original time slot one hour earlier.
* The change in schedule has also affected other stage events. Please refer to the Niconico Choukaigi Special Site for details.

Themes
Patch 3.3 Preview Part 1
Take a peek at the various challenges coming in Patch 3.3.

Special Guest
Akihiro Hino, the president and CEO of the Japanese video game developer Level-5, will be stopping by to talk with Yoshi-P and share his love for FINAL FANTASY XIV.

Miscellaneous Announcements

So an ad popped up in my Facebook feed about The Feast. Seems interesting. Is it worth subbing again for?

I unsubbed after 3.1 and wouldn't mind an excuse to come back and play something fun even if it's not the MSQ.

Squishy3

So an ad popped up in my Facebook feed about The Feast. Seems interesting. Is it worth subbing again for?

I unsubbed after 3.1 and wouldn't mind an excuse to come back and play something fun even if it's not the MSQ.
Depends if you like XIV PVP or not. You missed the free login campaign, though. Think it just ended. 3.2's MSQ is really strong and Sephirot (both versions) are pretty good, although you might have some trouble learning EX at this point.

Also yay, actual earlyish live letter. I'm still up around that time anyway.

Reszo

Eww I starting fishing for the ixal dailies , how does anyone do this. It's not so much the waiting but it combined with the fact that I caught 14 crayfish before I got the fish I needed plus I ran out of bait lol

Ken

1) Do you like XIV's small-scale PvP (not Frontlines)
2) Can you deal with 12 year-old teammates
3) Can you deal with new 60s horribly undergeared on your team
4) Can you deal with players new to Feast/PvP on your team when you're trying to win a promo series
5) Are you sure you want to deal with 12 year-old teammates

If you say no to either of these then stay away!

Feast is actually one of the more well-designed modes added to the game recently. The only downside is having to actually win games with all those people you hate getting in expert dungeons but stuck with cause you couldn't fail those dungeons no matter how bad people were 95% of the time.

dramatis

Eww I starting fishing for the ixal dailies , how does anyone do this. It's not so much the waiting but it combined with the fact that I caught 14 crayfish before I got the fish I needed plus I ran out of bait lol
Use floating minnow lure instead.

iammeiam

I'm pretty sure at this point exclamation points are only used sarcastically re:3.3. Nobody expects it to deliver anything meaningful outside the established odd patch template.

Squishy3

Well, we're supposed to be getting Hildibrand every patch now, at least. The 3.3 MSQ should be more along the lines of 3.2 anyway considering it's supposed to be the end of the Heavensward storyline. I doubt something like that would be as short as the 3.1 MSQ was.

I'm just curious to see if at any point we're going to be getting a new Square Visual Works CG like for the end of T12. Maybe as the culmination of the Warring Triad storyline. (as that'd probably warrant it more than Alexander.) WTB short cutscene of the Warring Triad fighting to defend their homelands from the Allagan scum.

Ken

i saw that not transparent residentsleeper

you don't care about any patch content if it doesn't facilitate more lewdness anyway. maybe there'll be more dialogue with that chick who likes a good rogaedicking

i found a transparent one but it's 400x400 which is too big

i don't even know what female character you're speaking of

Squishy3

i found a transparent one but it's 400x400 which is too big

i don't even know what female character you're speaking of
she's in the rising stones, she's getting married to Ocher Boulder. It's just random flavor text. In 3.2 she's shown musing about sleeping with both Hoary Boulder and Ocher Boulder while her sister realizes that she was sleeping with Ocher Boulder in the same tent as her.

Not the one from 3.2, but http://imgur.com/a/X92Sm/layout/horizontal#0

Valor

I'm pretty sure at this point exclamation points are only used sarcastically re:3.3. Nobody expects it to deliver anything meaningful outside the established odd patch template.
Zurvan!

Also of note, people actually pay attention to things concerning male roe characters in the storyline? Huh.

Squishy3

Zurvan!

Also of note, people actually pay attention to things concerning male roe characters in the storyline? Huh.
I only notice it because a lot of the changing dialogue between patches is fairly interesting if short. Same thing with the NPCs standing around during story quests giving some context to events or things like Krile and Y'shtola having a line of thought in regards to finding Minfilia after you finished the 3.1 storyline.

After finishing 2.55 as well I noticed a NPC in The Rising Stones were saying that Yda and Papalymo were rumored to have escaped with the help of Ala Mhigan refugees.

There's a decent amount of foreshadowing in some of that stuff.

Ken

she's in the rising stones, she's getting married to Ocher Boulder. It's just random flavor text. In 3.2 she's shown musing about sleeping with both Hoary Boulder and Ocher Boulder while her sister realizes that she was sleeping with Ocher Boulder in the same tent as her.

Not the one from 3.2, but http://imgur.com/a/X92Sm/layout/horizontal#0

i've seen enough aura x lala and elvaan x mithra pairings to not be bothered by this

Raijinken

If you need to learn how to talk to a lady, ask your mum.

RaijinkenCaelum04_21_201618_10_04.png

RaijinkenCaelum04_21_201618_11_20.png

Jayhawk

Hmm. YoshiP's panel at PAX east will be streamed at noon eastern on Saturday. I wonder if I can spot our static's Bard and other players from Ultros in any crowd shots.

Gala

Hello! I started playing Final Fantasy 14 recently and completed the A Realm Reborn questline today. Right now I'm getting bombarded with a lot of quests and stuff and I feel a little bit overwhelmed.
Can you guys give me any advice what to do next? I got my level 50 Scholar gear before I completed the story already and I'm on my way to unlock the hard modes for dungeons right now. Should I continue with the story directly or is there any other stuff I should definitely do before that?

dramatis

Hello! I started playing Final Fantasy 14 recently and completed the A Realm Reborn questline today. Right now I'm getting bombarded with a lot of quests and stuff and I feel a little bit overwhelmed.
Can you guys give me any advice what to do next? I got my level 50 Scholar gear before I completed the story already and I'm on my way to unlock the hard modes for dungeons right now. Should I continue with the story directly or is there any other stuff I should definitely do before that?
Just keep chugging along. Main story quests will always have the Meteor Quest marker, so you don't have to worry that you might be doing some random stuff you need to do.

The patch dungeons and hard modes will help you earn Poetics tomes which will get you better gear in Mor Dhona.

If you feel like taking a break from bashing enemies you can try crafting/gathering maybe.

Top Bottom