• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Squishy3

I started playing FF XI last night. After about 5 hours of trying to figure stuff out like actually setting up a new account because it still had my 10-year-old account preserved, but I totally forgot the login info. Then I had to mess with a lot of configuration settings and get the Xbox 360 controller support working. Then I could finally play...

Yea, I think I regret this decision. Maybe if I had a LS with people in it to help me it might be different. I could only find one server with the name Korra open, Siren, and I think that's a JP server maybe? So I might have to start over anyway on another server if there's a LS that's active. I just want to experience the MSQ if possible, but yea, trying to play this game after 10 year is...brutal.
Play Online is truly the hardest MMO content ever created

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
If I decide to no-life Alex for a bit during stage 3 of anima weapon grind, what ilvl should I go in as PLD? Just want to make sure I'm suitably geared so that I don't have a sea of i230 DPS ripping bosses off of me constantly. (Currently i190 and will be close to 200 in a few days)

If I decide to no-life Alex for a bit during stage 3 of anima weapon grind, what ilvl should I go in as PLD? Just want to make sure I'm suitably geared so that I don't have a sea of i230 DPS ripping bosses off of me constantly. (Currently i190 and will be close to 200 in a few days)
190 should be more than enough for Gordias nm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgVSxbCgTh4

I need to learn Japanese. The more testimonials I hear from people who raid via only PF on JP servers, the more I want to try it. It sounds exactly what I'm looking for out of raiding in this game. No static, no schedule, PFs usually running every day for people at various phases of fights so you can just jump in. And people don't usually lie and try to fake it till you make it to ruin things, they join the appropriate PF for their progression.

Really speaks to the issue of NA/EU vs JP. NA/EU community built for world first progression with the FC system they have setup (raid FCs). Success all front loaded, community suffers over time, player base complains about PF quality. JP community is built for long term success and stability, PF quality remains consistent throughout the patch cycle. NA/EU Static/Group mentality becomes dispensable after the goal is achieved, you see those people become raid loggers and don't care much about improving the community. JP mentality is to have even people who have cleared all turns (or an individual turn) to continuously participate in or create PFs for progression to keep people in circles of people they can run with and improve, no matter if you want to run 1 day a week and not make much progress, or run 5 days a week and try to clear each turn in a few weeks max.

I really wish there was an English speaking server equivalent of this, or at least a JP server that's more English friendly like this (Tonberry doesn't seem to follow this JP community structure, but it's definitely very active).

"These freaks, are they Japanese!?!?" - JP community commenting on Lucrezia. They also apparently don't have a good reputation in the JP community. They're too "NA".

iammeiam

I think there's a difference in general player attitude between NA and JP that complicates things. It's not just static structure I think, it's also that Ultros at least has a fairly limited pool of people not in statics actively interested in working to clear relevant raid content. Not that they're nonexistent, but that you need the majority of the people in PF to be people invested in the PF process, and I don't think Ultros at least has the bodies for it. It is interesting to note that both guests on the podcasts were in statics on their JP servers, and the general attitude seemed to be that the NA approach to statics was probably stronger from a static perspective. It is fascinating that their PF strats on day one will last until the next tier.

Then they hit the Golden Saucer talk, and we can update the list! People Who Do Not Care About Lord of Verminion:

- NA
- EU
- JP

Maybe earlier I'd be happy to help people clear stuff but by now, I've kinda done everything I want to do in game, almost everything is at 60 and at this point, the main thing to do is cap lore, raid and not much else. I put my time and effort into helping the community but by now, I just don't want to bother.

BadRNG

Maybe earlier I'd be happy to help people clear stuff but by now, I've kinda done everything I want to do in game, almost everything is at 60 and at this point, the main thing to do is cap lore, raid and not much else. I put my time and effort into helping the community but by now, I just don't want to bother.
"helping the community" almost overwhelmingly means "carrying the community" on the NA side at this point too, which not only doesn't help the community (arguably it hurts it) it also is basically what people expect now. It's not fun playing with people who not only don't carry their weight, but seem to put zero effort into even trying to.

I don't really like the "raiders just don't care about the community here" angle, that stuff goes both ways, the community itself would need to care too.

"helping the community" almost overwhelmingly means "carrying the community" on the NA side at this point too, which not only doesn't help the community (arguably it hurts it) it also is basically what people expect now. It's not fun playing with people who not only don't carry their weight, but seem to put zero effort into even trying to.

I don't really like the "raiders just don't care about the community here" angle, that stuff goes both ways, the community itself would need to care too.

Yes, that too. I have done a lot of carrying...maybe too much carrying. Maybe I should have encouraged people to put more time into learning the fight but that's in the past. I'm not gonna carry folks now. It's okay if you got carried but went back and put in the time and effort where you can do it in your sleep now, I'm fine with that but getting carried and continue to want it? Nah

Izayoi

Banned
As much as I love this game, the community and its attitude toward beginners is absolute shit.

This is especially true at higher levels, just chock full of unhelpful, abrasive dildos.

RPGCrazied

As much as I love this game, the community and its attitude toward beginners is absolute shit.

This is especially true at higher levels, just chock full of unhelpful, abrasive dildos.

Really? I've had nothing but the opposite in this game, unlike WoW. Now that is a game with a bad community.

RPGCrazied

I'd agree it's better than WoW in random people's attitudes, but that still leads a lot of room for improvement!

Yeah. Trade chat alone is bad in WoW. I don't see that kind of talk in FF XIV. I will say the gil seller spam though is pretty annoying, I wish there was a way to block it.

EDIT:

In 2 days is my one year anniversary playing! Can't wait to get that chocobo barding, looks awesome.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member

What server are you on? Ultros, more specifically the GAF FC, has been very helpful.

Jayhawk

Any Ultros folks interested in a casual PvP night where we each queue up in a different language solo for unranked matches? This allows people who aren't interested in ranked matches to get some exposure to The Feast with familiar people. I would use the opportunity to practice AST and others.

Valor

Any Ultros folks interested in a casual PvP night where we each queue up in a different language solo for unranked matches? This allows people who aren't interested in ranked matches to get some exposure to The Feast with familiar people. I would use the opportunity to practice AST and others.

I am responding to your pvp post as requested.

this has ended poorly before

Thorgal

Premium stuffed Moogles?

Good lord, now we are killing,skinning and stuffing the poor things?

What more atrocities will we still commit in the name of house deco?

Where will it end.

I want two for My room.

ThinFinn

So I requested a commission of Emma and it turned out amazing! Just wanted to share it with y'all.

oVazJMe.jpg

Here's his deviantart page if anyone's interested in grabbing one too!

creid

I started playing FF XI last night. After about 5 hours of trying to figure stuff out like actually setting up a new account because it still had my 10-year-old account preserved, but I totally forgot the login info. Then I had to mess with a lot of configuration settings and get the Xbox 360 controller support working. Then I could finally play...

Yea, I think I regret this decision. Maybe if I had a LS with people in it to help me it might be different. I could only find one server with the name Korra open, Siren, and I think that's a JP server maybe? So I might have to start over anyway on another server if there's a LS that's active. I just want to experience the MSQ if possible, but yea, trying to play this game after 10 year is...brutal.
There's a handful of gaffers on Sylph: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1137902

Robin64

Now I've hit 60 on my Dragoon, I feel like I have way too many buttons to press (or that I can press). My single target rotation alone currently fills up 9 buttons on my controller hotbar. The combo stuff could easily be consolidated into one button per combo, with the ability changing as you go. The next expansion can't just add more buttons, that would be horrible.

Sorian

Banned
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/8a8ad47cc811cc4853ca442bdd4d996d12b39d5b

• Cid's Attire: Head Engineer's Goggles / Head Engineer's Attire
  • Garlond Ironworks Attire: Ironworks Engineer's Goggles / Ironworks Engineer's Doublet / Ironworks Engineer's Gloves / Ironworks Engineer's Slops / Ironworks Engineer's Boots
  • Miniature Dreadwyrm
  • Premium Stuffed Moogle
  • Emerald Carbuncle Lamp
  • Topaz Carbuncle Lamp
  • Ruby Carbuncle Lamp

I'll start buying things on the cash shop when they stop showing us gear on lalafells.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
So I requested a commission of Emma and it turned out amazing! Just wanted to share it with y'all.

Here's his deviantart page if anyone's interested in grabbing one too!

That's cool. I may have to get one myself. What is his turn around time?

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/8a8ad47cc811cc4853ca442bdd4d996d12b39d5b

• Garlond Ironworks Attire: Ironworks Engineer's Goggles / Ironworks Engineer's Doublet / Ironworks Engineer's Gloves / Ironworks Engineer's Slops / Ironworks Engineer's Boots
  • Miniature Dreadwyrm
  • Premium Stuffed Moogle
  • Emerald Carbuncle Lamp
  • Topaz Carbuncle Lamp
  • Ruby Carbuncle Lamp

Housing items were neat. Then I saw the price...

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Playing an alt and tanking early dungeons is interesting. DPS always targeting two different enemies, healer getting hate for healing you, running out of MP or TP, but it all works out in the end. Must be an ordeal for those who roll as a tank with no prior experience.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
$15 for that Bahamut statue... ( ゚∀゚)アハハ八八ノヽノヽノヽノ \ / \/ \

WolvenOne

So apparently they're working on an App that would let you access your retainer, talk to people in game, and access the market board from your phone. That might honestly get me back into the market game a bit. I actually enjoyed that, but it was time consuming and kinda forced me to log in and do less while I checked what was selling, went around gathering materials, etc. Something that'd let me take care of some of those steps while I'm out and about would be helpful, in that regard.

Lesee.

Phantasy Star Online ii armor, neat.

More Moogle Quests in 3.3, Yoshida assures people they won't be as bad as the hidden moogle quests from the MSQ.

More Hildibrand

Yoshida won't rule out flying in 3.0 areas someday, again.

Doomtrain likely to be somewhere in the Garlean empire.

More Final Fantasy characters will be making cameo's in the future, apparently.

Okay, that's all the interesting stuff I saw in the Siliconera article, I guess.

Jayhawk

So apparently they're working on an App that would let you access your retainer, talk to people in game, and access the market board from your phone. That might honestly get me back into the market game a bit. I actually enjoyed that, but it was time consuming and kinda forced me to log in and do less while I checked what was selling, went around gathering materials, etc. Something that'd let me take care of some of those steps while I'm out and about would be helpful, in that regard.

Lesee.

Phantasy Star Online ii armor, neat.

More Moogle Quests in 3.3, Yoshida assures people they won't be as bad as the hidden moogle quests from the MSQ.

More Hildibrand

Yoshida won't rule out flying in 3.0 areas someday, again.

Doomtrain likely to be somewhere in the Garlean empire.

More Final Fantasy characters will be making cameo's in the future, apparently.

Okay, that's all the interesting stuff I saw in the Siliconera article, I guess.

You made it sound like there was new information in the Siliconera article, but they just recapped the PAX East panel. RIP

• Miniature Dreadwyrm
  • Premium Stuffed Moogle
  • Emerald Carbuncle Lamp
  • Topaz Carbuncle Lamp
  • Ruby Carbuncle Lamp

Regarding Cid's gear: No dyeable, no buy-able.

Top Bottom