• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Redx508

Hello! I started playing Final Fantasy 14 recently and completed the A Realm Reborn questline today. Right now I'm getting bombarded with a lot of quests and stuff and I feel a little bit overwhelmed.
Can you guys give me any advice what to do next? I got my level 50 Scholar gear before I completed the story already and I'm on my way to unlock the hard modes for dungeons right now. Should I continue with the story directly or is there any other stuff I should definitely do before that?

This may help you

Guide:progression and Level Locked Content

Guide:Heavensward Progression and Level Locked Content

Guide to Catching up to Patch 3.0 (Heavensward)

From reddit, more LOLDRG tales...

vNTasi.png

DarkKyo

I met Yoshi-P today and he autographed my Heavensward art book!! Super nice guy. Can't wait to line up super early for the panel tomorrow morning. Anyone else going?

Palace of the Dead looks like to combine Salvage and Nyzul Isle components together. Should be fun!

I was doing CT while that was going on, did they say anything about rewards?

WolvenOne

Okay, Palace of the Dead sounds REALLY interesting. I don't really care about BiS too much, so long as it ends up being more challenging than basic dungeons or whatnot, but not as time consuming as raiding.

Again, want to get back into raiding someday, but I'm kinda past the point where I'm willing to sink all my free time into it.

Apoptomon

We Via Infinito now? (I have no idea what Nyzl Isle is). Anyone know if the XIV team have anything else interesting to say at the panel or are they probably saving that for the next live letter?

aceface

They did say it was casual content though and it has its own lv progression system. Probably best not to expect BiS type rewards from it.

They said 4-player was casual, solo mode is hardcore with player rankings by job.

Also get your FFXI references out of here, deep dungeon is FFT all the way. Give me this music Soken. Give it to me!!!

Jayhawk

They said 4-player was casual, solo mode is hardcore with player rankings by job.

Also get your FFXI references out of here, deep dungeon is FFT all the way. Give me this music Soken. Give it to me!!!

I didn't know FFT supported 4 player content. Where can I find this 4-player version? I need to find something to do with this new retirement from PvP now that I'm silver ranked. Gold rank will require too many matches.

Thinking of picking this up once finals are over. How active is GAF guild?

It's active enough to answer any questions you have and things as there is always a dozen+ people on at any time.

But if your starting fresh, 90% of your time will be playing solo as you do the campaign so don't take guild activity as something that might put you off.

Valor

I didn't know FFT supported 4 player content. Where can I find this 4-player version? I need to find something to do with this new retirement from PvP now that I'm silver ranked. Gold rank will require too many matches.

Just means you have more time for our NHL static.

Thinking of picking this up once finals are over. How active is GAF guild?

It's more than active enough as we enter the mid-patch lull. There are still people hanging around and running content occasionally. Activity will likely pick up a bit next week after the Live Letter if anything of note is shown off. Zurvan hype please be excited.

aceface

Way more than 4, look at all these players!

What, you're telling me your FFXIV party members don't obey your every command? I think you need to improve your tactical skills.

Robin64

Finished the 3.0 story today. That final dungeon and then trial were awesome!

And then
THE MOON?! WARRIOR OF DARKNESS?! ALEXANDER?!

Game loves dropping bombs.

Question. I am in trial mode right now because I didn't realize that you cant immediately convert to full product (need 1 day). I am getting spiritbonded to loot I get while fighting. But it doesn't show up in my inventory (or the armor inventory either). What am I doing wrong? Or is this a limitation of trial mode? Thanks.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Finished the first step of anima weapon the other day. It was a relief that the drops weren't as obnoxiously slow as atma in ARR. Almost done step two, then I'll slow down while going through the third step. Kinda quaint doing those dungeons in part two, as I've not been to many of them in ages. I just hope when new steps are introduced it doesn't involve FATE camping.

aceface

Question. I am in trial mode right now because I didn't realize that you cant immediately convert to full product (need 1 day). I am getting spiritbonded to loot I get while fighting. But it doesn't show up in my inventory (or the armor inventory either). What am I doing wrong? Or is this a limitation of trial mode? Thanks.

If it's spiritbonding you, it's equipped? Pretty sure equipped gear doesn't show up in any inventory, but it will be right there in character menu.

If it's spiritbonding you, it's equipped? Pretty sure equipped gear doesn't show up in any inventory, but it will be right there in character menu.

Nope. Doesn't show up in armor chest or anything. Simply doesnt exist.

Edit: I am an idiot. So little is happening in my log that is me binding items.

Nope. Doesn't show up in armor chest or anything. Simply doesnt exist.

Edit: I am an idiot. So little is happening in my log that is me binding items.

Yeah. All that means is as soon as you kill something while wearing tradable loot, it simply locks it too you making it unsellable to players.

Actual spirit bonding is you getting that meter to 100% and then using convert to destroy that gear and get materia from it.

Yeah. All that means is as soon as you kill something while wearing tradable loot, it simply locks it too you making it unsellable to players.

Actual spirit bonding is you getting that meter to 100% and then using convert to destroy that gear and get materia from it.

Okay, 2nd part is past me. Should I not be selling my crappy gear as I level? Or is spirit bonding something to do late game? Ugh, I am kind of mad they dont allow you convert trial account immediately.

Okay, 2nd part is past me. Should I not be selling my crappy gear as I level? Or is spirit bonding something to do late game? Ugh, I am kind of mad they dont allow you convert trial account immediately.

It really doesn't matter. The materia you get (RNG on the type which effects value) for such low level gear isn't that valuable. When your leveling, you will be changing gear so often it's unlikely you will get many fully spiritbonded items to convert regardless unless you are really unlucky in dungeons. But doing the MQ, you are probably even more flooded with gear.

Don't stress about it.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Started leveling crafting classes.

I thought my bag space was hurting with just 4 level 60 battle/healing classes. Throw in all these crafting classes and it's a complete mess now :/

Robin64

Just hit 60 and instantly got a 180 weapon with Clan Seals. Apparently getting a 200 one soon won't be much harder either. Is it even worth bothering with the Anima grind in this case?

Just hit 60 and instantly got a 180 weapon with Clan Seals. Apparently getting a 200 one soon won't be much harder either. Is it even worth bothering with the Anima grind in this case?

You can upgrade the weapon to 210 with a drop from Void Ark.

To get to 230, you have two options:

#1 Grind Alexander - The Burden of the Son (A8) for eight weeks
#2 Grind the Anima weapon quest chain

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
You can upgrade the weapon to 210 with a drop from Void Ark.

Eight weeks, unless you no-life the Anima weapon, is probably the faster option.

iammeiam

This makes Anima look almost reasonable and cuts out one of the ioptions. Seven weeks, not eight, for Midan Gears and it's one encounter a week and then you move on. Contrast with a day or two grinding crystals for i170 anima, 11 dungeons for i200 anima, a ton of grinding (especially if you don't have beast tribes maxed going in) for a few weeks for i210 anima, and then either five weeks of CT runs or further tome grinding for i230 anima--it makes the most sense to just do your five weeks of CT concurrent with grinding out the i210 step.

Either way the weapon is probably a month and a half out; there's the old fall back of "if you're not raiding, you don't need it", which is actually kind of relevant here because if you are raiding then you get the Seph i220 weapon and go kill A6S for the tomestone and shortest path to i230. Relic might get you i240 sooner, but i240 time weapon whenever it actually hits will almost certainly be much less hassle.

The only real reason to do relic is to do relic; the minmax option for some jobs is nice,the effort invested means you have to value having a relic just for having a relic.

This makes Anima look almost reasonable and cuts out one of the ioptions. Seven weeks, not eight, for Midan Gears and it's one encounter a week and then you move on. Contrast with a day or two grinding crystals for i170 anima, 11 dungeons for i200 anima, a ton of grinding (especially if you don't have beast tribes maxed going in) for a few weeks for i210 anima, and then either five weeks of CT runs or further tome grinding for i230 anima--it makes the most sense to just do your five weeks of CT concurrent with grinding out the i210 step.
That is how I'm doing mine. 66/80 items and 4/4 sets on stage 3. 3/5 stage 4. I might finish by this weekend. Not bad for a casual scrub.

I want to wager the next step might involve light farming again. At the same time making old content even more relevant.

I started playing FF XI last night. After about 5 hours of trying to figure stuff out like actually setting up a new account because it still had my 10-year-old account preserved, but I totally forgot the login info. Then I had to mess with a lot of configuration settings and get the Xbox 360 controller support working. Then I could finally play...

Yea, I think I regret this decision. Maybe if I had a LS with people in it to help me it might be different. I could only find one server with the name Korra open, Siren, and I think that's a JP server maybe? So I might have to start over anyway on another server if there's a LS that's active. I just want to experience the MSQ if possible, but yea, trying to play this game after 10 year is...brutal.

Jayhawk

I started playing FF XI last night. After about 5 hours of trying to figure stuff out like actually setting up a new account because it still had my 10-year-old account preserved, but I totally forgot the login info. Then I had to mess with a lot of configuration settings and get the Xbox 360 controller support working. Then I could finally play...

Yea, I think I regret this decision. Maybe if I had a LS with people in it to help me it might be different. I could only find one server with the name Korra open, Siren, and I think that's a JP server maybe? So I might have to start over anyway on another server if there's a LS that's active. I just want to experience the MSQ if possible, but yea, trying to play this game after 10 year is...brutal.

No such thing as a "JP server" in FFXI. All FFXI servers are in Japan, and all servers have a combination of players from around the world. It is very common to be doing things with Japanese players, European players, and North American players in the same alliance. Without people to help get you through all the limit break quests and giving you advice, you're not going to be achieving much. You're also better off getting a bunch of the third-party applications working to improve the QoL.

Top Bottom