• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Piety for more Clemecies, and Spell Speed to make them faster. Damage reduction from Fire Beam, Crashing Thunder, and Ice Missile. Clearly this is his A6S chest.

These are actually smart melds for specific duties. Like... that AST that solo healed sephirot ex was buffed with earth resistant materia and such. It is smart, but totally optional.

aceface

Now a few questions from Akihiro Hino, the president and CEO of the Japanese video game developer Level-5!

Hino: I really want a cross world party finder. Can you make this happen? I want to challenge Savage with people I know from other Worlds.

Yoshida: I would really like to make this happen.

Hino: Well, you're the producer...you can't just say you want to do it!

Yoshida: Alright, we'll find a way to make it happen! It will be tricky since you'd want to chat beforehand and discuss strategies, drops, and such. I think we can make it happen for Patch 3.5 based on the work that would need to be done for it. We're currently creating lobbies for cross-world Triple Triad and other Gold Saucer games to make them more accessible.

Yes Yoshi, make sure you get those cross-world Gold Saucer games set up first... >.>

I swear Yoshi is a compulsive gambler, he's the only person on earth who cares about gold saucer games.

So relic/anima is going to have a light grinding style stage, but instead of light it's points?... and RNG based?

Hope there's not going to be moments where you get like "0" points, or worse, few in a row then suddenly you get "0.3" out of nowhere.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Got excited when I saw a Yokai Watch book only to realize it was the SCH book and that the SMN book isn't as good.

The suffering continues.

iammeiam

These are actually smart melds for specific duties. Like... that AST that solo healed sephirot ex was buffed with earth resistant materia and such. It is smart, but totally optional.

Just in case you're taking me seriously: the amount of resist you'd need to stack to move the needle at all would make it not worth it over basically every other option. i220 crafted does mean you could pentameld resist without sacrificing iLevel (until people started buying lore pieces), but it doesn't really make sense to do it for Seph EX given that by the time you're full i220, the damage taken is much less of an issue and you'd get more out of pretty much every other secondary.

I swear Yoshi is a compulsive gambler, he's the only person on earth who cares about gold saucer games.

YOU WILL VERMINION AND YOU WILL LIKE IT.

Got excited when I saw a Yokai Watch book only to realize it was the SCH book and that the SMN book isn't as good.

The suffering continues.

Like you wouldn't immediately go for the BLM staff anyway.

Thorgal

Out of curiosity, when they mean cross server, do they mean only across servers from each datacenter or do they mean across all 3 regions?

aceface

This level 5 guy is the hero we need.

A Savage/endgame content question from Hino

Hino: I want a flow that's similar to Bahamut from the 2.x series where you enter a raid and don't know what you're fighting initially. Over time, you uncover the story as you clear it once you've overcome the challenge.

Yoshida: The problem is that if we have the highest level content for the very select few who can defeat it... We also have to invest all the story into it, which isn't ideal for such a select few either.

Hino: Since Savage is really hard, I almost want a special cutscene specifically for it as a reward. Well, how about making the equipment for Savage look completely different?

Yoshida: We'll really need to look into this carefully.

A housing-related comment from Hino.

Hino: No one comes to my house. I would really like something similar to the Animal Crossing series where if someone visits my place, they can obtain special fruits, or something like that.

Yoshida: Adding something like that would have to be balanced. If there's too much motivation to do this, people will feel they need that they must take part. If there's not enough motivation, then it could end up feeling a bit weak.

Getting the cutscenes was a big motivation for me to do Coil. At the end I felt like I was so invested in the story I had to complete it. Also, he's right that no one goes into houses. The front yard (or summoning bell) is really the house. Yoshi's non answers are amusing.

Thorgal

At first I was going to say that the book glamour from yokai watch looked a bit lame..is but then I thought, it's a book.

Like we can have big and small staves swords fist gloves etc.. In all colors shapes and sizes with or without spikes.

But how can you change a book except changing what's on the cover?

Like, a book with spikes attached would look very silly.

rubius01

A: Now that you mention it, though, when Gaius first lands in Vylbrand, the voiced guy does say Othard. It stuck in my head because in another language he says he’s from Rabanastre.

KF: Guess where Rabanastre iiis! <laughs> There&#8217;s also a line in the Japanese version where they name-drop Dalmasss&#8212;<throat clearing> It&#8217;s not in English, but that&#8217;s where it is and maybe someday we&#8217;ll be seeing some of <heavy throat clearing>. But yes, that land bridge connects directly to Ilsabard. You cannot get to Othard from there without going through Ilsabard. So there&#8217;s the land bridge and it goes into Islabard <emphatic hand gestures>.

This is Koji Fox being interviewed.
http://gamerescape.com/2016/04/28/lorecast-7-get-to-the-chowder/

Valor

The library is a strange and wonderful place.

d50857b766.png

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Yeah these location namedrops have been in the game since 2.0, it's the cutscene where Gaius and the tribuni first arrive in Eorzea and a scion spy is executed by Nero. Of course for some reason all of those references were wiped clean, but we can't be very well questioning the wisdom of Koji.

creid

Yeah these location namedrops have been in the game since 2.0, it's the cutscene where Gaius and the tribuni first arrive in Eorzea and a scion spy is executed by Nero. Of course for some reason all of those references were wiped clean, but we can't be very well questioning the wisdom of Koji.
"Well you see in the Garlean Empire words are outlawed, so they have to use as few words as possible"

Village

Hey I want to do dark knight stuff because it looks rad as shit. However upon looking up guides , it seems super complicated. Any dark knights around here can offer me some guidance?

Allard

looking a bit further into the new frontline map, I am not sure whether I am happy or sad they are bringing Eastern Coerthas Lowlands back as a PvP map (at least the area near camp Glory). Feels like a missed opportunity for future expansion but maybe it will be isolated enough they can add something proper for that zone later, guess they could also use it for story content down the line like they did with Cartenau in the SMN storyline.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
looking a bit further into the new frontline map, I am not sure whether I am happy or sad they are bringing Eastern Coerthas Lowlands back as a PvP map (at least the area near camp Glory). Feels like a missed opportunity for future expansion but maybe it will be isolated enough they can add something proper for that zone later, guess they could also use it for story content down the line like they did with Cartenau in the SMN storyline.

Interesting. I remember seeing Soken posting a Cubase screenshot on his twitter with a filename Coerthas_Eastern or somesuch.

Hey I want to do dark knight stuff because it looks rad as shit. However upon looking up guides , it seems super complicated. Any dark knights around here can offer me some guidance?

Have you started levelling it yet or are you just thinking of picking it up?
If the latter: just go for it, it's pretty simple to start with. Early on it's pretty similar to PLD, except that you get your tank stance straight away, making it even easier.

Village

Have you started levelling it yet or are you just thinking of picking it up?
If the latter: just go for it, it's pretty simple to start with. Early on it's pretty similar to PLD, except that you get your tank stance straight away, making it even easier.
I litterally just started doing it.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Coerthas East and West Shroud are probably only coming back as frontlines maps or dungeons- it's just hard to think of an expansion that would justify 'go back to the areas lost from 1.0' after we got the Ishgarde one.

(We already had Cata, it was 2.0)

rocK`

Banned
Sorry to ask - but what is the best parser online now? I'm returning after a hiatus and want to see what my BRD is putting out.

I litterally just started doing it.

Well, here's some level 30ish basics and tips, assuming you've got some familiarity with the other two tanks:
- Grit is your tank stance. Its effects are similar to Shield Oath: more defence, more enmity, less damage output. It costs MP to turn on and is free to turn off.
- Darkside is your being-a-dark-knight stance which gives your damage a 15% buff at the cost of gradually draining your MP and is required to use some of your skills later on. Keep it on. You can have this and Grit on at the same time. The MP drain isn't as fast as your natural MP regen, unless you are in combat (so you can turn it off if there's several seconds of downtime to save MP, for example during a lengthy transition).
- Blood Weapon increases your attack speed and makes your physical attacks restore MP (set amount, not related to damage done). You can't use it if you have Grit up. This becomes more useful later on.
- Hard Slash -> Spinning Slash -> Hard Slash is your aggro combo. Hard Slash -> Syphon Strike is the first stage of your two DPS combos (finishing with Souleater (lv38) or Delirium (lv50)) and does not give you additional enmity, but does give you back MP. From level 50, you'll typically Hard Slash once (or twice if you need) and then primarily use Syphon Strike combos, but when you're in the 30 range, think of it as your MP combo. Your aggro combo is your most damaging combo until you get Dark Arts. (From strongest to weakest in terms of combo potency: Dark Arts Souleater > Delirium > Power Slash > Normal Souleater)
- Scourge is a strong DOT which you should keep up if it'll have time to tick.
- Put Low Blow and Reprisal both in easy to reach places. Parrying an attack lets you use Reprisal for a short window, and at 36, you get a trait that can reset the cooldown on Low Blow when you parry.
- Do your level 35 quest as soon as you can, as it unlocks Blood Price, which is the skill that allows you to recover MP each time you get hit. Make sure you have this up when you're spamming Unleash. It has a short cooldown, so don't be afraid to keep it up if you're getting continually hit by something.
- Dump the crappy sword Frey gave you and pick up a better one from your Grand Company. They added DRK gear to the GC vendor.

Allard

So we going to Ivalice? Ascians from Ivalice confirmed. Considering their names.

To be honest, not sure what to make of that section, to me it seemed like Koji wanted to explain something but knew he couldn't, but at the same time wanted to say right out it wasn't exactly what we thought it was. Like we might be getting a FFXIV 'version' of some of those areas much like Garlemald is basically the empire from FFVI without saying it out right, or how the Crystal Tower raid is almost exactly like the end area of FFIII but the story is changed enough to fit the world as we have it now. It might also explain why the "Witch of Dalmasca" was removed precisely because for the lore of the game it isn't Ivalice, but that there might be regions or cities that might take the names as homages and just like this interview people are taking the idea the wrong way. There is definitely some shenanigans relating to Ivalice lore all throughout the game (ascians specifically with the Zodiac motif and the signs on the masks etc.), but to me it is not much different then the magitek armor for garlemald, students of baldesion being an allusion to FFV, or the crystal tower sequence. Hydaelyn and the story around it is a literal melting pot of concepts and ideas taking from all Final Fantasy games but they are not technically any of those worlds or stories. To me what this means is sometime in the future we might get an Ivalice themed expansion or story that takes elements from FFXII/Tactics but do not actually exist in the same universe/planet as those games.

BadRNG

Doesn't WoW have like 50x the subscribers that FFXIV has?
Get outta here with your facts!

(not 50x anymore but its still up there. The last reported sub numbers were more than the total accounts even made on for XIV. That's definitely changed by now but gives you an idea of how lopsided the sub numbers likely are in WoW's favor )

reported.

creid

Get outta here with your facts!

(not 50x anymore but its still up there. The last reported sub numbers were more than the total accounts even made on for XIV. That's definitely changed by now but gives you an idea of how lopsided the sub numbers likely are in WoW's favor )
I was under the impression XIV had 100-200kish subscribers, and I figured WoW was down to 5 millionish?

Zomba13

The stuff about Ivalice I'm willing to bet that it's areas in the next expansion, in Ala Mhigo. Like instead of Central Shroud or Dravanian Hinterlands it's like Dalmasca Estersands or Rabanastre. Or locations based on those areas.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not seeing them going that far- a few references is fine, but they've hardly been consistent with the FFXII stuff already in- Belial being an egi, Cuchulainn being a voidsent, etc.

BadRNG

I was under the impression XIV had 100-200kish subscribers, and I figured WoW was down to 5 millionish?
It's really hard to say, FFXIV never gives active sub numbers and I believe WoW stopped reporting recently (so many assume they dipped below 5m at last). But yes whatever the exact number is, WoW is definitely well in the lead.

It's actually ridiculous how popular WoW still is. Any other MMO would be doing naked cartwheels through their offices in joy at their numbers.

Top Bottom