• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

So when's this glamour coming then?

ff12_art9.jpg

Apoptomon

Balthier may be the "leading man" and all, but based on other crossovers I'd think that XII's hypothetical representative would probably be be Vaan.

creid

About now I'd say 200k, yeah. Hitting maybe 500k during a major patch week?
IIRC a few years ago they said that worldwide, FFXIV + XI + DQX = almost 500k subs. I figured DQ and XI were a pretty small part of that, and I assume XIV subs have gone down since then (though that's just a guess.)

Man, after like 3-4 weeks straight, my server actually managed to kill coeurlregina in time twice today. I got my spotted spencer and I think it makes a nice sch glamour, personally. Too bad gear is shared so I'll have to deal with having it on my ast as well. Ah well ;_; Now I just need the hat.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/4h42xp/other_tidbits_and_info_from_nico_nico_choukaigi/

The next Savage may be easier than previous, after Thancred's seiyuu Yuuichi Nakamura commented how the current tier felt like there aren't any differences from the previous tier. (Yoshida specifically mentions he wanted the next raid to be cleared within a week). EDIT: Yoshida MIGHT also be looking into further nerfing Midas Savage as well.

Armchair raiders on Yokai^W suicide watch

ThinFinn

I have no issues with NIN buffs. Bring them on. Especially AOE, I'd rather just not bother aoeing as a ninja, it's sad times.

Unsure what to think of easier raids but I'm not sure the game can really support super tough raids in general.

"Ninja's AoE is confirmed to be buffed. Along with Bard as well."

:O

"At the same time, he wanted the boss form change target to be fixed. Yoshida explained that when the boss changes form, the boss that changed form is considered to be another separated individual boss hence the current setting. He'll be looking into this."

Omg, this bothers me SO much!

They never should have nerfed Ninja AOEs to begin with! At least they will be more useful now.

iammeiam

It would be easier to take Thancred's VA seriously if he weren't saying he felt like this tier was no different than last tier. u wot.

scy

Feel like this is going to just end up with "still too hard" and a neverending spiral down on difficulty and design.

Sorian

Banned
Feel like this is going to just end up with "still too hard" and a neverending spiral down on difficulty and design.

That's a possibility but if they do that for another iteration or two then they are eventually going to get a faceroll raid and face a lot of backlash in the other direction. They are at the sweet spot right now imo, we'll see how they play the next one.

Valor

Been trying this new ammo opener from aiurily and man. These machinist openers are really difficult to teach your hands. Especially re-teaching muscle memory.

scy

That's a possibility but if they do that for another iteration or two then they are eventually going to get a faceroll raid and face a lot of backlash in the other direction. They are at the sweet spot right now imo, we'll see how they play the next one.

It's more to me that we're basically at the point of are they going towards raid content you expect to take time to learn over the course of the patch vs it exists as a loot source for the course of the patch.

Guess we'll see if it sticks with MMO design or MMO-lite (or whatever I'm supposed to call things like Destiny) design. Feel like either way we need "more content" to support whatever route they go. More midcore things for the former, more generic timesinks for the latter.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
It's more to me that we're basically at the point of are they going towards raid content you expect to take time to learn over the course of the patch vs it exists as a loot source for the course of the patch.

Guess we'll see if it sticks with MMO design or MMO-lite (or whatever I'm supposed to call things like Destiny) design. Feel like either way we need "more content" to support whatever route they go. More midcore things for the former, more generic timesinks for the latter.

We guild wars now

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
They want more people to clear the content they spend time creating. I see nothing wrong with that.

I wonder what the clear rate is on A8S so far. On Ultros it's only one group which is in line with last tier at this same point in time, really.

Valor

things like Destiny

Please no. One of those is more than enough in my life.

I do feel they need more midcore battle content and I am hoping against hope that Deep Dungeon scratches that particular itch. The idea of a game within the game of leveling and gear progress really makes me excited, and hopefully with less of a lockout system than weeklies and stuff it can hopefully be fun mid-tier content that you can do with a pickup group who feel like running it. More things like that and Diadem and less Verminion nonsense.

iammeiam

The problem is there's no real understanding on either side of what they want things to be. People ask for mechanics focus over DPS. They do that. People complain mechanics are too hard. Swap out Goblin junk for Allagan junk and Midas is pretty much a coil tier.

A lot of it is the relative question of longevity of content--people not having cleared A8S yet doesn't mean they can't/won't well in advance on 3.4. We have tons of time. Is the game really better off if people start raid logging once a week a month into a six month patch cycle? Is it really the worst if people get a slightly longer tail out of progression?

"Make it easier! Make it like coil!" are just sort of non-answers to the problem of what to do with the raid; the discussion needs more nuance than ever seems to occur. Do we end up with a tier that has 3 fights like A5S and one fight like pre-nerf 6? That'd be easier, but much less satisfying.

I will absolutely lose my shit if they nerf 7 before we kill it, though.

I actually stopped playing destiny because friends invited me to Final Fantasy XIV last May. Destiny also had very low content. At least FFXIV has a ton to do but it depends how much you grind yourself out, honestly.

scy

We guild wars now

I legitimately have zero idea of what Guild Wars is like these days.

Please no. One of those is more than enough in my life.

It really does feel like the kind of thing people want whenever the subject comes up? Primary gating in the content is getting the bodies to do it but clearing it is almost an expectation per weekly lockout. That most the time in the content cycle is spent elsewhere, this is just where you get the gear to use in the everything else you do.

I do feel they need more midcore battle content and I am hoping against hope that Deep Dungeon scratches that particular itch. The idea of a game within the game of leveling and gear progress really makes me excited, and hopefully with less of a lockout system than weeklies and stuff it can hopefully be fun mid-tier content that you can do with a pickup group who feel like running it. More things like that and Diadem and less Verminion nonsense.

I'm not really sure I'd classify Diadem as anything but "casual" content but otherwise I can sort of agree? I'm not really sure what to expect from Deep Dungeon so far short of "do it because you want something to do" kind of content. Which is fine and the game sort of needs a thing you just ... do. But the whole up front "it's casual and easy!" and "outside gearing has no impact!" makes me think it won't really work out that way.

On the other hand, maybe somewhere along the way "midcore" or midlevel content came to mean something else entirely.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I wouldn't even be mad if they nerfed A7S tomorrow despite seeing multiple 1-3% wipes this week.

The nerfs in A6S weren't the doom and gloom people were crying about either aside from Blaster.

iammeiam

I wouldn't even be mad if they nerfed A7S tomorrow despite seeing multiple 1-3% wipes this week.

The nerfs in A6S weren't the doom and gloom people were crying about either aside from Blaster.

They made Blaster braindead and basically tacked 30 seconds on to enrage. It's less doom and gloom in and of itself and more a bad precedent that they're already threatening to follow up on. Nerfing 6 when and how they did wasn't bad just because they nerfed 6, but because it indicated they might just blindly nerfbat future floors if people yell loud enough.

My problem is the nerfs don't address specific pain points, it's literally just making things easier so people stop complaining. 30 seconds off the already lenient A6S enrage? Random Midan Gunner HP nerf that still makes no sense? Making 2-stacking Compressed Water technically possible? Aside from the Blaster change (which has led to "why are there even still tank mines, they do nothing now"), these didn't address actual specific issues. There's no direction behind it and no change in design philosophy that can play out in future fight design. Every wipe in 7 I feel like we've deserved, and I'm annoyed at the idea of them essentially dumbing down the fight in response to generic "TOO HARD" complaints.

7 isn't badly designed. It's not broken. Making it easier just to make it easier continues the impression that nobody involved knows what they're doing at this point.

Even with the nerfs A6S isn't faceroll easy so tears are unwarranted.

Speaking of A6S, while I love nin, I kinda prefer mnk for that fight. Dealing with adds in the second boss is a bit easier when you have two stuns on hand to slow them down instead of one.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
They made Blaster braindead and basically tacked 30 seconds on to enrage. It's less doom and gloom in and of itself and more a bad precedent that they're already threatening to follow up on. Nerfing 6 when and how they did wasn't bad just because they nerfed 6, but because it indicated they might just blindly nerfbat future floors if people yell loud enough.

My problem is the nerfs don't address specific pain points, it's literally just making things easier so people stop complaining. 30 seconds off the already lenient A6S enrage? Random Midan Gunner HP nerf that still makes no sense? Making 2-stacking Compressed Water technically possible? Aside from the Blaster change (which has led to "why are there even still tank mines, they do nothing now"), these didn't address actual specific issues. There's no direction behind it and no change in design philosophy that can play out in future fight design. Every wipe in 7 I feel like we've deserved, and I'm annoyed at the idea of them essentially dumbing down the fight in response to generic "TOO HARD" complaints.

7 isn't badly designed. It's not broken. Making it easier just to make it easier continues the impression that nobody involved knows what they're doing at this point.

The gunner nerf was pointless sure but the other stuff was mostly for healers which is most definitely addressing a specific issue - damage was really high in there and now it's a little more forgiving but you can still wipe just as easy as we found out this week.

Top Bottom