• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Thorgal

Monk FTW .

ffxiv_dx112016-05-132ppuge.jpg

Lagamorph

How is the game on PS4 lately?
Have they fixed the problem of armour sets being stored client side rather than server side yet? Until that's fixed I just can't even consider trying to play on PS4 again. It makes gear/jobs virtually unmanageable.

Omni

Have they fixed the problem of armour sets being stored client side rather than server side yet? Until that's fixed I just can't even consider trying to play on PS4 again. It makes gear/jobs virtually unmanageable.

What do you mean?

Thorgal

what are you talking about ?

Lagamorph

Changing armour sets, so changing your job etc, the sets you create never carried over between the PC and PS4 versions of the game, they seemed to be getting stored on the client rather than the server.
This meant that if you changed a piece of equipment and updated your gear set on one version then it didn't carry over to the other. If you then got rid of the old piece of equipment, it meant your gear set on the other version became broke/incomplete.

For just one or two pieces of gear this isn't too bad. But if you had an extended play session and changed multiple pieces of equipment across multiple sets/jobs then it became a management nightmare.

This seems to have been done by design (for some reason) but as far as I'm concerned it's a problem that needs to be fixed for easy cross-platform play to be viable.

What do you mean?

what are you talking about ?

I think they're talking about saving equipment sets

I think the official statement was that sets are staying client-side, since the servers save every few seconds, and that would be too much server load for the servers to handle saving all the information at the frequency it does (and Yoshida has stated he does not want to make the save frequency longer than it is)

So it is still client-side and that probably won't change anytime soon

Lagamorph

I think they're talking about saving equipment sets

I think the official statement was that sets are staying client-side, since the servers save every few seconds, and that would be too much server load for the servers to handle saving all the information at the frequency it does (and Yoshida has stated he does not want to make the save frequency longer than it is)

So it is still client-side and that probably won't change anytime soon
Damn.
Guess I'll just have to stick entirely to PC then. It's a shame really since I enjoyed playing on the PS4 now and again, but if I played for more than 30-40 minutes then I was changing gear all over the place whilst levelling classes and it meant going back to the other version I'd end up spending an hour just rebuilding equipment sets before I could even play.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Damn.
Guess I'll just have to stick entirely to PC then. It's a shame really since I enjoyed playing on the PS4 now and again, but if I played for more than 30-40 minutes then I was changing gear all over the place whilst levelling classes and it meant going back to the other version I'd end up spending an hour just rebuilding equipment sets before I could even play.

As someone that plays both versions I find this super annoying too.

Robin64

Not just the sets but the action bars too.

Dunno if the PS4 one has it, but the PC launcher has the option to back these things up to a file for importing on a fresh install later. I guess there's no way to use this file on the PS4?

Thorgal

So if I am a complete noob and want to play this on PS4 what do I buy!?

do you mean in terms of the game or accessories ?

gamewise you can either just buy vanilla which will keep you occupied for a long time or you can buy the game + expansion right now .

accessories wise all i can recommend is a keyboard for chat , but that's optional .

do you mean in terms of the game or accessories ?

gamewise you can either just buy vanilla which will keep you occupied for a long time or you can buy the game + expansion right now .

accessories wise all i can recommend is a keyboard for chat , but that's optional .

Yeah game wise. So the 19.99 version on PSN is what I need?

Thorgal

Yeah game wise. So the 19.99 version on PSN is what I need?

if that's the vanilla version ( aka "A realm reborn ") then yes .

my recommendation would be to buy vanilla now play through the 2.0 story and if you want more after that buy Heavensward then .

Ether that or buy both at once during a sale like i did .

the choice is yours .

any more q's feel free to ask .

kvk1

Then for the HQ crafted items. Only paid I think 600 k for it because some nice guy helped me out and he wasn't an arsehole charging me an arm and leg. It feels great when you have it done. My friend has two hyperconductive animas and all classes at 60 though lol

Yeah, I'm good on the HQ items front. I gathered everything my FC crafters need except for the Diadem stuff (because fuck Diadem) and those I just bought from the board.

I know some people working on their 3rd or 4th relics, and I just can't process how they're staying sane in such a grind.

iammeiam

I gathered everything my FC crafters need except for the Diadem stuff (because fuck Diadem) and those I just bought from the board.

I spent three and a half hours queued for Diadem easy today trying to get in so I could fish up some Retribution Staff because the hell with paying 25k per fish for food. At no point in time did the queue even half fill.

So IAWT fuck Diadem. I'll just keep mainlining Pipira, it's fine.

Meanwhile i'm only about halfway done with the Unidentifiable items for my relic (the relic is when i started to drop off the game, slowly returning to the game now)

Dammit, i'm starting to get second thoughts on switching servers, even though i desperately want to switch immediately. I want an active FC but i don't want to completely leave the few people i like behind.

If i were to create an alt with the same name on my old server after switching my main character, will people who are friends with my character automatically be friends with that one too, since the alt will have the same name?

iammeiam

So this is kind of interesting.

Specifically this piece:
As prohibiting the use of third-party tools can lead some to confusion (”Are chat programs prohibited?” “What falls within the definition of “third-party tool?”), I should state that our policy is to not place excessive restrictions on our players; we simply do not want you to use devices or software which are in violation of the terms of service.

However, we do not condone the use of tools which provide an advantage in PvP by obtaining information, such as player position and buff/debuff status, by parsing packet data and utilizing it in the manner described above. Therefore, to discourage the use of such tools, we are considering using a different encryption protocol for PvP packets.

We understand that even should we change encryption protocols with every patch, third-party developers will continue to update their tools. Nevertheless, by using separate protocols for PvP and PvE, and by frequently updating protocols, we hope to prevent the use of these tools during a season. We are currently carefully evaluating the feasibility of this approach—how often we might need to update encryption protocols, as well as what precise methods we might employ. While it may be some time before we are able to implement any changes, we ask for your understanding and patience.

Making it clear that while they may take steps to break packet parsing in PVP, they're going to do so in a way that doesn't interfere with PVE tools at all/basic reassurance that ACT will continue to be just fine.

Congratulations! But I regret to inform you you're still a bard so....

just kidding. your association with Galen is why you can never be cool, not the bard thing.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
So I'm at the point with leveling DRK where I've got Dark Arts unlocked, and was wondering when the best times to use it would be. It looks pretty situational, so I've been either using it before Soul Eater for a bit more self-healing, or prior to Power Slash to bonk things harder. Can't see myself going too overboard with the ability lest I go OOM regularly. Blood Price and Syphon Strike help with the mana generation at least. Is it basically an ability to use from time to time to boost certain abilities, or can it eventually be used with a fair bit of regularity in my rotation?

Omni

It should run it fine provided you're not aiming for super high resolutions.
Thanks!

So I'm at the point with leveling DRK where I've got Dark Arts unlocked, and was wondering when the best times to use it would be. It looks pretty situational, so I've been either using it before Soul Eater for a bit more self-healing, or prior to Power Slash to bonk things harder. Can't see myself going too overboard with the ability lest I go OOM regularly. Blood Price and Syphon Strike help with the mana generation at least. Is it basically an ability to use from time to time to boost certain abilities, or can it eventually be used with a fair bit of regularity in my rotation?
If you're OT, you can go crazy with it. Use it constantly as a Dark Arts Souleater is your hardest hitting attack. As a main tank though, I tend to use it every second combo or so. So after you've built your hate with your initial enmity combo, go DA Souleater combo > Delirium combo > DA Souleater combo... etc. In my opinion the benefit of a DA power slash isn't worth the MP cost.

Trick with DRK is to know how much MP you can use in certain circumstances without crippling yourself.

Dark Arts should be used whenever you have MP to spare. If you're above 50% MP and Dark Passenger is on cooldown you have no reason not to use it.

Prioritize Carve and Spit > Soul Eater > Dark Passenger for normal situations. DA Dark Mind is also great when you're about to eat heavy magic damage. Don't waste your MP on DA Power Slash or DA Dark Dance.

Thorgal

i am always curious whether or not it is literally Yoshi p making these forum posts or a translator translating and typing on the forum for him .

i've never heard the guy directly speak English so i wouldn't know .

Top Bottom