• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Ohhh, yeah you might want a keyboard then.

Or just go with #YOLO strats

Sophia

Well I was thinking in terms of communicating with people, especially since I'm a tank and will probably have to figure out who mains and who gets adds.

Any USB or Bluetooth keyboard should work for that. I have a cheap Microsoft keyboard that plugs in wirelessly by USB, and it works fine.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Finally hit 50 yesterday woohoo! It occurred to me that I'm probably going to need a keyboard to do endgame stuff (I play on PS4) - anyone have any experience using a keyboard on PS4? Would love some recommendations.

Don't worry, you'll get a keyboard then everyone will tell you to get on Teamspeak.

Sifl

There's nothing more annoying then being told you don't know how to tank by random healers in the df (especially when you've done it 100's of times without any issues) to deflect from the fact that they don't know how to heal.

Finally hit 50 yesterday woohoo! It occurred to me that I'm probably going to need a keyboard to do endgame stuff (I play on PS4) - anyone have any experience using a keyboard on PS4? Would love some recommendations.

I use an Apple wireless keyboard with my PS4. It's expensive and it hurts like a motherfucker when you drop it on your toe.

Leunam

I use a mini keyboard by Anker that I got on Amazon for $15. Bluetooth, no dongle, works flawlessly.

aceface

I use a mini keyboard by Anker that I got on Amazon for $15. Bluetooth, no dongle, works flawlessly.

I got that one too, it usually works but sometimes gives me some trouble where the batteries come loose or something and it disconnects and it can be a pain to get it to reconnect. I just figure it's what you get for $15.

There's nothing more annoying then being told you don't know how to tank by random healers in the df (especially when you've done it 100's of times without any issues) to deflect from the fact that they don't know how to heal.

As a relatively new Warrior at endgame, I get this a lot also and I find I am doing just fine. I'm confident in tanking now but I still get people that get mad. One person the other night in a anti tower run kept telling me what to do and I died on the 2nd boss because he wasn't healing me, lol. It was very funny because he was a rude dick just nitpicking everything. When I pulled big, he would just scream COOLDOWNS. NO SHITE sherlock. Since I play a female elf, he also said different kinds of sexist things such as females should not be gaming and stuff like that. lol.... what a complete arse though. I just kept taunting him with "mad cause bad" I also let him tank the last boss and he got pissed off. haha so I eventually just pulled it myself.

Gh0stie5

Neo Member
Hmm... I've leveled SMN to 60 and raised everything to 30 to unlock jobs. Now the long proccess of picking a job to get to 60 next...

Tempted to go BLM...

Also: Long time lurker and thought I'd post here ;)

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Hmm... I've leveled SMN to 60 and raised everything to 30 to unlock jobs. Now the long proccess of picking a job to get to 60 next...

Tempted to go BLM...

Also: Long time lurker and thought I'd post here ;)
Do it

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Is there anything I can do as DRK to better reduce incoming damage? Finding the class noticeably squishier than PLD. I rotate my CDs steadily, but on a percentile basis they're still behind PLD in terms of damage reduction. Are DRKs meant to take a bit more damage on the physical side of things? (The magic damage reductions are pretty snazzy). Generally it isn't an issue, but I do see my HP go down faster than when running as PLD when I do massive pulls and blow through my CDs. I guess I could use Living Dead on those, but I'm not sure I want to trust random healers to get me shipshape again after popping that.

Is there anything I can do as DRK to better reduce incoming damage? Finding the class noticeably squishier than PLD. I rotate my CDs steadily, but on a percentile basis they're still behind PLD in terms of damage reduction. Are DRKs meant to take a bit more damage on the physical side of things? (The magic damage reductions are pretty snazzy). Generally it isn't an issue, but I do see my HP go down faster than when running as PLD when I do massive pulls and blow through my CDs. I guess I could use Living Dead on those, but I'm not sure I want to trust random healers to get me shipshape again after popping that.
DRK is sort of a drain tank, you take more damage but you can heal yourself. It's the price you pay for putting out more damage in tank stance than other tanks.

There's also reprisal to help survive stuff, though that's RNG.

Valor

Dark Dance is really good to use to mitigate incoming physical mob damage, but it's parry and thus is moderately unreliable. Soul Eater combos in single target with Abyssal Drains in groups often give you a bit more sustainability and more effective health. Leeching health is pretty important, I feel, to help Dark Knight from feeling too squishy. Obviously for physical damage there is again Dark Dance/Foresight/Shadowskin/Reprisal to help the mitigation, plus Dark Arts + Dark Passenger to get a bit of blind up for, in theory, more physical "mitigation".

I don't feel you take more damage as a Dark Knight, but your Vit pool is smaller than Warrior or Paladin, which I suppose can equate to taking more damage.

If you have excess MP and want to have a laugh, Dark Arts + Dark Dance and Dark Arts + Dark Passenger.

So many dodges

My one gripe though is that DRK has poor skill synergy. It's my favorite, but you have skills that make it harder for you to get hit, while having other skills that require you to get hit.

I am still jealous of Warrior's DPS combo being the exact same as their aggro combo. With DRK you have to choose whether you need more aggro or if you are safe to DPS and regain MP.

If you have excess MP and want to have a laugh, Dark Arts + Dark Dance and Dark Arts + Dark Passenger.

So many dodges

My one gripe though is that DRK has poor skill synergy. It's my favorite, but you have skills that make it harder for you to get hit, while having other skills that require you to get hit.

I think that's a little overstated - in particular, I think people usually consider this in the context of Blood Price, but DADP/DADD's effect fits in pretty neatly during the period that Blood Price has worn off and is on cooldown. I think the idea was to start a large pull as an HP/MP-drinking sea-urchin-spamming edgelord and then switch to dodgelord while you wait for Blood Price to come back up/mop up. (My problem with DADP/DADD is that its effect doesn't really feel comparable to the MP cost.)

BadRNG

DRK is sort of a drain tank, you take more damage but you can heal yourself. It's the price you pay for putting out more damage in tank stance than other tanks.
DRK self heals are pretty garbage, they are there but not really a real focus of the job, nor strong enough to really compensate for much. Generally they don't even cover autos for actual hard hitting things, and if it's not hitting hard then why are you in Grit sort of thing.

Really there's no solution, if you are using cooldowns and such thats about all you can do. You'll never have the mitigation of a PLD or the self sustain of a WAR, DRK is stuck somewhere in between for better or worse. You'll just get used to it? With how FFXIV's "meta" works, the extra mitgation is not strictly needed for most stuff. It's just how much you can push dps wise without being stupid, and DRK's CDs tend to time well with majority of fights.

I hope DRK gets some changes to go along the parry rework in 3.5. The job works fine but boy some of these design choices make it seem rushed and unfinished.

Please don't ever use Dark Arts on Dark Dance in a serious manner thinking that it's doing something beneficial.

Oh i know it's not practical, it's still funny to see enemies not be able to hit you

DRK isn't exactly an evade tank, which is why the decision for evasion confuses me

Squishy3

A Dunban-like tank would be pretty cool actually. Maybe they could do that for the next expansion.
I love dodge tanks. The only thing is in FFXIV it'd just essentially mean that their CDs would be "increase dodge chance by x%" and maybe a OGCD ability that procs on dodge and inflicts a blind that works on bosses.

Since actual debuffs other than DoTs, Virus and E4E and the occasional stun/silence to interrupt an ability clearly have no place in XIV.

BadRNG

I'd love some DRK changes; a refined use as OT as well as some more DA-empowered skills. It's a waste that the unique mechanic is used in the same way in 99% of cases, there's a ton of potential there just sitting on the table. Building the job around smart use of MP for a bunch of different buffs/debuffs would be far more interesting than it just being mindless soul eater spam that it ends up being in majority of situations.

As for evasion tank; they'd have to basically rethink how they balance fights in regards to tanks to make an evade tank work. If you let them dodge tank busters it would break many fights, and if you don't then they are near worthless.
like dark dance outside of trash mobs
. Nearly every tanky scenario is built around specific predictable burst parts. It's why they stopped letting you dodge busters after the initial HM primals(dodging table flip still coolest thing ever), why they removed Perfect Dodge, butchered Mana Wall, etc. They are really against low CD "avoid all damage" skills because of how easily it can trivialize a part of some fights.

ThinFinn

She couldn't resist the catgirl life any longer.

Still waiting on Galen's Bishie Catboy to make an appearance.

It's really not nice to point out people's grotesque physical deformities. At least I get some satisfaction out of every death now.

Hey, I think your cat looks great!

Hey I get on during EU times too

I'm basically EU myself!

The people on during EU times: Tiduz, Kirito, Myra, Scy & Emma.

:(

Tiops

I am still jealous of Warrior's DPS combo being the exact same as their aggro combo. With DRK you have to choose whether you need more aggro or if you are safe to DPS and regain MP.

They absolutely need to fix this shit for DRK and PLD. It's a pretty big balance issue that shouldn't exist. It's fucking terrible to tank shit in Sword Oath just after swapping with a WAR, as he'll get the aggro back in no time.

This and the lack od AoE skills for PLD is the thing that bothers me the most currently. WAR is just objectively better.

A Dunban-like tank would be pretty cool actually. Maybe they could do that for the next expansion.

That would never happen. Ninja got turned into a dodge tank by the players in FFXI and it caused Square-Enix all kinds of headaches. (Of course, Ninja itself caused all sorts of headaches, but that's another story...)

Tiops

There are so many things wrong with this sentence...

What exactly? You Provoke the boss (in Shield Oath), do one enmity rotation then get back to Sword Oath and proceed to use DPS rotations. The WAR gets the aggro back after a while, as he keeps using his aggro rotation for DPS and PLD/DRK don't.

ebil

At least Savage Blade is part of your Royal Authority combo. Most of the time it's going to be more than enough to maintain a good hate lead with the enmity boost it received + Shield Swipe procs when applicable.

A good WAR usually doesn't do Butcher Block after Butcher Block, they'll want to keep Maim / Storm's Eye up, and sometimes need to apply Storm's Path as well when they don't need to grab adds or whatever. There are very few dangerous situations where the PLD will be tanking in SwO for a very long time without anything else or tank swaps happening.

We actually have more issues with out WAR losing hate to a Circle of Scorn or Goring tick after swapping but that often is because he doesn't like to pay attention.

Tiops

At least Savage Blade is part of your Royal Authority combo. Most of the time it's going to be more than enough to maintain a good hate lead with the enmity boost it received + Shield Swipe procs when applicable.

A good WAR usually doesn't do Butcher Block after Butcher Block, they'll want to keep Maim / Storm's Eye up, and sometimes need to apply Storm's Path as well when they don't need to grab adds or whatever. There are very few dangerous situations where the PLD will be tanking in SwO for a very long time without anything else or tank swaps happening.

We actually have more issues with out WAR losing hate to a Circle of Scorn or Goring tick after swapping but that often is because he doesn't like to pay attention.

Yes, most of the time there won't be a problem, but it's still a pretty big advantage having your DPS combo being also your aggro combo. Power Slash is pretty much useless for DRK when he's DPSing, and while RoH has the STR debuff, it's still a problem. The issue I have is that there's no reason for one specific tank having this advantage to the others.

I was doing A5S last week and the WAR got the aggro back from me during one of the Shock Therapy spams. I did the Halone combo in ShO and switched to SwO, and at the last Shock Therapy I lost the aggro. Maybe I did something wrong, but it wouldn't happen if Royal Authority gave me aggro too.

ebil

Oh, I don't disagree. I actually think having your DPS combo being your enmity combo is pretty meh design for a number of reasons but I wouldn't like them to add an enmity multiplier on Royal Authority or Soul Eater to fix this.

It's very clear that they designed Butcher's Block in a world where PLD kept spamming Rage of Halone all day and they never went back and thought about the implications when they added Goring/Authority and DRK. In hindsight, it feels like WAR's solid design was a happy accident.

Tiops

Oh, I don't disagree. I actually think having your DPS combo being your enmity combo is pretty meh design for a number of reasons but I wouldn't like them to add an enmity multiplier on Royal Authority or Soul Eater to fix this.

It's very clear that they designed Butcher's Block in a world where PLD kept spamming Rage of Halone all day and they never went back and thought about the implications when they added Goring/Authority and DRK. In hindsight, it feels like WAR's solid design was a happy accident.

Yeah, I'd prefer if WAR had a DPS and Enmity combos as the other classes, but I don't think they'll ever change that.

pKf28dL.jpg

They absolutely need to fix this shit for DRK and PLD. It's a pretty big balance issue that shouldn't exist. It's fucking terrible to tank shit in Sword Oath just after swapping with a WAR, as he'll get the aggro back in no time.

This and the lack od AoE skills for PLD is the thing that bothers me the most currently. WAR is just objectively better.

I think it's fine because of how WAR was structured. If anything, it's a bit obvious how any additional tanks have to compete with the original tanks, because any additions have to be thought by "how do we balance this with what we already have" instead of "how do we balance these 3 tanks together"

Yeah, WAR seems to have just happened to work out. Best DPS and survive-ability compared to other tanks. I'd rather another tank to be similar to WAR's rotations, where aggro and DPS combo is the same and add more effects on the alternate 2 combos

Valor

I was doing A5S last week and the WAR got the aggro back from me during one of the Shock Therapy spams. I did the Halone combo in ShO and switched to SwO, and at the last Shock Therapy I lost the aggro. Maybe I did something wrong, but it wouldn't happen if Royal Authority gave me aggro too.
ebil basically explained my issues originally, but if you're doing, for example

Fast > Savage > Shield Oath > Voke > Halone > Sword Oath, then you're not generating a lot of enmity there versus doing Fast > Shield Oats > Savage > Halone > Fast > Savage > Sword Oats > Royal Authority.

That being said, Warrior should be likely dropping Path for A5S during Shock Therapy spam, so that's an additional facet.

You should try lalafell again.
I never had any luck as a potato.

Jayhawk

Have your Ninja use Shadewalker and Smoke Screen on the right people and the Paladin doesn't have to go to Shield Oath as often. Also, combining Shield Oath with Fight or Flight is a waste if you can survive with Sword Oath.

And doesn't Paladin combo stop if you use an Oath or did they change that? What kind of combo is Galen coming up with?

BadRNG

Oh right, it was a recent change... but it's still bad practice and bad math to stance dance that often since you lose out on a GCD. The damage buff to Shield Oath changes the math a bit, but dropping Shield Oath for a few GCDs is better DPS than switching back and forth. If you can use Sword Oath for several GCDs, then swap.
Pretty sure he wasn't suggesting a regular combo/dance fest, it was specifically for switches where (presumably) you'll be in SwO for awhile after that. The switching is basically just for establishing threat then going back to DPS. In his scenario you don't even have Shield Oath at first.

Jayhawk

Pretty sure he wasn't suggesting a regular combo/dance fest, it was specifically for switches where (presumably) you'll be in SwO for awhile after that. The switching is basically just for establishing threat then going back to DPS. In his scenario you don't even have Shield Oath at first.

For the A5S tank swap where the PLD is presumably grabbing the boss back and the WAR is preparing for an add to grab, I suppose the oath swapping is nice if the WAR is in Defiance for some reason or is using Butcher's Block instead of Storm's Eye as his last combo before peeling off. I would prefer yelling at the WAR for not refreshing Storm's Eye before leaving the boss to pick up an add in this scenario, instead of having a PLD lose GCDs from oath swaps!

Ketsen

Natasha trying to make my job more complicated than 123, clearly a sign I need to just go back to Ragnarok Online or something instead.

Jayhawk

Natasha trying to make my job more complicated than 123, clearly a sign I need to just go back to Ragnarok Online or something instead.

124! 124! Shadewalker will save us. 1000 dps PLD, go!

Looking back at Tiops' scenario, the WAR stealing hate back during shock therapy spams shouldn't be an issue if he's picking up the chimera add or the big add during the pig phase. The tank swaps happen before adds pop. The WAR is using a combo or two on the add. If he's managing to catch you in hate, I am guessing your group's strategy has the PLD using GCDs on the chimera, while the WAR is using GCDs on the boss. Of course the WAR is going to catch up on enmity in that scenario.

Top Bottom