• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

you mean the lore tomes? the void ark gear could never be upgraded. the upgrade items are for the lore tomestone gear.

You will if you want to reach the ilvl cap. Lore stuff can be upgraded, Void Ark stuff nah
Well I'm close to having all my ilvl 230 lore gear now, need like 4 pieces. Is upgrading done through more lore or some other alternative?

I'm just sick of having to do dailies in addition to anima when I'd like to get my alt classes leveled.

Ken

Well I'm close to having all my ilvl 230 lore gear now, need like 4 pieces. Is upgrading done through more lore or some other alternative?

I'm just sick of having to do dailies in addition to anima when I'd like to get my alt classes leveled.

you just take the upgrade item and the unupgraded gear and trade them in

Valor

Pretty sure after tonight I have seen more Monk drops than Machinist drops. Head/Hands/Feet all at once D: Had to buy that machinist face with tokens.

I think the game is trying to tell me something.

Thorgal

Pretty sure after tonight I have seen more Monk drops than Machinist drops. Head/Hands/Feet all at once D: Had to buy that machinist face with tokens.

Join us.

Punching things is so much fun. (until you run out of Tp )

JP20160520_03.jpg

No! I must resist the urge to Lala!

Mr Nash

square pies = communism

Never fear, once you switch to monk it'll rain ninja drops instead.

iammeiam

Live letter digest touches on Deep Dungeon difficulty:

Keep in mind, however, that the deep dungeon was designed with a group of four players in mind, so the fights can prove pretty tough if you enter alone. With that said, the dungeons were designed to be a little easier than normal dungeons, so you'll have room to experiment with group composition and challenge the dungeon in various ways.

That answers that, then. Solo challenge mode not being balanced around the job entering is unsurprising but kind of a bummer, but I am surprised by the bolded outright pegging it as sub-Antitower difficulty.

I had the most buttmad kid (blm) on this lost city HM run for ex roulette. I never ever in the history of this game witnessed somebody so mad. He was controlling, bitchy, and just downright idiotic. Here is how it all went down: Everything is fine until midway when we reach the lion. A dps forgets to dps the orb and we wipe. He accused me of not hitting the orb when I WAS HITTING it. Here is where it gets even better! 2nd time around we actually finish the boss and once we get down to the pots, he told me "hey I can tell you are new at tanking so I'm gonna try to forgive you" What the fuck? We get to the final boss and he says "watch me dps this bitch down to the ground with my op gear" I jokingly said "ok hun" Next, he says GET THE BOSS OUT OF THE FUCKING circle! You're tanking her wrong. Ok, chill dude, this isn't a4s. He then said to me again get he rout of the circle. What circle? I never had a problem with this boss because it is baby play, let's be honest. Then now is where it becomes good. He tells me "you fucking suck at tanking and I'm trying to help you but you tell me to shut up, fuck you I'm just standing still because I cant watch scrub play without getting sick" ISSUES. So, he stood there the whole boss. It took an age to kill him because we were down one blm dps. Then he makes more smart arse comments like "you can't even clear a1s at this rate" Ur a scrub and I'm a legacy palyer that didn't start a month ago. LMAO, I started a year ago. He then says my gear sucks. I tell him this isn't my main. I'm a 228 AST, and he's like LOL SCRUB ANYONE CAN GET LORE GEAR BITCH. Clear midas savage before you talk shite bitch. Lol, this kid had so many issues. I swear... this was the world record of buttmad. Only on FFXIV this happens ;_;

I saved the logs for hilarity.

Village

No! I must resist the urge to Lala!

As cute as that is, au ra have built in horns so, i'm going to stay as giant horned glowy-eyed blackman.

That is cute though.I wish they did more of a weird takes on the pomp though, I would pay ... obscene amounts of money for the ability to have C.Viper's hair in all games.

Sophia

Good. The GMs do not fuck around with behavior like that, and for some people an official reprimand is the only way they learn to act like a human being, or at least calm down a little.

For a lot of people like that, all it takes is one realization that there are repercussions for acting like a jerk, and they stop immediately. It's always good to report them for that reason.

Valor

Live letter digest touches on Deep Dungeon difficulty:

That answers that, then. Solo challenge mode not being balanced around the job entering is unsurprising but kind of a bummer, but I am surprised by the bolded outright pegging it as sub-Antitower difficulty.

Bleh. easier than dungeons is approaching true faceroll territory. I wonder how soloable the dungeon will end up being. Do you think the difficulty may rise as you descend deeper into the dungeon?

For a lot of people like that, all it takes is one realization that there are repercussions for acting like a jerk, and they stop immediately. It's always good to report them for that reason.

There aren't any chances for someone like that though. He meant everything he said. People tried to calm him down and he didn't budge. He took the game too seriously because nobody just stops standing still to waste time for people.

I think the worst i have gotten was a Monk in Neverreap when it was still new to me, who wanted me to pull big when i wasn't comfortable with the dungeon yet and had low ilvl gear. They bitched about it at first then stopped after the healer told them to stop bitching.

Then at the end they say "i know why you didn't want to pull big, you're a shit tank who can't hold aggro" (paraphrased, their grammar was too atrocious to repeat) for 2 trash mobs that i lost aggro for all of 2 seconds

Bleh. easier than dungeons is approaching true faceroll territory. I wonder how soloable the dungeon will end up being. Do you think the difficulty may rise as you descend deeper into the dungeon?

That's pretty much the point of the deep dungeons, gets harder and harder

Valor

That's pretty much the point of the deep dungeons, gets harder and harder

That's why I question the difficulty answer given above. Sure, it could -start- that way, but will it -finish- that way? If not, then why basically lie to your population saying it's easier than dungeons while ramping up difficulty? There are weapons at the end that if you obtain them you can use them outside of the dungeon, so those will be the real prizes. If difficulty ramps up to, let's say, something akin to Seph EX level of dungeon that people will struggle with, they'll go back to these words of "easier than current dungeons" and feel lied to. Meanwhile, if the hardest they ever get is "easier than current dungeons" then what is the lasting appeal of this content? If there's no challenge in a piece of content that, to me, screams "hey, this will be something to hopefully sate the mid-core (for a time)" then I question who its intended audience is.

tl;dr

If this is supposed to me mid-core content that is to fill a gap between Midas NM and Midas Savage levels, then why is it being billed as something akin to faceroll? If this isn't mid-core content, then who is this for and will we ever see such a piece of content that slots in around the EX level of difficulty that has lasting appeal?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Was it ever specifically mentioned that these dungeons were supposed to be mid-core type stuff? I'm going with the assumption that it's for everyone (aka exdr-tier).

That's why I question the difficulty answer given above. Sure, it could -start- that way, but will it -finish- that way? If not, then why basically lie to your population saying it's easier than dungeons while ramping up difficulty? There are weapons at the end that if you obtain them you can use them outside of the dungeon, so those will be the real prizes. If difficulty ramps up to, let's say, something akin to Seph EX level of dungeon that people will struggle with, they'll go back to these words of "easier than current dungeons" and feel lied to. Meanwhile, if the hardest they ever get is "easier than current dungeons" then what is the lasting appeal of this content? If there's no challenge in a piece of content that, to me, screams "hey, this will be something to hopefully sate the mid-core (for a time)" then I question who its intended audience is.

tl;dr

If this is supposed to me mid-core content that is to fill a gap between Midas NM and Midas Savage levels, then why is it being billed as something akin to faceroll? If this isn't mid-core content, then who is this for and will we ever see such a piece of content that slots in around the EX level of difficulty that has lasting appeal?

Have you played procedurally generated "how high can you go" games? They get harder and harder and doesn't stop. As in, endless with never-ending ramping difficulty. It definitely sounds like that's how deep dungeon will go

iammeiam

Deep dungeon solo mode was propped up for people "looking for a challenge".

Just to be contrarian, I was expecting that before but after that description I'm not. Or, at least, it's not the magical gradually difficult content to encourage players to start stepping it up. Since level is tied to the dungeon, not anything external, it'll be easy for them to add more enemies/have them hit harder/make them bigger damage sponges while keeping the difficulty relative to stats fairly constant. If any curve is there, I'd expect "slightly easier than EXDR" to be the hard end.

I kind of envision solo mode as a lot of very slow progress doing tiny pulls (unless you're a WAR/SCH, then go nuts.) The biggest problem is if they don't scale the difficulty to party size, the more soloable it is the more trivial it becomes as a four-man.

And for the record I expect the weapon to be glamour in the larger world, not actually useful.

aceface

Easier than current dungeons...but stats reset when you go in right? So is it like if you tried to challenge antitower in ilevel 1 equipment? Bah, I'm probably giving them too much credit and it will be faceroll.

iammeiam

Easier than current dungeons...but stats reset when you go in right? So is it like if you tried to challenge antitower in ilevel 1 equipment? Bah, I'm probably giving them too much credit and it will be faceroll.

My general impression is that this is supposed to be content for everybody (including the people who just find EXDR too tough), and that the longevity is supposed to come from choose-your-own-challenge mode. Go in without a healer or solo or three man or whatever, to find something that's challenging for you!

Basically I expect the difficulty to come from the stuff people already do with undersized parties on ARR stuff. But then I'm a jaded and bitter individual so.

aceface

My general impression is that this is supposed to be content for everybody (including the people who just find EXDR too tough), and that the longevity is supposed to come from choose-your-own-challenge mode. Go in without a healer or solo or three man or whatever, to find something that's challenging for you!

Basically I expect the difficulty to come from the stuff people already do with undersized parties on ARR stuff. But then I'm a jaded and bitter individual so.

You probably have it. They did say they were going to have rankings for solo mode by job posted on lodestone of who made it to the deepest floor, so there's that.

Valor

Have you played procedurally generated "how high can you go" games? They get harder and harder and doesn't stop. As in, endless with never-ending ramping difficulty. It definitely sounds like that's how deep dungeon will go
Yeah. I've played those games. I've also played this one. They don't really predict their difficulty very well ever. Every time they do something right, they fuck it up in some way. That being said:

Since level is tied to the dungeon, not anything external, it'll be easy for them to add more enemies/have them hit harder/make them bigger damage sponges while keeping the difficulty relative to stats fairly constant.

And for the record I expect the weapon to be glamour in the larger world, not actually useful.

You're spot on with what you said and it mirrors a lot of what I think about it. I keep forgetting that it has its own detached leveling system, so they can regulate difficulty a bit better than most existing content. Maybe that'll be fine since their level dungeon ramp up is actually pretty good, I think.

And yes, I didn't mean to imply weapon would be anything more than just glamour.

ebil

It never looked like it was intended to be anything else than pretty casual content to me.

The "no ilv" thing was an indication to me that this is content designed so that veterans can play with newer people since you start at lv 1 (don't you? I haven't followed the latest). It being located in the Black Shroud and not in a higher level region is another indication of this. It honestly felt like this content is an effort akin to the Novice Network to have a better new player retention.

Edit: went and found the initial slides and they do mention in Japanese that it's so new players and veterans can play together.

Perhaps I'm just jaded about the game but I never had the impression that it was the content that would save midcore players. Doesn't mean it can't be fun but I expect no challenge (just a bit more freedom).

Only two seph clears tonight because people kept on leaving and then I had to find new parties with my friend... but I got my sephy axe which looks amazing. Now all I care about is the sch book and bird.

Omni

Finally did my SMN quests today. I've had SCH at 60 for a little while now.

I actually think I like it. Though the pet stuff is a little different. I suppose I should be using Garuda most of the time? Also would it be so bad to keep it off obey? Since it's just DPS. Seems a bit clumsy on controller otherwise trying to weave those abilities in manually.

Eldren

Finally did my SMN quests today. I've had SCH at 60 for a little while now.

I actually think I like it. Though the pet stuff is a little different. I suppose I should be using Garuda most of the time? Also would it be so bad to keep it off obey? Since it's just DPS. Seems a bit clumsy on controller otherwise trying to weave those abilities in manually.

You could probably get away with leaving Ifrit on sic but Garuda works best if you manually control her abilities. Macro the AoE attack to Bane and Painflare so it always goes off in AoE-appropriate situations and you don't have to think about it.

For the others, one is a knockback that'll just piss off tanks and melee if it hits a regular mob, and Contagion works best if used just after you've got your dots up eg. during Dreadwyrm trance use Tri-Disaster then start hammering Contagion because it'll take a few seconds to register. If she's on sic she'll just use it whenever it's ready which would likely be wasteful.

Top Bottom