• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Eldren

Actually... only like 75 items if they give 3+ each, no?

Oh I missed that part. Well that makes it slightly easier to stomach. It took me an eternity to get the 80 items from the last step so hopefully it won't be as much of a slog as that was.

I still need to do the Ixal tribe quests, maybe the Moogles will give me a good excuse to get back to those and work on levelling some crafters.

Thorgal

bG1zv1N.png

Seems odd that they are wrapping up the Dragonsong War in this patch

If this means we soon get to go back to fighting with the Empire, fine with me.

Still waiting for Gaius to return

aceface

Going through the official translation on lodestone...
Treasure hunter dungeon sounds fuuun and could potentially yield a lot of lv V materia...time to load up on dragonskin maps.

Ok so Raid Finder is Duty Finder (but not party finder) for raids? So we can potentially raid with specific people from different servers but only with a "queue at the same time but set the language as French" type of thing? Why make is so obtuse and not just introduce cross server party finder? Although, I suppose being able to set it so that only people who already cleared can join could help avoid scrubs if you want to clear something for the week and you don't have a group.

Also Grade V materia from new beast quests. Bye Void Ark! You will not be missed (It will probably still be required for upgrade items...oh well)

Edit: Also seems like for story, Dragonsong war is ending but Warring Triad/Empire stuff is ramping up. No Warring Triad trial this time but I'm thinking the other two will be the trials for 3.4 and 3.5, bad empire guy will become Kefka, hello expansion storyline!

Cross server PF probably needs a lot more work than this since it won't be just datacenter matchmaking and they promised it for 3.4 or 3.5 (don't remember which)

It looks like a good start though.

iammeiam

Why make is so obtuse and not just introduce cross server party finder?

PS3 Backend limitations. They've been pretty open about the 3.3 thing just being DF with some extra checkboxes for a while, with cross-server PF still being planned but taking more time because it requires more work.

It being Savage only is kind of surprising, because the latest EX primal seems likely to drive way more traffic through it.

Best part of this update:

CjESvd7VEAEqe6R.jpg:large

My monk is going to rock that hat (Vath one, Kung Lao glamour, son). It'll look sick on the T13 striking set... which I'll probably never get since people don't do coil anymore :( Figures the moment I finished ARR beast tribes for the eye piece SE will replace in a couple weeks.

iammeiam

I'd be super surprised if welfare twine and coat weren't in with Mhach from day one, since the gear upgrade cycle is one of the more relatively successful parts of their treadmill. They probably don't need to talk about it at this point because it's just accepted. If Steps EX drops i235 weapons I could see gobdip not hitting until late/3.35, but there's no reason to not put the armor upgrades in.

I called Nidhogg EX, I swear. Kind of sad we aren't getting Zurvan or Sophia yet as I'm a huge Final Fantasy VI fan. Nidhogg ex should be fun, I hope. The new anima sounds pretty brutal. I only have like 6 million gil on me.

Valor

Whoa wut

New fertilizers? Game changer

Seems to be largely for growing decorative flowers though? Does HQ mean BIGGER FLOWER BUNCH?

We can only hope and try not to fall asleep while pruning our bonsai trees.

I will say I'm interested in the fact that the Warring Triad was kind of a misdirect. Initially it looked like a fanservice bit of content that was kind of like a sidestory little thing but now it looks like the next step in the main storyline once Ishgard is safe from Nidhogg. The Grand Companies banding together with Ishgard to push back against the empire might be interesting. Maybe 4.0 will have us actually setting foot into empire controlled regions. It's a more natural story progression with elements that I'm more interested in. Fighting Sephirot for fun, essentially, is great and all but the stakes are pretty low from the lore perspective. It'll be interesting to see what they do with it.

Jeels

I guess for me there is story, new beast tribes, anima weapon. I'll try out the dungeons and acropolis of course. Maybe do weekly Void Ark. Not looking forward to gathering scrips. :/

iammeiam

Here's the OF summary thing on Raid Finder:

Raid Finder

This is a party matching matching system for high-difficulty raids for players of the same Data Center, and it will work with the following content:

Alexander Midas: Fist of the Son (Savage), Cuff of the Son (Savage), Arm of the Son (Savage), Burden of the Son (Savage)

Raid Finder Overview Part 1: Matching conditions

There are two different options for matching conditions: “Duty Complete” and “Duty Incomplete”. Only if you’ve cleared the content once before will you be able to select “Duty Complete.” The system will determine this, so if you haven’t cleared it, you won’t be able to select this option.

Raid Finder Overview Part 2: Objective
Next you will have to select your objective. “Duty Completion” will only be selectable by those who have not yet received their weekly reward. By selecting “Practice” you will be able to go into the raid to practice strategies. Only by selecting “Practice” will you be able to select which phase to focus on.

So, you can decide to go all out and try to clear the content, or you can use the practice mode to repeat the battle to get used to it.

In the event that you’ve already cleared a particular area for the week, you will not be able to enter that area. This is because the number of treasure caskets upon completion are reduced if there are players who have already received rewards present. However, since you can still get tokens, we are awaiting feedback for those of you who still wish to go.

Raid Finder Overview Part 3: Setting phases for practice mode.
Phases can only be set while practice mode is selected. Players will be able to select from first phase, middle phase, and final phase; however, this does not mean players will start from that phase. Also, I’m sure players can decide which part is first phase, middle phase, and final phase on their own, we didn’t set anything specific on development side.

Raid Finder Overview Part 4: Role Structure
When participating in a content via the Raid Finder, the role structure is set to 2 Tanks, 2 Healers, 1 melee DPS, 1 ranged DPS, and one other DPS (wild card). There will be no other matchings outside of this role structure.

Until now, players had to speak with the NPC to enter Savage mode of raid dungeons; however, players will now use this Raid Finder to enter the content, so you do not have to gather around the NPC anymore.

When the mode is set to “Duty Completion,” players will not be matched with the same DPS class/job. This was done to avoid causing the Limit Break gauge to accumulate slower.

When “Practice” is selected, the same DPS class/job may be matched in the last spot.

Since it’s only practice, we made it so the matching can be done quickly rather than being too strict on the jobs. Please try it out and give us feedback, such as you would like to set the main Tank or off Tank, or prioritize the matching speed.

Sophia

Raid finder sounds like the best thing ever, especially with the option to queue up for practice. I'll be making use of that to learn Savage mode for sure.

Valor

On the plus side it does sound like they're willing to tweak it further going forward and it seems rather well thought out. I guess the disappointing thing (though inevitable) is that if you try to coordinate with other people from different servers like on reddit or [outside of the game organization] there's no real way to for sure be able to play with them. Statics still look like they will need to be on the same server. I guess it's not -that- big of a deal but I was definitely under the assumption there could be cross server statics set up. I guess that was just me being overly optimistic.

I also assume they mean two wildcard dps. That makes sense, I suppose. Unless they mean 1 melee/ranged/caster/wild card

Sophia

On the plus side it does sound like they're willing to tweak it further going forward and it seems rather well thought out. I guess the disappointing thing (though inevitable) is that if you try to coordinate with other people from different servers like on reddit or [outside of the game organization] there's no real way to for sure be able to play with them. Statics still look like they will need to be on the same server. I guess it's not -that- big of a deal but I was definitely under the assumption there could be cross server statics set up. I guess that was just me being overly optimistic.

Cross-server communications, friends lists and linkshells would go a long way to alleviating this issue. Basically solving it, even.

I dunno how useful practice RF is gonna be in the West.
I mean. You know how it is.

I imagine it'll be as useful as any practice group you find in party finder, just automated by the system now. Unless they add the above mentioned cross-server stuff, statics and premades on servers will probably be the best solution for completing stuff.

rubius01

I also assume they mean two wildcard dps. That makes sense, I suppose. Unless they mean 1 melee/ranged/caster/wild card

I want to say that's coming 3.5?

iammeiam

I guess it's not -that- big of a deal but I was definitely under the assumption there could be cross server statics set up. I guess that was just me being overly optimistic.

Cross Server PF, where you could probably set up a static by joining the PF every week, is still coming, their tech just isn't structured to work with it so it will take more time. They've been talking about them as separate things for a while, I think people are just more excited for the latter so were anticipating that and forgot this was happening first.

I dunno, the whole thing is kind of interesting as a social experiment, I guess, but it's always been a stopgap bandaid until they can get cross server stuff worked out.

They have to be assuming melee/ranged/caster/?? comp; while you can do A7S with pretty much any comp it seems unlikely that they'd want people to have to learn the no-caster red jail strats.

Sifl

I can't wait for whenever the cross server pf comes out and it have a bunch of listings saying "No scrubs from Mateus".

Valor

Cross-server communications, friends lists and linkshells would go a long way to alleviating this issue. Basically solving it, even.
For sure. Maybe one day that will happen.
I want to say that's coming 3.5?

Cross Server PF, where you could probably set up a static by joining the PF every week, is still coming, their tech just isn't structured to work with it so it will take more time.
Shit no, you're both right. I was lumping them in as the same thing. Well this is a really fantastic first step regardless. I'm definitely in the latter group like you said, Angary. I'm more interested in the next step, but this first step is still pretty important and hopefully is useful for a lot of people!

Also I definitely assume they're doing melee/ranged/caster/wildcard with just a bit of a typo/omission in what was written on the OF.

Sophia

For sure. Maybe one day that will happen.

I hope it's something that happens sooner rather than later. Just being able to have cross-server friends lists and parties, and being able to queue up duty finder/raid finder with them would be a blessing.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect it, even if it might not be something that can be done right away. Many other MMOs have it as well, and it's only been a blessing there.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
i want a cross party system for DR ex. i miss some people that server transfered, queing solo for dr ex is boring as shit.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVSKhYJWf30&feature=youtu.be&t=23m17s

This feels like the 2nd phase track for
Nidhogg
fight. Probably is.

I imagine it'll be as useful as any practice group you find in party finder, just automated by the system now. Unless they add the above mentioned cross-server stuff, statics and premades on servers will probably be the best solution for completing stuff.

Party Finder still requires you to party up with people that you may run into again.
DF is usually treated as no holds barred "Hey guys first time here, what's Provoke".

Frumix

Suffering From Success
At least this raid finder has a mode where you can't join unless you've cleared it before. Thats something.

I guess. I see this tool be the most effective in 7/8 situations where you need a rep but just can't find one, or your friend that can rep is playing on some other realm within the same DC.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I like the idea of practice mode raid finder, but have a feeling people will try to slip into completion in the West given the fake it till you make it attitude a lot of players have in this part of the world. Seems to be something that'll fit like a glove in Japan, though.

Sifl

Also you'll have those people who got carried through a5s once joining, trying to get carried for their weekly clear.

I like the idea of practice mode raid finder, but have a feeling people will try to slip into completion in the West given the fake it till you make it attitude a lot of players have in this part of the world. Seems to be something that'll fit like a glove in Japan, though.
You can't queue for completion if you haven't beaten it before.

Top Bottom