• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Raijinken

Probably their best trailer since 2.4. Not because that trailer was focused on Shiva or anything, no sir. I'm really looking forward to how the story will end and hopefully we'll get a tease of what's to come in the expansion's story at the end of it.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Did Nidhogg just rider kick the party for his phase transition move?
Okay I'm warming up to the guy.

tumblr_o7ttn00oon1v2w9eko1_540.png
Buttwings for the buttwings god.

Omni

What do I meld on a SMN? Det? Suppose crit is a safe one too.

Would I be laughed at for some vitality melds on my accessories? I do it with my healer.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
That Dragonsong on the Nidhogg trial...
They definitely moved the best story from the raid to MSQ for expansion.

I would still like it more if they didn't have to interrupt the Warring Triad storyline...
But I guess asking for 2 trials is just too much.

Wilsongt

That Dragonsong on the Nidhogg trial...
They definitely moved the best story from the raid to MSQ for expansion.

If Dragonsong plays during the Trial, I would be happy.

I would still like it more if they didn't have to interrupt the Warring Triad storyline...

They need some trials for 3.4 and 3.5, or else you'd just get Odin 2.0.

aceface

If Dragonsong plays during the Trial, I would be happy.

They need some trials for 3.4 and 3.5, or else you'd just get Odin 2.0.

Yeah I'm guessing the other two statues are 3.4 and 3.5 trials and the Garleans will mess things up and unlock UNLIMITED POWER which will probably lead into the 4.0 story.

Jeels

Man, been waiting for the Dragonsong War to end forever...looking forward to it. :x

Seems like its mostly been a diversion from the threat of the empire.

That trailer was really good.

I thought that was going to be a Nibelung Valesti at the end but a Nidhogg powered Jump is more fitting I suppose.

There's also a part towards the end that is reminiscent of the Heavensward opening cinematic when the main character is walking forward while Ishgardian troops are fleeing.

I suppose this is how the cinematic loops into the game since it didn't really depict anything we've seen in the story so far. They must have planned that since the beginning.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
What do I meld on a SMN? Det? Suppose crit is a safe one too.

Would I be laughed at for some vitality melds on my accessories? I do it with my healer.
Last I checked it was Crit V > Det V > SSPD V > Crit IV > SSPD IV > Det IV

Vit melds depends on what you're doing. Savage 7 and 8? You might want some depending on where your HP is at.

Squishy3

There's still Warring Triad story being added in this quest, there's going to be a solo duty where you go through the Aetherochemical Research Facility with all the characters involved in the storyline. Just no Warring Triad trial.

Yeah I'm guessing the other two statues are 3.4 and 3.5 trials and the Garleans will mess things up and unlock UNLIMITED POWER which will probably lead into the 4.0 story.
Don't forget there's a very suspicious wing sticking out of that tower on top of the flagship in Azys Lla.

I'd also like to point out I still don't believe that the two trials we're getting are just Final Steps of Faith and the EX version, I went back through all the previous patch stuff and the Hildibrand trials were never shown ahead of time. Not to mention remember they design from the EX version backwards for stuff.

Garlador

... Time to resub.

It's been awhile, and I KNOW I'm going to be super-rusty. Any way to catch up on how to play the game in a way that doesn't make my raid groups pull their hair out and curse my mother? I've always been "serviceable", but at this point, I'm ready to take this to the next level. It's hard being a "casual" FFXIV player at end-game, which cooled me on it after clearing Heavensward's MSQ.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
... Time to resub.

It's been awhile, and I KNOW I'm going to be super-rusty. Any way to catch up on how to play the game in a way that doesn't make my raid groups pull their hair out and curse my mother? I've always been "serviceable", but at this point, I'm ready to take this to the next level. It's hard being a "casual" FFXIV player at end-game, which cooled me on it after clearing Heavensward's MSQ.

Just do nidhogg normal and the new expert dungeons until you're more comfortable, I'm say- also the new Raid Finder system might work out for dipping your toes into Savage though I haven't really looked into it.

Garlador

Just do nidhogg normal and the new expert dungeons until you're more comfortable, I'm say- also the new Raid Finder system might work out for dipping your toes into Savage though I haven't really looked into it.

I'd like to try my hand at magic and healer classes, but I have not yet figured out how to do proper targeting with a controller...I was initially a Warrior Tank, but the pressure to basically "lead" a raid (often ones I was entirely unfamiliar with) soured me on that. I've been DPS for awhile which, while enjoyable and I'm okay at it, is progressively growing more and more convoluted as I try and remember which order of which stances and which mantras and which buffs to do in which order.

iammeiam

I'd like to try my hand at magic and healer classes, but I have not yet figured out how to do proper targeting with a controller...I was initially a Warrior Tank, but the pressure to basically "lead" a raid (often ones I was entirely unfamiliar with) soured me on that. I've been DPS for awhile which, while enjoyable and I'm okay at it, is progressively growing more and more convoluted as I try and remember which order of which stances and which mantras and which buffs to do in which order.

Healer controller targeting is pretty easy--use Up/Down on the D-pad to scroll up and down the party list. Leave left/right for enemies. Enemy targeting is a lot of manipulating your camera so the stuff you want to target is on screen and the stuff you don't isn't. And maybe setting your Unsheathed targeting filter to enemy.

DPS rotations are mostly a matter of doing the research and then beating on a dummy. The Stone, Sky, Sea dummies added let you test your performance against a vague idea of what you should be able to do to beat a specific piece of content. Being good at DPS does involve actual work to learn stuff, but outside of Savage it doesn't really matter (and it matters far less this tier than it did last.), and you can use your ability to beat a dummy or not as a guideline of if you're ready for Savage. Once you learn it it's mostly muscle memory and then a little tailoring your approach to a specific fight.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
There's still Warring Triad story being added in this quest, there's going to be a solo duty where you go through the Aetherochemical Research Facility with all the characters involved in the storyline. Just no Warring Triad trial.

Probably because otherwise it'd be complete bollocks.
Yeah, solo instance, cool. Yawn.

Qvoth

do we know if moogle tribe quests will be crafting quests or normal battle class quests?
not gonna lie, the flying dandelion is cute

GAMERG0D

derp, all my crafting classes are still at 0 lol
guess i'll just give up
You can get a crafter to 50 in a week or less if you do levequests, GC turn in, and Ixali quests. It's really easy but it does take a fair bit of time, and these Moogle quests will make getting crafters from 50 to 60 even easier. Not to mention they are adjusting scrip turn ins to make getting level 58 crafting gear easier.

Qvoth

nah i'm too lazy
i've played the game since 2.0 and my only 60 is blm, only have 2 other classes that are 50 for example (brd and sch/smn)

Squishy3

They have already confirmed they are crafting.
It looks like a mixture of both, landing what the Ixal didn't do. There's stuff like the Vath/Vanu where you fly a mount around and spray stuff on people.

I doubt you need to be a crafter to ride the puff puff and make dragons sneeze.

Zomba13

I think it's kinda weird the Moogles are this expansions crafting beast tribe quest and not Goblins. I mean, their thing right now is building Idylshire into a gobbie stay home so wouldn't it make sense to make them the buildy crafters and we have to craft help them?

aceface

It looks like a mixture of both, landing what the Ixal didn't do. There's stuff like the Vath/Vanu where you fly a mount around and spray stuff on people.

I doubt you need to be a crafter to ride the puff puff and make dragons sneeze.

Ixal had battle portions too, to get the materials you need for the crafting. The difference is with Ixal you could have a crafter literally at lv1 and still do them, here you'll need a lv 50 crafter.

I wonder how easy it is to get back into this game. Because I don't remember what I was doing exactly. I beat the main scenario and was on my way to Heavensward, but I also remember doing (hard) dungeons for... whatever reason? I think I stranded somewhere around the Crystal Tower. Also, I was a Dragoon. And in the GAF guild.

Guess I'm just looking for experiences of other players who've gotten back to a character after months (I think it's been a year now actually) of not playing.

... I should read the OP, shouldn't I?

Top Bottom