• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Valor

What if he didn't have Grit on.

I taught him that it was okay to use Low Blow on cooldown for a DPS increase and it blew his mind. I don't think he really was pushing enough buttons. He didn't really use Dark Arts either...
I'm sobbing too hard to formulate an adequate response to this.

I hadn't considered MCH's boosts to MNK. Their main benefit is being a TP fountain I'm guessing? That would free up chakra for FC use and the MNK doesn't have to sweat over his achilles' heel so much. That comes at a DPS loss to MCH though.
Nope! Hypercharge! Hypercharge lasts far longer than Trick Attack and Monks can just absolutely obliterate things with the bonus damage in addition to broken ass GL3 + B4B + all of their crazy damage skills. I haven't Midas'd on Monk, at least not savage, but TP is hardly ever really an issue that Invig doesn't solve in many of these fights, so you should always be good on FC I think. Plus there's a really not-so-feasible-but-hey-it-exists trick with MCH where if you spam promotion you can have the benefit of having tp regen and damage coming from the turret as well, so... yay for Machinist~

Nah, Determination got nerfed into orbit
Budget cutbacks in the book spine market. Life's a bitch.

Jayhawk

If Monks not having TP issues in Midas Savage was actually a thing, I could Goad more than one person and help boost that PLD dps. Alas, some of the fights in this raid tier last longer than most full-GAF Overwatch matches, so Monk TP issues do exist.

...and lol @ BL providing more raid dps than TA

Valor

If Monks not having TP issues in Midas Savage was actually a thing, I could Goad more than one person and help boost that PLD dps. Alas, some of the fights in this raid tier last longer than most full-GAF Overwatch matches, so Monk TP issues do exist.

...and lol @ BL providing more raid dps than TA

{Hmmm...} Fair enough! That 12 minute A7S is probably hell on their TP reserves because they're special snowflakes who never go to jail.

Can you also at least pick a GOOD Overwatch waifu if you're intent on using one as your avatar?

MogCakes

Nope! Hypercharge! Hypercharge lasts far longer than Trick Attack and Monks can just absolutely obliterate things with the bonus damage in addition to broken ass GL3 + B4B + all of their crazy damage skills.

Does Hypercharge extend its turret additional effects too or are the effects just 10 second durations that activate when Hypercharge is used?

Does Hypercharge extend its turret additional effects too or are the effects just 10 second durations that activate when Hypercharge is used?
Hypercharged turrets keep reapplying their debuffs over the duration of it.

So basically it's a Trick Attack that last 30 seconds.

Machinists are dumb.

Jayhawk

{Hmmm...} Fair enough! That 12 minute A7S is probably hell on their TP reserves because they're special snowflakes who never go to jail.

Can you also at least pick a GOOD Overwatch waifu if you're intent on using one as your avatar?

Gotta pick the waifu I play the worst with to improve my W/L and K/D ratios. Kawazi can't carry us to victory every game apparently... and I don't think I can put a butt as my avatar.
Plus Tracer has best accent! You know about my preference for girls with British accents. Have you booked our flights for the EU fanfest?

Valor

Yeah, so the turret's auto attacks get charged up and get a phys/mag vuln down (rook/bishop) for the next 20 seconds. Usually that's been 6 and 7 auto attacks based on ticks and all that junk. Every hit of that is a 10 second vuln up, so also as a Machinist with rook you can spread vuln down to technically up to 6 or 7 targets if you spread it around, or it'll pummel one enemy with that 10 second vuln for 20 seconds worth of autos and then tick down ten seconds from the last applied. It's pretty crazy.

The one obvious downside is that Rook only boosts physical and Bishop only boosts magical, so most of the time your casters are gonna get the shaft. And that's why BLM/SMN/Felix love Bards.

Jayhawk

I only learned more about the Hypercharge debuff from The Feast matches against Machinists, and having to run away from turrets. :(

Ogawa-san

Does anyone here pay for their sub through Steam in local, non-U$ currency? I have a non-Steam account, so I can't check if it's still available until I download the trial and make a new account.

Thinking about coming back, still mulling over starting from scratch "just" to pay a 50% cheaper sub.

Squishy3

I was farming Thordan with a party that had a NIN and a MCH in it and we were getting him down to the percentage cut off where he leaves before the quaga after dragon's rage went off, plus guaranteed no pizza

Trick attack+hypercharge 2gud

Kyrios

Hey guys, how far am I till Heavensward? I am in Realm Reborn post-game and the last quest I stopped at was the Ramuh boss fight.

Sophia

Hey guys, how far am I till Heavensward? I am in Realm Reborn post-game and the last quest I stopped at was the Ramuh boss fight.

You're on patch 2.3's story arc. You've got two more story arcs (Dreams of Ice patch 2.4) and (Before the Fall patch 2.5) after it. So not much longer. Just make sure you have Heavensward activated and installed so you're getting that precious XP.

Kyrios

You're on patch 2.3's story arc. You've got two more story arcs (Dreams of Ice patch 2.4) and (Before the Fall patch 2.5) after it. So not much longer. Just make sure you have Heavensward activated and installed so you're getting that precious XP.

Okay thanks, yeah I had Heavensward activated as soon as I hit level 50. Just wish the quests gave you more than 4,800 exp...

ebil

I want them to add Dancer as a job.

The only role I think they could fill would be healer though since tank/DPS would be weird I think.

From what I remember of FFT they had a lot of dancing buffs that affected everyone on the field.
FF11's Dancer is a melee healer hybrid (it can also DPS, buff/debuff and even has some tanking skills) that uses TP and builds stacks as a secondary resource, and it's awesome. I'd love it if they introduced Dancer as a healer with similar mechanics in FF14, it's so much fun.

Gh0stie5

Neo Member
I think by the time I started the expansion my SMN was lvl54. By doing all the content at 50 and roulettes.

Currently leveling a lvl58 BLM and loving it.

- Tank main FC member complains that he dislikes WAR because it's so slow and loves DRK because of all these cool extra buttons there are to push
- Proceeds to pull 285 DPS off-tanking Thordan Extreme with 15% echo

... How about sticking to slow WAR after all?

I think my DPS was 500-600 when i had grit and darkside on back in 3.1, and 800 with just darkside (edit: grit numbers were from A1S Faust, Darkside numbers were from a dummy). I'm not sure how you could go lower unless you just aren't using oGCD's and Dark Arts Souleaters/ Carve and Spit

Ken

How much does latency affect DPS? In terms of raw numbers.

I like to tell myself 70-100.

I play at like 210 ping on a good day. Huton gives me 2.1x GCD but checking logs my real GCD is like 2.4 so that kind of stinks since it's like Huton isn't a thing.

It's not run killing but knowing that you're always playing at a disadvantage is lame. West coast servers when.

Qvoth

Use Ley Lines 3 seconds before Calcabrina's uses Brace? Got it

i use it at the start, after quelling strikes > sharpcast > fire > enochian > fire 3 proc
position it diagonally from the tank, so you can stand at the sides for the confusion targeted aoe

just do what works best for you, everyone's got their own preference

Thorgal

All this Dps talk just made me realize I never leveled drg to get B4B for monk . Oops.

I am a bad dps, I deserve to be punished.

i use it at the start, after quelling strikes > sharpcast > fire > enochian > fire 3 proc
position it diagonally from the tank, so you can stand at the sides for the confusion targeted aoe

just do what works best for you, everyone's got their own preference

I don't even have a BLM, i just like making bad jokes :p

FF11's Dancer is a melee healer hybrid (it can also DPS, buff/debuff and even has some tanking skills) that uses TP and builds stacks as a secondary resource, and it's awesome. I'd love it if they introduced Dancer as a healer with similar mechanics in FF14, it's so much fun.

That sounds pretty good.

Fingers crossed that they make it into the next expansion.

ebil

I think my DPS was 500-600 when i had grit and darkside on back in 3.1, and 800 with just darkside (edit: grit numbers were from A1S Faust, Darkside numbers were from a dummy). I'm not sure how you could go lower unless you just aren't using oGCD's and Dark Arts Souleaters/ Carve and Spit
I'm not even sure he even pushes a button every time his GCD is up at this point to be honest. It just struck me as ironic that someone would say they love having all the extra buttons on DRK just to end up not using them at all.

MogCakes

It's not run killing but knowing that you're always playing at a disadvantage is lame. West coast servers when.

Damn. :( I had considered lag was hurting my DPS, but the more I look at my ACT logs the more glaring the activation delays between skills become.

creid

Just got my 4th and 5th Aether Oils this week via (hopefully) my last CT runs. Managed to finally get the two CT minions on my final two runs of ST and WoD \o/

Leunam

I'm a total newbie when it comes to material melding and I can't quite figure out that one online BiS calculator thing. Assuming I'm a MCH in full proto-Midan minus one Lore ring, what should I be melding and what should I be replacing with Lore gear on the left side first? Should I be putting double Det Vs on my Torrent Musketoon?

I'm a total newbie when it comes to material melding and I can't quite figure out that one online BiS calculator thing. Assuming I'm a MCH in full proto-Midan minus one Lore ring, what should I be melding and what should I be replacing with Lore gear on the left side first? Should I be putting double Det Vs on my Torrent Musketoon?

You mean this one? You pick your item and when you go to the materia section it tells you which stats are already capped. If a stat is capped, adding materia with the same stat won't accomplish anything. What you add is determined by what people think the best stats are. 99% of the time your main stat is capped.

Valor

Good left side pieces for Machinist are literally everything but the head piece and belt. Chest and Pants are both very good pieces to target first, then the hands and the feet depending on if you need more accuracy or not. For melding, it's pretty simple.

http://ffxiv.ariyala.com/MCH

So with your Torrent Musketoon. It has 114 Crit and 76 Det. The higher number of the secondary stat is usually completely capped. You cannot add any more onto it. So your options for melding onto the weapon are basically Accuracy, Det, and Skill Speed. You can see the small numbers in the boxes on Ariyala. Those are the stat caps for each particular stat.
Det can go up to 109, and you have 76 on it already. That means you can comfortably fit 39 more points of Determination on it before it caps. Since you can only meld two pieces onto it, and +12 is the highest that materia give you right now, It's very safe and a very good idea to meld two Det 5's onto your weapon so you get +24 det, which is the best gain you can give it.

That all being said, it depends on what your purpose is for this gear. If you want to be raiding, you probably want to drop 5's into more permanent pieces that will not be upgraded for a very long time, or for Best in Slot pieces that are maximum ilevel. Otherwise, throwing the cheaper 4's onto your gear is going to be way more than good enough.

Garlador

I'm so rusty... Glad folks are patient whenever I accidentally aggro something or totally goof on my Mantras...

I need advice on leveling a crafting class. I tried doing being an armorer for awhile, but at this point I'm pretty sure I need to focus on something and commit, but it's pretty darn expensive/boring for almost every other hand and land class. Like, there's gotta be a faster way and I just haven't looked or researched hard enough. It's just getting embarrassing having multiple 50+ warrior and magic classes and all my support classes are sub-20.

Leunam

Thanks for the input. Once I've got a few more Lore pieces for my tank and DPS classes I'll take a harder look at that calculator. I figure I can at least meld something onto my weapon right now, since I don't expect to be going into Midas Savage anytime soon.

I'm so rusty... Glad folks are patient whenever I accidentally aggro something or totally goof on my Mantras...

I need advice on leveling a crafting class. I tried doing being an armorer for awhile, but at this point I'm pretty sure I need to focus on something and commit, but it's pretty darn expensive/boring for almost every other hand and land class. Like, there's gotta be a faster way and I just haven't looked or researched hard enough. It's just getting embarrassing having multiple 50+ warrior and magic classes and all my support classes are sub-20.

Are you doing leves and GC turn-ins? That's the fastest way. Faster if you get a crafting friend to help you out with HQ items.

Early crafting levelling priorities:
Everything -> 15 for early cross-class abilities
CUL -> 37 for Steady Hand 2 (+30% success)
CRP -> 50 for Byregot's Blessing, which gives a big quality boost based on Inner Quiet Stacks
WVR -> 50 for Careful Synthesis II (high progress with 100% chance to hit)

Jayhawk

RIP Ultros PF. I wonder if I can find a sub OT for some early A8S practice on Thursday and/or Sunday night who isn't Expert Roulette/Captain Daddy.

Village

I enjoy this game quite a bit, and would like to hear folk, talk about it. Any good youtube channels and or podcasts

- Tank main FC member complains that he dislikes WAR because it's so slow and loves DRK because of all these cool extra buttons there are to push
- Proceeds to pull 285 DPS off-tanking Thordan Extreme with 15% echo

... How about sticking to slow WAR after all?

No

Let me explain to you drk

"Its a class where I'm fucking guts!"

I have now explained drk

Downside you also technically kirito. Unless you like sword art, so happy you.

GAMERG0D

Are you doing leves and GC turn-ins? That's the fastest way. Faster if you get a crafting friend to help you out with HQ items.

Early crafting levelling priorities:
Everything -> 15 for early cross-class abilities
CUL -> 37 for Steady Hand 2 (+30% success)
CRP -> 50 for Byregot's Blessing, which gives a big quality boost based on Inner Quiet Stacks
WVR -> 50 for Careful Synthesis II (high progress with 100% chance to hit)
This, SH II has saved me so much stress leveling all my crafting classes. I have everything at mid-twenties besides GSM at 60.

Thorgal

Anyone know which headpiece this is ?
Tccjw4m.jpg

I enjoy this game quite a bit, and would like to hear folk, talk about it. Any good youtube channels and or podcasts

Mogtalk with Frosty

Mr happy State of the realm

Top Bottom