• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Ken

Damn. :( I had considered lag was hurting my DPS, but the more I look at my ACT logs the more glaring the activation delays between skills become.

How bad is your ping? Do you have dropped packets issue too? If your ping isn't great, you might consider swapping to a class that doesn't use as many double oGCDs like MNK or NIN.

At the very least FFXIV has skill queuing so that helps a bit.

MogCakes

I haven't tested my ping yet. I often have dropped packets and sometimes lag spikes during encounters, so most likely it's pretty bad. I still manage to pull off double oGCDs regularly though and DRG is probably my favorite class to play along with MNK. I'd guess I'm being hurt by around 100 DPS from lag.

EDIT: I'm going to look into ethernet cords. I think I still have one somewhere that's 25 ft long.

Ken

I haven't tested my ping yet. I often have dropped packets and sometimes lag spikes during encounters, so most likely it's pretty bad. I still manage to pull off double oGCDs regularly though and DRG is probably my favorite class to play along with MNK. I'd guess I'm being hurt by around 100 DPS from lag.

could try one of those wtfast-esque programs. those helped me a ton.

Ogawa-san

The game changed quite a bit since last I played. The new noob center is pretty awesome, it's like the Skullgirls training mode of MMOs.

Omni

I play from Australia. No such thing as a double oGCD for me. Too many "Interruptions" if I try.

Not tried the other melee classes yet but DRG is the horrble. Feels like a second delay before I can use Geirskogul, for example. Dunno if that's normal but when it procs it doesn't activate >.>

The game changed quite a bit since last I played. The new noob center is pretty awesome, it's like the Skullgirls training mode of MMOs.

wish it was made better, tbh. I did it when i first started healing and was annoyed that NPC's weren't in the party list since i had mouseover macros set

I'm a little confused about purchasing the game, I'm doing the 14 day trial now,would I have to buy the standalone game or would I just be able to buy a game card? And Heavensward I wouldn't need until level 50, right?

I'm a little confused about purchasing the game, I'm doing the 14 day trial now,would I have to buy the standalone game or would I just be able to buy a game card? And Heavensward I wouldn't need until level 50, right?

I believe you need to buy the game. And yes heavensward isnt needed till you finish the story in the base game

MogCakes

is it a better idea to do my MNK relic and upgrade it when the patch hits or should I go ahead and get the lore weapon? Kinda feeling like I should wait it out since the patch is so near.

katagai

Saw on reddit that there was a new Famitsu article, and this image in the gallery at the bottom caught my eye:

1tOHCbn.jpg

Also, "Revenge"

Squishy3

Don't know if you're trying to imply it's Cloud of Darkness or somebody else but it's Calofistieri from FF5. Was also in the trailer.

Valor

is it a better idea to do my MNK relic and upgrade it when the patch hits or should I go ahead and get the lore weapon? Kinda feeling like I should wait it out since the patch is so near.
Lore weapon is hot garbage for Monk versus that relic. Next relic step also allows customization so you can keep all of its crit/det goodness forever.

Omni

Joined a static and cleared A5 savage earlier!

Already more or less know up to the fourth boss of A6 too. Well... I've been to the third and got him down pretty far. Just yanno. Mistakes happen. Lots to learn there but I'm finding it fun (because I was learning these fights by filling in, I knew more of A6 than I did of A5... haha).

Munba

Deep Dungeon Famitsu translation from reddit:

There will be a natural recovery system for HP in the deep dungeon, but he advises you bring potions anyway since it will make things easier, lol. Potions and high potions will be sold rather cheaply outside of the market board.

You cannot change jobs once you are inside (this is to be expected). What the hell...? Okay, so you know how you get different effects and such while you're inside, right? Yoshi-P laughs as he talks about how you can even transform into a Manticore and punch your enemies, sending them flying with ease, clearing a room quickly, but to be careful about stepping on certain traps because it could be a mine, lol.

As of 3.35, there are 50 floors maximum, but he plans to make it go up to 200 (I think we already knew this part though?). Upon meeting certain conditions and clearing the floors, you will unlock side quests and begin the scenario (is this talking about who I think it is?! that had to be her in the trailer, lol). He goes on to talk about equipment strengthening inside the dungeon and how you can find potions which will decrease recast time (neat), so there are lots of different effects to look out for.

Okay, so yeah... You should definitely bring phoenix tails with you, lol. If the entire party is wiped, you get a game over. Apparently you can resurrect yourself or an ally (?) by touching something called an Ankh (I'm guessing it's a statue of some sort). As long as you're resurrected and keep yourself alive through this way (or by using phoenix tail), the run can continue. Oh and I guess these are rare drops that you get from inside the dungeon (I thought it was just phoenix downs since I have a few of those in my storage, lol).
He says the next update for deep dungeon will be either 3.45 or 3.50.

It seems an awesome and really different (from the rest of the game) content, woah. The return of the Hype for me :O

Also from the interview
I can't put out any particulars, but we've gone in and made many adjustments to bard skills. However, even after the adjustments, machinists and bards will not be identical in terms of DPS output. We're maintaining machinist's relatively high DPS output due to how difficult it is to play it. Nonetheless, we've received feedback regarding bard's low DPS output compared to machinists, so we're going to close the gap to a degree. I also feel that DoT management for bards is rather difficult, but for now, we're focusing on adjustments that will even out the DPS outputs of both jobs a little bit more.
d7c3ljl9.gif

Gimme dem sweet potency increases.

ebil

Judging from the interview, they're probably buffing Doton. It would be interesting if they buffed Katon as well though.

And whoa, they're finally starting to adjust Nocturnal AST (and have been considering adjustments
nerfs
to SCH for a while, I'm scared for 3.4).

iammeiam

It's worth noting the raw single target output of Bard in a vacuum isn't measurably worse than MCH.

Aiurily's suggested buffs are fairly small but smart (Flaming Arrow in particular getting something), focused less on raw potency and more on improving how the job plays--lower song penalty, shorter cast time for songs, etc. Straight skill potency buffs risk flipping the bias again if next tier's fights don't basically play into MCH's advantages.

Also lol@Yoshida implying MCH is particularly hard to play.

It's worth noting the raw single target output of Bard in a vacuum isn't measurably worse than MCH.

Aiurily's suggested buffs are fairly small but smart (Flaming Arrow in particular getting something), focused less on raw potency and more on improving how the job plays--lower song penalty, shorter cast time for songs, etc. Straight skill potency buffs risk flipping the bias again if next tier's fights don't basically play into MCH's advantages.

Also lol@Yoshida implying MCH is particularly hard to play.
The problem right now is that even if the fights were tailored to Bards they would do less damage. Bards also have a steeper DPS progression curve, until you gear up you're doing considerably less damage than Machinists because your DPS is very reliant on Bloodletter procs. And then there's other issues like how Hypercharge/Promote completely outclasses Songs/Voice, mobility and let's not even go into the extra raid DPS.

Utility wise, the only advantages Bard has over Machinist is Paean, RoD and battle voice'd Foe's and those are just not worth not having Hypercharge. So we have two options to realistically buff bards, we either increase their selfish DPS - they don't bring as much raid DPS so it's only fair - or we just say fuck it and give Foe's phys res down properties - which would 100% just break bards and that's no good, besides homogenization is awful design. Quality of life changes won't do anything because that's not what's holding them back in the current tier and without buffs this will absolutely not change in the next tier unless the fights are designed in a way that they're impossible to clear without a Bard.

Guess Who

Banned
Bard needs a major rethink at this point. The changes to the job in 3.x and the addition of Machinist just totally fucked it. DPS buffs aren't enough.

ebil

My mom just sent me a message through facebook saying she's starting to greatly enjoy leveling culinarian desynth, is using my dad as a fishing bot. Nothing has changed since I was a child.

iammeiam

The problem right now is that even if the fights were tailored to Bards they would do less damage. Bards also have a steeper DPS progression curve, until you gear up you're doing considerably less damage than Machinists because your DPS is very reliant on Bloodletter procs. And then there's other issues like how Hypercharge/Promote completely outclasses Songs/Voice, mobility and let's not even go into the extra raid DPS.

Utility wise, the only advantages Bard has over Machinist is Paean, RoD and battle voice'd Foe's and those are just not worth not having Hypercharge. So we have two options to realistically buff bards, we either increase their selfish DPS - they don't bring as much raid DPS so it's only fair - or we just say fuck it and give Foe's phys res down properties - which would 100% just break bards and that's no good, besides homogenization is awful design. Quality of life changes won't do anything because that's not what's holding them back in the current tier and without buffs this will absolutely not change in the next tier unless the fights are designed in a way that they're impossible to clear without a Bard.

Every time I think I've finished a reply you edit more in so I maybe missed stuff sorry.

First I'd argue Bard absolutely would pull ahead in a fight if you dropped another A1S or A2S into this tier. It's hard to overstate how heavily Gordias tipped towards Bard, or how heavily Midas favors MCH. Encounter design makes a huge difference, and pairing fixing MCH's initial shortfalls with encounters that play to the job's strengths flipped everything around and knocked Bard off their default ranged DPS pedestal and brought about the mass exodus from the job.

It's worth noting the most significant changes this tier for MCH were making procs not stupidly late to display, and buffing Hypercharge so Foe Req was no longer immediately superior. The utility stuff is largely unchanged from last tier, when everyone was touting Bard utility as superior, it's just this tier makes MCH stun and slow actually useful, and the damage going out in some spots finally got people to Rend Mind/Dismantle. Very little in terms of how the jobs work in raw personal numbers has changed since Bard was the golden boy (Gauss around boost is nice but not substantial). Somebody who pays attention to caster accuracy probably already knows if RoD will go back to being a big deal next tier or not--at some point Accuracy caps may outstrip practical meld options, but this tier RoD lost out.

The fix to Foe's honestly seems pretty simple and obvious--give the magic damage boost a % increase. The Hypercharge buff this tier was considerably more than I'd been wanting during Gordias, and more than I thought we needed to break even, so increasing the boost from Foe makes sense to me.

I mean, I linked the Aiurily thing largely because it provided some actual raw number perspective. In a vaccuum the differences flat out aren't near as big as FFLogs would have you believe, and how those skills interact with encounter design is a big deal, so I'd like to see a more nuanced approach to the job than just slapping potency on stuff and calling it good because all that does is keep things seesawing back and forth as people run between the fluctuating "clearly superior" jobs. Neither has ever been non-viable for average raiding, which is nice, at least.

I do agree that simple potency buffs are just a bandaid workaround. That's what you give to Monks to keep up with the other melee jobs, not how you should be buffing a support role, but sadly right now that's the only thing that will help the job not feel like a handicap until some more carefully thought out work is done - insert your preferred lack of staff meme here.

iammeiam

Honestly Yoshida's insistence on pretending MCH is super difficult has me worried he's going to treat Bard like PLD which helps nobody.

MogCakes

I do agree that simple potency buffs are just a bandaid workaround. That's what you give to Monks to keep up with the other melee jobs, not how you should be buffing a support role

A bigger boost to NIN would be granting them self-goad. A potency increase to one of their skills won't drastically affect their DPS, I think, unless it's multiple skills or a TP cost reduction.

My mom just sent me a message through facebook saying she's starting to greatly enjoy leveling culinarian desynth, is using my dad as a fishing bot. Nothing has changed since I was a child.

This game really has all kinds of people playing it, wow.

A bigger boost to NIN would be granting them self-goad. A potency increase to one of their skills won't drastically affect their DPS, I think, unless it's multiple skills or a TP cost reduction.
That depends, I'd imagine bringing AE's damage back up would considerably increase their DPS because of Duality.

Valor

It's funny to me that we started 3.0 with that incredible like 300 Pot Sidewinder and EA and they got nerfed into oblivion and now they're gonna add those potencies back.

Adjusting potencies does change quite a bit of the gap between Machinist and Bard because where in 2.0 Bard was arguably (perhaps unarguably) the Burst King, in 3.0 their burst straight up blows. They only have one powerful oGCD skill and it got half of its teeth removed in infancy. Bloodletter procs are a problem at higher crit rates since you're losing gcds left and right as Bard in 3.0.

The best way to fix this, in my opinion, is to mess with potencies. In my opinion they should increased Bloodletter's potency as well to a place where clipping your gcd to hit a bloodletter is a dps gain over a dps loss. Right now it's equal to Heavy Shot, which is silly because Heavy Shot is better than Bloodletter every day and twice on sundays to use in a vaccuum if you had to choose one or the other. It reminds me a lot of things Eve complained about with DRG 4th hit before they changed it. Missing a positional on them used to be a 190 potency swing. If Bloodletter worked in a way where it's okay to clip your GCD by firing one off, then it would alleviate a lot of concerns.

The two solutions I see are nerfing BL potency or buffing it. The former makes it so not keeping BL flowing isn't as important to your dps, and the latter makes it so keeping BL flowing is a gain to your dps.

I do agree that a shorter FA with increased potency would be fantastic, since maximizing an entire FA uptime is considerably more difficult these days as opposed to 2.0, when I never noticed my poor AoE just sitting there doing no damage because everything was dead.

Increasing potencies helps Bard with the 30s On 60s Off phases, since you'll be less reliant on maximizing your dot uptimes to deal damage. Couple that with less detriment from playing songs and I think we're on the right path to keeping Bard an attractive choice. Their utility is just fine and, I feel, better than MCH's in more situations, where MCH is more niche, but that niche is literally EVERYWHERE in Midas.

The basic playstyle of Bard is still the main problem where it doesn't feel good and it always feels like you're playing catch up to me or sacrificing one thing to do another.

Re: Ninja -> Potency increases are literally the only way to buff that overstuffed class. Buffing AE doesn't do a lot since Dancing Edge is mandatory, and Armor Crush is mandatory, and AE is what you use if all else is taken care of. Maybe make their timers not hot garbage and insane micromanagement.

iammeiam

The best way to fix this, in my opinion, is to mess with potencies. In my opinion they should increased Bloodletter's potency as well to a place where clipping your gcd to hit a bloodletter is a dps gain over a dps loss. Right now it's equal to Heavy Shot, which is silly because Heavy Shot is better than Bloodletter every day and twice on sundays to use in a vaccuum if you had to choose one or the other.

wuttttttt

GCD skill with a cast time and TP cost is not inherently superior to free oGCD with no cast time. If there is any chance of a DoT ticking during the Heavy Shot cast when you have BL up, you should absolutely clip to get BL out. old math, I think the increase in crit this tier weights more heavily in BL's favor.

Buffing BL potency does nothing the address situations where a DoT tick will happen before your next oGCD window, since it's already a gain there, and the degree to which they'd have to buff BL potency to make it worth it to push a GCD when it couldn't reset before the next oGCD window would be essentially broken levels of OP. And doing that has the net effect of making Bard play worse. Nerfing BL would require ground up class rebalance since the crit double dip is one of the few parts of Bard that survived into HW Undamaged.

The stack mechanic for BL makes more sense to me--let you hold the charge between GCDs so you're not stuck with the current situation of clipping or losing DPS--and I also like the proposed application potency buff for VB and WB because they can address the fight design issue. Position it such that manual VB+WB application is still a potency loss over IJ+HS, but is closer, so Bard's sustained dummy numbers don't move but fights that force constant reapplication because #mechanics see a natural boost.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm in a weird situation, I just resubscribed after a year or so away, and I was never really into doing the dungeons because of the slim margin of error marauders seemed to have before messing the whole party up. So it looks like I'm level 28 MRD and I've done everything solo there is left to do and all I have an option for is doing Titan in the Navel. But not only am I dreading that but I don't really remember how to play. Is there a good way to refresh yourself about the ins and outs of your class and just have a good solo time, even if you've exhausted your options?

Valor

wuttttttt

GCD skill with a cast time and TP cost is not inherently superior to free oGCD with no cast time. If there is any chance of a DoT ticking during the Heavy Shot cast when you have BL up, you should absolutely clip to get BL out. old math, I think the increase in crit this tier weights more heavily in BL's favor.

Buffing BL potency does nothing the address situations where a DoT tick will happen before your next oGCD window, since it's already a gain there, and the degree to which they'd have to buff BL potency to make it worth it to push a GCD when it couldn't reset before the next oGCD window would be essentially broken levels of OP. And doing that has the net effect of making Bard play worse. Nerfing BL would require ground up class rebalance since the crit double dip is one of the few parts of Bard that survived into HW Undamaged.

The stack mechanic for BL makes more sense to me--let you hold the charge between GCDs so you're not stuck with the current situation of clipping or losing DPS--and I also like the proposed application potency buff for VB and WB because they can address the fight design issue. Position it such that manual VB+WB application is still a potency loss over IJ+HS, but is closer, so Bard's sustained dummy numbers don't move but fights that force constant reapplication because #mechanics see a natural boost.
The very idea that you're talking about IF a dot ticks when your HS would be casting THEN you should clip GCD with BL is exactly what makes Bard kind of shit right now. I think that lends more credence to the idea that buffing BL is what should happen, since it should always be a gain over only being a gain if your reset happens just before a 2 second window when the tick would occur. You're still not spinning your GCD which is not a great thing, albeit I can see the argument that it's less of a detriment to bard since lol rotation.

Not too sure how I feel about a stacking BL, but it does solve the problem of "I want to use this before I proc another one and flush 150 potency down the drain because fuck you cast times" and I'm in favor of increasing potency on dot applications so it's not as huge of a loss to keep having to reapply in fights with multiple targets. Of course I also agree that IJ should still outweight that dot application potency as well.

But Heavy Shot is still important to use a lot because proccing SS makes the rotation flow better so you can SS proc into EA and not clip GCDs too terribly much. Not to mention that each proc is an auto crit, which is never a bad thing. Otherwise it just feels like a downwards spiral of DPS and you're trying to keep traction while the class works against you.

Maybe stacking BL is the best option here. I wonder if suddenly going from missing a handful of BLs to missing no BLs if Bard shoots up the rankings. Having a 150 oGCD attack that you can weave between any attacks with no detriments as long as you don't hit stack cap is kind of OP as well, in my mind. Don't you think so?

iammeiam

The very idea that you're talking about IF a dot ticks when your HS would be casting THEN you should clip GCD with BL is exactly what makes Bard kind of shit right now. I think that lends more credence to the idea that buffing BL is what should happen, since it should always be a gain over only being a gain if your reset happens just before a 2 second window when the tick would occur.

The problem with this is that numerically what you'd have to do to Bloodletter makes no sense. Delaying skill usage is only a potency loss because it costs you a usage of the skill over the course of the fight. Delaying BL if there's no proc chance before your next usage window isn't a DPS loss because of BL's inherent potency, it's because delaying BL isn't going to cost you a BL usage in the vast majority of situations. If it's not going to be up again next GCD, you almost always lose nothing by holding it for next GCD. It's a piddly potency loss because it's hypotethetically possible to never get River of Blood and thus have to wait out the 15 second CD on the skill, but it's so statistically rare the realized loss is like 3% of the attack's potency. You'd have to increase BL potency an obscene amount (like, multiple times current) to have the tiny fractional damage loss of pushing when reset isn't possible outstrip losing half a second on your GCD. BL doesn't follow normal oGCD rules because If River of Blood.

Not too sure how I feel about a stacking BL, but it does solve the problem of "I want to use this before I proc another one and flush 150 potency down the drain because fuck you cast times" and I'm in favor of increasing potency on dot applications so it's not as huge of a loss to keep having to reapply in fights with multiple targets. Of course I also agree that IJ should still outweight that dot application potency as well.

Stacking BL also allows for some interesting delayed burst strategizing. Flow + burst fixes solve a lot for me.

Maybe stacking BL is the best option here. I wonder if suddenly going from missing a handful of BLs to missing no BLs if Bard shoots up the rankings. Having a 150 oGCD attack that you can weave between any attacks with no detriments as long as you don't hit stack cap is kind of OP as well, in my mind. Don't you think so?

A lot depends on how many Bloodletters the average Bard is dropping. Introducing a stack mechanic doesn't eliminate the GCD clip issue entirely, it just reduces it. At some point decisions to clip still need to be made if you're sitting on an almost-full stack and oGCDs are coming up. If they were to settle on a two or three stack, it basically buys some breathing room and frees up the flow slightly while keeping pressure on to use BL procs since stacks would cap rapidly. Proc chances remain unchanged, you see a boost from people strategizing their banked procs to align with buffs, and a lot comes down to how the fights themselves work. It could end up OP, but in an idealized dummy situation getting to fully use those procs wasn't making Bard crazy overpowered, so I don't think it would be as ruinous as like... 800 potency Bloodletter.

Tiops

BRD lost the burst potential it had? I had BRD as my main in ARR and I remember stealing aggro from tanks pretty easily with my opener. Using all the buffs and X-Pots with Barrage was beautiful ;_;

suzu

I'm in a weird situation, I just resubscribed after a year or so away, and I was never really into doing the dungeons because of the slim margin of error marauders seemed to have before messing the whole party up. So it looks like I'm level 28 MRD and I've done everything solo there is left to do and all I have an option for is doing Titan in the Navel. But not only am I dreading that but I don't really remember how to play. Is there a good way to refresh yourself about the ins and outs of your class and just have a good solo time, even if you've exhausted your options?

Check out the Hall of the Novice (npc is located in any of the Adventurers' guilds) and look up some tanking guides or videos. Or level up a DPS class if tanking in dungeons is too much.

scy

The problem right now is that even if the fights were tailored to Bards they would do less damage.

I feel like this is the worst misconception in this entire thing.

BRD lost the burst potential it had? I had BRD as my main in ARR and I remember stealing aggro from tanks pretty easily with my opener. Using all the buffs and X-Pots with Barrage was beautiful ;_;

No, they still have it. It's more that there's more competition.

iammeiam

They still have burst, but MCH took over as burst king (lemme grab threat then laugh when you Provoke before Wildfire.) Dummy wise it works out because Bard has better damage during non-burst periods, but Midas is ridiculously MCH burst friendly due to how the fights work out (between robot downtime, Quickthinx flying off for low to no damage spots, etc.) Being able to stack Bloodletters would give Bard some burst flexibility.

Top Bottom