• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

I don't know why they're so reluctant to let Astrologians to change Sects while in battle. That and giving them something to make it easier to sustain dps (with MP management or another mechanc) would make AST+WHM comps more viable and I don't think it would be too overpowered. Maybe adjust the potencies of the damaging skills taking into account the raid dps increase the cards give.

The Spread change is pretty nice I guess.

Village

I thought the roe folks , looked cool. I liked the women.

My allegiance lies with Au Ra

because I can be black lizard satan.

This is what I need.

SkyOdin

Where can I find the casual clothing everyone glamours with? I'm kind of tired of wearing armor all the time.

Stuff like the Ul'dhn and Limsan styled clothes can be bought for relatively cheap amounts of MGP at the Gold Saucer. Past that, most of it is crafted. If you do a search for armor that can be equipped by level 1 characters of any class, you will be able to find pretty much all of it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Wow, more than a year away from this game and I felt like I had forgotten how to play/was scared of having to tank Titan in the Navel...but I just tried to tank Haukke Manor for practice and I pretty kept enmity on me the whole way through. Any tips for someone still creaky having to tank Titan?

Stuff like the Ul'dhn and Limsan styled clothes can be bought for relatively cheap amounts of MGP at the Gold Saucer. Past that, most of it is crafted. If you do a search for armor that can be equipped by level 1 characters of any class, you will be able to find pretty much all of it.
Cool, thanks.

SkyOdin

Wow, more than a year away from this game and I felt like I had forgotten how to play/was scared of having to tank Titan in the Navel...but I just tried to tank Haukke Manor for practice and I pretty kept enmity on me the whole way through. Any tips for someone still creaky having to tank Titan?

Main Tanking Titan is a hell of a lot easier than DPSing or Healing against him, because he doesn't aim most of his attacks at the Tank. All the Tank needs to do is stand at the edge of the arena and hold aggro. Now, if you are against Titan Hard Mode with weak gear, or if you are up against Titan Extreme, it helps to know his rotation enough to use defensive cooldowns before Titan uses Mountain Buster. However, I don't think that move is particularly deadly in Titan Normal.

Omni

Got my CUL to level 50!

Okay, I cheated. Someone gave me a couple hundred HQ items in exchange for a spare music scroll that I had. Just had to turn them in. Crafting is actually kinda fun, but it seems so expensive to maintain. Dunno. Either way dat Moogle mount will be mine!

Will level my weaver next... maybe. The proper way, of course xD

Leveled BLM to 60 and now working on BRD.

makes a change not having to cast attacts.
tumblr_m1rq5zMHtz1qcjk35.gif

Robin64

Is there a guide somewhere I could read in order to catch up? I stopped playing around 2.1 with ilevel 80.

Same place I stopped and then came back to HW at. The MSQ for 2.1 to 2.55 now gives all the gear you need to progress, you end up with a really nice set going into 3.0. No grinding like people had to do back in the day, just follow the story and you'll be at HW in no time.

Yu Narukami

Same place I stopped and then came back to HW at. The MSQ for 2.1 to 2.55 now gives all the gear you need to progress, you end up with a really nice set going into 3.0. No grinding like people had to do back in the day, just follow the story and you'll be at HW in no time.

What about after hitting HW? Is there a guide somewhere?

dramatis

Through Heavensward.
Like Robin mentioned above, if you follow the story you'll get to Heavensward eventually. If your gear is iffy then, the city in HW sells a basic set that will make you HW-ready. As you go through instances you'll probably also net some Poetics tomes, which is still tradeable in Mor Dhona at the vendor closest to the northeast exit.

If you haven't activated HW yet, that's fine, you just won't level during the patch story. The total exp from patch story nets you maybe 2 or 3 levels, but HW is fairly good about shelling out exp so you shouldn't have much problems leveling. You can wait until the story literally takes you all the way to Coerthas (there's an obvious point where they tell you to go to Ishgard) and then activate HW.

Getting through HW is pretty straightforward too, the story is better this time and exp is ok until maybe a certain area with Moogles. Around that time it's possible to unlock the Beast Tribe quests for Vath and get some extra exp then.

In HW proper, it's advisable to activate all the Aether Currents of an area before moving onto the next area in the story, that way you'll be able to fly in the area. In the patch coming in 2 days they're changing the locations of the Aether Currents to make them more friendly to newcomers, so the old guides might not be helpful anymore. Some Aether Currents are obtained through quests so keep that in mind.

Forgot to say, when you're new to HW it feels like the enemies are sponges because suddenly you're fighting things at your level again. Having your chocobo with you and a stash of Gyshal Greens helps.

Yu Narukami

Like Robin mentioned above, if you follow the story you'll get to Heavensward eventually. If your gear is iffy then, the city in HW sells a basic set that will make you HW-ready. As you go through instances you'll probably also net some Poetics tomes, which is still tradeable in Mor Dhona at the vendor closest to the northeast exit.

If you haven't activated HW yet, that's fine, you just won't level during the patch story. The total exp from patch story nets you maybe 2 or 3 levels, but HW is fairly good about shelling out exp so you shouldn't have much problems leveling. You can wait until the story literally takes you all the way to Coerthas (there's an obvious point where they tell you to go to Ishgard) and then activate HW.

Getting through HW is pretty straightforward too, the story is better this time and exp is ok until maybe a certain area with Moogles. Around that time it's possible to unlock the Beast Tribe quests for Vath and get some extra exp then.

In HW proper, it's advisable to activate all the Aether Currents of an area before moving onto the next area in the story, that way you'll be able to fly in the area. In the patch coming in 2 days they're changing the locations of the Aether Currents to make them more friendly to newcomers, so the old guides might not be helpful anymore. Some Aether Currents are obtained through quests so keep that in mind.

Forgot to say, when you're new to HW it feels like the enemies are sponges because suddenly you're fighting things at your level again. Having your chocobo with you and a stash of Gyshal Greens helps.

Thanks for the nice write-up. Are there still story dungeons that require full parties?

Valor

Thanks for the nice write-up. Are there still story dungeons that require full parties?

Yup!
Throughout Heavensward there are dungeons at every odd level (51/53/55/57/59) that are all storybased. There are also two Primals that I believe are at level 53 and 57. The dungeons are four man parties, the Primals are eight.

There's nothing like Praetorium/Castrum from the end of the 2.x storyline, but there is a four man dungeon that serves as the end of the 3.0 plot, so that will be at level 60. After that is another small trial that's an 8 man group. Almost forgot about that.

Yu Narukami

Yup!
Throughout Heavensward there are dungeons at every odd level (51/53/55/57/59) that are all storybased. There are also two Primals that I believe are at level 53 and 57. The dungeons are four man parties, the Primals are eight.

There's nothing like Praetorium/Castrum from the end of the 2.x storyline, but there is a four man dungeon that serves as the end of the 3.0 plot, so that will be at level 60. After that is another small trial that's an 8 man group. Almost forgot about that.

I suppose people rush this dungeons and arent happy if you dont skip cutscenes.
How long would it take to catch up till now playing casually?

Heavensward doesn't have a dungeon equivalent to the end of 2.0 with Castrum I-can't-bother-to-check-the-spelling-of and Praetorium that is loaded with a ton of cutscenes that people rush through. This is one of the things the devs corrected with 3.0. Just let people know that you are new when you run the last dungeon and the last trial and you should have no problem.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Minor correction, but the 51 dungeon doesn't have anything to do with the main story- there is an aetherial current behind it, though, so skipping it is kind of self-defeating.

Redx508

Time to plan our ALL GAF run of Weeping City of Mhach. What would be a good time for both US and UK players to join? or should we do two runs one in the afternoon and one at night for when people come home from work?

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Time to plan our ALL GAF run of Weeping City of Mhach. What would be a good time for both US and UK players to join? or should we do two runs one in the afternoon and one at night for when people come home from work?

BST is 5 hours ahead of EST, though there's other non-UK euros as well (or so I am told!!!)

Heavensward doesn't have a dungeon equivalent to the end of 2.0 with Castrum I-can't-bother-to-check-the-spelling-of and Praetorium that is loaded with a ton of cutscenes that people rush through. This is one of the things the devs corrected with 3.0. Just let people know that you are new when you run the last dungeon and the last trial and you should have no problem.

The first time I went through Castrum I didn't fight anything because I was watching all the cutscenes while the rest of the party surged through. I am glad they have fixed that sort of thing in Heavensward (and the next expansion presumably) since it sucked not being able to fight the final boss proper and all that.

rubius01

Night would be good for me, and a bunch of people.

Do it on the weekend? Otherwise Euro gaf can't play with US gaf unless you got a bunch of graveyard shift workers in the US.

Well, that would be the most inclusive; the "specialness" of running a full GAF CT is that it would be the first time for almost everyone. So the fuckups are funny and you get the chance to timeout the raid.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Any time that works best for me (and most of US GAF) is probably going to screw over most of EuroGAF. With that said... 8 or 9 EST sounds nice to me.

deadeye

I am thinking about getting back in to this game. I haven't played this game since about Jan 2015. School and work got busy so I didn't have any time, and I let my subscription expired. I have several classes at lvl 50, blm, whm, scholar, summoner. I mostly played magic classes. Basically, what I am asking is should I get back and invest time in this game again? I don't have Heavensward, but willing to buy it. I don't even know if people from my FC is still playing, so I was wondering if I should just start over on a new server. I did really enjoy it, but found the Relic grind pretty tedious. Hopefully, with the expansion, I can just skip that and get better weapons. What say ye, GAF?

Squishy3

There's a cutscene when entering the dungeon, right before the final boss of the dungeon, and after beating the boss. It's nothing like Praetorium or Castrum Meridanium which had cutscenes sprinkled throughout the dungeon.

Valor

The answer to 1. Is no. People don't typically rush. They did a very smart thing this time around and put the lengthy story cutscenes at the end of story dungeons. The Aery (55) has a lengthy intro cutscene, but people just grin and bear it because you can't start the dungeon until everyone is ready anyway. It also has a long scene once you exit, so no one is impeded. The Vault (57) also has a lengthy cutscene once you exit, so there's no holding other people up at all!

The only other one is the story dungeon at 60, but most people are either running it for newbie bonus (so they're ready for cutscene length) or doing it willingly in some way. I would definitely not worry about skipping scenes for others. They're pretty bearable when they get in the way (which again is not often at all).

Catching up playing casually is a harder question to answer. It depends on how much time you spend, really, and how you spend it. I don't think it takes very long if you skip a bunch fo sidequests and stuff you may not need thanks to dungeon exp buff. I wouldn't even be able to begin to ballpark it since your mileage will vary for sure.
I vote for having a bunch of runs, absolutely. Afternoon and evening sounds great.

Ken

I am thinking about getting back in to this game. I haven't played this game since about Jan 2015. School and work got busy so I didn't have any time, and I let my subscription expired. I have several classes at lvl 50, blm, whm, scholar, summoner. I mostly played magic classes. Basically, what I am asking is should I get back and invest time in this game again? I don't have Heavensward, but willing to buy it. I don't even know if people from my FC is still playing, so I was wondering if I should just start over on a new server. I did really enjoy it, but found the Relic grind pretty tedious. Hopefully, with the expansion, I can just skip that and get better weapons. What say ye, GAF?

You could probably get your money's worth leveling your favorite classes to 60 and seeing the Heavensward trials and story quests. Relics are 100% skippable (even the new ones).

Coming from someone who only used the first/second stage of the relic for a short while before stopping it's definitely not required to play the later parts of the game.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
The only other one is the story dungeon at 60, but most people are either running it for newbie bonus (so they're ready for cutscene length) or doing it willingly in some way.

They've added ARF to the Lv60 roulette in 3.2 though.

aceface

ok so for Weeping City of Mhach lets try for 4pm and 8pm EST

For the late one can you push it to 9pm est? If it's going to be that late anyways might as well go another hour later and try to get the Pacific people in (also I'll be able to make it)

Well the good news is that when I uninstalled this game last September it didn't uninstall the document files. So if I do end up reinstalling this game and giving it another try all of my gearset and macros will still be intact.

Top Bottom