• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

ebil

I thought only the services they listed would be down. Kind of upset since I lose a day of anima grinding but also happy I don't have to do it.

So this'll be my first day 1 of new content, do people normally just wing it since no one knows the mechanics?
Yeah, and going blind is one of my favourite things. Although you'll probably meet that guy who asks you read a guide one hour into the patch but people usually ignore them.

Tiops

I'm happy that Red Scrip tokens are useless for the new items :D . I won't kill myself for not hoarding them in the past weeks now.

Now to check how fucking terrible will be to get those Luminous Fibers.

Yeah, and going blind is one of my favourite things. Although you'll probably meet that guy who asks you read a guide one hour into the patch but people usually ignore them.
Yea, I've always wanted to go blind when everyone else is. I assume it won't last long thought since a lot will blaze through the content.

Somehow I thought maintenance would start tomorrow. :-O

Silly me. Was already weekly capped on the thing I wanted to be capped on anyway (lore).

aceface

Ok, actually laughed out loud at this one:

Wind-up Cheerleader Minion Oh, I think that you've found yourself a cheerleader.
Use to summon your cheerleader minion.

Cmagus

I like that the older red scrip crafting gear is now blue scrips so now I can finally catch up on all my classes.

Also

Twilight over Thanalan Orchestrion Roll

Looks like the primals for the new batch of orchestrion songs are Moogles and Leviathan.

Sifl

If the new extreme trial drops 235 weapons what weapon damage would they have? Isn't 230->240 only 1 weapon damage?

If the new extreme trial drops 235 weapons what weapon damage would they have? Isn't 230->240 only 1 weapon damage?
The i235 weapon should have the same WD as the i240 weapons but with less substats, I'm told.

Also how much WD you get per ilvl jump depends on the job.

dramatis

Cheers fellow citizens

General points of interest for 3.3
SHm5N3r.jpg

creid

fffffff

I wasn't expecting new red scrip tokens since they didn't change in 3.2, and turned all my red scrips into the old red scrip tokens the other day. I wanted to be ahead ;.;

Ogawa-san

What are the odds HW will be discounted during the next Steam sale (in a couple weeks)?

I thought I could hold on getting it until my SCH got to 50, but I'll get there in a couple days.

I'm at lv34 and ready to do Titan, what's left after that in order to get into Heavensward?

You're a long way from Heavensward. You still have to do all the main game stuff, then the crap ton of content that came out in later patches, then you'll have Heavensward, then the crap ton of stuff there is to do after the main Heavensward scenario is done.

FFXIV is one MMO where there is an absolute ton of stuff for new players to do, in terms of story content and optional dungeons and stuff.

Look forward to it.

ebil

I'm happy to have never exchanged my Lore SMN Grimoire, pretty much all of our raiding nights got cancelled for the past week. :<

I'm starting to lean toward resubbing after almost a year of not playing the game. I'm gonna be so out of it. Hell I might as well just switch to keyboard and mouse now since I've been away for so long.

deadeye

I'm starting to lean toward resubbing after almost a year of not playing the game. I'm gonna be so out of it. Hell I might as well just switch to keyboard and mouse now since I've been away for so long.

Come back and join me. I'm doing the same thing, though I'm thinking of starting a new character. I paid for a month subscription just to test and see if I really want to devote my time to this again, and my server is completely dead. I only have one friend on my friends list, and my FC no longer exists. =(

Anyone knows the most active servers? May be beneficial just to transfer my character if I can.

Thorgal

Come back and join me. I'm doing the same thing, though I'm thinking of starting a new character. I paid for a month subscription just to test and see if I really want to devote my time to this again, and my server is completely dead. I only have one friend on my friends list, and my FC no longer exists. =(

Anyone knows the most active servers? May be beneficial just to transfer my character if I can.

are you NA or EU ?

iammeiam

It's dumb they are buffing Ramuh and Bismark weapons.

Eh, crafted glamour weapons aren't the worst thing. Ramuh's stuff looks nice and there's some decent potential for nifty electricity effects.

Bismarck weapons... I dunno.

I am a little surprised we're apparently not getting the i220 crafted weapons they had ready to go for 3.2; at this point they're not going to be overpowered for anything and there's no real reason to prevent people from buying their way to i220 weapons now.

Thorgal

while trying to stave off going mad with waiting :

I am getting close to the ned of HW and ill be wearing a likely mix match off 140 gear .

what is the easiest way to go from there to the 220 level gear so i can do the Niddhog stuff and latest raid ?

Omni

I am getting close to the ned of HW and ill be wearing a likely mix match off 140 gear .

what is the easiest way to go from there to the 220 level gear so i can do the Niddhog stuff and latest raid ?
Probably eso grind to get your i200 stuff (shouldn't take long with your daily roulettes). From i175 you can do Void Ark to get i200 gear also. Then once you hit i200, you can do Alex Midas to get i220 gear - I think they're removing the weekly lockout on this today too.

While doing all of that, you'll also be getting Lore. So yanno. Don't waste eso on a chest if you're gonna replace it straight away with a Lore one.

Get to ilvl 145 so you can do level 60 dungeons. Get eso tomes for i200 gear till ilvl 175, then do Void Ark for more i200 gear and upgrades for the eso stuff until you hit ilvl 200. At that point do Gordias Normal then you unlock Midas Normal, which drops ilvl 220 gear. In the meantime you'll be getting lore tomes for new gear and I think you should be able to do the new raid as well.

The only thing you'll have trouble catching up is your weapon. It takes 7 weeks to get an ilvl 230 weapon without doing savage Midas so you're gonna have to work on beating Sephirot or Nidhogg Ex.

GAMERG0D

There are a few ways you can do this, The
Aetherochemical Research Facility
(last Heveansward dungeon requires il 145) is getting a bump to 150 esoterics per run, which you exchange for 200 gear, which allows you to run Alexander Midas when you have avg 200. But in order to do this you must complete Alexander Gordias which requires 170 avg item level to enter. Certain loot in Midas will be uncapped so you don't have to wait a week for more loot. You exchange Midas drops for 220. Alternatively once you hit average item level 180, you can run Void Ark which drops 200 gear that isn't capped weekly but you'll only get 100 esoterics per run, so you can risk not getting loot for 50 less esoterics compared to the
research facility.
Each run of Void Ark gives you a Farthing item, which lets you upgrade esoteric gear to 210, I recommend upgrading the esoteric weapon ASAP. For weapons getting a 230 one takes 7 weeks via Midas 4 capped drop without doing relic quest which will take longer than getting full 220 gear, new EX trial gives 235 weapon, esoteric exchange gives you a 200 weapon, doing Void Ark upgrades that to 210 so you'll have to deal with that. The new story dungeon requires il 200 and drops 215 I believe. I think you can get a 215 weapon here, to get 220 requires the patch 3.2 EX trial. You mentioned 220 so I just said that first. Getting to Midas requires doing the first part of Alexander which is 4 raids that should be 15 mins each not counting cutscenes. Based on the patch notes the new Void Ark raid drops 230 gear I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong. But you can only get 1 per week. A combination of these things should get you to 220 fast, getting to Midas will help.

So in summary, run
Research Facility
to get 150 esoterics each run to get item level 170 to run Alexander Gordias, then run
Research Facility
more (also the post Heavensward dungeons Pharos Sirius Hard and Arboreatum require il 170 but drop 185 gear if you want to hit that to reach Void Ark but you only get 60 esoterics per run but you also get a material each run to upgrade eso gear to 210. I think farming esos will be better tbh, prioritize getting esoteric weapon and chest piece first), once you get il 180 run Void Ark to upgrade esoteric gear to 210 and get 200 drops. Once you hit il 200 run Alexander Midas to get 220 loot. You can also run the new story dungeon once you hit an item level of 200 to get 215 gear, but you said 220 so I had to mention Midas. However you also said the new raid and Nidhogg, both those are avg 205 which you can get from upgrading eso gear and new story dungeon in 3.3 gives you 215. Nidhogg EX is 220, which you're going to need either a Sephirot EX weapon (you can now queue in the Duty Finder for this in 3.3), get 220 relic which takes a long ass time, or wait 7 weeks to get 7 Midan gears from Alexander Midas 4 combined with 1000 lore for a 230 weapon.

I think that's everything. Also I took a while typing this because I'm waiting for the patch. :p

Reading most recent posts, do your roulettes once you hit 60 so you can get esoterics that way too.

dramatis

There's an entire quest-line we have to go through for the Moogle quests?

Siiigh.
Not entirely.

You know the way beast tribe quests work? There's a 'story' setup quest that is basically a registration form to get in to do the repeatable daily quests until your reputation with the beast tribe hits the max amount for your rank. To rank up you do a new 'story' quest related to the beast tribe. That's how a beast tribe questline runs.

So you don't have to do all the story quests in one shot.

Sorian

Banned
Not entirely.

You know the way beast tribe quests work? There's a 'story' setup quest that is basically a registration form to get in to do the repeatable daily quests until your reputation with the beast tribe hits the max amount for your rank. To rank up you do a new 'story' quest related to the beast tribe. That's how a beast tribe questline runs.

So you don't have to do all the story quests in one shot.

One of those pre-reqs is a full 6-7 questline though that I at least had not done.

iammeiam

Just to throw in: if you have a decent chunk of gil from the leveling process, and you know a crafter, it might be worth looking into getting some i220 crafted stuff. The awkward grind gap between fresh 60 and the content people are currently running doesn't seem to have been smoothed much with 3.3, and being able to slap 220 in a couple of slots ASAP will let you meet some of the barrier iLevels faster and skip some of the grind.

GAMERG0D

Just to throw in: if you have a decent chunk of gil from the leveling process, and you know a crafter, it might be worth looking into getting some i220 crafted stuff. The awkward grind gap between fresh 60 and the content people are currently running doesn't seem to have been smoothed much with 3.3, and being able to slap 220 in a couple of slots ASAP will let you meet some of the barrier iLevels faster and skip some of the grind.
Oh yeah I forgot this, you can get 220 accessories crafted if you know somebody who is kind. Sadly I cannot do this since I have yet to start the blue scrip grind for my GSM gear. I'm glad they are changing red scrip gear to blue scrips and increasing blue scrips for item turn-ins.

Omni

Oh yeah. Crafted gear is good. Honestly if you're short on gil you don't even need HQ if you're going for just the item level bump. Then just replace it with Midas/Lore stuff when you can.

One of those pre-reqs is a full 6-7 questline though that I at least had not done.

Yeah, that's what I was referring to! Hopefully it's not too tedious xD

Squishy3

Oh yeah. Crafted gear is good. Honestly if you're short on gil you don't even need HQ if you're going for just the item level bump. Then just replace it with Midas/Lore stuff when you can.

Yeah, that's what I was referring to! Hopefully it's not too tedious xD
I think in 3.3 they're narrowing down the actual location the quest marker shows for the moogle hide and seek quests, so it won't be nearly as bad as when most of us did them. Plus also them making the twinkling objects on the ground you need to interact with easier to see from further away.

Thorgal

Probably eso grind to get your i200 stuff (shouldn't take long with your daily roulettes). From i175 you can do Void Ark to get i200 gear also. Then once you hit i200, you can do Alex Midas to get i220 gear - I think they're removing the weekly lockout on this today too.

While doing all of that, you'll also be getting Lore. So yanno. Don't waste eso on a chest if you're gonna replace it straight away with a Lore one.

Get to ilvl 145 so you can do level 60 dungeons. Get eso tomes for i200 gear till ilvl 175, then do Void Ark for more i200 gear and upgrades for the eso stuff until you hit ilvl 200. At that point do Gordias Normal then you unlock Midas Normal, which drops ilvl 220 gear. In the meantime you'll be getting lore tomes for new gear and I think you should be able to do the new raid as well.

The only thing you'll have trouble catching up is your weapon. It takes 7 weeks to get an ilvl 230 weapon without doing savage Midas so you're gonna have to work on beating Sephirot or Nidhogg Ex.

There are a few ways you can do this, The
Aetherochemical Research Facility
(last Heveansward dungeon requires il 145) is getting a bump to 150 esoterics per run, which you exchange for 200 gear, which allows you to run Alexander Midas when you have avg 200. But in order to do this you must complete Alexander Gordias which requires 170 avg item level to enter. Certain loot in Midas will be uncapped so you don't have to wait a week for more loot. You exchange Midas drops for 220. Alternatively once you hit average item level 180, you can run Void Ark which drops 200 gear that isn't capped weekly but you'll only get 100 esoterics per run, so you can risk not getting loot for 50 less esoterics compared to the
research facility.
Each run of Void Ark gives you a Farthing item, which lets you upgrade esoteric gear to 210, I recommend upgrading the esoteric weapon ASAP. For weapons getting a 230 one takes 7 weeks via Midas 4 capped drop without doing relic quest which will take longer than getting full 220 gear, new EX trial gives 235 weapon, esoteric exchange gives you a 200 weapon, doing Void Ark upgrades that to 210 so you'll have to deal with that. The new story dungeon requires il 200 and drops 215 I believe. I think you can get a 215 weapon here, to get 220 requires the patch 3.2 EX trial. You mentioned 220 so I just said that first. Getting to Midas requires doing the first part of Alexander which is 4 raids that should be 15 mins each not counting cutscenes. Based on the patch notes the new Void Ark raid drops 230 gear I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong. But you can only get 1 per week. A combination of these things should get you to 220 fast, getting to Midas will help.

So in summary, run
Research Facility
to get 150 esoterics each run to get item level 170 to run Alexander Gordias, then run
Research Facility
more (also the post Heavensward dungeons Pharos Sirius Hard and Arboreatum require il 170 but drop 185 gear if you want to hit that to reach Void Ark but you only get 60 esoterics per run but you also get a material each run to upgrade eso gear to 210. I think farming esos will be better tbh, prioritize getting esoteric weapon and chest piece first), once you get il 180 run Void Ark to upgrade esoteric gear to 210 and get 200 drops. Once you hit il 200 run Alexander Midas to get 220 loot. You can also run the new story dungeon once you hit an item level of 200 to get 215 gear, but you said 220 so I had to mention Midas. However you also said the new raid and Nidhogg, both those are avg 205 which you can get from upgrading eso gear and new story dungeon in 3.3 gives you 215. Nidhogg EX is 220, which you're going to need either a Sephirot EX weapon (you can now queue in the Duty Finder for this in 3.3), get 220 relic which takes a long ass time, or wait 7 weeks to get 7 Midan gears from Alexander Midas 4 combined with 1000 lore for a 230 weapon.

I think that's everything. Also I took a while typing this because I'm waiting for the patch. :p

Reading most recent posts, do your roulettes once you hit 60 so you can get esoterics that way too.

thanks guys .

Crafting won't be an issue .

Our FC leader has all his crafts and gatherers at 60 and as long as you bring the mats will craft everything for free .

Thought I bought the full game not long ago with a really cheap sale and it turns out I only bought the Heavensward expansion so I decided to say screw it and just get the full game along with it. This game is so very overwhelming for a first time player, I feel like I'm doing EVERYTHING wrong though I'm having a very fun time doing it. Great game.

So far I made myself a Hyur I think... Midlander or something like that? So far I progressed all the quests in Ul'dahn that sent me on an airship to Limsa Lominsa and did some quests there and spent a large amount of time grinding my mining stat to 22 for the hell of it. I think I'm level 21 as a GLD. Kinda want to work towards making my character a Paladin. I also don't know what I'm doing, but I'll just wing it.

Squishy3

Thought I bought the full game not long ago with a really cheap sale and it turns out I only bought the Heavensward expansion so I decided to say screw it and just get the full game along with it. This game is so very overwhelming for a first time player, I feel like I'm doing EVERYTHING wrong though I'm having a very fun time doing it. Great game.

So far I made myself a Hyur I think... Midlander or something like that? So far I progressed all the quests in Ul'dahn that sent me on an airship to Limsa Lominsa and did some quests there and spent a large amount of time grinding my mining stat to 22 for the hell of it. I think I'm level 21 as a GLD. Kinda want to work towards making my character a Paladin. I also don't know what I'm doing, but I'll just wing it.
To become a Paladin in the future at level 30, you'll need to level a conjurer to 15, and you can unlock the class by going to the conjurer's guild in Gridania (I highly recommend attuning yourself to all the aetheryte shards in each city-state, it'll save you a boatload of time in the future) and on conjurer you'll also get a +50% experience gain from anything you do thanks to your gladiator being a higher level than it.

If you haven't done it already, I recommend doing the Hall of the Novice (the game might force you to do this before entering the first dungeon, I don't remember) as it gives you an armor set that'll last you until level 20ish and a ring that increases the amount of experience you earn until level 30.

And this will surely be a handy resource for the future as you can look up to around what level you currently are and see if you missed any sidequests that unlock features along the way. And I don't mean to overwhelm you even more, just trying to give you some info that should be relevant for where you are in the game now.

Stuff isn't as complicated as one would think, it's fairly pretty straight forward, just there's a ton of stuff in the game now for a new player. If you have any specific questions you're free to ask them in here and someone will answer them.

Same boat, though it's been more like a year and a half maybe for me. Thinking once I beat a few more games I will be ready for mmo again. Though now I live in Japan so... wonder if pre-paid cards work on accounts across the board?

Squishy3

Same boat, though it's been more like a year and a half maybe for me. Thinking once I beat a few more games I will be ready for mmo again. Though now I live in Japan so... wonder if pre-paid cards work on accounts across the board?
You need to buy a card for the region the account is in, won't work the other way around. I'd assume you have a US account.

Top Bottom