• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Squishy3

Having been through the first phase of Nidhogg's Rage before servers went down for maintenance, yeah, can definitely see how it's easier than Seph EX.

Omni

Having been through the first phase of Nidhogg's Rage before servers went down for maintenance, yeah, can definitely see how it's easier than Seph EX.

To be fair, the first phase seems to be the easiest part of Nidhogg, in contrast to Seph's which is the hardest part of that fight.

Robin64

Selling a stack of 99 Brute Leech bait for over 200k seems almost criminal. It takes no time at all to catch a few IlluminatI Perch from just outside Idleshire. But hey, if people want to pay, who am I to stop them.

Omni

I dunno where to even start with this relic step. The items required are so... obscure. And the amount of said items is ridiculous. Like who is honestly going to grind old primals for the chance at those drops? Or run through Void Ark 180 times and buy a million Allagan catalysts whose price has inflated a hundred fold since the patch.

I appreciate the different options available but it leaves a lot to be desired. Seems like for the average player, the most efficient thing is to grind poetics for the thav mists and ink. Add in the eso for the sands and you're grinding out another 50k tomes in total or something. Again. How fun. (this step wouldn't be as bad if poetics weren't still such a pain in the arse to get). At least before we could also do Alex which was guaranteed progress.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I dunno where to even start with this relic step. The items required are so... obscure. And the amount of said items is ridiculous. Like who is honestly going to grind old primals for the chance at those drops? Or run through Void Ark 180 times and buy a million Allagan catalysts whose price has inflated a hundred fold since the patch.

I appreciate the different options available but it leaves a lot to be desired. Seems like for the average player, the most efficient thing is to grind poetics for the thav mists and ink. Add in the eso for the sands and you're grinding out another 50k tomes in total or something. Again. How fun. (this step wouldn't be as bad if poetics weren't still such a pain in the arse to get). At least before we could also do Alex which was guaranteed progress.

I am just using my leves for Amber and will spend poetics if I happen to come across them while naturually playing. I will also sell any extra junk gear I come across for GC seals. The daily crafting turn ins also give some seals.

I think I will mostly get stuck waiting on accumulating esos.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, Esoterics are by far the hardest part- leves are easy as hell, blue scrips are easy if you have gathering classes that high, and poetics work as a supplement as you get it during your eso grind.

Nobody is forcing anyone to do the relic. I actually think the variety in this patch for the relic is much better than those 80/80 things we had to do. But hey, maybe I'm crazy.

Edit: I'm really enjoying PLD now.... overpulling is just so fun. I can over pull on my WAR but not as much. I enjoy both but WAR is better and more fun. Still, I kinda enjoy them both at a equal rate. I think I'm gonna do dark knight next but eh, I don't know yet.

So even if I were stupid enough to pay the equivalent of 4 sub months in my currency to get the maid outfit, Amazon won't even let me do that because they aren't accepting foreign credit cards for digital items

Why live

tgl3

Neo Member
I'd been unsubbed since 3.2 and came back for this patch. So far so good, but I forgot how bad some players are:

Ran through Final Steps with my FC yesterday. Cool fight and fairly easy. Just AoE dodging and a DPS check or two. Some occasional panic healing but nothing I couldn't handle.

Another FC member piped up later that night saying he'd tried for 4 hours without a clear because DF was bad. I refused to believe him and queued up (he went PLD I play AST). Had some new people, so I explained basic mechanics (dodge aoe, watch for middle add's cleave etc).

It took 5 wipes to clear the fight because people kept standing in AoEs or in front of the wild add in phase 1-2 transition and being murdered and failing the dps check.

We got it in the end, but the fight really isn't that difficult? How are people this... not good... at the game.

Don't get me started on Wiping City. Doesn't matter how many times we explain Ozma's mechanics, people just die and die and die. If we do clear it, we don't have the time for the final boss.

Hildebrand quest was top notch though.

ebil

Nobody is forcing anyone to do the relic. I actually think the variety in this patch for the relic is much better than those 80/80 things we had to do. But hey, maybe I'm crazy.
The so-called variety is mostly fluff here because it's gated by two ends: one has such stupid variety on top of being trivial that it might as well not exist, and the other is just a (rather substantial) eso grind. I'm not a fan of how they did it, it would have been more balanced had there been other ways to get Umbrite.

Not like anyone needs a relic anyway, and it'll just complete itself over time.

So if I get someone to craft something for me do I need to get them the crystals as well?
I personally like when people provide the crystals if I'm crafting for free.

The so-called variety is mostly fluff here because it's gated by two ends: one has such stupid variety on top of being trivial that it might as well not exist, and the other is just a (rather substantial) eso grind. I'm not a fan of how they did it, it would have been more balanced had there been other ways to get Umbrite.

Not like anyone needs a relic anyway, and it'll just complete itself over time.

I'll be very brutally honest but I think the relic is ENTIRELY optional. The only reason I am doing it is because of rarity, stats, and because I never did the old Zeta before it was nerfed. I do agree with you about the esoterics grind and how you can only trade items all at once, but if you do this every day.... it shouldn't take very long. It is best not to think about it and just have it as a goal for yourself. In fact, the relic is one of my goals in this game.... to get it to Anima Zeta someday without waiting for a nerf.

ebil

No, it's not bad. I don't think the i210 was that bad either tbh or I wouldn't have multiple relics. I'm just pointing out that the way they did it does not strike me a having a good balance.

No, it's not bad. I don't think the i210 was that bad either tbh or I wouldn't have multiple relics. I'm just pointing out that the way they did it does not strike me a having a good balance.

One of my friends has three at hyperconductive level. She's got all classes including crafters at 60 though. I think it is just a matter of time spent on the game. Sometimes I can't even do a roulette or two because it is boring.

Jaeyden

So if I get someone to craft something for me do I need to get them the crystals as well?

Crystals and clusters are no different than any other mat IMO.I have to collect that stuff and even with Aetherial reductions I run low all the time crafting for scrips and income. If I'm crafting for someone for free..yeah they better bring crystals.

Garlador

I did the new Hildibrand quest last night...

I've been like this all last night and this morning.
mr-burns-laughing.gif

Ok, the maid dream might still be alive, now I need something to buy at Amazon. I assume the NA bonus code is not tied to a specific country but can be used in any "The Americas" region account, right?
Well guess I need crystals too then, I wasn't even aware you could give trade them.

So I'm assuming you do a trade when someone crafts for you, right?
Yeah, you can just drag them out of your crystal stash like normal items

JORMBO

Darkness no more
What stats should I be putting into my AST relic? Should I cap ACC?

Been doing spellspeed and crit so far.

So yesterday I completed the new MSQ stuff.

Fucking amazing end to the Heavensward storyline.

The game just keeps getting better and better imo.

I almost teared up when
Haurchebro and Ysayle appeared to help out.

Also thanks to GAF for helping me with Final Steps of Faith. Fortunately I only wiped the group once and managed to pull it together afterwards.

ebil

What stats should I be putting into my AST relic? Should I cap ACC?

Been doing spellspeed and crit so far.
I'll probably go Crit/PIE for AST. Spell Speed is alright. Accuracy if that's something you care about and you don't play other healers. At the end of the day secondaries matter very little for healers so go with what you prefer.

K.Sabot

With news that Destiny has already dropped PS3 / 360 support, I really hope XIV drops it with the next expac. Maybe it will allow for some more interesting encounter designs.

Squishy3

I've got too many crystal, shards and clusters as is. If no one provides them for me, fine with me. Mats are all I care about
I've just started crafting, but I've decided fuck going out of my way to gather cluisters now. If you see a treasure goblin in Aquapolis he drops a boatload of clusters.

Cleared Mhach just now! Any tips for the final boss? I died a lot. She's a bad bad bitch. Bu yeah, I know some stuff but I need to do the fight more. Definitely harder than she was in FFV xD

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Cleared Mhach just now! Any tips for the final boss? I died a lot. She's a bad bad bitch. Bu yeah, I know some stuff but I need to do the fight more. Definitely harder than she was in FFV xD

Stand under Axe tails, ignore Bud tails
Haircut direction is easy to tell if you actually look at the boss animation, her hair turns into a scythe way before she casts the move.
People say penetration pulls away if you look away and pulls close if you look towards the boss, I haven't had a chance to test that since I've only done that fight once and got my stuff.

People say penetration pulls away if you look away and pulls close if you look towards the boss, I haven't had a chance to test that since I've only done that fight once and got my stuff.

I've heard that it pulls you towards wherever you're facing, but haven't tested yet.

Arizato

Just finished the Final Steps of Faith.

Story spoilers:
The part where ghosts helped you pull out the eyes through the power of friendship was incredibly cheesy and just plain bad. This is coming from someone who likes Kingdom Hearts.

All in all the story had it's moments but it was a bit disappointing in terms of closure.

aceface

Story spoilers:
The part where ghosts helped you pull out the eyes through the power of friendship was incredibly cheesy and just plain bad. This is coming from someone who likes Kingdom Hearts.

This opinion is bad and you should feel bad.
I teared up a little bit

Story spoilers:

All in all the story had it's moments but it was a bit disappointing in terms of closure.
How attached were you to them? I liked the moment, but I felt like my pc (and me by extension) were close to the characters.
This opinion is bad and you should feel bad.
He should but we should be accepting of it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Story spoilers:

I liked that part.

Sorian

Banned

Story spoilers:

Haurchefant is my bro and I had feels at seeing him again even if it was cheesy.

Arizato

How attached were you to them? I liked the moment, but I felt like my pc (and me by extension) were close to the characters.

Not that much to be honest, considering one of them was kind of an asshole at first and then became somewhat friendly while still having her own agenda.

Never found Haurchefant that appealing in the first place either.

It's not the fact that they are there which bothers me. It's the fact that they were shoved in there because they died and not in really meaningful ways. Their deaths weren't directly attached to the eyes. I wouldn't mind it as much if their deaths had a direct connection to the eyes and this was their chance at "retribution". They just died in the war, which tons of other people also did.

I just felt it was a little forced.

If you guys liked it, it's completely fine with me. I am not here to crap on anyone else's opinions.

I cared a hell of a lot more for Haurchfaunt and Ysayle than anyone in the Kingdom Hearts series. Not to mention the Kingdom Hearts series' overall narrative is so laughably bad.

Oh, and both characters died to protect the Warrior of Light, so I thought it fitting both their afterimages were there to aid the WoL one last time.

Arizato

I cared a hell of a lot more for Haurchfaunt and Ysayle than anyone in the Kingdom Hearts series. Not to mention the Kingdom Hearts series' overall narrative is so laughably bad.

Oh, and both characters died to protect the Warrior of Light, so I thought it fitting both their afterimages were there to aid the WoL one last time.

Absolutely, I can agree with you on KH, but that game actually goes on about the cheesy friendship stuff all the time. If you continue playing it after realizing that you know what to expect. KH's story is built around that stuff.

What about them exactly makes you and Alphinaud stronger to the point where you can pull out the eyes? It's never really explained, they just appear, help out and then they are gone.

Not that much to be honest, considering one of them was kind of an asshole at first and then became somewhat friendly while still having her own agenda.

Never found Haurchefant that appealing in the first place either.

It's not the fact that they are there which bothers me. It's the fact that they were shoved in there because they died and not in really meaningful ways. Their deaths weren't directly attached to the eyes. I wouldn't mind it as much if their deaths had a direct connection to the eyes and this was their chance at "retribution". They just died in the war, which tons of other people also did.

I just felt it was a little forced.
I think that's why you felt the way you did. For me
I looked at Haurchefant as very close friend because he was always there for me and just felt like a bro and Ysayle I looked at as a rival who eventually became a very good friend. Losing both of em sucked like hell but to see them again was great. If we would've lost Estinien too I'd be pissed since he's another character I'm attached to since I've been with him for awhile as a Dragoon.

Top Bottom