• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

MogCakes

SPOILERS

When Unukalhai talks about 'another star' and auracite, is he referencing Ivalice/FFXII/Tactics and the Occurians? This would mean that he or his master are privy to other FF worlds and can possibly traverse the void.

Omni

I've been in Nidhogg ex four times now. Twice with my static (probably about two hours in total) and twice with random PFs. Really struggle to get past fang and claw for some reason. I mean on paper it sounds easy. Red take damage. Blue avoid it. But it just seems rather messy. I dunno.

Only a week in, I suppose. But I'm beginning to doubt my chances of clearing any time soon. At least with random people. Reminds me of hitting the meteor 'wall' in early Thordan parties.

Nohar

Slowly but surely catching up 6 months of absence here. I will probably play for a month and drop the game again. I'm still a "little" peeved about several things in the game (such as the housing and some outragous timesinks - there is no way I am going to farm for a relic weapon or do 2000 dungeons as a mentor for a mount), but it still is an enjoyable MMO. At least I am happy to play again with my friends.

Also, I like that the new raid is actually difficult, for a change. Things will get easier quickly once everyone catch on the mecanics.

ebil

I've been in Nidhogg ex four times now. Twice with my static (probably about two hours in total) and twice with random PFs. Really struggle to get past fang and claw for some reason. I mean on paper it sounds easy. Red take damage. Blue avoid it. But it just seems rather messy. I dunno.

Only a week in, I suppose. But I'm beginning to doubt my chances of clearing any time soon. At least with random people. Reminds me of hitting the meteor 'wall' in early Thordan parties.
What problems are you running into during this part?

Third rotation? Wow. Every group I was in kills him early in the second one (or dies to sable price).
2 of the DPS couldn't stay alive at all during the final phase (BLM ended the fight with a mighty 500 DPS), and we still managed to kill him during the enrage cast, lol. No wonder there are more sales than clear parties on my server.

After an hour and a half, my static was able to get to the final phase of Nidhogg EX, fight seems a tad easier than Seph EX and Thordan EX (Thordan still tougher because too many flashing light attacks at once!)

SPOILERS

When Unukalhai talks about 'another star' and auracite, is he referencing Ivalice/FFXII/Tactics and the Occurians? This would mean that he or his master are privy to other FF worlds and can possibly traverse the void.

Auracite is the same stuff used in Tactics/FFXII IIRC so I'd say yes.

suzu

SPOILERS

That's what I thought too. :eek:

Wilsongt

SPOILERS

Probably.
considering ascians are named after the Scions of Light from the Espers in 12, and based on some information YoshiP laughed at in an interview, it's safe to say that Ivalice sits in another star in the lore.

I dunno why the devs keep lowballing the ilvl requirement for DF content, most i205 DF players are not going to be able to handle Nidhogg NM lol

Sifl

Saw a Drk in Nidhogg with all 230 slaying lore accessories with all his points in str. Someone missed the memo apparently.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Damn, I got my way up to the Lv41 dungeon, and I'm realizing that I just cannot tank properly with a controller in that place. The target switching with the bumper and dpad just gets so convoluted when your focus has to shift to other groups, and I couldn't even make it through the first few rooms of that one. Anyone else feel like they hit a wall with their ability to play with a controller?

Thorgal

Damn, I got my way up to the Lv41 dungeon, and I'm realizing that I just cannot tank properly with a controller in that place. The target switching with the bumper and dpad just gets so convoluted when your focus has to shift to other groups, and I couldn't even make it through the first few rooms of that one. Anyone else feel like they hit a wall with their ability to play with a controller?

Stone vigil was the first dungeon where i felt my controller tanking skills where put to the test .

that said , i did take it slow and steady so i never hit a wall.

Thorgal

This house belongs to the Bancho, thats me ,so get lost !

ffxiv_12062016_0133242erzs.jpg

ffxiv_12062016_015115nsrmm.jpg

ffxiv_12062016_01515394p0e.jpg

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I read that if you unequip gear to have a lower ilvl prior to queuing for DR: Trials you can avoid getting things like Nidhogg. Why did I not know this before.

Zomba13

I read that if you unequip gear to have a lower ilvl prior to queuing for DR: Trials you can avoid getting things like Nidhogg. Why did I not know this before.

:O

That makes so much sense but I never realised it!

Of course they wouldn't match you into something like Nidhogg because you don't have the required ilvl but it will still let you roulette because you've unlocked the fight.

I'm really liking Machinist. Got the Rook autoturret and I feel like I'm starting to get a handle on the general flow of it although I still need to look at some guides for more specific information.

Really?

I don't see what's so difficult about Stone Vigil in terms of tanking.

This is coming from someone who just uses R2+L1 for targeting things. I don't bother using the DPad for targetting enemies.

did he make a new one? i did his one from gordias on pad and it was fine

For 3.26

Just tried it out after reading it a few times, meh, pretty easy since I'm so used to the buttons for ninja but doing it in instances might be a tad different with pesky lag, we'll see.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
MCH's principal rotation sets in by level 40.
It's not like BLM where you just have to forget everything you thought you know.

Well yeah, but it's a big change. You'll have to be a lot more deliberate with bullets, OGCDs and your procs to keep your mobility up.

It's not hard but worrying about the ins and outs of MCH before it is a waste. Plus most guides will just ignore pre Gauss MCH.

I didn't consider that you can't use OGCDs during cast animations so I suppose that will be a big change.

I think the guides are still useful at least for what's to come. Like using damage cooldowns with Wildfire so most of them will be up in time for the next one or the one after in the case of Raging Strikes. These are things that I think are good to look at ahead of time. When I get Gauss Barrel I'll only have to figure out how to manuever with that as opposed to dealing with that in addition to the nuances of the class that a guide can reveal to me.

Machinist might just replace Paladin as my main class. Unless Yoshi-p lets them do this in the expansion

In which case I will scoot right back.

I didn't consider that you can't use OGCDs during cast animations so I suppose that will be a big change.

I think the guides are still useful at least for what's to come. Like using damage cooldowns with Wildfire so most of them will be up in time for the next one or the one after in the case of Raging Strikes. These are things that I think are good to look at ahead of time. When I get Gauss Barrel I'll only have to figure out how to manuever with that as opposed to dealing with that in addition to the nuances of the class that a guide can reveal to me.
Oh, definitely, I'm just saying that kind of stuff is easier to learn at 60 because your gameplan flows better once all your OGCDs are avaiable since their cooldowns will keep you on track between strong and weak Wildfires.

aceface

Ultros is not super busy but it's not a dead server either. You're usually looking at 8-10 pf's up on a good night. Ex primal learning parties, clear parties, fate parties, people looking for their alex savage clear for the week, etc. I think it's pretty middle of the road as far as servers go.

Edit: one other thing about Unkhalailiaiai, since he is conspicuously masked, is he potentially the new race for the expansion?

MogCakes

Finally finished Weeping City with literally 5 seconds left in the raid.

To say the reactions were off the charts is an understatement.

Nice! The group I was in cleared it literally at the last second, people were in disbelief. People seem to be having a hard time with the mechanics. I'm reminded of LotA days and King Behemoth.

Omni

What problems are you running into during this part?
Probably my biggest issue at the moment is the rotation of damage. I'm a white mage, so I'm trying to figure out how to heal it effectively. As far as I can tell, it goes orbs > tank buster > stack... repeat. The orbs hit for quite a bit, so I need to get an AoE heal off before the stack while at the same time dealing with the tank buster and making sure the tank doesn't get squished. Suppose it just takes a bit of practise. I made it to the final phase tonight, but I'm still not happy with that section.

As for the groups I've been with, it's just a problem of blue getting hit too much and failing the DPS check. I saw someone mention that the tank should bring Nidhogg over to the blue nail so he can help with that, but I dunno. Does Nidhogg cleave at all during that phase?

ebil

Probably my biggest issue at the moment is the rotation of damage. I'm a white mage, so I'm trying to figure out how to heal it effectively. As far as I can tell, it goes orbs > tank buster > stack... repeat. The orbs hit for quite a bit, so I need to get an AoE heal off before the stack while at the same time dealing with the tank buster and making sure the tank doesn't get squished. Suppose it just takes a bit of practise. I made it to the final phase tonight, but I'm still not happy with that section.

As for the groups I've been with, it's just a problem of blue getting hit too much and failing the DPS check. I saw someone mention that the tank should bring Nidhogg over to the blue nail so he can help with that, but I dunno. Does Nidhogg cleave at all during that phase?
I've only healed this fight as SCH but I make sure to heal everyone with Indomitability and Succor prior to stacking. Indom will be up for both.

I don't think he cleaves during this phase? I've seen tanks helping out with the blue nail in videos but we've always tanked him apart from everything else and our MT didn't help. For progress' sake, it might be useful to LB the nail if you don't see your group making it DPS-wise as the enrage is super lenient anyway.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Well what's the scholar doing? There should be an Indom before Eye of the Tyrant and an Adlo before Ala Morn. DPS check isn't that stringent so if there's a struggle there's also time to help you spotheal the orb takers provided they actually do it immediately when they spawn, instead of sometime whenever.

He indeed doesn't use Drachenlance (the cleave) while Clawbound/Fangbound are up so MT receives poke damage besides Ala Morn during that time.

v1perz53

So I've finally decided to give this game a fair shot, a little surprised it has taken me this long since I have a pretty long MMO history while being a pretty huge FF fan. But I had some questions since it is a bit difficult to parse what information out there is not out of date with Heavensward releasing and changes to the game.

1. It is my basic understanding that a single character can play as multiple jobs/classes, is this correct? Used to a world where I need many alts to play different classes.

2. Trying to decide on a job to start with. Really unsure on how the game plays in general, but is there a class that is better suited to solo play than the others, or can solo more difficult content than others? The classes are a bit different to me than normal, since most games I've played something like a Paladin is great for solo play with a lot of self healing, but I hear that isn't really the case here.

2a. I almost always play tank or healer in MMOs for queue times, but I own the game on PS4. Not really looking to tank on controller, but how viable is healing with a controller at a casual level? And on that line combined with my question above, some older info says that Arcanist is a good starting job for solo because of pets, but would also work for me because it has a healing option later on. Is this still a decent solo option or have things changed?

3. While the fact that this game is an MMO is a plus, I'm in it almost entirely for the story and world for now. Is there any of the story I won't be able to experience with just solo play/duty finder? And if so, with how active the game is now is it still feasible to get through all of it at a very casual play level?

Thanks for any help, sorry for all the questions! I always struggle parsing info on an mmo that has been out for a while because the games evolve and change so much! Any other suggestions for a long time experienced MMO player that is a total FF XIV noob are welcome!

So I've finally decided to give this game a fair shot, a little surprised it has taken me this long since I have a pretty long MMO history while being a pretty huge FF fan. But I had some questions since it is a bit difficult to parse what information out there is not out of date with Heavensward releasing and changes to the game.

1. It is my basic understanding that a single character can play as multiple jobs/classes, is this correct? Used to a world where I need many alts to play different classes.

2. Trying to decide on a job to start with. Really unsure on how the game plays in general, but is there a class that is better suited to solo play than the others, or can solo more difficult content than others? The classes are a bit different to me than normal, since most games I've played something like a Paladin is great for solo play with a lot of self healing, but I hear that isn't really the case here.

2a. I almost always play tank or healer in MMOs for queue times, but I own the game on PS4. Not really looking to tank on controller, but how viable is healing with a controller at a casual level? And on that line combined with my question above, some older info says that Arcanist is a good starting job for solo because of pets, but would also work for me because it has a healing option later on. Is this still a decent solo option or have things changed?

3. While the fact that this game is an MMO is a plus, I'm in it almost entirely for the story and world for now. Is there any of the story I won't be able to experience with just solo play/duty finder? And if so, with how active the game is now is it still feasible to get through all of it at a very casual play level?

Thanks for any help, sorry for all the questions! I always struggle parsing info on an mmo that has been out for a while because the games evolve and change so much! Any other suggestions for a long time experienced MMO player that is a total FF XIV noob are welcome!
You can switch jobs freely on a single character.
Solo play isn't really a thing besides some story duties, most meaningful content is done through duty finder, but the only piece of content you'll have some trouble doing at a very casual level is the optional Binding Coil storyline, otherwise you can just play this like a single player JRPG.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
1) You can play every class on one character. No real reason for alts unless you want to play a different race...or have an extra character to mess around with for whatever reason.

2) Everyone can solo/quest ok.

2a) Healing works fine on a controller. I jump between PC and PS4 and don't have any issues.

3) You can do everything solo/with DF aside from the savage (hardest) version of the raids. Even the latest raids have normal version in the DF so everyone can see the story. With the level syncing and roulette system you will not have trouble getting parties for any of the story content or earlier dungeons.

Guess Who

Banned

Yup. Once you reach level 10 in your first class, you can go to any of the other class guilds to pick up another one.

All the solo content in FFXIV is designed to be reasonably doable by all classes. There is a Paladin job, which you can unlock after leveling the Gladiator class to level 30 (and Conjurer to 15).

I've healed on a controller and for casual content it's totally doable. I've even raided with a guy who played White Mage on controller as well and managed it just fine. You just have to get used to soft-targetting with the d-pad. As I mentioned, all the classes are viable for soloing (though you are forced to group up for dungeons and bosses, but don't worry, there's very easy matchmaking). Arcanist has the choice of leveling into either a Scholar (healer) or Summoner (DPS) job at level 30, which makes it a versatile first job to level if you want options. (And you aren't limited to just one of those, you can have both jobs.)

Pretty much the entire main story is doable solo, using Duty Finder to matchmake for group content. Some of the stuff off the beaten path may be a little more difficult to find groups for, however - the Crystal Tower content is super dead, last I heard, for instance.

Top Bottom