• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Man, I might have to give up my dream of PVP in this game. Just want over 7k wolf marks for the arm. Can't stand the long queues, and noticeable some of the good players joined Adders so it won't be long before those queues go up as well.

Four 24 mans in a row, as opposed to the supposed 72 mans. It's boring as hell. They should never restrict it to Grand Company, but there' must be a dev that's just to stubborn to let that go because "its his baby". They should just make alliance blue, red, and yellow with proper setups like the 24 man raids.

ebil

Hell, I got insulted because I wanted to watch the cutscenes in Castrum 3 days after ARR's release.

Praetorium was great but I'm happy they don't design dungeons like this anymore.

Gattsu25

Banned
Feels bad whenever you make it to the boss and a cutscene plays and then you find put you got locked out the room and could nothing but emote until they win or lose.

Thankfully Yoshi-p and co learned from that so there aren't any dungeons like that anymore that have a ton of cutscenes.

I had the same experience as you, I think I got to hit the last boss of Castrum M. once.
Oh my god. The protectorium was even worse. I've decided, if I even continue playing this game I'm going to be skipping every goddamned cutscene from now on.

I skipped every cutscene in that place after the 7th including all the end of the game ones.

Edit: fuck it. Saving myself $15 a month.

Wilsongt

Returning to the game thoughts.

Seems I had a few patches worth of content to catch up with before Heavensword stuff is accessible to me, but I'm almost done with it.

Still no new ranks in Grand Companies?

Still no new Summons?

No. yoshiP hates summoners. We get glamour egis starting next patch.

suzu

It sucks, but at least you can watch the cutscenes again at an inn room.

Feel free to continue viewing cutscenes after Castrum Meridianum and The Praetorium, because they stopped putting long cs in the latter dungeons.

I'll be unsyncing those story dungeons with friends who recently started playing, so they can watch them without having to go through DF.

Thorgal

the only other longish cutscene in dungeons i can think of it the 2 at the last boss of Aetherchemical facility .

haven't had a group that decided to rush in while one guy was still watching on my server .

Hell, I got insulted because I wanted to watch the cutscenes in Castrum 3 days after ARR's release.

Praetorium was great but I'm happy they don't design dungeons like this anymore.

I got insulted badly as well and missed half the fights in Praetorium. I started playing May of last year and was rushing to the expansion to play with my friends. After the horrible prae run, I ran it with my fc because they felt bad I couldn't watch my cutscenes. But yah... people were so impatient back then and still are to newbies. I got called a bitch a for being a cutscene watcher. Can't one enjoy story? lol

Ponn

Banned
So got some free DLC codes from an Amazon promo i'm not going to use but I thought i'd give them to some nice GAF people if anyone wants them. They say they are NA only so don't request them if you can't use them.

They are for Original Fat Chocobo mount, Maid Attire, Butler Attire, Crag Mask, Inferno Mask and 99x Prism Wings. They are individual codes so if you only want one particular item let me know.

So got some free DLC codes from an Amazon promo i'm not going to use but I thought i'd give them to some nice GAF people if anyone wants them. They say they are NA only so don't request them if you can't use them.

They are for Original Fat Chocobo mount, Maid Attire, Butler Attire, Crag Mask, Inferno Mask and 99x Prism Wings. They are individual codes so if you only want one particular item let me know.

Choco please! And thanks!

Sifl

You're watching videos made before the VIT changes.

Seems like with drac pots, Str offers +105 and Vit offers +103... So make/get whatever's cheaper.
I should've been more clear, I was watching a stream and person was using drac str pots instead of vit. I tested it myself though and the ar with the vit pot is 1 higher, so maybe he just had a bunch of str pots saved up and didn't want to not use them.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Welp, caught up and am ready to start Heavensward...

All the quests in the patch prior to it gave me about 1/3 of a level to 51.

Scions got Stark-ed

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta

Could I get butler attire and prism wings?

Thorgal

Best emote .

ffxiv_dx112016-06-190ztubp.jpg

Reddit says you only start getting bonuses after you reach the halfway mark on growth points, ie reach the second meter. There's a cutscene in which your anima sprite says she's getting used to the sands or something.

That would really explain it then. At any rate, I'm almost there so it should speed up once I get one bar full.

Oh my god. The protectorium was even worse. I've decided, if I even continue playing this game I'm going to be skipping every goddamned cutscene from now on.

I skipped every cutscene in that place after the 7th including all the end of the game ones.

Is Castrum the last one or second last?

I can't remember.

All I know is that the last few dungeons of the main game storyline had a crap ton of cutscenes. Onwards from that point they don't do that anymore.

Is iron works the best gear until getting to heavensward stuff?

Dreadwyrm is but you don't really need that. Heavensward armor vendors have some level 50 stuff that is more or less around the same level of Ironworks so you don't need Ironworks armor to start going through Heavensward.

oktarb

So I'm a returning player. When i last left off I had dinged into Black Mage and they gave me one boring spell. I was a tad pissed after banging out all those levels to have such an underwhelming reward.

I came back now and just started mainlining the story line. Is there any other welcome back advice or things I should do?

Is iron works the best gear until getting to heavensward stuff?

So I'm a returning player. When i last left off I had dinged into Black Mage and they gave me one boring spell. I was a tad pissed after banging out all those levels to have such an underwhelming reward.

I came back now and just started mainlining the story line. Is there any other welcome back advice or things I should do?

What level are you at? Black Mage produce the biggest explosions especially with the Heavensward stuff from what I can tell so you should continue and you'll eventually get the cooler stuff.

oktarb

What level are you at? Black Mage produce the biggest explosions especially with the Heavensward stuff from what I can tell so you should continue and you'll eventually get the cooler stuff.

I just dinged 31. I basically fire, fire, fire, fire, switch, ice, ice dead. Pretty simple rotation.

I should add that FF allegedly has the best crafting system. it's something I intend on exploring.

I just dinged 31. I basically fire, fire, fire, fire, switch, ice, ice dead. Pretty simple rotation.

I should add that FF allegedly has the best crafting system. it's something I intend on exploring.

Early leveling is pretty simplistic in this game, things don't really start coming together until you get your main class/job abilities. For Black Mage you're missing stuff like Fire III/Blizzard III/Flare/etc.

I only leveled Black Mage until level 26 but I heard it gets pretty complex/interesting once you're at max level with everything unlocked (including the new Heavensward stuff).

Teknoman

Thankfully Yoshi-p and co learned from that so there aren't any dungeons like that anymore that have a ton of cutscenes.

I had the same experience as you, I think I got to hit the last boss of Castrum M. once.

Feels bad whenever you make it to the boss and a cutscene plays and then you find put you got locked out the room and could nothing but emote until they win or lose.

Long scenes or no, people should still have the common decency to wait for someone watching a scene. Its the most story oriented MMO on the market and people are drawn to it for a reason.

Thorgal

BLM does switch around quite a bit at 50 and then again at 60 .

that said however , that basic concept of fire fire fire Switch to ice to replenish mp then back to fire doesn't really change but you will be weaving other skills through it and at 60 it can become quite complex with trying to keep enochian up so you have access to fire 4 and blizzard 4 .

if you want to know more i can recommend this guide who outlines perfectly on how it works .

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iws0GeBJv2fJLJOJX4TyywPy6f0x_eR5uHMC8EiyGLI/edit#

and here is what BLM royation looks like at 60. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPn8KftfAYg

as you can see BLM hits really hard .

Now that i'm playing AST, does anyone have any tips for how to remember what cards equal what buffs with Royal Road? I just got Draw card symbols down and now that I have Royal Road i need to memorize that too. Should i be using it often, or only when the party doesn't need the card i have?

Now that i'm playing AST, does anyone have any tips for how to remember what cards equal what buffs with Royal Road? I just got Draw card symbols down and now that I have Royal Road i need to memorize that too. Should i be using it often, or only when the party doesn't need the card i have?

You use it not only for the added effect, but primarily to get that card out of the way so your card timer restarts sooner.

Mp/tp cards spread the effect at reduced potency. Good for balance or arrow at the start of a boss.

Balance/bole enhance the effect by 50%. Again, primarily used on arrow or balance and most effective when it's clear one dps is doing the carrying, so spreading a card would be a waste.

Arrow/spear prolong the effect by double the tome. Again, all about using it with balance or arrow on a person. Can be used on a tank with bole to extend the time you may be able to dps with out having to heal for example.

Always be using RR.

I learned all my patterns through normal play, honestly. There was an elitist in my old fc that said I'll never be good at ast. I wish I could see his face now that I learned pretty damn well. It isn't a overwhelming class by any means. You will get better at it with time. Royal road is extremely important on a crappy card like Spire, yes. Spire and Spear are the least useful cards, IMO if you are using them without RR.

MogCakes

Duty finder Seph EX is pure hell. Absolute. Pure. Hell. And it's never their own fault, oh no. It's always somebody else. I am going insane.

Thorgal

Worth it at all to continue my relic weapon?

Was at Novus when I left.

nope .

even when finished too zodiac , the gear you get in dungeons and MSQ in heavensward will quickly out level it .

heavensward comes with a new relic so the old ARR is pretty useless now except for Glamour or you want to skip the first step of the new relic and since SE upped the droprate of Crystals significantly it isn't even worth that .

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
nope .

even when finished too zodiac , the gear you get in dungeons and MSQ in heavensward will quickly out level it .

heavensward comes with a new relic so the old ARR is pretty useless now except for Glamour or you want to skip the first step of the new relic and since SE upped the droprate of Crystals significantly it isn't even worth that .

Oh, so you don't even need the old one to keep going. All that perfectly melded materia...

And I'm sure there's a quest to get back all that materia? right? right?

What's the name of the new relic starter quest?

ebil

Oh, so you don't even need the old one to keep going. All that perfectly melded materia...

And I'm sure there's a quest to get back all that materia? right? right?

What's the name of the new relic starter quest?
The aptly-named Soul without Life quest in Azys Lla.

Lower level materia is a lot easier to get nowadays anyway with lv 50 beast tribe dailies and Aquapolis.

Top Bottom