• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Omni

I don't get it.

Isn't more VIT good for pld?

What am I not seeing?
Basically what the others said, yeah. Vit melds are worthless on that gearset - hence the +0. The fact that he melded two grade Vs without checking baffles me. That's like an 800k mistake.

Though I should mention that this guy was pulling Twinkledicks with provoke and flashing in an attempt to keep hate (I think it was a clear party. We just joined for the hell of it). Kinda fits together. I'm not quite sure how you get that far as a tank without learning how the class works buuut. (At the very least he was trying I suppose, so I can't be too harsh)

ebil

It doesn't surprise me much, with A5s only being gated behind A8 normal.

I was half-amused half-horrified when I was asked to look at the ACT logs from that DRK in my FC, who our casual group has problems with: connected about 50% of his combos, used Dark Arts 6 times in a 2 hour session, never used Carve and Spit, Dark Passenger or Salted Earth, spammed Delirium over and over and over... This is how you get a 200 DPS tank that just can't hold hate against anything.

This is a guy willing to do endgame fights, yet he knows next to nothing about a job he's been playing for a good 6 months.

Sifl

That Pld with vit in his chest piece is pretty bad. But I'm not gonna lie, I had a bunch of gather materia in my tank gear at 1 point just so people in the df would ask me why.

Squishy3

I don't think the game tells you you're wasting materia if you're doing it via another person or one of the melding NPCs, only if you do the meld yourself. The +0 still shows up on the melding interface but I don't think the dialog box that says "all the attributes cannot be added, do you wish to continue?" does

I could be mistaken though

I don't think the game tells you you're wasting materia if you're doing it via another person or one of the melding NPCs, only if you do the meld yourself. The +0 still shows up on the melding interface but I don't think the dialog box that says "all the attributes cannot be added, do you wish to continue?" does

I could be mistaken though
No, the game definitely warns you stats will be wasted when using the NPC.

Tucah

you speak so well
Hey FFXIV gaf, got a question/problem to see if any of you know the answer to this. I was an old fan of FFXI and was eagerly awaiting FFXIV and then the whole fiasco you know about happened on PC and since I had a mac I was waiting patiently for the PS4 version, which came around with ARR rather than the original. Anyway, I got into the closed beta and was pretty excited for it. Unfortunately some stuff came up in my life and I was never able to hop in like I wanted after playing the closed beta. Now, last time I was interested in trying it out I tried to download the client because there was a free trial and when I downloaded it, it told me I couldn't play, presumably because of that closed beta I had tried for all of like a day. Frustrated that I couldn't try it out, I didn't get the game at all then either.

Now that brings me to now: With the Square Enix sale I'd love to give it a shot. The problem seems to be confusion on my PSN account and that closed beta, though. When I look at the store and the sale I can see the price of FFXIV ARR and that's 10 bucks. I can see that there exists a bundle for FFXIV ARR and Heavensward, which is, I think, what I want, but it won't even tell me the price of that bundle because it says I already own FFXIV ARR. That's weird because I can totally actually purchase that separately and it doesn't say I own it with just the single version. I also can't see the price for Heavensward either (because, funnily enough... it says I have NOT purchased FFXIV ARR).

so... uh... what do?

What is that bundle price right now anyway during this sale? Do you guys know how to unfuck this stuff so I can get that bundle?

It's not a solution if you wanted to use PSN credit you already had the bundle is also $25 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZVQKROM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

studyguy

So I ended up with a ticket, not one for my girlfriend though since I thought she was going to stay but ended up saying ok, I'll go in the end :/

Time to be a sneaky fuck and drag her in no ticket

Man

Man.
This was in a PF A5s party

Don't let your dreams be dreams, the caps are only in your mind

Ken

tfw your alliance has the worst player

hmm_zpsjc8edsif.png

The top FC on our server has been early pulling hunts the whole week and not sharing them. What a bunch of arseholes, I swear. Literally... they get on the hunt and pull it even if nobody is there. I mean holy crap.... you kill hunts faster if you wait for people o.o. This relic grind is making people so greedy.

Bajan32

Hey Guys!
Just started playing. I applied to the guild but no idea where limsa lominsa is, so if anyone can help me finish joining guild it would greatly be aprreciated!

Redx508

Hey Guys!
Just started playing. I applied to the guild but no idea where limsa lominsa is, so if anyone can help me finish joining guild it would greatly be aprreciated!

what city are you in? if you keep doing the story it will take you to limsa, or if you see someone with the GAF tag target then and hit view company profile and submit application.and a mod will let you in if one is online

what's your in game name?

Reading the MMO thread in gaming, I don't think there's anything they could do with WoW to bring me back. I played it when it came out (Human Priest) then again some years later when the ice land expansion came out (Dranei Paladin) that I no longer have any interest in coming back to it.

After that I figured I would not get involved with another MMO again then FFXIV:ARR came along. That FF style visuals/story/music keeps bringing me back. Even if WoW beats it in a pure dungeon/raid numbers game (not hard considering WoW's been out for about 12 years) FFXIV still has a ton of stuff to go through for new players and the stuff they add each big patch always goes some ways towards extending my playtime with the game by a good amount.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Reading the MMO thread in gaming, I don't think there's anything they could do with WoW to bring me back. I played it when it came out (Human Priest) then again some years later when the ice land expansion came out (Dranei Paladin) that I no longer have any interest in coming back to it.

After that I figured I would not get involved with another MMO again then FFXIV:ARR came along. That FF style visuals/story/music keeps bringing me back. Even if WoW beats it in a pure dungeon/raid numbers game (not hard considering WoW's been out for about 12 years) FFXIV still has a ton of stuff to go through for new players and the stuff they add each big patch always goes some ways towards extending my playtime with the game by a good amount.
FF14 is the superior version of WoW. Even if Black mage is a copy of the druid class.

Omni

Healing Thordan ex with full STR stat tanks in i200 or whatever gear was really something else

I want to see more ex primals with that level of difficulty. Nidhogg and Seph felt like a step backwards

Squishy3

Healing Thordan ex with full STR stat tanks in i200 or whatever gear was really something else

I want to see more ex primals with that level of difficulty. Nidhogg and Seph felt like a step backwards
They repeatedly said before Sephirot came out that Thordan was the exception and not the norm and not to expect that level of difficulty from the rest of the 3.x primals.

wasn't thordan ex made by the same person that made titan ex fight?
of course it's much harder
And I don't know who designed Thordan but Sephirot was designed by the Titan EX designer.

I think the thing I appreciate most about Nidhogg is how the mechanics aren't actually that dumbed down for the normal version and the most they do is remove the aoe markers,add the debuffs to the adds, add fang and claw,, soul tethers and towers and tank swap during the final phase and add the orb + hot tail dodging bit

Wow, I got a +6 relic bonus, +5, and even a +4 today. I'm already nearly done! Just a few more days and I should have it. I think the bonus really really helps haha. Still have two umbrite leftover but now to grind all those tomes over again.

Edit: I think Thordan is notoriously difficult but at the same time, I feel like Nidhogg is just as difficult at times. I am using the party finder and I don't have a static/dont want to join one.... because none of the people I talk to want to start one. As I use pf, I do find Nidhogg rather difficult to cope with. Seph is definitely the easiest, imo.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Thordan and Sephirot both were designed by the Titan guy. Allegedly.
It's actually not that different from any other raid tier encounter in that there's a series of dodge patterns you need to follow, it's just that this time they all look visually different. And unlike some of those encounters, there's generous pauses between each dodge phase so skipping the last set, which is generally the hardest to heal, became a norm from the start.
I can see how people who have only been playing the game for a few months might have been struggling with it, but I never found Thordan to be such a big deal.

For comparison, Thordan took me 8 hours to learn, Sephirot took 12, but Nidhogg only took 3. All of those were done with party finder within the first week.

Omni

They repeatedly said before Sephirot came out that Thordan was the exception and not the norm and not to expect that level of difficulty from the rest of the 3.x primals.
That doesn't mean that I can't want it though.

Suppose Savage is still there for those wanting something difficult. But still! Nidhogg especially seemed kinda underwhelming for what it was in terms of story. Seph at least had phase 3 going for it which made things interesting.

Squishy3

Thordan and Sephirot aren't rumored, it was confirmed in a live letter, ctrl+f thordan http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...e-Producer-LIVE-Part-XXVI-Digest-(01-12-2016)

I mean regardless of how long it took Thordan's still the most mechanically complex since it has 10 phases even if the last few are just heavy healing and a small DPS check. (that you rarely saw anyway even at the time with a competent group)

Sephirot and Nidhogg are of the design philosophy that it's only a few actual mechanics each phase and they repeat so it's easy to separate them into each distinct phase of the fight while Thordan has different combinations of every mechanic in the fight after the ultimate and it can take some time to hammer in each combination in every party member's mind and you only get the one run through, so if you were still learning pizza party you have to go through 6 minutes of the fight again to get back to that point. It's totally designed to slip up everybody because by the time the part you're actually having trouble on shows up again you've just been working through the motions you've been doing for so long and the consistency just isn't there if you're clearing with PF groups because for the most part it's probably a different set of people everytime. Hell Seph experiences this too because left/right is hard <_<

It's like when Miunih was on Twitter complaining about A8S because they have to repeat so much of the fight before reaching Final Justice

That doesn't mean that I can't want it though.

Suppose Savage is still there for those wanting something difficult. But still! Nidhogg especially seemed kinda underwhelming for what it was in terms of story. Seph at least had phase 3 going for it which made things interesting.
Nah I definitely adore it from that perspective. It's a good send off to the Heavensward storyline and I think is better designed than the other normal difficulty HW primals which outside of like Thordan feel like a mismatched hodgepodge of all the stuff present in the EX versions. Like go try Ravana normal again and see how silly the mechanics rotation in that fight is after having done the EX version

Frumix

Suffering From Success
That's like that with every fight though, repeat or no repeat. It took a while to iron out Pillar of Mercy for example, mostly because the timing is wonky and it's very easy to get 99k'd if you don't move out soon enough or get slapped by the ground pillar if somebody moves out too soon. That stuff is... how many minutes into the fight again? Unmeasurable attempts were lost to Storm of Words because it requires tanks and healers to be at the top of their cooldown game. I mean, I still don't see how Thordan is at all special in that regard, especially not since T9 defined this kind of battle design. You want to practice elementals, but first how about the other three phases you've seen a hundred times before.

ebil

Sephirot wasn't that much easier to learn and farm than Thordan (if at all). PF groups struggled with both, the main difference being that Seph came at the beginning of a gear cycle and stayed relevant for most of it, while Thordan quickly lost steam because nobody wanted to bother with that guy always screwing up mechanics, resulting in missing that last phase skip.

To be honest I can't help but feel like Nidhogg is about the right difficulty for its target audience.

Jeels

So, with YoshiP confirming 4.0 is getting announced at Fan Fest, I wanted to talk jobs...

Some people are saying there was a PAX interview where Yoship stated three jobs (1 heal, 1 dps, 1 tank) was way too difficult for them in Heavensward and are speculating that that means we will only get 1 or 2 jobs this expac.

What does everyone think of that? Personally I'd hate it because that likely means we'll be getting Red Mage/Samurai since those are two jobs heavily hinted at. But I don't care for either. I'd rather we get Beastmaster :(

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I think you might be waiting awhile for that either way. Beastmaster isn't exactly the most popular job in the world (V, sorta VI, and XI?). Then again after Samurai and Red Mage they've pretty much got all the 'popular' jobs and then I can shout about Mystic Knight or Time Mage or something.

Jeels

I think you might be waiting awhile for that either way. Beastmaster isn't exactly the most popular job in the world (V, sorta VI, and XI?). Then again after Samurai and Red Mage they've pretty much got all the 'popular' jobs and then I can shout about Mystic Knight or Time Mage or something.

That's true (it was in X-2 as well btw). I think Dancer would be another unique choice...

ebil

Yoshida also repeatedly said that it took them 1 year of development to add a new job, so yeah I'd be surprised to get more than 2.

Honestly, as long as they're well-designed I don't care how many we get. It took them 9 months to get AST right and it's not even done yet. I have problems with the way all 3 of the new jobs are designed so I'd be content with getting fewer, but better thought out jobs.

Hopefully they also trim out some of the skills and overhaul/replace the cross-class system if they're going to add active skills.

That's true (it was in X-2 as well btw). I think Dancer would be another unique choice...
I'd love this so much. :(

zeitgeist

I've been thinking of finally giving in and getting Heavensward / renewing FFXIV just curious though...

I see that Vanilla FFXIV is 10 bucks on PSN and the combo with Heavensward is 30 but if I get the vanilla PS4 version and then a hard copy of Heavensward, can I install the expansion and play all of the content without having to keep the Heavensward disk in my PS4 since I have the digital vanilla version?

aceface

I think they will probably not introduce a new healer for next expac. Seems way too tough to balance for them. We will definitely get a new dps and maybe Samurai for tank?

Bajan32

what city are you in? if you keep doing the story it will take you to limsa, or if you see someone with the GAF tag target then and hit view company profile and submit application.and a mod will let you in if one is online

what's your in game name?

Thanks,
my ingame name is Bajan Dread. I guess ill make it limsa one day soon!

Cmagus

Why is PVP so dead? Last few days it's been 1hr+ waits and even then sometimes nothing. I'd really like to do more PVP for tomes :(

I'm down with less new jobs provided they're well designed. AST was superfluous and boring, at least DRK and MCH brought something to the table.

Also gives them more room to proper work on the existing jobs so we don't get another fucking Minuet.

Jeels

I've been thinking of finally giving in and getting Heavensward / renewing FFXIV just curious though...

I see that Vanilla FFXIV is 10 bucks on PSN and the combo with Heavensward is 30 but if I get the vanilla PS4 version and then a hard copy of Heavensward, can I install the expansion and play all of the content without having to keep the Heavensward disk in my PS4 since I have the digital vanilla version?

Yes.

Also, make sure to get Heavensward as soon as you complete the 2.0 story. 2.1-2.5 quests give you experience if you have Heavensward that makes leveling up in 3.0 significantly less stressful.

ebil

AST might not be boring to play (and it's so pretty) but its actual design is as boring and lazy as it gets, no question.

Top Bottom