• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Grisby

On the Final Steps of Faith Boss
(Nidhogg)
you
stack up on his third form for all of those blasts
right? How exactly do you dodge those
three to four balls of fire that he drops?

MMaRsu

Ok I bought the base game, not including Heavensward. I hooked up my keyboard and mouse and that works surprisingly well?! Ps4 owner here :p

Squishy3

Sounds like from this interview the first 50 floors of deep dungeon they are implementing for 3.35 are pretty faceroll. He's saying you don't even need healers. Have to wait until 3.45 or 3.5 for floors 50-200 which is the challenging part
He said in an earlier interview potions also have less of a cooldown while you're inside so I imagine that's why he's saying that specifically.. I'm interested in going into Deep Dungeon on a class other than my main, since it seems like the perfect kind of optional content for messing around like that with the completely separate progression system.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Just saying, if you get so worked up over Japanese, translations or not, then you might as well respect other languages too

I looked at pictures and headlines before I even looked at the article.
Just saying, I'd appreciate if you laid off unwarranted personal attacks, and let's end this here.

Grisby

Oh my god, the Final Steps boss is done. F' you
Nidhogg

Gotta admit though that last phase got me pumped each time. Including the cutscene that lead into the trial, which was a pretty damn epic battle.

Oh my god, the Final Steps boss is done. F' you
Nidhogg

Gotta admit though that last phase got me pumped each time. Including the cutscene that lead into the trial, which was a pretty damn epic battle.

Definitely the highlight of the Heavensward storyline imo. The end of the base expansion was awesome as well but this was a fantastic way to end the storyline.

I'm hoping they have more awesome stuff like this in future patches and the expansion since I feel they are getting better at this, say compared to ARR.

Squishy3

Definitely the highlight of the Heavensward storyline imo. The end of the base expansion was awesome as well but this was a fantastic way to end the storyline.

I'm hoping they have more awesome stuff like this in future patches and the expansion since I feel they are getting better at this, say compared to ARR.

It's pretty clear that since Coil had such low completion numbers that they're funneling the types of things that were cool in Coil into the content most people will be doing.

Even mechanics! See: Towers in Thordan, earthshakers in Sephirot, etc. Hell we've already got stuff from Alex savage making its way into the MSQ since the A5S bomberman bombs are present in Final Steps.

They've got a formula down for "cool" in-engine cutscenes now since 2.55 and HW (along with Hildibrand elevating to new heights with things like the clothesline into DDT) and I'm wondering if since Coil had that CG cutscene after beating T12 we'll be getting a new one in either the final wing of Midas or the storyline left leading up to the next expansion.

Along with cool solo duty things like the end of 3.2.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Little over halfway through the Heavensward main story...

They just binged watched Game of Thrones before writing this, didn't they?

It's pretty clear that since Coil had such low completion numbers that they're funneling the types of things that were cool in Coil into the content most people will be doing.

Even mechanics! See: Towers in Thordan, earthshakers in Sephirot, etc. Hell we've already got stuff from Alex savage making its way into the MSQ since the A5S bomberman bombs are present in Final Steps.

They've got a formula down for "cool" in-engine cutscenes now since 2.55 and HW (along with Hildibrand elevating to new heights with things like the clothesline into DDT) and I'm wondering if since Coil had that CG cutscene after beating T12 we'll be getting a new one in either the final wing of Midas or the storyline left leading up to the next expansion.

Along with cool solo duty things like the end of 3.2.

Yeah, I don't mind this new approach. As for a CG cutscene I wouldn't be surprised if we did get one going into the new expansion.

Speaking of Hildibrand I haven't done any of the Heavensward Hildibrand stuff. I better get on that.

Qvoth

Chinese-exclusive qi pao is coming to the international client apparently.

This one.

fuck man, these look good but i doubt i'll pay money again for ff14 stuff

So i finally got the black mage job. The archer class just pales in comparison the black mages aoe nukes.

blm used to be aoe king, now it's smn
but i think from 1 to 50 blm is probably still better? once you reach 60 then smn is better

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So, doing main scenario missions, and the majority (or all) of the quests in each new area I came to, almost allowed me to get to 60 alone. Stalled slightly before lvl 57 cap, but I was close.

So, doing main scenario missions, and the majority (or all) of the quests in each new area I came to, almost allowed me to get to 60 alone. Stalled slightly before lvl 57 cap, but I was close.

You mean for Heavensward right? The story quests alone will get you close to 60.

Look forward to all the stuff after max level too.

I don't know if I did too much before going into it, but I've started doing Heavensward main quests and I'm already half way through level 59 and I've just gotten to Dravania. Hate to think of all the exp I'll be throwing away soon and I have no patience to bring up an alt class to the 50s. :(

That aside, my god are these english VA changes horrifying.

Grisby

I've really enjoyed the story line for the expansion. Doesn't hurt that the music is always on point too. I gotta say, I'm surprised at how attached I;ve gotten to Eorzea and my own personal Warrior of Light.

I also like that I'm able to complete a lot of it in SP mode without heavily coordinated groups. Sure, Final Steps took me all this week to finish, but at least it beats never touching it.

The only content I haven't gotten around to doing was the coil of bahamut stuff. I';; check it out some day I suppose.

I'm curious as to what
Yda and Papalymo have been up to, and if Minfilia is just the crystal lady
now. What's the general opinion on where the next game will be?

I don't know if I did too much before going into it, but I've started doing Heavensward main quests and I'm already half way through level 59 and I've just gotten to Dravania. Hate to think of all the exp I'll be throwing away soon and I have no patience to bring up an alt class to the 50s. :(

That aside, my god are these english VA changes horrifying.

English VA changes take some getting used to. It was pretty unexpected. Since you probably started after Heavensward came out I guess that means you were getting EXP from all the level 50 quests they added after the base ARR game so you're a lot farther ahead in terms of level compared to people who started Heavensward when it came out.

I've really enjoyed the story line for the expansion. Doesn't hurt that the music is always on point too. I gotta say, I'm surprised at how attached I;ve gotten to Eorzea and my own personal Warrior of Light.

I also like that I'm able to complete a lot of it in SP mode without heavily coordinated groups. Sure, Final Steps took me all this week to finish, but at least it beats never touching it.

The only content I haven't gotten around to doing was the coil of bahamut stuff. I';; check it out some day I suppose.

I'm curious as to what

Speculation point towards Ala Mhigo as the location for the next expansion.
Yda and Papalymo are running with some rebel group
currently IIRC.

SkyOdin

I'm curious as to what

My bet is that the next expansion will take us to Ala Mhigo and the region of Gyr Abania in the northeast of Eorzea.
Yda and Paplymo are probably working with the Ala Mhigan resistance against the occupying Imperial army.
The Ala Mhigo storyline is one of the longest-running unresolved plot threads in Final Fantasy XIV, since much of 1.0 dealt with it. The very fact that Minfillia herself is the daughter of an Ala Mhigan refugee who was spying on the Empire, and the Path Companion who followed the main character through the original 1.0 storyline was an Ala Mhigan demonstrate how central the story of the Ala Mhigan resistance is to the plot of Final Fantasy XIV. Ishgard was the natural choice for the first expansion, since it was always there in sight at the edge of where players could go, but Ala Mhigo is where the story needs to go in order for the plotlines they have laid down to progress meaningfully.

My bet is that the next expansion will take us to Ala Mhigo and the region of Gyr Abania in the northeast of Eorzea.
Yda and Paplymo are probably working with the Ala Mhigan resistance against the occupying Imperial army.
The Ala Mhigo storyline is one of the longest-running unresolved plot threads in Final Fantasy XIV, since much of 1.0 dealt with it. The very fact that Minfillia herself is the daughter of an Ala Mhigan refugee who was spying on the Empire, and the Path Companion who followed the main character through the original 1.0 storyline was an Ala Mhigan demonstrate how central the story of the Ala Mhigan resistance is to the plot of Final Fantasy XIV. Ishgard was the natural choice for the first expansion, since it was always there in sight at the edge of where players could go, but Ala Mhigo is where the story needs to go in order for the plotlines they have laid down to progress meaningfully.

I didn't know Ala Mhigo played a role in 1.0. The only thing I know of it is what's popped up in the ARR main storyline and whatever job quests mentioned the area (like the Monk job quests). After considering that they definitely need to go there next, also taking into account
Yda and Papalymo's recent activities makes it very likely.

Thorgal

i was thinking , now that the sour taste left behind by Gordias lies well behind us :

Should SE ever bring back a savage raid gatekeeper like Faust ?

an add or trash mob that requires a group to bring their A game or you simply won't be able to even start Savage with your group ?

should such a thing even be implemented in the MSQ ? like for example you have to be able to kill this add in this amount of time or you simply won't be able to start the trial ?

ebil

Haven't you done Midas? Hummelfaust was a thing the first week, this isn't exclusive to Gordias.

Even ADS at ilv60 wasn't exactly faceroll. I'd like more minibosses in general.

Edit: I don't think this is ever going to happen for MSQ though, they need the 400 DPS DRG (like the one I got in Final Steps yesterday) to be able to complete it or they'll simply quit.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Haven't you done Midas? Hummelfaust was a thing the first week, this isn't exclusive to Gordias.

Even ADS at ilv60 wasn't exactly faceroll. I'd like more minibosses in general.

Edit: I don't think this is ever going to happen for MSQ though, they need the 400 DPS DRG (like the one I got in Final Steps yesterday) to be able to complete it or they'll simply quit.

200_s.gif

Omni

Man trying to find tank glamour in this game is so hard

I got that High Allagan Fending suit made a while back, but it's so ugly. Wish it could properly be dyed. I dunno what else there is. Sky Pirate has a phallic shaped tube tied to the front and nooo thanks.

;___;

ebil

Has anyone been able to successfully skip a Savage floor since they implemented Raid Finder?

If this Reddit post from 2 weeks ago is to be believed you can't skip a floor now?

Edit: forgot there was a hotfix this week, it's apparently been fixed. We'll see tomorrow I guess...

Old content is old, but last night I finally cleared Ravana EX.

Story goes as so: My older, bigger FC we did this at the beginning of HW. My item level was around 190 but we struggled with this fight, or at least I did. Couldn't get used to his constant stance changing, his (what I assumed were) random mechanics and kept dying to many of them. My DPS was just god awful. Many times we never passed the butterfly phase... never finished it.

Weeks after the fact, around 3.1 actually, FC drama happened and we broke up. Since then I couldn't find the help to beat this fight. No one likes to teach and deal with people who have the dreaded "bonus" attached to them, so I was left with that quest on my log for months.

Last night, neighbor FC asked through linkshell if they could get some help on a farm. I've offered to help if they don't mind taking a "noob", she was okay with it since there were people who were kind of unfamiliar with the fight.

Even unsynced, there were some struggles with most of the group, even though they cleared it at some point. I've struggled with the same mechanics as before, but suddenly it all started to click, one by one. Some of those recent dungeons I've spammed over and over on Expert secretly taught me how to deal with certain mechanics and now I can recognize the pattern. After a few wipes, we get a clear. Cleared it a second time, I had the highest DPS and LB him before he did that bit where the swords appear above your head. Though it was late and people needed to leave, the leader of the other FC asked if I could come along and help with farming in the future, of course I'd be happy to oblige.

Sorry for the story, but I was pumped as hell finally beating this. Being unsynced helps, but man it was a long time coming.

Grisby

English VA changes take some getting used to. It was pretty unexpected. Since you probably started after Heavensward came out I guess that means you were getting EXP from all the level 50 quests they added after the base ARR game so you're a lot farther ahead in terms of level compared to people who started Heavensward when it came out.

Speculation point towards Ala Mhigo as the location for the next expansion.
Yda and Papalymo are running with some rebel group
currently IIRC.
That sounds fine by me. I'm ready to get out of the snow.

Staab

Anyone playing on Odin (EU) ?
I started up my free 14 day trial and will buy the game on steam for the free 30days (only 5$ during summer sale !).
Went with a gladiator, just hit 16 and working on some tradeskills.

Quite like what they did with the game, hadn't tried since beta.. :p

Top Bottom