• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

dramatis

Too busy with Overwatch static apparently named the 'league of lalafells'. This is what happens when you let the guy with the most loot boxes in the static pick the name. 7-2 last night in competitive play. Watch out, MLG!
Why did you let Qhon pick the name

Squishy3

ultros gaf lets try to do some nidhogg ex tonight, i got up to towers

calling GALEN
honestly i think the tower phase is the hardest part of that fight. third phase is a cakewalk because there's nothing that will kill the entire raid if unattended to/messed up

except for when i cleared it on our clear the tank didn't turn the boss back around after akh morn when we had him at 2% and he cleaved and killed 4 people <_<

aceface

ultros gaf lets try to do some nidhogg ex tonight, i got up to towers

calling GALEN

I need some more clears, so I could probably help out if you guys need me.

Also, towers seems like one of the easier phases to me. I've wiped on towers once, wiped on fang and claw a bunch of times, wiped on last phase a bunch of times.

Squishy3

I need some more clears, so I could probably help out if you guys need me.

Also, towers seems like one of the easier phases to me. I've wiped on towers once, wiped on fang and claw a bunch of times, wiped on last phase a bunch of times.
Fang and Claw's easy as long as everyone pays attention and if on voice calls out what orbs they're going for and has their CDs ready for that part while during towers and tethers phase for us we've gotten really bad geirskogul rng sometimes where for at least one or two people there isn't anywhere for them to dodge and you can't run across multiple lines if you weren't going right as they plopped down. It's something that can be overcome, obviously, but it's easy to just hesitate and then it's too late to dodge the geirskoguls or be far enough away from superjump

I just think final phase isn't that tough because everything's predetermined except for what angle every even set of orbs spawn at. Akh Morn also actually doesn't hit that hard in this fight. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's still a lot of damage, but it's spread among 8 people versus only 2 tanks and the only caveat is that there's more hits each Akh Morn, but the amount of healing required for each hit is lower and lower. The first one hits the most starting out at about 6800 HP and decreasing, second one starts even lower, etc. etc.

Dodging orbs is easy too, stack on tank for first set, bait roars, run to middle, wait for corner orbs to explode, everybody runs to their corners that they used during the towers and tethers phase to drop those roars and dodge the center bombs, then use gap closers to get back in after they've exploded and get ready for Akh Morn again, then everybody gets to blow their damage cooldowns after and go ham on the Hogg.

Then the even sets are also easy to dodge, move to last set of orbs that spawn, bait roars at the very edge, run to the absolute edge of the last set of orbs to spawn (where you won't get hit by the center orbs going off but can start running immediately) and run straight through Nidhogg and veer off to the right or left while exiting his targeting ring and you've successfully dodged Hot Tail and the orbs and now you're going into Akh Morn with no damage and you get to just DPS until it's time to stack on the tank again while the fight just loops

Lain

Anyone wants the Summer DLC Campaign codes?
I ended up preordering the PC digital version of I am Setsuna from Amazon.com and got a code to redeem, redeemed it and got the DLC reward codes. I thought I could have used them on my account but then I found out the codes themselves are region locked to American SE accounts so I can't do anything with them.
Codes are for:
Original Fat Chocobo Mount
Maid Attire
Butler Attire
Crag Mask
Inferno Mask
99x Magicked Prism (Wings)
First to ask gets the whole thing.

Cmagus

The Shatter PVP servers are dying left and right on Aether tonight. Almost every run has been huge bouts of lag, crashes and twice the game flat out stopped working. Every match the rest of the team had the same problems so it wasn't just me like I thought.

Jijidasu

Anyone wants the Summer DLC Campaign codes?
I ended up preordering the PC digital version of I am Setsuna from Amazon.com and got a code to redeem, redeemed it and got the DLC reward codes. I thought I could have used them on my account but then I found out the codes themselves are region locked to American SE accounts so I can't do anything with them.
Codes are for:

First to ask gets the whole thing.

If you still have it I'd love to take it off your hands.

aceface

Fang and Claw's easy as long as everyone pays attention and if on voice calls out what orbs they're going for and has their CDs ready for that part while during towers and tethers phase for us we've gotten really bad geirskogul rng sometimes where for at least one or two people there isn't anywhere for them to dodge and you can't run across multiple lines if you weren't going right as they plopped down. It's something that can be overcome, obviously, but it's easy to just hesitate and then it's too late to dodge the geirskoguls or be far enough away from superjump

I just think final phase isn't that tough because everything's predetermined except for what angle every even set of orbs spawn at. Akh Morn also actually doesn't hit that hard in this fight. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's still a lot of damage, but it's spread among 8 people versus only 2 tanks and the only caveat is that there's more hits each Akh Morn, but the amount of healing required for each hit is lower and lower. The first one hits the most starting out at about 6800 HP and decreasing, second one starts even lower, etc. etc.

Dodging orbs is easy too, stack on tank for first set, bait roars, run to middle, wait for corner orbs to explode, everybody runs to their corners that they used during the towers and tethers phase to drop those roars and dodge the center bombs, then use gap closers to get back in after they've exploded and get ready for Akh Morn again, then everybody gets to blow their damage cooldowns after and go ham on the Hogg.

Then the even sets are also easy to dodge, move to last set of orbs that spawn, bait roars at the very edge, run to the absolute edge of the last set of orbs to spawn (where you won't get hit by the center orbs going off but can start running immediately) and run straight through Nidhogg and veer off to the right or left while exiting his targeting ring and you've successfully dodged Hot Tail and the orbs and now you're going into Akh Morn with no damage and you get to just DPS until it's time to stack on the tank again while the fight just loops

In my experience, in last phase it's easy in theory but it's hard for people who have not done it before to know when to run where/when to stay still and let bombs explode. So, they run too early or too late and get hit by multiple bombs. So, you don't have everyone stacking for Ahk Morn and/or you don't have full dps. I did this a few times when I was on that stage and last night we hit enrage 3 times (although once we just beat it on the enrage cast) because people who had not reached last stage were dying still getting used to it.

I've still only wiped once ever on towers and that was because I moved to the center before the super jump marker came up and he jumped to the center and killed everyone. If everyone calls out a tower/corner that part has been super easy in my experience.

Valor

while during towers and tethers phase for us we've gotten really bad geirskogul rng sometimes where for at least one or two people there isn't anywhere for them to dodge and you can't run across multiple lines if you weren't going right as they plopped down. It's something that can be overcome, obviously, but it's easy to just hesitate and then it's too late to dodge the geirskoguls or be far enough away from superjump
Skoguls aren't as bad as this, and it's really hard to be screwed by rng if you're moving intelligently. Literally the only times I've gotten hit by skoguls there is when I got trapped in the corner by two other puddles locking me in place behind a tower fire circle. As soon as you drop your puddle just start moving towards the middle and make a small dodge to a safe space. You have so much time between safe space -> skoguls disappear > super jump hits that you can get clear of SJ unless it's literally next to you. In that case pop sprint. Doesn't matter what class you are, there's so much tp regen coming in like the next 30 seconds with the last divebomb.

WolvenOne

Okay, Sub officially put on hiatus. I should be able to start playing again in October or November. Right now I just don't have time to work, write, ride my bicycle, AND play FFXIV at the same time. Even playing casually ends up stressful, since I end up staring at the clock whenever I'm in a wipe-prone group.

Shame, but I just didn't really have any other rational choice right now.

Eldren

Rough run in Weeping City. I had to rez the SCH and PLD at least twice per boss (in between them trash-talking everyone else and bragging about how good their static is, etc) plus the BLM every boss, the tank was deciding how to handle mechanics (or not) without informing anyone, then at the end the BLM gets the caster gear I rolled need on and I didn't even get a single commendation. The one time I actually WANT spell speed too. Feels bad man.

Thorgal

and for today 's posting pics for no apparent reason :

Blood went trickling down indeed
ffxiv_03072016_160507yvobz.jpg

I think he's mad .

ffxiv_03072016_214346j5qjl.jpg

Determination is a garbage stat for Ast, right? Dunno, my crit is as high as 800+ and I feel like I'm critting at a lower rate than when I was at 783 crit or something. Determination is around 530 so maybe that's the problem? Nah, it isn't. I can crit for days but now that it is higher I feel I'm critting at a lower rate! What's going on? Maybe there's just no big difference between 20 points or so.... and I'm seeing things.

aceface

Det has nothing to do with crit rates, it's nothing more than an extremely nerfed mind. 100 Det makes your cures heal like 15 more hp. It's horrible.

Sifl

Anyone ever have a (deleted) appear in your fc? Did this person just flat out delete their character, or are they banned or something?

ebil

The effect of Det on auto-attacks was nerfed in 3.0, nothing more. Crit was buffed, and Skill/Spell Speed were buffed. Det is a meh stat and the worst for a lot of jobs, but it's not exactly garbage.

Det is still fairly valuable for every job relying on auto-attacks and jobs with pets or turrets. It's effectively more of your main stat on very small quantities, the downside of it being that it's a linear stat so it doesn't scale well compared to the rest.

For what it's worth, I still find Det better for AST than WHM and SCH simply because it affects your entire kit (Dignity and Barriers are completely unaffected by Spell Speed, you only get 2 DoTs and no AoE DoT whatsoever so if you're into nuking Det still has some value). Before anyone asks, the effect of Spell Speed on HoTs is comparable to the effect of Det (it does almost nothing). It's not a stat I value very high and I wouldn't go out of my way to gear up for Det but there's no great alternative for this particular job.

The effect of Det on auto-attacks was nerfed in 3.0, nothing more. Crit was buffed, and Skill/Spell Speed were buffed. Det is a meh stat and the worst for a lot of jobs, but it's not exactly garbage.

Det is still fairly valuable for every job relying on auto-attacks and jobs with pets or turrets. It's effectively more of your main stat on very small quantities, the downside of it being that it's a linear stat so it doesn't scale well compared to the rest.

For what it's worth, I still find Det better for AST than WHM and SCH simply because it affects your entire kit (Dignity and Barriers are completely unaffected by Spell Speed, you only get 2 DoTs and no AoE DoT whatsoever so if you're into nuking Det still has some value). Before anyone asks, the effect of Spell Speed on HoTs is comparable to the effect of Det (it does almost nothing). It's not a stat I value very high and I wouldn't go out of my way to gear up for Det but there's no great alternative for this particular job.

I was going to ask you if I should modify my relic's spell speed into determination but this post doesn't convince me det is better.

ebil

I was going to ask you if I should modify my relic's spell speed into determination but this post doesn't convince me det is better.
I'm not going to try and convince you. I personally find Spell Speed to be as bad as det for AST because it loses almost all of its value the second you stop chain-casting heals (which is something every sane healer does) and it doesn't affect much of whatever else you're doing.

IMO Crit, Accuracy and PIE are all better than both Det and Sps for this job but having either Sps or Det don't hurt (and spending like 40 crystal sands to replace a meh stat with another meh stat doesn't strike me as a good investment). You don't sound like someone who nukes a lot in anything serious anyway so I don't think that kind of optimization matters much in the end.

edit: to put it another way, AST is the healer that is the least affected by secondaries because it has no obvious interaction between secondaries and its kit (Aetherflow, Assize, Crit Adlo), not a whole lot of DoT spells (only two, both of which are completely unaffected by accuracy checks) and no AoE DoT damage at all, and a very wide kit.

Sifl

My friend told me that so many people transferred to Maelstrom on aether that it takes 1-2 hours to even get into a Shatter match. 2 weeks ago it was instant ques with us winning almost every match, now whenever I que it says more then 30mins and I haven't gotten into 1 since 2 weekends ago.

AlanOC91

Downloaded this yesterday after being a 10 year WoW Vet. Seems pretty good so far.

Love the graphics and UI along with the controller support. Combat is also excellent although switching enemies (RT+RB I think) is a little awkward.

I hate the map system. Took me about 6 hours to get used to it and still don't fully know how to control it.

Other than that so far so good.

Hit level 10 a while ago and currently doing the L10 Lancer quest.

Some questions.

1. Is lvl50 the max?
2. How's the end content?
3. Is raiding as serious as Wow or is there some leeway? (you need correct enchants/gems/stats etc pretty much perfected)
4. Do people tend to do things like track dps of players? I was a hardcore Wow raider for so many years but I've just got burnt out from the hardcore scene. Back when I was 16/17 sure it was great. Not arsed with that scene these days.
5. Is there a dungeon finder auto group type system?

Thanks guys! I love Final Fantasy so I think I'm going to have tons of fun with this.

Downloaded this yesterday after being a 10 year WoW Vet. Seems pretty good so far.

Love the graphics and UI along with the controller support. Combat is also excellent although switching enemies (RT+RB I think) is a little awkward.

I hate the map system. Took me about 6 hours to get used to it and still don't fully know how to control it.

Other than that so far so good.

Hit level 10 a while ago and currently doing the L10 Lancer quest.

Some questions.

1. Is lvl50 the max?
2. How's the end content?
3. Is raiding as serious as Wow or is there some leeway? (you need correct enchants/gems/stats etc pretty much perfected)
4. Do people tend to do things like track dps of players? I was a hardcore Wow raider for so many years but I've just got burnt out from the hardcore scene. Back when I was 16/17 sure it was great. Not arsed with that scene these days.
5. Is there a dungeon finder auto group type system?

Thanks guys! I love Final Fantasy so I think I'm going to have tons of fun with this.
1- 50 for the base game, 60 for Heavensward
2- It's okayish. You have a lot of things to do but many of them are shallow and/threadmill-y. The main draw of the endgame is the story, the extreme trials and the savage raids.
3- It's pretty serious, not as heavy on the gear side but current content can be very unforgiving mechanic-wise. How you play is more important than your equipment.
4- Yeah but people only really use it in the harder content since DPS checks are common.
5- Yeah, all dungeons are accessed through it, unlocked at level 15.

AlanOC91

1- 50 for the base game, 60 for Heavensward
2- It's okayish. You have a lot of things to do but many of them are shallow and/threadmill-y. The main draw of the endgame is the story, the extreme trials and the savage raids.
3- It's pretty serious, not as heavy on the gear side but current content can be very unforgiving mechanic-wise. How you play is more important than your equipment.
4- Yeah but people only really use it in the harder content since DPS checks are common.
5- Yeah, all dungeons are accessed through it, unlocked at level 15.

Awesome! Thanks for the helpful info :D

Squishy3

It depends on what your expectations are. The only thing that extremely bothered me was the complete hand-wave away of one specific plotline (anyone who's played knows which one) but other than the ARR storyline taking really long to get going, it's been pretty good so far. (And by that I mean it doesn't really kick into gear until around you're in the level 40 range) And it has the issue of kind of dwindling down when you start the stuff they added in the subsequent patches and you go from defeating the big bad back into fetch quests for a bit.

Heavensward is a marked improvement over ARR in that it starts off strong and is pretty well paced throughout. You'll probably have a blast playing through everything all at once as there is a lot of content to go through just as far as the main scenario goes as well as stuff like the Hildibrand questline, Binding Coil of Bahamut, etc. There's a lot of stuff for someone completely new to the game to do, so much so I can't even list it all off the top of my head.

And there's new optional content called the Palace of the Dead being added later this month that you can enter at level 17 and has a progression system untied from the main game that has you going through 50 floors of monsters and traps, much like a roguelike. Start at level 1, get items and gear inside to get stronger. And it's something they're going to keep adding floors too. (current future amount is 200 I think?)

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
So I made it to the second boss in stone vigil hard with the cannons with agroup of lalafells. We die twice, the second time getting the boss to 7% before our healer and tank quit on us. You'd think they'd get a clue of what to do.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Started playing again over the weekend, grabbed some lore tomes for my BLM/SMN and hit 50 with MCH yesterday. The biggest highlight was making 50+ retainer slots and half of my inventory empty by selling etc. equipment I don't need. I was this close to buying a third retainer.

I also wanted to level up crafting, but I currently have all crafting classes between 20+~36 and have no idea where to start. Did the first few GSM quests and called it a day (all the leveling was done through GC stuff).

Speaking of leveling - what's the easiest way to get an endgame weapon now? My overall equipment isn't that great (ilv 216), but if I understand it correctly, I'd have to spend lore tomes of the weapon? Guess I could grab one from Seph Ex. once I clear it.

Omni

Speaking of leveling - what's the easiest way to get an endgame weapon now? My overall equipment isn't that great (ilv 216), but if I understand it correctly, I'd have to spend lore tomes of the weapon? Guess I could grab one from Seph Ex. once I clear it.
I'd say it really depends.

If you don't think you can clear Nidhogg and Seph ex within the 7 weeks it takes to get the Midan gears required for the Lore weapon, then you're probably just better off saving the tomes. It is a lot though and you'd miss out on updating your armour. TBH you can probably make 'do' with an i210 weapon for 90% of content anyway.

Its kinda pointless to start getting gears now since by the time you're done we'll be a few weeks away from 3.4 anyways. Your best bet is getting the Sephi and Nidhogg weapons. There's also the Deep Dungeon weapons next week that are supposedly 230ish? Not sure about that.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'd say it really depends.

If you don't think you can clear Nidhogg and Seph ex within the 7 weeks it takes to get the Midan gears required for the Lore weapon, then you're probably just better off saving the tomes. It is a lot though and you'd miss out on updating your armour. TBH you can probably make 'do' with an i210 weapon for 90% of content anyway.
I have 4 Midan Gears already, which I got when Midas was still new, but I think I'll just grab Seph/Nidhogg weapons while raising my ilv using other slots.
Its kinda pointless to start getting gears now since by the time you're done we'll be a few weeks away from 3.4 anyways. Your best bet is getting the Sephi and Nidhogg weapons. There's also the Deep Dungeon weapons next week that are supposedly 230ish? Not sure about that.
Oh, I totally forgot that Yoshida said that if you do "something" (clear the dungeon enough times, maybe? I'm kind of behind on the news) you'll be able to take those things outside. Since Deep Dungeon is a part of the game I've been the most excited since the release, I hope to spend a lot of quality time there.

Top Bottom