• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Angry Guy

So I got interested in this game from hearing about it basically every week on the Best Friendcast for a good while. I've had basically no interest in MMOs ever, more or less swearing them off because I know they're time vampires. But that's a pretty poor reason to not play a good game when you're probably spending an equivalent amount of time on other games anyway.

The thing is, I love MMO-style combat. Games like Battleheart on my phone and Xenoblade Chronicles gave me an appreciation for autoattacking, pulling aggro, deploying skills, and positioning. Again, I don't give a fuck about MMOs. They're brain-meltingly huge, in both world size and mechanics to learn, they're time abysses, you have to have multiple characters to have different classes, the communities can be caustic and elitist, and none of them, to me, have art styles and worlds that I think are good and interesting. Except...

I DO give a fuck about Final Fantasy.

I played a lot of the remakes of the first 4 games and Tactics Advance as a kid. I love the recurring themes and characters. I especially love the job system. So I heard on the Friendcast that FFXIV had pretty good fighting, that it had all the classic jobs that you could max out on one character, and that it had a very good, classic-style Final Fantasy story. Like, "Yo, you see those crystals? PROTECT THEM." Which, for someone like me who prefers the classic games anyway, sounded perfect. People on the Friendcast and GAF alike were saying FFXIV is the best Final Fantasy in years, and that is what caused me to be very attentive. (And, I won't lie, the presence of my favorite job, Dark Knight, and the fact that they wield greatswords as SHINING BEACONS TO PROTECT THE MEEK may have piqued my interest a little.)

So, around the holidays last year, I played the free trial. I made a silly anime catgirl, chose pugilist, since punching things is cool, and got thrown haphazard into Ul'dah in an enormous world for an enormous experience where I had no inkling of what to expect.

And...I loved it. I got totally sucked in to both the mechanics and the world. Wow, this stance-changing fighting is pretty neat! Whoah, Ul'dah is so cool! I just killed a big-ass golem!
I stomped an ambush party, beat down a creepy sorcerer, reclaimed the crown of Ul'dah, and now the sultana is throwing a banquet in my honor??
This is amazing!

I was so enamoured with the game that I got it for Christmas, but since I was starting college soon after that, I decided to hold off on it to focus on my studies. Fast forward to now. I've got insane cravings for some form of Final Fantasy. I nearly started The War of the Lions, since I've never played any version of the original Tactics, but then I remembered-didn't I say I was going to play FFXIV when summer started and I have the time?

I just got to Coerthas. I decided to start over with a new character now that I actually have a whole free month of playtime, and I got the expansion back at Christmas too, so I made a burly Au Ra marauder. (Then deleted and remade him for two reasons. 1. his face was bothering me and 2. I wanted to start in my beloved Ul'dah again.) I speedran gladiator so I could switch back to marauder ASAP. I'm now a level 42 Warrior. As fun as pugilist was, I love two-handed weapons more than anything, so I've been having a blast wrecking everything with my GIANT AXE. Tanking was pretty scary at first, having to protect the whole party and all, but now I'm finding it to be a much more enjoyable and rewarding experience than when I was on DPS.

I am having SO MUCH fun with the game. The fighting is great, the world is great, and it's good to be playing a really awesome Final Fantasy again. (Other than Bravely Default, but I fell off of that game.)

I applied to the free company, since I knew there's a pretty active and friendly community for the game on GAF and I know MMOs are at their best when you have people to play them with. (Also, Gather Against Fate is the sickest name) So I figured I'd post this to give my thoughts on the game and, more importantly, to say hi to everyone here, so I didn't just say nothing to no one before applying.

Somnia

So how hard is it these days for a new player after I get 60 to find a Binding raid group or the like?

I'm only level 24 right now so I have a ways to go, but curious how hard it'll be to experience Coil eventually.

Jeels

It depends on what your expectations are. The only thing that extremely bothered me was the complete hand-wave away of one specific plotline (anyone who's played knows which one) but other than the ARR storyline taking really long to get going, it's been pretty good so far...
...Heavensward is a marked improvement over ARR in that it starts off strong and is pretty well paced throughout.

Definitely agree there, mostly because that twist you mention really shocked me, like truthfully
just as much as the first major deaths in game of thrones shocked me and challenged my ideas about narratives
I guess they were too afraid to carry that through? Not sure, but it seems like they are more comfortable now with HW that they will take more risks in the future
judging by the deaths of Haurenfaunt, Lasayle, and it looks like Minfilia isn't coming back

aceface

So how hard is it these days for a new player after I get 60 to find a Binding raid group or the like?

I'm only level 24 right now so I have a ways to go, but curious how hard it'll be to experience Coil eventually.

Coil is old content now, you may be able to get people to take you through it Unsynced for tome bonus but it's dead on DF. If you do it Unsynced and over leveled it's easy. Alexander Savage is the top raid tier now and if you can play your job well and do mechanics, there's always groups to be found.

Definitely agree there, mostly because that twist you mention really shocked me, like truthfully
just as much as the first major deaths in game of thrones shocked me and challenged my ideas about narratives
I guess they were too afraid to carry that through? Not sure, but it seems like they are more comfortable now with HW that they will take more risks in the future
judging by the deaths of Haurenfaunt, Lasayle, and it looks like Minfilia isn't coming back

Those scenes accomplished their narrative goal of
getting the player separated from the scions and out of that comfort zone. This allowed the scions to go off and do their own thing and gave the player and Alphinaud some fish out of water time in Ishgard. The ramifications for Ul'dah didn't matter as much in the long run so they just tied it up quickly. I think it's for he best, the HW story was way better anyways.

Somnia

Coil is old content now, you may be able to get people to take you through it Unsynced for tome bonus but it's dead on DF. If you do it Unsynced and over leveled it's easy. Alexander Savage is the top raid tier now and if you can play your job well and do mechanics, there's always groups to be found.

Ahh ya I know it's the old content, but I'd like to experience it. I can always look up the story scenes and stuff on youtube if all fails.

jschreier

Haha oh man I just finished the pre-Heavensward story. Pretty, pretty good. Although it's pretty funny that
after getting ousted from Ul'dah in dramatic fashion I can just teleport back immediately and walk around wherever I want like it ain't no thing.

Squishy3

yeah i use crysta since it's the only way to use paypal for ffxiv related purchases. it's actually nice since crysta is one to one representation unlike other stupid made up currency

Haha oh man I just finished the pre-Heavensward story. Pretty, pretty good. Although it's pretty funny that
after getting ousted from Ul'dah in dramatic fashion I can just teleport back immediately and walk around wherever I want like it ain't no thing.
I keep forgetting you go through this at a snails pace because of your job.
If you talk to some of the NPCs they say why you can walk around in Uldah undisturbed by authorities.

Enjoy the HW storyline, it's pretty great.

If you talk to some of the NPCs they say why you can walk around in Uldah undisturbed by authorities.

One of my favorite things about the game that few people notice was the changing npc dialog. So many npcs say different things after different events and story quests, and you can never go back to see what they had said before.

Omni

http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/8b316e1ae99e1807ec6785971c3c16b84020f539

FINAL FANTASY XIV and GamesMaster Magazine in the UK are partnering to offer European FFXIV players an opportunity to obtain a range of in-game items! Those who purchase certain issues of the printed magazine this summer will receive bonus item codes to acquire equipment, items and even the Original Fat Chocobo mount!

Note: Separate campaigns offering the same in-game items are currently being planned for those residing in: France, Belgium, The Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, Australia, New Zealand and Nordic territories. Further details on these campaigns will be posted at a later date.

How to Obtain the Original Fat Chocobo Mount
Take a photo of yourself holding the printed bonus item codes from all three of the above magazines and send to GamesMaster magazine via email. After your photo has been confirmed, the in-game bonus code for the mount will be sent back to you via email. Redeem the code on the Mog Station to claim your mount!

Email Address: gamesmaster@futurenet.com
Email Subject: The Big Fat Chocobo Giveaway

So much wut here.

PowerTaxi

Banned
Yeah.... nope.

***Please Note - FFXIV giveaway offer: It is too late to subscribe and receive issues 306 and 307. Subscribe below before 02/08/2016 to receive issue 308. Issues 306, 307 & 308 will be available to buy individually here when they go on sale. Issue 306 on sale date is 14.07.2016.

You'd think they would've planned it better but nope.

Today I learned that GamesMaster is still going.

oYm0MGj.jpg

Ken

Could you preorder something, get the codes and then cancel the order?

I don't actually know, I'm just curious.

Yup.

I think the worst part is how many US codes are being thrown out into the wild because of how easy the promo was.

EU Original Fat choco to be rarest mount.

PowerTaxi

Banned
Yup.

I think the worst part is how many US codes are being thrown out into the wild because of how easy the promo was.

EU Original Fat choco to be rarest mount.

I hope they do a US style promo in France or Germany so I can just buy shit on Amazon.fr/de and get it shipped here.

Slim chance of that though.

Robin64

Take a photo of yourself holding the printed bonus item codes from all three of the above magazines and send to GamesMaster magazine via email. After your photo has been confirmed, the in-game bonus code for the mount will be sent back to you via email. Redeem the code on the Mog Station to claim your mount!

Fuck yoooooou.

Somnia

Just say you have bonus and youll get people coming out of their hidey-holes to help

People will gladly run you through it nowadays for the Newbie Bonus.

Well guess being a n00b pays off then lol

I've played XIV off and on but always low levels since it came out, but I was so burned out on MMO's after years of UO, EQ, WoW and then Wildstar/ESO combo that I quit for so long.

Started back up this weekend and re-subbed for 6 months. Did a couple dungeons that are required for the story and really enjoyed them so far and just now doing my first mission for the Scion. Story seems to be getting good. Kagari, Shamdeo and Drama been telling me to play it for years and I always brushed them off, oh well better late than never!

creid

I did the math: if I keep doing moogle dailies I'll have all my crafting classes at 60 in about 40 days, and I'll have the rest of the anima items in 26 days (just in time for them to nerf that step), which means I never have to do any other dailies again!
(not until the next time)

dramatis

Started back up this weekend and re-subbed for 6 months. Did a couple dungeons that are required for the story and really enjoyed them so far and just now doing my first mission for the Scion. Story seems to be getting good. Kagari, Shamdeo and Drama been telling me to play it for years and I always brushed them off, oh well better late than never!
I wasn't part of that nagging crew

Zalasta

I applied to the free company, since I knew there's a pretty active and friendly community for the game on GAF and I know MMOs are at their best when you have people to play them with. (Also, Gather Against Fate is the sickest name) So I figured I'd post this to give my thoughts on the game and, more importantly, to say hi to everyone here, so I didn't just say nothing to no one before applying.

Welcome, always nice to have fresh blood who is excited about the game.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I would really like to be able to tell square how hilariously not okay this gamesmaster deal is. :/
You can always send the email to their support/post on the official forums (I bet there's an active thread with a ton of angry people) or tweet at them. There's a very low chance that someone important will notice it.

Salt is real in here, lol. Wow, SE....

Anyhow, I'm probably debating on another Hyperconductive weapon since I'm close. I'm generally torn between blm and WAR right now. I noticed that the blm 240 is BiS since the 245 savage a8 weapon has no crit though. The Axe is also really good though. Decisions decisions....

Top Bottom