• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

jorgeton

Just play Final Fantasy Record Keeper and buy things with real money

I've been wanting to go to Garlemald since like forever. You got to infiltrate Arcadia in FFXII so why not here?!

If they pull a Bioware and let me join the Empire's side and get a whole different story progression, I promise I would stay subbed forever. FOREVER.

I get the feeling they're saving the Empire for way down the line. Like, close to the end of FFXIV's life cycle. The way they're slooooowly dragging out Empire stuff has me believing they're the true big bad and we won't be visiting them directly for a long long time.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
2Sq7M2b.jpg

Holy DPS, batman.
Got 1% on this guy a few times before.

Getting to Fuck You Everything Explodes phase (3rd Glory) pretty consistently now, still think this fight is pretty tough (like, Savage tough). But, this is with pugs so idk.

Squishy3

They probably aren't going to be doing anything for awhile considering the two Garlean antagonists were the nutjobs of the empire and the new emperor was just like "yo sup bye"

Allard

I was actually thinking about if they do Ala Mhigo next expansion what I would love is instead of having the expansion main city become the hub early on (Like Ishgard) they design the story around the focus of liberating Ala Mhigo and that the city itself is one of the last zones we unlock and it becomes the new hub city. Part of the reason I want it to happen at the end is so we still get this great liberation arc but actually allow SE the freedom to build it up, return to former glory if you will as it goes through 4.X expansion storyline much like Idyleshire and Revenant's Toll without having the situation of Ishgard where the city doesnt really change from the beginning of the 3.0 story-line to the end of it because it was introduced so early on for large parts of the story narrative.

Omni

Thordan is a healing nightmare. Though I am doing it with random people, but still. Haven't seen past the end of the meteor dps check yet >.>

Omni

I like healing it. Actually requires pre-planning and cooldowns like a proper raid encounter for a change.
Oh yeah, I'm having a hell of a lot of fun. Just hit i200 on my WHM tonight too, so I've been marvelling at my 11k crit heals. Haha

It's just that it seems we hit a wall there. Which is kinda daunting to think about considering how much more there is to the fight. Might have to start looking for a group or something to do these things with, I suppose. Love to try Savage out too

iammeiam

Can confirm we no longer get the second LB3 in A3S with two casters and a MCH. Barely over the second bar around the time we usually get the third (with a death). This makes the fight considerably harder on the first clear, and it apparently wasn't reverted in the emergency hot fix. They really, really need to rework the base concept before 3.2, not just delay it.

Squishy3

nvm that doesn't work but paladins defensive cds are still really good for ths fight i think

HOLY FUCKING SHIT WE JUST GOT TO CONSTANT METEORS ON METEOR DPS PART WHAT THE FUCK

I've been levelling up Machinist today and I like it a lot now that I'm more comfortable with the skills (lvl 36).

Am I right in thinking that the combo is 1-2-1-3-2-1-3-2-1-3-2-1-3-etc assuming I get all the procs?

Am I right in thinking that the combo is 1-2-1-3-2-1-3-2-1-3-2-1-3-etc assuming I get all the procs?

After a while of leveling it, you just kind of get used to whether or not something procs and you will automatically react with the right button next, or at least that's how it worked after I got the hang of it.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
omg

I think the new update brought up/in a lot of the lesser skilled players, wiping in Alex Basic and rage quitters.

Went and got the /golddance. Time to make an appropriate Japanese pop idol glamour to go with it...

Or wait for the inevitable FFXV crossover event and its armor sets!

Well yeah. The new design is super try-hard.
It's still leagues better than the super bland design Thancred had in 2.0.

Other spoilery stuff:

Ala Mhigo is obviously where we're going for 4.0. Question is will we be reunited with Yda and Papalymo before then...? (We probably will.)

I personally hope we don't get a Nice Job Breaking It, Hero trope where it's revealed Hydalyn is the one weakening the planet/universe/reality and we, the Warriors of Light, are accelerating this, and the Warriors of Darkness are actually in the right. It's a trope that's done a bit in the RPG genre and I would like the WoD gang to be just straight forwardly evil. But, that's just me.

Void Ark was fun, but atm you either need to run it asap on Tuesday when there's actually decent queue times, or be doomed to DF times ludicrously longer than any of the CT raids. The reward system for it definitely needs a reworking. Good atmosphere, music, and more engaging story than Alexander so far, though.

Exploratory stuff is where it's at apparently and can be real fun when you have a pre-made alliance or most - if not all - of the parties are cooperating. Pulls can get insane, but that's part of the charm. I can definitely sense it being easy to burn out on though as it's ol' school MMO territory.

Good patch is good, overall, and is what the game needed, though I wish the wait hadn't have been as long.

I get the feeling they're saving the Empire for way down the line. Like, close to the end of FFXIV's life cycle. The way they're slooooowly dragging out Empire stuff has me believing they're the true big bad and we won't be visiting them directly for a long long time.

From the what I read about the overall story prior to the story before 3.0 leads me to believe they're actually acting in the greater good of the planet.

Story spoiler:
Wasn't the whole reason they invaded Eorzea in the first place was to stop primal summonings from happening which is hastening the death of the planet.

edit: The idling camera is all over the place. Its fun to watch what it picks up.

Jayhawk

First full-alliance Diadem hard mode attempt was fun. We learned some useful information for future runs.

If GAF unlocks hard mode tomorrow night, I will be trying to organize 24-48 person runs at 9PM eastern and midnight eastern. Gathering will take some time, and the runs themselves take 90 minutes.

BLCKATK

First full-alliance Diadem hard mode attempt was fun. We learned some useful information for future runs.

If GAF unlocks hard mode tomorrow night, I will be trying to organize 24-48 person runs at 9PM eastern and midnight eastern. Gathering will take some time, and the runs themselves take 90 minutes.

Mind sharing some knowledge? I'm gonna be unlocking hard mode for my FC tomorrow night.

Valor

I've been levelling up Machinist today and I like it a lot now that I'm more comfortable with the skills (lvl 36).

more or less yes this way you always have a proc available for you to pop, so you always have movement options and dps options available to you. Then it becomes using quick reload intelligently and what Haman said, you'll eventually get a "feel" for the procs and how to do the things in a goodly way.

Jayhawk

Mind sharing some knowledge? I'm gonna be unlocking hard mode for my FC tomorrow night.

While Fresh Tracks could either pop rank V or stars in normal mode, they seem to always pop stars in hard mode. The health pools of all mobs are increased, and there are islands with rank Vs roaming. Being in control of trash mobs and not just rushing to pop stars when fresh tracks pop is important because you can get overwhelmed and wipe. Focus on killing as many trash mobs as possible to trigger the foul presence messages until it says it's on top of you.

How cooperative the other parties are should determine whether you're farming rank 4/5s between fresh tracks or 3/4s. Star ranks can pop from the fresh tracks you trigger by killing more and more mobs. Star ranks also pop randomly on the map when you see the 'murderous intent' message. You might want to send a few scouts to look for the star rank pop for those times.

Ravidrath

Anyone having issues with the Duty Finder since 3.1 dropped?

I thought they were supposed to be improving the algorithm, but it seems to have gotten worse.

1. Queuing for duties still resets frustratingly. You're waiting patiently, and then you randomly get bumped into another group, starting over from scratch.

2. Right now trying to queue for Expert Roulette, and it's doing the same thing in #1, AND it's showing all roles at 0/1, 0/2, etc. even though we're obviously in the party.

Ken

I thought they were supposed to be improving the algorithm, but it seems to have gotten worse.

1. Queuing for duties still resets frustratingly. You're waiting patiently, and then you randomly get bumped into another group, starting over from scratch.

2. Right now trying to queue for Expert Roulette, and it's doing the same thing in #1, AND it's showing all roles at 0/1, 0/2, etc. even though we're obviously in the party.

I think #1 happened before to me before 3.1 but I only really noticed it if I'm staring at the Duty Finder window which I usually don't. It's like it always almost fills up sans 1 person and then drops everyone and starts over with just you.

#2 is a weird one though. Maybe just the UI not displaying proper numbers?

WolvenOne

Last I heard there was a bug with the duty finder. I'm not entirely certain what it's doing, but there's been a certain amount of complaints. I thinks they're supposed to be working on getting it fixed right now.

After a while of leveling it, you just kind of get used to whether or not something procs and you will automatically react with the right button next, or at least that's how it worked after I got the hang of it.

more or less yes this way you always have a proc available for you to pop, so you always have movement options and dps options available to you. Then it becomes using quick reload intelligently and what Haman said, you'll eventually get a "feel" for the procs and how to do the things in a goodly way.

I see, I remember vaguely reading something about how MCH's combo isn't best done in a 1-2-3 fashion so I just wanted to make sure.

Also about quick reload, I should be using that like a Scholar's Aetherflow right? By that I mean prepping it before the fight by using Reload then using Quick Reload to refresh the 30s time limit since Quick Reload has a 15s cooldown so that by the time I start the next fight I have Reload (hopefully) off cooldown with 5 bullets up?

Ken

I see, I remember vaguely reading something about how MCH's combo isn't best done in a 1-2-3 fashion so I just wanted to make sure.

Also about quick reload, I should be using that like a Scholar's Aetherflow right? By that I mean prepping it before the fight by using Reload then using Quick Reload to refresh the 30s time limit since Quick Reload has a 15s cooldown so that by the time I start the next fight I have Reload (hopefully) off cooldown with 5 bullets up?

You don't do 1-2-3 if you have ammo because doing 3 will use up an ammo for the potency buff that could have been used by a second 1 to proc another 2, hence why it's 1-2-1-3.

Yeah, you can refresh the timer on ammo with QR. I believe that you only benefit from 2 or 3 ammo pre-pull if doing the standard single target MCH opener as delaying Reload screws stuff up, but not 100% sure.

Omni

These are good, yes? Dropped last night. I wasn't sure if they were any better than the regular eso ones as the stats are a bit different.

P9weWv.png

Also the fact that the icon is pink is driving me insane. All the rest of my gear is blue... >.>

IvorB

These are good, yes? Dropped last night. I wasn't sure if they were any better than the regular eso ones as the stats are a bit different.

P9weWv.png

Also the fact that the icon is pink is driving me insane. All the rest of my gear is blue... >.>

Yeah I know it's rough. The could have at least made it green but, no, it's straight-up pink. Can't argue with the stats though.

iammeiam

Yeah, you can refresh the timer on ammo with QR. I believe that you only benefit from 2 or 3 ammo pre-pull if doing the standard single target MCH opener as delaying Reload screws stuff up, but not 100% sure.

5-ammo preload screws up stuff lining back up with Reload a little (since you hit it 3 GCDs later in the fight, it won't come back up exactly alongside your buffs when you get to the third set in a fight) but that can be kind of irrelevant depending on the fight. Pretty much any time you have to sit on buffs (A1S because the Oppressors jump right as your buffs come back for the third round, A2S because A2S is weird, A3S for HoP, A4S because of the Manipulator/Mortal Rev segments between legs, Thordan to blow them on dual knights instead of fake DPS check knight, etc) the natural timing of everything will take a hit anyway and ammo coming back up late might not matter. 2 Ammo Preload is basically a 40 potency boost during opener (hits Hot Shot and Lead Shot that generally go unammo'd); 5 ammo can be 100 potency but 1.) takes a while to set up so you need a minute before the pull, but also falls off if you don't QR spam to keep it up which will probably happen if you have 5 minutes until the pull and 2.) is really easy to overwrite by hitting Reload at the normal time due to muscle memory of the ridiculous opener. I do it sometimes when I feel adventurous.

Top Bottom