• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Omni

So two months or so ago I was in the GAF Free Company for a little while. I left after a couple of weeks because I changed back to my old server (Lamia).

Well I'm thinking that I might transfer back to Ultros again. Too much drama in my current free company and it's making enjoyment of the game kinda hard for me. Stressful, to be honest! Haha. If I do that, would I be able to rejoin you guys or did I screw myself over?

Is theGAF FC really role playing? Saw that the other day on FC info. I'm not in it.
Role play? o:

tearsofash

So here's my fan theory:

The Brachiosaurs cast Meteor. They made themselves go extinct. FFXIV takes place in pre-history and is the last title in the "all FF takes place in the same universe" theory.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Played Alex 20+ odd times in two days, got only two drops, one that I didn't need right away but only rolled after I saw my low number on what I was actually going for.

I then decided to do Diadem for the first 2 times and in the 1st time, my rando team abandons me before I can attune to the current then accuses me of leeching, starts talking shit to each other, two DPS bail and we're down to 6 and there is no join in progress. We can't get any chest now unless me or the other healer does DPS, they volunteer. It seems like a bunch of boring mob fights until the big bads with good loots spawn. All in all for 90 minutes I got maybe two items. One which was a 150 and the other a 210 necklace.

Second Diadem run the team tries to mad dash each Aether current, this doesn't work. One of our DPS helps get our act together and we clear some mobs so we can get these currents, hooray. Only now our Tank decides it's a good time to leech off the rolls and only show up for the V and ✮ and only after we tell him to get over to where we are. There is no way to kick players and there is no join in progress. The Black Mage on our team is kindly asking people to pass on BLM items if we don't need them. I oblige though the other teammates don't seem to really care, near the end as in the last 30 seconds or so a 210 BLM Hat drops, he doesn't get it, but one of our bards do. I felt so bad for that guy. :(

suzu

So two months or so ago I was in the GAF Free Company for a little while. I left after a couple of weeks because I changed back to my old server (Lamia).

Well I'm thinking that I might transfer back to Ultros again. Too much drama in my current free company and it's making enjoyment of the game kinda hard for me. Stressful, to be honest! Haha. If I do that, would I be able to rejoin you guys or did I screw myself over?

Just send an in-game application with a comment about you being a returning player.

Played Alex 20+ odd times in two days, got only two drops, one that I didn't need right away but only rolled after I saw my low number on what I was actually going for.

I then decided to do Diadem for the first 2 times and in the 1st time, my rando team abandons me before I can attune to the current then accuses me of leeching, starts talking shit to each other, two DPS bail and we're down to 6 and there is no join in progress. We can't get any chest now unless me or the other healer does DPS, they volunteer. It seems like a bunch of boring mob fights until the big bads with good loots spawn. All in all for 90 minutes I got maybe two items. One which was a 150 and the other a 210 necklace.

Second Diadem run the team tries to mad dash each Aether current, this doesn't work. One of our DPS helps get our act together and we clear some mobs so we can get these currents, hooray. Only now our Tank decides it's a good time to leech off the rolls and only show up for the V and ✮ and only after we tell him to get over to where we are. There is no way to kick players and there is no join in progress. The Black Mage on our team is kindly asking people to pass on BLM items if we don't need them. I oblige though the other teammates don't seem to really care, near the end as in the last 30 seconds or so a 210 BLM Hat drops, he doesn't get it, but one of our bards do. I felt so bad for that guy. :(

DF Diadem is a nightmare. I'd suggest making a PF group with clearly stated intentions or running with a full party from your FC - coordination really makes or breaks a Diadem run, and you can actually need on stuff rather than greed against everyone (who will automatically roll on everything that drops regardless) if you go in as a full party.

BLCKATK

DF Diadem is a nightmare. I'd suggest making a PF group with clearly stated intentions or running with a full party from your FC - coordination really makes or breaks a Diadem run, and you can actually need on stuff rather than greed against everyone (who will automatically roll on everything that drops regardless) if you go in as a full party.

Yeah honestly I think it's really on SE how much they underestimated how shitty MMORPG communities can be. The system relies a lot on people cooperating and working together. Works really well in a premade with set goals, but Duty Finder? 9/10 runs will be toxic as hell, and most players in retaliation from the toxicity they receive will either never run the content again or refuse to cooperate with other players while in there on the next run, spreading the misfortune around. It's really aggravating.

Sifl

Some people in my fc are part of the same static and they let me tag along on Thordan Ex with them, guessing someone didn't show up. We got it to 35%, honestly doesn't seem to bad of a fight. When I messed up (mainly because I had never seen certain parts of it before) it was pretty easy to understand what I should've done without being in their teamspeak to get an explanation. The mechanics don't seem difficult at all, only difficult part is the amount of them going on at once in latter half of fight. Not looking forward to going back to pugging after how well this went.

The final portion of the fight is the biggest clusterfuckof mechanics in existence, isn't it?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Some people in my fc are part of the same static and they let me tag along on Thordan Ex with them, guessing someone didn't show up. We got it to 35%, honestly doesn't seem to bad of a fight. When I messed up (mainly because I had never seen certain parts of it before) it was pretty easy to understand what I should've done without being in their teamspeak to get an explanation. The mechanics don't seem difficult at all, only difficult part is the amount of them going on at once in latter half of fight. Not looking forward to going back to pugging after how well this went.

The final portion of the fight is the biggest clusterfuckof mechanics in existence, isn't it?

No, just a really big healer check. lol

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I'll have to try that but even though the FC I'm in is one of the top FC's on the server(much lower on the overall ranking) it's still difficult organizing a group because while I do have a couple players I can rely on in a time of need a lot of the people are either busy doing their own thing or not caught up.

Did Diadem for the first time today via duty finder and wow that was something else.

the first five or so minutes were us getting our acts together to get the aether currents followed by 80 minutes of straight monster killing. Brachiosaurs spawned a few times. The first time was an absolute bloodbath and it wiped out every party that was present after it used Meteor. After everyone came back we killed and and kept on fighting and fighting. Had some good drops but none of the good stuff was healer stuff like I wanted.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
No, just a really big healer check. lol

It's not any more of a healer check than it is a DPS or tank check. Everybody needs to be competent. It's just a new T9. There's no particular healer mechanics that need extra finesse and only few phases even have considerable damage output.
Unless you consider everything that isn't whackamole a healer check but then, those aren't good healers.

If they keep seeing sub numbers decline, you can expect everything to be in the cash shop soon.

Maybe they'll sell Private Mortgage Insurance in the cash shop so people who are unsubbed but plan to return periodically can keep their houses during their unsubbed period.

Omni

I'm waiting for the Mr. Happy Thordan guide. Haha.

I can quite comfortably get to the comets or whatever they are with random groups. But at that point EVERYONE is usually taking so much damage that's it's almost impossible to keep up. It's either the AoEs [? The blue markers] at the Knights messing all the DPS up, or the tanks are left trying to survive three or whatever limit breaks with the healers [me] trying to scavenge every last drop of MP we have to top them off and res people. Which after they use their cooldowns, isn't possible. In the off chance we do get to comets, DPS usually drop off like flies for some reason and we can't beat the check. And then you have the random deaths at the dive bomb things. Just a mess!

I don't even want to think about the rest of the fight right now.

Question! Does Virus affect the Knight's limit break in that opening bit? I've been using it but honestly can't tell if it makes a difference.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Top killers in Diadem: Ledges, Brachiosaurs, more ledges.

Also datamined atma lookin' things get ready.

Yoshida said:
Including the short ones, I'd say there are about 5 steps. There may be a lot of people who won't really want to do the first step... At the very least, I'd choose to skip it if I could. *laughs*

*laughs*

Sifl

It's 9 a.m and there's only a 25 min wait for pvp. New content has failed, game is dead again.

I'm fine with this, I genuinely like pvp.

IvorB

Yeah honestly I think it's really on SE how much they underestimated how shitty MMORPG communities can be. The system relies a lot on people cooperating and working together. Works really well in a premade with set goals, but Duty Finder? 9/10 runs will be toxic as hell, and most players in retaliation from the toxicity they receive will either never run the content again or refuse to cooperate with other players while in there on the next run, spreading the misfortune around. It's really aggravating.

Well on the other side of the coin, I've been running Diadem A LOT via DF and it's been absolutely fine. It's been exactly as SE advertised actually: blowing up dinos, working together to complete objectives, blowing up dinos etc. The last run I was in we even discussed and agreed loot rules between us to allow people to get the 210s they needed.

Anyways, I really need help. My targeting is driving me nuts in the diadem with so many people and items everywhere. Is there a way to just snap to an enemy immediately? Sometimes when I try to target the enemy I end up locking onto treasure chests, other players etc and it's taking me ages to target the monster. I tried pressing the L1+O which is supposed to cycle between enemies but this does nothing.

aceface

Well on the other side of the coin, I've been running Diadem A LOT via DF and it's been absolutely fine. It's been exactly as SE advertised actually: blowing up dinos, working together to complete objectives, blowing up dinos etc. The last run I was in we even discussed and agreed loot rules between us to allow people to get the 210s they needed.

Anyways, I really need help. My targeting is driving me nuts in the diadem with so many people and items everywhere. Is there a way to just snap to an enemy immediately? Sometimes when I try to target the enemy I end up locking onto treasure chests, other players etc and it's taking me ages to target the monster. I tried pressing the L1+O which is supposed to cycle between enemies but this does nothing.

L2 + R1 should cycle only through enemies like tab targeting.

Ken

PLD consistently has the best looking relics.

Also reminder that they've shown the new job relics already so you don't have to squint if you're one of those jobs.

9ZCVgh9.png

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
DRG looks a little too anime like the Gae Bolg again, but it also doesn't look like it'll be as bad as the Longinus so I'll take it.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
SMN book better have some holographic pages or something else rad.

Sifl

Just had a pvp match where the Flames were in third and Adders were in first. The Flames spawn camped us and the adders took the nodes for the rest of the match and won easily, we were only in 2nd by like 50 points to.

WolvenOne

Alex rolls are completely fucked, this is comically frustrating.

Yeah, I knew DFing Alex at this point would be a nightmare, since there's no Need on ANYTHING! Hopefully they move to a slightly different system for the next tier. Normal drops with a token to counteract bad RNG.

Or, just tokens that automatically fall into your inventory, but a limit on how many you can exchange for armor per week. Something! In the short term, try to pre-form a party going in and farm that way. If you all go in with a certain expectation of what everyone needs and how long they'll be there, farming should be more productive.

Sifl

Alex rolls are completely fucked, this is comically frustrating.
Shouldve at least made it so you can only get 1 thing per run. Wouldn't completely fix the problem but you could at least have a slightly better chance at getting what you want, if you get anything at all.

xxczx

Treat DF Diadem as your onestop gathering station. Queue as full pre-made if you want chance at a successful Diadem run.

HM Diadem is amazing too, just non-stop burning IVs, Vs and NMs.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Went and got a maid and butler for my house and was disappointed to discover that I couldn't customize them other than choosing gender and race. If there's anything I want complete control over, it's designing a cat girl in a maid outfit. T_T

Isaccard

Went and got a maid and butler for my house and was disappointed to discover that I couldn't customize them other than choosing gender and race. If there's anything I want complete control over, it's designing a cat girl in a maid outfit. T_T

Shameful.

Dunan

Time to give out some props! First to Myra Oriales (I don't know your GAF name; only your in-game name) for crafting a Sky Pirate coat that I bought on the market board for perhaps 700k gil which, along with one other purchased sky pirate item, pushed my item level right to 170 and opened up all kinds of new content that I wasn't sure I could reach this time around!

(I followed this by buying a second copy of one of the i185 pieces of equipment and then sold it for enough of a profit
paid 490k, sold for 1100k
that I almost wasn't out of pocket in the end. And I wouldn't have minded the spending because I made a mint on the market board when 3.0 first came out. Still have 13M gil and I'm a casual!)

Second big commendation goes to the GAF party which cleared all four stages of Alexander normal in rapid succession. It is so much easier to learn a fight when surrounded by competent players who will get the job done.

I really liked this whole chain of quests. Awesome music -- time to look up those lyrics! -- funky goblin speech, cool German monster names.

And here is a wonderful piece of trivia that makes me love the FFXIV creators even more than I already did: during this quest, there is a signal coming from inside the colossus, and it's dot dash, dot dash dot dot.

If you read it as Morse code, you either get AL or AX depending on whether you're using the American or international system. Both fine abbreviations for Alexander!

Can you believe how much genius is being poured into this game? Hear me, SE? Give Michael Christopher Koji Fox a big raise!

WolvenOne

So, I've cleared KotR Extreme a couple times now, and there are my thoughts.

It's a rather fun fight, but it does take a bit of practice and troubleshooting to get it right. Less so if you've done most of the fights in this game and have seen these mechanics before, but even then it takes a bit of work. Probably the hardest part is the Tethers/Gaze/ShivaBombs/Poor-Mans Protean Wave. Mostly because the aoe marker for that last one can be really hard to see.

That said, near the end of 3.2, or the middle of 3.3, this fight will become absurdly easy! Since Thorden doesn't actually have that much health, people will start killing it earlier and earlier. Eventually we won't even see the mechanic I mentioned in the previous paragraph.

Top Bottom