• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

thefil

Anyone know the difference between the "Before the Fall" and "Before Meteor" OSTs? If I want one FFXIV soundtrack, what should I buy?

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Hey everyone. I just got the game. I'm going through the first time set up now. Quick question. How do you communicate in the game? Do you talk through headsets or do you chat via in game phrases or use a keyboard?

Squishy3

Hey everyone. I just got the game. I'm going through the first time set up now. Quick question. How do you communicate in the game? Do you talk through headsets or do you chat via in game phrases or use a keyboard?
Normal text chat, there's also an auto translate dictionary. If you're playing on a console you can use a USB keyboard.

suzu

Anyone know the difference between the "Before the Fall" and "Before Meteor" OSTs? If I want one FFXIV soundtrack, what should I buy?

Well, they all have different songs and come with different in-game minions.

- http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Before_Meteor:_Final_Fantasy_XIV_Original_Soundtrack
- http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XIV:_A_Realm_Reborn_Original_Soundtrack
- http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Before_The_Fall:_Final_Fantasy_XIV_Original_Soundtrack

Xux

Before Meteor is the 1.0 soundtrack up to the rerelease. Before the Fall is the music from the patches following wherever the ARR soundtrack leaves off. Before Meteor's a lot of post-Black Mages synth rock Uematsu (with still plenty of variety plus some other composers) the other two are mostly Soken and his crazy awesome range.

FQalcqX.jpg

Perfect healer.

Can't believe people will go to Diadem all day just to poke dinos for 90 minutes at a time, there has to be more interesting areas than that.

Cmagus

Can't believe people will go to Diadem all day just to poke dinos for 90 minutes at a time, there has to be more interesting areas than that.

Try doing something different you'll quickly see how grown adults become children Diadem is a shit show right now. I went on a run tonight to gather for a bit I needed to get some Pterodactyls and a few other mats and my god this guy threw such a massive tantrum. I offered to help on the S ranks but this guy went off getting all pissed, coming over and pulling mobs on me while I was fishing.

I don't think they really thought Diadem through that well or they honestly thought that the community would all hold hands and work together lol.

This is the same complaint people had about Hunts.

Of course the reality is that in all games, you ultimately always go to this one place to poke/shoot/stab/set on fire things to get stuff. It just seems the most nihilistic in MMOs because you have to cooperate with other people to do this and most of the time the other people don't actually care if you live or die, they just want the stuff too. It's Diablo on the scale of millions.

Yeah it's called the Commonwealth.

There's some interesting quests in the Commonwealth, kinda wish more MMOs made questing more interesting than "Kill X", "Gather Y", and "Use DF for this one boss fight and then go back to killing X and gathering Y for another 10 hours".

Then I realize the modern MMO only has quests so players can bumrush their way to level cap and then have nothing to do and quit if they don't raid. Then my whole idea falls apart.

At least we have the Commonwealth.

Teknoman

Then I realize the modern MMO only has quests so players can bumrush their way to level cap and then have nothing to do and quit if they don't raid. Then my whole idea falls apart.

At least we have the Commonwealth.

There was that one guy that had a video that stated Modern MMOs suck. Not because they are bad games, but because now they are missing the whole point (or what used to be the point) of MMORPGs. Losing the adventurous factor with every new game it seems.

At least with XIV you can still experience a great story and world with others, even though the actual traversal and some of the dungeons/boss battles are lacking.

When is Edda making a return?

My most relaxing time in Diadem when 8 FC members decided to hop in to do 3 objectives for the easy eso and then most dipped out to do more fun things while a few of us hung around to gather in peace. A nice change of pace from Dino Hunter XIV.

Ketsen

Maybe it was the years of FFXI grinding, but I'm still enjoying Dynamis-Dinosaur Island Diadem. Things like figuring out optimal chest-farming locations and trying to find any sort of pattern in how long the different messages towards fresh tracks worked were the types of things that interested me, kind of like when XI originally introduced Abyssea and people started compiling data on how lights and kill chains operated. Probably not on the same level of actual info needed, but it's a nice start!

Working with multiple parties/alliances on the occasions where they don't have a few tree branches up their collective asses, along with the ability of changing classes mid-instance, makes it a nice change of pace to doing the same old scripted boss fights over and over. The complete randomness of the loot stats/glamour is interesting too; probably not the fairest method but it's one of the simplest ways to tempt people to run it a bunch to hopefully luck out. At least until 3.2 makes it mostly obsolete in several months, anyway.

Though it probably helps that I always went with entertaining parties. Knowing you're going in with fun people ahead of time helps make the actual instance that much more fun and less stressful/boring.

Plus watching a giant dinosaur summoning a meteor down on a piece of an island that's just floating around in the middle of sky never gets old.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
The problem with the Diadem is that it is dead and shallow content. Why are we hunting for gear? What is the ultimate point? Accumulating yet another goddamn currency! The actual fun of exploring a thing with fellow adventures runs out in a couple lockouts. It should have been a procedurally generated layout with gear assisting in proceeding farther and farther against increasing odds. Diablo? Why yes.

This is sloppy. Even raiding as it is is more fun because there is excitement of downing a complex fight together. The Diadem was a mistake. Nothing but trash.

Ken

What is the ultimate point?

If you have to ask that about everything you do then nothing is fun.

Diadem has been entertaining as a "turn off brain for 90 minutes" kind of thing when I have time to kill and I don't want to do something actually productive.

In a game that's just been about checking off things to do daily off a list, it's somewhat refreshing to have a thing you just do if the opportunity pops up and you're feeling it. It's also something you don't have to do and you won't feel like you're behind other players if you choose not to. Yeah, it's shallow content but it's decent enough for a first iteration.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
If you have to ask that about everything you do then nothing is fun.

Diadem has been entertaining as a "turn off brain for 90 minutes" kind of thing when I have time to kill and I don't want to do something actually productive.

In a game that's just been about checking off things to do daily off a list, it's somewhat refreshing to have a thing you just do if the opportunity pops up and you're feeling it. It's also something you don't have to do and you won't feel like you're behind other players if you choose not to. Yeah, it's shallow content but it's decent enough for a first iteration.

That's not quite what I meant. For a game to be fun there needs to be a balance of challenge and reward. When it's a repeating 90-minute loot pinata with no challenge or diversity, that also manages to ruin already poorly thought out overall player progression, well the only time that thing can even touch the "fun" is when we dick around on Teamspeak with our FC fellows.

Isaccard

That's not quite what I meant. For a game to be fun there needs to be a balance of challenge and reward. When it's a repeating 90-minute loot pinata with no challenge or diversity, that also manages to ruin already poorly thought out overall player progression, well the only time that thing can even touch the "fun" is when we dick around on Teamspeak with our FC fellows.

Dino's aren't challenging enough for you?

Jesus, you people are never satisfied

/s

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member

We have a mumble set up with stuff in the OP, but in game it's all chat like Squishy said.

iammeiam

that also manages to ruin already poorly thought out overall player progression

I have been trying to figure out why anything is still on lockout in a post-Diadem world. It has to just be because it's the way they've always done it, because time gating gear is just pointless now.

Zomba13

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Friendly reminder that it's okay to have fun in a video game.

Please leave, this is an MMO.

Why are they going so hard in on Firion? The costume is cool and all and that barding is nice but is there a reason?

Basically, I'm still mad we didn't get some kind of FF Type-0 Class 0 uniform with dyeable cape.

Firion's probably more relevant than them despite coming from the worst mainline FF game.

Sorian

Banned
My most relaxing time in Diadem when 8 FC members decided to hop in to do 3 objectives for the easy eso and then most dipped out to do more fun things while a few of us hung around to gather in peace. A nice change of pace from Dino Hunter XIV.

This post is hilarious to me. It reads like someone remembering something fondly that has been around for a year. Dinodem is only a week old.

Sounds like a sh*t party...

Yeah, I find it interesting to what kinds of outfits people come up with in MMOs, whether it's scantily clad or not. Final Fantasy XIV is one of the few MMOs I've seen with light clothing being available for men and women characters so it's cool to see people embrace that.

As for Roe's running around in speedos, I think the reason there's a reputation for it is because they are much bigger than the other races so they are much easier to notice compared to some of the smaler ones like Hyur/Miqote. So the number of people wearing that kind of clothing on Hyur/Miqote might be similar but they aren't as noticeable as the larger Roe's so they don't get pointed out as much.

studyguy

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/help/option_service/veteran_rewards/

veteran rewards updated.

something that should have been included with the previous reward in the first place

what a waste of space lmao

I want that barding, but it def should have been there before.

Also I ran void ark last night and people seem to treat it like the most difficult thing in the world god damn. We had to kick two healers since we kept straight up dying to bleeding despite being clumped around our healers.

creid

I ran normal Diadem on Monday through DF and on dino island we got a bunch of gold chests and like 7 NMs before I had to skip out to go to work. I did hard Diadem with FC last night and in 90 min we only got credit for 1 / 7 NMs, and only got 1 gold chest. Not everyone had i200 weapons, I guess that makes a big difference?

Why are we hunting for gear? What is the ultimate point?
I'm hunting for gear so that I don't have to cap eso for the next few months.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Last night, my girlfriend and I decided to run DREX. After the first boss, the tank tells her "We don't need Swiftsong" (which she, a BRD, played after every pack) and they Vote Kick her. I think we both stared at our screens for a good minute in pure confusion. I drop party afterwards (while wondering if I completely missed the Vota Dismiss screen on my end because I never saw it.) and eat the 30m penalty.

SE sure has fostered itself a wonderful community.

Sorian

Banned

I will not disagree that that is a shitty story because it completely is.

That being said though, this is probably the tamest community I've seen in an MMO in awhile. A lot of MMO communities are filled with vile hate, for the more part, FFXIV's problem is that it is filled with entitled little shits.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I will not disagree that that is a shitty story because it completely is.

That being said though, this is probably the tamest community I've seen in an MMO in awhile. A lot of MMO communities are filled with vile hate, for the more part, FFXIV's problem is that it is filled with entitled little shits.

I'm sure there is some vile hate in there as well. I just don't go to the official forums to find it.

Sorian

Banned
I'm sure there is some vile hate in there as well. I just don't go to the official forums to find it.

To be fair, I don't really peruse subreddits or forums (official or not except for GAF) for any of the MMOs I play, my view is 100% just from seeing shout chat or general chat or whatever its called in respective MMOs.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Last night, my girlfriend and I decided to run DREX. After the first boss, the tank tells her "We don't need Swiftsong" (which she, a BRD, played after every pack) and they Vote Kick her. I think we both stared at our screens for a good minute in pure confusion. I drop party afterwards (while wondering if I completely missed the Vota Dismiss screen on my end because I never saw it.) and eat the 30m penalty.

People being dumb. There's no logic behind that kick and there's not much SE can do to make people not be idiots.

Top Bottom