• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I just got the game. I've been trying to register all night. I'm finally in the final stages. As long as my power holds out I should be good to go. Would it be okay to join The GAF Free Company now, or do I need to wait and level up?

Buying the old two, if they're new/sealed and were original run editions, should have minion codes that still work, right? I just bought them off Amazon because I forgot I never got them and want those two minions.

Also next time frickin Gen and Fei tell me "just one more" in a damn Thordan EX farm, I need to say no. Staying up till 5:30am was a terrible idea in retrospect. At least I stole won a lot of weapons and am free to spend my tokens on the barding if I cared.

And SCIENCE lives. I got serious discussions to begin about solo tank/heal Thordan EX. But then it sadly was squashed when somebody complained people still die to tethers.

Silvawuff

An issue in "Alexander - The Burden of the Father" wherein the boss "The Manipulator" could be affected by knockback.

I would have loved to see this...oh god.

I think Diadem would be more interesting if they made dino island less interesting and made other stuff drop besides random ilvl/glam/token pink gear, or maybe add in some other things to do besides gather or kill stuff for 90 mins.

Sorian

Banned
Buying the old two, if they're new/sealed and were original run editions, should have minion codes that still work, right? I just bought them off Amazon because I forgot I never got them and want those two minions.

Also next time frickin Gen and Fei tell me "just one more" in a damn Thordan EX farm, I need to say no. Staying up till 5:30am was a terrible idea in retrospect. At least I stole won a lot of weapons and am free to spend my tokens on the barding if I cared.

We going to do 4 more tomorrow and my damn card still won't drop and by then no one will care about Thordan anymore D:

We going to do 4 more tomorrow and my damn card still won't drop and by then no one will care about Thordan anymore D:

Oh.

OH HO HO HO HO HO HO

Guess who got THREE CARDS in that session?

grinch-smile-o.gif

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The problem with the Diadem is that it is dead and shallow content. Why are we hunting for gear? What is the ultimate point? Accumulating yet another goddamn currency! The actual fun of exploring a thing with fellow adventures runs out in a couple lockouts. It should have been a procedurally generated layout with gear assisting in proceeding farther and farther against increasing odds. Diablo? Why yes.

This is sloppy. Even raiding as it is is more fun because there is excitement of downing a complex fight together. The Diadem was a mistake. Nothing but trash.

With fewer people doing the raid than ever, I don't think it really matters now. New stuff will be out in a few months anyway. If people want to endlessly grind for pink 210 stuff, let them. Getting drops with actual good stats is the real challenge.

Been in a few times myself and all that's dropped is junk.

rubius01

.....I want to say that those codes have expired??? I thought that they were only good for a year.

iammeiam

I think you mean replace all non-Brachiosaurs with Agrippas.

Throw in Pale Rider for a change of pace.

This is also acceptable.

I think Diadem would be more interesting if they made dino island less interesting and made other stuff drop besides random ilvl/glam/token pink gear, or maybe add in some other things to do besides gather or kill stuff for 90 mins.

Realistically, they need to set it up so it's not a 90 minute commitment to go in premade (shorter timer, allow parties to refill, something) and make an easy hassle-free way for gatherers to get in and out without conflict with chest farmers.

I think their great hope for keeping Diadem relevant/prevent it from acting like Hunts 2.0 in 3.2 is tokens for rank V materia, since crafted stuff is supposed to be competitive again and raid gear will take materia, but at the same time future content difficulty and the entire gear progression chain is so uncertain and fluid right now it's really hard to tell how that's going to pan out.

how does one go about getting re invited to the free company, was in it from ps4 launch for about a year but unfortunately got burnt out on the game just as heavensward was releasing so I've been kicked out

Just resubbed and would like to join back up again, I think I put through an application a year ago through the guildwork site if that means anything

suzu

Oh, expired minion codes is really lame. D:

I just got the game. I've been trying to register all night. I'm finally in the final stages. As long as my power holds out I should be good to go. Would it be okay to join The GAF Free Company now, or do I need to wait and level up?

Anyone can join at anytime, the only requirement is signing up on the guildworks site first. Check the OP~

how does one go about getting re invited to the free company, was in it from ps4 launch for about a year but unfortunately got burnt out on the game just as heavensward was releasing so I've been kicked out

Just resubbed and would like to join back up again, I think I put through an application a year ago through the guildwork site if that means anything

Just send an in-game application with a comment about being a returning player.

So where's shadow cat

Have to get DRK to 60 first. Unsynced parties reject lower level tanks (even over 50) cuz they can't hold hate against DPS with 5+ levels on them. Same deal with WAR. I'm getting there, though, slow and steady. Also those 3000 comms...guildhest spam as tank will be back.

I have 2 or 3 stacks of brass things and all I do is look at the Pegasus whistle and scoff.

Buy Rank V materia and sell it.

Squishy3

Watch the light step for the relic involve killing the V ranks too and nobody waits for others to show up to start killing them so the other groups can't get any light.

Also I guess 3.1 ending spoilers:

Our fight with Estinidhogg has to be in the Aery (Hard) right?

Sorian

Banned
Watch the light step for the relic involve killing the V ranks too and nobody waits for others to show up to start killing them so the other groups can't get any light

In HM, rank Vs are just the normal creatures standing out and about in the field.

Ken

For a game to be fun there needs to be a balance of challenge and reward.

Which is where I disagree again. For a game to be fun it just has to be fun.

I was also going in pre-patch saying it would be instanced hunts so maybe my expectations for Diadem were low enough.

Wilsongt

So has the Diadem HM really devolved into going to one island, standing on a rock, and killing Triceratops and banemites until S-ranks spawn?

WolvenOne

Okay, things are starting to settle post patch a bit, so I think I can come up with a good To-Do list for this patch.

1: Get A3S down at least, before it's nerfed. Get those sweet sweet Tank pants.

2: Finish getting PVP leveled to current max level.

3: Get a Small Armoror's Exterior built. Gadzooks this one is daunting. <_<;;

4: Get another class or to, to 60. I'll have Warrior and Dragoon geared about as well as I can manage in just a few weeks, so I'll really need more classes to work on at 60.

5: Replace Body, Belt, and Boots with something better out of Diadem. <_<;;

Ken

Okay, things are starting to settle post patch a bit, so I think I can come up with a good To-Do list for this patch.

1: Get A3S down at least, before it's nerfed. Get those sweet sweet Tank pants.

You now have access to twines, 210 chests, 210 pants, and i205 weapons. A3S is already nerfed.

WolvenOne

You now have access to twines, 210 chests, 210 pants, and i205 weapons. A3S is already nerfed.

Mechanically nerfed. I'm a tank, so there's only so much I can do to make up DPS shortcomings.

PS: I've already seen and dealt with all mechanics in the fight except one. (That orb thing that comes out near the end.)

PPS: Dude, come on, you know what I mean! Why do you have to be so difficult! XD

studyguy

They seem pretty big on talking about ass wiping and poop according to Reddit.

Honestly it doesn't seem all that different from what I've already seem parroted elsewhere. Just articulated differently. The meta is still largely out on tanks trying to tank rather than trying to DPS.

Gotta wipe those asses tho.

iammeiam

Nuadha you are a WAR you should be doing silly DPS.

This is a little unfair. A3S is easier with the catchup gear (and people rocking overstatted pinks may be bringing the equivalent of i215/i220 in some slots) , but it's only going to help groups that can actually do the fight. The rumored 3.15 maybe nerfs will probably be a whole other ballgame.

I mean, we're not downing A4S before we get Thordan weapons (...provided we ever actually convince people to go back after Thordan), and it'll ultimately be easier for us than it would have been otherwise, but I don't equate the weapon boost with a nerf because where we are wiping in the fight isn't even a DPS issue and hasn't been since we started cleanly and consistently hitting the leg 3 check. It's a mechanics issue and I don't think we can convince the Thordan weapons to mechanics for us (I actually expect a lot of "oops I killed my doll" whenever we get back in there.)

We're at the overgeared for Savage stage, but not the nerfed stage yet.

Murray97

Don't really like any of the new outfits they added to the mogstation.

I really wish they would add the lightning gear. I want it so bad.

WolvenOne

Nuadha you are a WAR you should be doing silly DPS.

I can push over a thousand on a dummy, but content is different for a multitude of reasons.

1: I never get pacification cleansed, ever. I might note that at least one of the healers whom outright refuses to even attempt to cleanse it, also has pointed out that other Warriors can do more DPS on the same content.

2: I have to play more defensively then I'd like. I can't even use little DPS tricks that I've picked up for A2S, because when I do things get a whole lot iffier and I have been known to die even at points where I shouldn't be taking much damage.

Not to badmouth my healers, but Warriors have a binary decision set here. We cannot both play defensively to make life easier for healers, AND max out our DPS.

Even If I could concentrate entirely on maxing out DPS at all times, it wouldn't improve overall group DPS to the extent that it'd make DPS checks consistently a non-issue.

PS: My group really hasn't been having trouble with the little micro-DPS checks within the fight recently, but we're about 1.5-to-2% behind where I'd like to be for the enrage DPS check. Our biggest issues have been people tripping up on mechanics, and several members being burnt out. 3.1 seems to have helped on the later a bit, hopefully it'll last until the clear.

Sorian

Banned
I can push over a thousand on a dummy, but content is different for a multitude of reasons.

1: I never get pacification cleansed, ever. I might note that at least one of the healers whom outright refuses to even attempt to cleanse it, also has pointed out that other Warriors can do more DPS on the same content.

2: I have to play more defensively then I'd like. I can't even use little DPS tricks that I've picked up for A2S, because when I do things get a whole lot iffier and I have been known to die even at points where I shouldn't be taking much damage.

Not to badmouth my healers, but Warriors have a binary decision set here. We cannot both play defensively to make life easier for healers, AND max out our DPS.

Even If I could concentrate entirely on maxing out DPS at all times, it wouldn't improve overall group DPS to the extent that it'd make DPS checks consistently a non-issue.

Your healers are garbage.

studyguy

Honestly above the fact that the way they tuned Savage at the moment to focus on DPS I just don't find it nearly as fun as coils. Even if they nerfed the fuck out of it, I still don't give a fuck about it or the story.

iammeiam

PS: My group really hasn't been having trouble with the little micro-DPS checks within the fight recently, but we're about 1.5-to-2% behind where I'd like to be for the enrage DPS check. Our biggest issues have been people tripping up on mechanics, and several members being burnt out. 3.1 seems to have helped on the later a bit, hopefully it'll last until the clear.

Well, right, that was the point of most of my post. Gear will help some very specific things in A3S (adds should get easier again, healers can be a little slower due to bonus VIT maybe, the P4 Gaols will go down faster), but what tends to be the biggest problem for people in 3 is the mechanics and those are pretty much the same. Groups can now survive a P4 damage down on a DPS, but multiple bad swaps, or a failed healer or tank debuff pickup, will still be alarm time.

It was mostly the hilarity of a warrior of all people going "I'm a tank, not DPS!" that got to me. I get that not every group pushes tank DPS to its limits, it was just funny.

WolvenOne

Well, right, that was the point of most of my post. Gear will help some very specific things in A3S (adds should get easier again, healers can be a little slower due to bonus VIT maybe, the P4 Gaols will go down faster), but what tends to be the biggest problem for people in 3 is the mechanics and those are pretty much the same. Groups can now survive a P4 damage down on a DPS, but multiple bad swaps, or a failed healer or tank debuff pickup, will still be alarm time.

It was mostly the hilarity of a warrior of all people going "I'm a tank, not DPS!" that got to me. I get that not every group pushes tank DPS to its limits, it was just funny.

Honestly, the people that complain about having to push their DPS as a tank is hilarious to me, especially the people in the off-tank position. I mean seriously, as off Tank there are huge swathes of these fights where you're in a position where the only thing you really CAN do is push DPS. What would they prefer to do instead, count bumps on the ceiling?

As MT that's somewhat more understandable, as Paladins at least have the same binary trade-off between survivability and DPS. Heck, I think the choice is even more binary for Paladins. Still, if you're doing progression in top tier content, you should be doing everything you can to help your group clear. That should include trying to push your DPS as much as you can manage.

Top Bottom