• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

studyguy

Meta next savage will be nothing but tankbuster after party wide tank buster-esque mechanics. A massive healer check where suddenly instead of stacking STR we're just stacking VIT hoping to survive. PLDs will have to use clemency, WARs will have to stay defensive and DRKs will cry as all the outgoing damage will act like Thordin.

While everything burns in Eorzea YoshiP will stand above the pyre wiping his ass.

Or you know more of the same.

scy

I can push over a thousand on a dummy, but content is different for a multitude of reasons.

Well ... not sure why over 1k on a dummy and not getting Esuna'd are a thing here. Unless you do a dummy parse with an Esuna available? I mean, I agree that not getting Esuna'd is depressing but weird to use it as a point for why content differs from a dummy.

Not to badmouth my healers, but Warriors have a binary decision set here. We cannot both play defensively to make life easier for healers, AND max out our DPS.

I don't really agree with this? I mean, if you assume there's only max DPS or mitigation than, sure, yes, I can see that. But I'll drop a Fell Cleave on a Slashing rotation to IB a tankbuster and Equilibrium it before going back. Sure, I lose a bunch of damage in the process but significantly less so than if I just sat in Defiance the entire time and I'll still have the same mitigation there when it matters. The entire tanking meta at this point is figuring out exactly how much mitigation is even needed to take a hit. Anything more than that is fluff.

If anything, Warrior is the least binary of the tanks since you can choose the 10s window to get your actual defensive stance mitigation out.

Honestly above the fact that the way they tuned Savage at the moment to focus on DPS ...

Let's be realistic here, with the way the game is designed, this is really the only direction they can take encounters beyond mechanical execution. I mean, they could do more Thordan-esque stuff where DPS takes a backseat but A3S with a bit more time in the fight (and/or less HP) would still be bricking most the groups stuck on it at this point it seems.

There's not a lot of room for complexity in terms of damage taken in this game.

Sorian

Banned
Me too. I upgraded my AF2 one because I had extra twine...
But that one sucks so...

I'm still salty, a pretty decent ilvl210 dropped from a bronze or silver chest so I wasn't expecting it. I rolled greed on everything just to start clearing some room before I noticed that it was there and the other BLM got it on their need roll.

My greed roll was a 99 :/

WolvenOne

Well ... not sure why over 1k on a dummy and not getting Esuna'd are a thing here. Unless you do a dummy parse with an Esuna available? I mean, I agree that not getting Esuna'd is depressing but weird to use it as a point for why content differs from a dummy.

The Pacification isn't what is preventing me from getting dummy like parses on A3S, though I might note that I do get parses like that in the first few phases.

The problem with A3S is that once I have to tank things I have to play a little more defensively to survive. I can get off my Fell Cleaves during the Hand of Pain DPS check, but even then I frequently see my health going down to a couple thousand, and I'm forced to go back into Defiance as soon as it's cleared.

Where pacification does hurt in non-dummy checks, is when you're forced to hold off on Berserk because you're going to need to pick something up roughly around the same time pacification hits. This isn't an A3S problem though, since there's actually few points in that fight where I need to pick things up. Still, I do find myself holding off Berserk in a lot of fights for this reason.

A2S is a good example of this actually. There are points where there are lots of adds up and I could be going Ham. Instead I have to lay off Berserk because if I hit it, I'm pacified when either a new enemy pops up or stun wears off and mob aggro resets, etc etc.

Ken

Besides Inner Beast, the Defiance bonuses, and Defiance Equilibrium, you still have access to all your other defensive options just sitting in Deliverance the entire time.

studyguy

Was gearing my MCH with Diadem stuff.
I got a retainer coatee looking mistbreak body with incredible stats that looks ugly as sin.

Looked like a butler with a gun, so I went ahead and glamored everything around it.
Diadem gear's not so bad if you don't mind looking goofy.

In Diadem though, muh Jurassic park is pretty boring.

WolvenOne

Besides Inner Beast, the Defiance bonuses, and Defiance Equilibrium, you still have access to all your other defensive options just sitting in Deliverance the entire time.

Hitting Vengeance when you're sitting at a few thousand HP doesn't help much in A3S. In Defiance I can hit Equilibrium and get a good chunk of health back immediately, and it also means my health shoots back up faster when the healers do decide to start healing me again.

Also, you're assuming I'm NOT hitting my cooldowns whenever I stance dance for extra damage. I am. Though I might note that during Hand of Pain, I have to hold off using my best offensive CD's, or I won't be able to survive the following tank tethers.

Yes inner beast works in a pinch for the add phase, but sometimes I have to dodge in a direction where there are no adds to use inner best on. Especially true since at least one DPS in my party immediately runs to the nearest add without checking to see where my position is. >_<;;

Admittedly DPSing during add phase is important, but still. >_<;;

Valor

The Pacification isn't what is preventing me from getting dummy like parses on A3S, though I might note that I do get parses like that in the first few phases.

The problem with A3S is that once I have to tank things I have to play a little more defensively to survive. I can get off my Fell Cleaves during the Hand of Pain DPS check, but even then I frequently see my health going down to a couple thousand, and I'm forced to go back into Defiance as soon as it's cleared.
You're not really forced to go into Defiance, since there's no real mitigation built into the stance. Not like DRK or PLD, anyway. You can also self heal and roll cooldowns to make it so you don't drop that low. It depends on how your healers are approaching the situation but if you ever feel in danger of dying I can guarantee one of two things happened/are happening:

1. Healers aren't being trusted
2. Cooldowns/Mitigation were not used properly.

Secondly it's important that your group works like a group and not like a gathering of individuals (protip: this is the main reason pug groups can suck outside of not knowing how to play their class to a minimum level). You need to know how your healers will heal you in what situations. You need to know when the Ninja is dropping Trick Attack, when the Bard is playing Foe Requiem, and when the tank will pop cooldowns and what the rotation will be. All of these things, and way more of the ilk, are what separates good groups from great groups, imo. Everyone needs to be on the same page and from your anecdotes my guess is that you guys aren't.

Berserk thing is silly too since you can click it off early if needed. A couple of seconds clicked off of Berserk >>>> holding it for a length of time.

Also no, DPS during add phase is one of the least important times to be DPSing in the entire fight.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I'm still salty, a pretty decent ilvl210 dropped from a bronze or silver chest so I wasn't expecting it. I rolled greed on everything just to start clearing some room before I noticed that it was there and the other BLM got it on their need roll.

My greed roll was a 99 :/

RIP
At least there really is no lockout to the thing.

scy

That wasn't my point ;_; Just find it weird that you go "I can do 1k on a dummy but content is different" and then list you don't get Esuna'd. It's harder on content because of #mechanics, the Esuna bit doesn't matter if the opening statement is about why it differs vs a dummy. Semantics here, I just found it a weird thing to say instead of just "MECHANICS" since that seems to be your actual point, not the Esuna.

Well, if it's Hand of Pain you should be doing Decimate anyway for the extra ~66 potency for your stacks if you're trying to milk damage. As for the HP ... I mean, that's how it works. The two hands alternate beating on the tanks. One dips, gets healed, other tank dips, gets healed, first tank dips, etc. The damage goes back and forth in a predictable manner, you're only at risk every like 7.5s. You have three cooldowns to pair up (four to remove the cheeky RNG crit) here since add phase has zero use for Raw Intuition, Convalescence, and Foresight and you can use Thrill/Vengeance if you plan to IB a tether.

WolvenOne

Berserk thing is silly too since you can click it off early if needed. A couple of seconds clicked off of Berserk >>>> holding it for a length of time.

Playing on a controller means, putting down the controller, getting the mouse, clicking it off, then picking back up the controller. That's a lot of flipping downtime.

That wasn't my point ;_; Just find it weird that you go "I can do 1k on a dummy but content is different" and then list you don't get Esuna'd. It's harder on content because of #mechanics, the Esuna bit doesn't matter if the opening statement is about why it differs vs a dummy. Semantics here, I just found it a weird thing to say instead of just "MECHANICS" since that seems to be your actual point, not the Esuna.

The Esuna is why I don't DPS as much on some content as other Warriors, mechanics and being forced to play defensively are why my DPS isn't as good as it is on a dummy.

Well, if it's Hand of Pain you should be doing Decimate anyway for the extra ~66 potency for your stacks if you're trying to milk damage. As for the HP ... I mean, that's how it works. The two hands alternate beating on the tanks. One dips, gets healed, other tank dips, gets healed, first tank dips, etc. The damage goes back and forth in a predictable manner, you're only at risk every like 7.5s. You have three cooldowns to pair up (four to remove the cheeky RNG crit) here since add phase has zero use for Raw Intuition, Convalescence, and Foresight and you can use Thrill/Vengeance if you plan to IB a tether.

This is exactly what I do for hand of pain. Except that I'm using Fell Cleaves, mostly out of habit.

studyguy

Haven't gone into Dia without a full FC party before. I'd imagine it's much more of a headache then when you can't agree to share.

iammeiam

I checked once. I leave adds phase 400 DPS below where I entered it, and spend P4 basically making half of that up. Adds phase is DPS murder.

Playing on a controller means, putting down the controller, getting the mouse, clicking it off, then picking back up the controller. That's a lot of flipping downtime.

3.1 added /statusoff. Time to make a macro!

(Pre 3.1 you could cycle to buff bar by clicking the touchpad/select/whatever, and clicking off from there. Had to do it in T13 for B4B)

xxczx

Pressing the touch pad left twice (assuming you haven't turned off this option) brings the cursor to the status effects, which gives you plenty of time to get ready for when you need to click it off.

This is what I do in a3s, making sure I'm ready in time to Storm's Path after adds.

WolvenOne

I checked once. I leave adds phase 400 DPS below where I entered it, and spend P4 basically making half of that up. Adds phase is DPS murder.

3.1 added /statusoff. Time to make a macro!

(Pre 3.1 you could cycle to buff bar by clicking the touchpad/select/whatever, and clicking off from there. Had to do it in T13 for B4B)

I was not aware of any of this.

PS: I use an XBone controller, so I have no touchpad.

studyguy

I need to get a PS4 controller soon, I finally dropped my PS3 controller enough times to break the edge of it. Now when I press R3, it sometimes when I press R1, it sometimes scrolls targets with the Dpad or when I push R3 it does the same.

RIP dualshock 3, you served me well.

Isaccard

They seem pretty big on talking about ass wiping and poop according to Reddit.

Joking aside, it kinda resonated with me for some reason. Maybe I just like they way they articulated the issue, but they probably could have picked a better metaphor.

I wonder how much Feedback Yoshida, etc. actually take from the OF.

studyguy

I wonder how much Feedback Yoshida, etc. actually take from the OF.

None, working as intended.
DxHKHUp.png

IvorB

I don't have diadem pants :/

I want a diadem hat tho

I have Diadem pants and I like them but today there was BLM accessory that came up with, like, five different stats on it and of course I lost the roll. Feels bad.

Speaking of Diadem: I feel like something really needs to be done about the gatherers. Now in the beginning I was pretty laid back about it. If someone wanted to fish or mine then whatever. But the way it is now and we're a man or more down busting our a*ses to make sure we get credit on the stars while some guy is gathering stuff he's probably gonna sell later and yet still rolling on all our hard earned loot, that's when I start to get a bit salty.

Chille

Sorry for posting a youtube video to my own channel, but lol this is how you do a Diadem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rApX7383Hg

Not a single person in the entire zone expect my party, we even shouted several times to check, took 35 minutes before anyone else entered the instance, we lost a healer because he rage quit right at the start.

Spoiler warning I am shit Monk

Sifl

Every time I do Diadem I fear for my ps4. My fc mate was on PS3 doing it earlier and was complaining he couldn't see some of the monsters.

WAR is the only tank with stance switching off the GCD as well, so you never have to interrupt what you're doing to switch your stance.

Losing Inner Beast is a pretty big thing though, since most of the time you stack IB + a CD to mitigate a tankbuster. But you can just switch to Defiance before you know the tankbuster is coming, play it safe and switch up 10-15 seconds before it arrives to be sure, pop an IB + CD, eat your tankbuster, and switch back to Deliverance right after the healers have topped you off.

Showing your dominance over dinos is every gamer's dream.

You ever played Turok?

Omni

What's your FC?
Technically not in one right now. Character's name is Keira Welch though.

Have been banging my head against the wall with Ravana in the duty finder this evening. Hoping to get the Dark Knight weapon so I have something decent when I get that to level 60. Easier said than done however

Top Bottom