• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Valor

Level BLM. Its virtually the same thing only you'll feel like your....ya know.....doing damage.

Come at me brd/mchGAF.

Except you're trading style/look/shorter cast times for a feast/famine class that has predominantly garbage glamour gear and no one will want you because they'll want Summoners instead. Then if you're a Summoner they'll want a BLM instead. You can't win.

Also enjoy the movement heavy fights where your dps falls off. I guess the couple of fire IV big numbers will be fun to look at, since you bring literally nothing else to the table.

jk i love you caster bros

Sorian

Banned
Except you're trading style/look/shorter cast times for a feast/famine class that has predominantly garbage glamour gear and no one will want you because they'll want Summoners instead. Then if you're a Summoner they'll want a BLM instead. You can't win.

Also enjoy the movement heavy fights where your dps falls off. I guess the couple of fire IV big numbers will be fun to look at, since you bring literally nothing else to the table.

> 10k fire IV crits will never get old.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

This post makes you sound super jelly.

Demoskinos

As someone who just recently abandoned BLM for DRG the concept of being able to attack and move fucking blew my goddamn mind.

Going to go back to leveling my MCH and PLD. I will finish this struggle!

I've grown to hate myself for leveling PLD because WAR seems so much more fun even if PLD is more forgiving and consistent.

studyguy

You guys can always join me leveling and gearing less than ideal jobs.
We're all welcome on...

thebench.jpg

Cmagus

As someone who just recently abandoned BLM for DRG the concept of being able to attack and move fucking blew my goddamn mind.

I know right, I ditched black mage and went ninja and the game has been so much more fun. I like black mage but the new changes to the class are just so boring and too much is left to luck. I found I spent more time looking at my timers then playing the game which wasn't much fun.

iammeiam

Unless you're gunning for world first group comp doesn't matter. Especially if they follow through on rumblings of defanging the next raid tier. Play what you want/aren't bad at.

You guys can always join me leveling and gearing less than ideal jobs.
We're all welcome on...

thebench.jpg

I prefer to pick unpopular but functional jobs. Something something hipster glasses.

Tabris

Unless you're gunning for world first group comp doesn't matter. Especially if they follow through on rumblings of defanging the next raid tier. Play what you want/aren't bad at.

Find me an A4S group that has cleared double caster pre-weapons. You guys switched, didn't you?

But yeah, if they defang raid, then it's not an issue. Just makes everything harder though.

I doubt we'll change, but if I was to recommend to anyone who's picking what job to level or gear up, it's going to be avoid caster or Paladin until they are changed / buffed, and based on SE's actions in 3.1 (limit break change and DPS comment re: PLD), they won't be changed any time soon, if ever.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Find me an A4S group that has cleared double caster pre-weapons. You guys switched, didn't you?

But yeah, if they defang raid, then it's not an issue. Just makes everything harder though.

I doubt we'll change, but if I was to recommend to anyone who's picking what job to level or gear up, it's going to be avoid caster or Paladin until they are changed / buffed, and based on SE's actions in 3.1 (limit break change and DPS comment re: PLD), they won't be changed any time soon.

Not having a DRG in A4S was pretty rough. We've since changed and the difference is definitely quite large.

DRG + NIN = the dream.

iammeiam

I stopped paying attention after like the second A4S clear so I don't have a concrete example, but a few seconds poking through casters on FFLogs shows this clear from October with BLM/SMN. I can't really verify their gear at the time, so who knows, but from the logs I checked I think this is their normal comp, and yes they had an AST and a Bard but... Double caster isn't a death sentence.

We planned the switch before setting foot in A4S for a few reasons that had basically nothing to do with thinking double caster wasn't viable. Certain group comps make things easier or harder (double caster makes A3S adds significantly easier and is pretty OP in A2S), but I don't think we'be ever had a situation where it was this comp can't work. I had minor worry over losing Disembowel last week, but based on what we saw in actual content I'm pretty sure we could handle that too if that's how it plays out. Group DPS would go down a little, but not non-viable amounts.

studyguy

I don't know, running PLD/DRK because no one wants to run WAR feels like we leave a lot on the table. I don't necessarily agree that party comp doesn't matter, you can very much fuck up party comp even if you're not going world first. Saying it doesn't matter doesn't mean certain compositions aren't objectively better than others.

Demoskinos

I know right, I ditched black mage and went ninja and the game has been so much more fun. I like black mage but the new changes to the class are just so boring and too much is left to luck. I found I spent more time looking at my timers then playing the game which wasn't much fun.

Yeah, don't regret my time with it but I wasn't having as much fun as I used to with it. Its also really hard to be at optimal efficiency with BLM if you don't already know a fight. That being said seeing Fire IV's proc for nearly 10,000 sometimes can make you all tingly in the crotch region.

Tabris

I don't know, running PLD/DRK because no one wants to run WAR feels like we leave a lot on the table. I don't necessarily agree that party comp doesn't matter, you can very much fuck up party comp even if you're not going world first.

Yup, party composition makes things harder while before it was a bit more balanced. Essentially SE has done a poor job balancing this expansion and based on 3.1, has shown little interest in re-balancing as either they don't understand the imbalance (esp with the PLD comment) or are saying that you should go double melee (maybe they are looking at statistics like the amount of players who have levelled melee vs caster).

So my point still stands - don't level or gear up caster or Paladin right now.

I am thinking of making the switch to Dark Knight.

iammeiam

I don't know, running PLD/DRK because no one wants to run WAR feels like we leave a lot on the table. I don't necessarily agree that party comp doesn't matter, you can very much fuck up party comp even if you're not going world first.

Not that it has no impact, but that you shouldn't be picking what you play based on a meta that is most important in early push scenarios. PLD/DRK will cost you, but it's not non-viable. It's not "Somebody has to WAR, you have to have a WAR!", just WAR is OP as hell right now.

I just default to groups generally being stronger if people are doing things they're good at/comfortable with, and not forcing/heavily encouraging into FotM roles to push a meta most groups aren't actually going to fully capitalize on anyway.

studyguy

I would say someone has to be WAR right now for Savage.
This is coming from my own group trying to make headway without one.

I'm sure it's viable without one, but the headache is tremendous and the game is not accommodating.

Tabris

Just because it can be done (by 1 group who still has a DRG, try a MNK only as melee), doesn't invalidate the point though. Party composition matters and the difference is significant in everything you do. And ignoring just the lower output in damage, it makes a lot of small things harder.

Say for example, add phase in A3S. When you have 3 ranged DPS, it's harder to tell who's on what mob by visual so when you are a DPS and determining which mob to land that barrage or Fire IV or whatever on, you don't know if someone is about to finish off the mob you're using the action on or not which leads to a lot of overkilling / wasted DPS.

Now we'll personally probably not change and just ride it out until the next patch when raid becomes de-fanged, but it does make everything harder for us. So when someone asks what they should do, of course I would tell them not to level those jobs.

scy

Find me an A4S group that has cleared double caster pre-weapons.

Okay.

Yes, party comp can lose out on a lot but like ... unless we're really optimizing, the biggest loss will be from people just making mistakes. Having a Warrior means nothing if they're pushing 600-ish DPS and don't actually use their kit properly. DRG is great to have since Disembowel is huge but if your ranged is garbage, you'd probably be better off with a Monk (or Ninja if there isn't one already). Evaluating jobs as a "NEED" works in a vacuum but execution is highly relevant.

Honestly, party comp outright failing a clear just isn't really an excuse at this point of the patch cycle. If you're failing, it's because people aren't doing well.

Say for example, add phase in A3S. When you have 3 ranged DPS, it's harder to tell who's on what mob by visual so when you are a DPS and determining which mob to land that barrage or Fire IV or whatever on, you don't know if someone is about to finish off the mob you're using the action on or not which leads to a lot of overkilling / wasted DPS.

Sounds more like people are blind to be honest. More ranged makes it a lot easier to track things unless you ignore the targeting arrows. And general bad target priority.

I think one of the comments in the JP OF topic about tanks mentioned something about how most of the abilities that reduce damage are physical based where as there are very few that reduce magical so making content that focuses on magical damage maybe isn't the best idea.

Here's the quote.

"There are 13 physical only things that involve tanks: Foresight, Bulwark, Eye for an Eye, White Mage Virus, Sheltron, Raw Intuition, Wrath, Dark Dance, Halone, Shield Swipe, Reprisal, the Shield itself, and the parry stat itself. There are 4 that are magic only: Dragon Kick, Apocatastasis, Dark Mind, and Fey Covenant. Of these, two are designed for party-wide damage. Content that is designed to allow a Dark Knight to be most effective and interesting to play has bad compatibility with the bulk of existing skills on multiple jobs."

"It would be true that if you normalized abilities between Paladin and Dark, they would be very similar, but that is because Dark is essentially a Paladin with new animations and more buttons. This is by no means any excuse for failing to balance the jobs. It should have been obvious to the developers that if you just reuse a job without any work you'll get the same thing in the end."

What does everyone think about these quotes?

Tabris

What's the consensus on the new airship voyage thingy or whatever. Fun or no?

Fun, no. Mindless, yes. Beneficial, yes.

Well it's not fun by virtue of the content, but it's an excuse to do things with FC mates or people you know, so it's enjoyable that way. But if you want to do it via Ishgard with strangers, then it's extremely boring.

Tabris

Okay.

Honestly, party comp outright failing a clear just isn't really an excuse at this point of the patch cycle. If you're failing, it's because people aren't doing well.

First, okay, you found a clear for me with MNK too.

But my point still stands. And it is a valid reason. Take the average raid player - when they have the handicap of party composition that goes along with their average mistakes, it makes the task incredibly harder.

scy

Having more Physical ones won't matter though and kind of misses the mark on what's really going on between tanks and the content this tier.

First, okay, you found a clear for me with MNK too.

But my point still stands. And it is a valid reason. Take off your elitist hat and take the average raid player - when they have the handicap of party composition that goes along with their average mistakes, it makes the task incredibly harder.

Meh, really?

Anyway, non-optimal parties will be harder. That's sort of implied when you have an optimal setup. The issue I'm taking here is when people go towards "If we fix our party, everything will work!" instead of "What are we doing wrong as players." There is nothing you need to be optimized for at this point in the patch and bandaid fixes like swapping to the flavor of the month is just coasting at the same level of play instead of trying to improve instead. There's a reason why A3S is brickwalling people and it's not party compositions.

I guess it's a "tl;dr: git gud" but I'm just more a fan of figuring out how to play better rather than fixing everything around myself.

iammeiam

I've done progression A3S in double melee and double caster comps--this isn't me making things up, this is me going in with double caster the first time and being shocked at how much better it worked. Triple ranged is significantly easier. SMN slowing everything makes kill times ridiculously lenient, the ranged aspect makes drainage positioning significantly easier since there's only one melee to dodge, and actual kill management is something groups evolve over time. BLM should be focusing on fresh spawns not near anyone, SMN should be dotting and slowing and occasionally nuking as trance allows, Bard/MCH finishes off things that are low. You have no real downtime due to people needing to get to mobs, and there's no real contention over close spawns. Ferrofluid is less annoying.

XenoRaven

What is your opinion on the Jurassic Park series?
Something I have fond memories of that I have no intention of ever revisiting.
Fun, no. Mindless, yes. Beneficial, yes.

Well it's not fun by virtue of the content, but it's an excuse to do things with FC mates or people you know, so it's enjoyable that way. But if you want to do it via Ishgard with strangers, then it's extremely boring.
That's a shame. Pretty sure I'm done raiding in this game so I was hoping this would be a good alternative for me.

Tabris

Has nothing to do with physical or magical damage mitigation. That's not why people are changing from PLD to WAR or DRK, and why you need a WAR.

It's all about DPS. You just output less. I am ranked 6th on our server on A1S clear at 630 DPS, the 6th on our server for DRK on A1S clear is at 879 DPS.

That's a significant difference. And no matter how much you mitigate unless it's enough to allow the WHM to DPS 250 more DPS, then it's not going to make the difference.

Having more Physical ones won't matter though and kind of misses the mark on what's really going on between tanks and the content this tier.

Has nothing to do with physical or magical damage mitigation. That's not why people are changing from PLD to WAR or DRK, and why you need a WAR.

It's all about DPS. You just output less. I am ranked 6th on our server on A1S clear at 630 DPS, the 6th on our server for DRK on A1S clear is at 879 DPS.

That's a significant difference. And no matter how much you mitigate unless it's enough to allow the WHM to DPS 250 more DPS, then it's not going to make the difference.

I guess it's just the way the game is designed currently then where the utility that each tank has doesn't really matter beyond keeping you alive while the rest is spent into getting as much DPS as possible.

Is that really an issue with the design though? I feel like that's the optimal way to go about anything, doing only what is needed to survive then the rest into downing the boss as fast as possible. I'm sure there are MMOs or other games where that isn't the case and there are other things to consider but I can't think of any at the moment.

iammeiam

There's a reason why A3S is brickwalling people and it's not party compositions.

It's because everyone does P4 digi wrong. If I hadn't looked at that one MSPaint drawing and told you to stop being stupid, we'd probably still be there too.

scy

It's because everyone does P4 digi wrong. If I hadn't looked at that one MSPaint drawing and told you to stop being stupid, we'd probably still be there too.

Ah yes, the good times of "hey, we should probably have this spot for the debuff pass?" instead of ... I dunno, something logical.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Technically not in one right now. Character's name is Keira Welch though.

Have been banging my head against the wall with Ravana in the duty finder this evening. Hoping to get the Dark Knight weapon so I have something decent when I get that to level 60. Easier said than done however
I'll add you later today, maybe we can get some stuff done.

Sifl

Anyone have had crashing problems on PS4 since update? When it crashes it's always on the loading screen after a teleport, and occasionally when I check someone's retainers on their property it crashes for some reason.

Squishy3

Anyone have had crashing problems on PS4 since update? When it crashes it's always on the loading screen after a teleport, and occasionally when I check someone's retainers on their property it crashes for some reason.
Someone else in here had the same problem.

I had the same problem when I was using the DX11 client on PC. (It wouldn't crash after a teleport, but it would hang on the loading screen)

Sifl

Someone else in here had the same problem.

I had the same problem when I was using the DX11 client on PC. (It wouldn't crash after a teleport, but it would hang on the loading screen)
Thanks for info, glad to know its not just me. Hope they fix it soon.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Created my character. And I believe I'm on the Ultros server. Not definitely sure though. I picked Primal and it had Ultros listed as one of the servers. I'm trying to get the basics down. Like navigating through the menus. I'm doing some lvl 1 & 2 side quests as well. Just taking it easy so I don't get overwhelmed.

Yes, I experienced one today. Thought it might be my connection to the server.

Top Bottom