• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Omni

I think I'm enjoying tanking a little more now that I'm somewhat decently geared. But man, Rambo DPS who pull additional mobs purposely are the worst. I take what I know I can handle and what I feel our party can burn down quickly. Sometimes it's large groups, other times... not so much. I don't even bother trying to provoke enemies if I see someone do it on purpose unless agro shifts to the other members of the party. Maybe that makes me a bad tank but it annoys me. Everyone is in such a rush to complete things. It's not enjoyable. At the very least they could ask for bigger pulls if they really think it's needed

Ugh whatever, I like healing far more anyway.
//ramble ramble ramble

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
One thing I hope they change for A4S is the goddamn dolls. Specifically if you accidently kill one it stays dead because bringing that shit into the last phase is dumb and you can't get rid of it for a while after it starts.

xxczx

Healing in pvp is pretty annoying anyways, can't be bothered to do it anymore.
It's actually really fun! The feeling you get when DPS just give up trying to kill you is pretty good. I once got chased for 3-4min as WHM before I got back to my team lol. Thankfully the other healer was pro so nobody died.

Ken

Can't find in what world you guys where in EU Data Center.
I'm WAR trying to get to heavensward content but kind of getting boring the process and really thinking about trying another class. I have the main in Moogle.

I think we only have a handful of GAF on the EU data centers, so I don't think you'll be able to find a EU GAF FC.

DRK is kind of a fun tank if you want to change classes but stay in the same role.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Pvp is physically painful to play as melee sometimes. It's like a full circle of people complaining our melee teammates aren't being "aggressive enough". Then us getting slaughtered because our heals are shit as the same shit healers keep asking "y are you dying?" I'm dying cause ur only healing 50k hp the whole match, which means you're basically doing nothing.
I typically get 480k to 800k easy whenever I play, I mean it also depends on how close my Alliance and my GC as a whole sticks together. If I'm ever below that it's typically because DPS get tunnel vision and players scatter.

Ken

So doing some Diadem HM yesterday, it feels like they're trying to make it an open-world hunts thing again but without the loading screens. Have multiple alliance-sized groups spread out across the zone popping individual Stars, and then shouting to the zone to get people to come kill it seems like their ideal Diadem.

In reality, people have already started switching to range-limited yell chat for Fresh Tracks announcements, and aside from maybe Brachydios most other Stars don't necessitate more than 2-3 parties. And then there's the flight time and anticipation that the next few at your current spot will have tracks.

Also seems like just zerging anyways to overcome the diminishing returns for having a zerg with pure numbers seems as good if not better than trying to stave off DR with a small group.

So doing some Diadem HM yesterday, it feels like they're trying to make it an open-world hunts thing again but without the loading screens. Have multiple alliance-sized groups spread out across the zone popping individual Stars, and then shouting to the zone to get people to come kill it seems like their ideal Diadem.

In reality, people have already started switching to range-limited yell chat for Fresh Tracks announcements, and aside from maybe Brachydios most other Stars don't necessitate more than 2-3 parties. And then there's the flight time and anticipation that the next few at your current spot will have tracks.

Also seems like just zerging anyways to overcome the diminishing returns for having a zerg with pure numbers seems as good if not better than trying to stave off DR with a small group.

In general they probably should've just gone full Abyssea with it instead of just halfway.

Let people farm pop items that drop from specific mobs on specific islands encouraging people to move around. Let NMs be popped on specific islands. This encourages people to move around even more. Specific NMs drop specific pieces of equipment ie this NM over here drops hand armor for all jobs, this NM drops feet armor for all jobs etc. Add a system to continuously extend your time etc. Make better use of the caves. Hell make the mobs more difficult to fight in general-starred mobs take a zone wide effort. Get the gatherers in on it also. Have pop items that are obtained specifically by gatherers. It would make them actually useful rather than ruining runs by running in the DF by running off to gather. This more often than not is a drain on resources leaving the group without enough DPS to get credit.

There's little things that they could be doing to make the experience so much better. In its current incarnation its probably one of the worst Diablo III-esque grinding experiences I've ever done.

Demoskinos

Leves don't replenish fast enough. :(

I wanna get my Miner to 60 but now I'm just stuck grinding since I used all my leves to get my BSM to 50.

DAMN, gamestop has this plus reborn for $20. Gotta pick this up before sale ends and play at least a couple months of it. How's the game guys. I was a HEAVY HEAVY FFXI player back the days, but with life and responsibilities I've held off on this one

Ken

DAMN, gamestop has this plus reborn for $20. Gotta pick this up before sale ends and play at least a couple months of it. How's the game guys. I was a HEAVY HEAVY FFXI player back the days, but with life and responsibilities I've held off on this one

Modern theme park MMO in FF skin but good in most areas. Probably won't spawn crazy stories about crabs and whatnot as XI did but it's a strong game on its own.

Definitely recommend it though if you want to scratch the MMO itch.

Demoskinos

Its a good game but don't compare it to XI at all its much more modern in its approaches to a lot of things so if modern MMO design bothers you you might wanna steer clear. That being said the main story is really good and if you are a final fantasy fan you'll just constantly be assaulted by cameos and references to things. They know their audience.

Thanks for the responses. I decided not to get it after all :(. I work 10 hour days(11 hour days now with holidays), 5 days a week. With Xenoblade next week, I'll just hold off :/. Doesn't help that I learned there's no free month in heavens word lol smh

Ken

Thanks for the responses. I decided not to get it after all :(. I work 10 hour days(11 hour days now with holidays), 5 days a week. With Xenoblade next week, I'll just hold off :/. Doesn't help that I learned there's no free month in heavens word lol smh

You get one free month with the base game.

Squishy3

You get one free month with the base game.
It's just that if he isn't devoting a significant amount of time to it during the month that he picks it up, he probably wouldn't reach Heavensward in time before his month is almost up, even with the lessened amount of time it takes to get there.

I'm actually kind of surprised even Heavensward went on sale this quickly. (Although I guess it's not by Square themselves, so) I guess this is also how they get those high account numbers and probably ends up providing a greater short-term benefit, though. Since they get all the impulse buys (and the double/triple-buys from people looking to add a cheaper sub month to their accounts) and then if there's a huge influx of users a sizeable chunk will probably sub for another month or two to experience the content before quitting.

Loona

Welp, I'm resubbing hoping to do the current XI event while it lasts, and hopefully catch up on the main story. I'm not even fully done with XI yet... thank heavens for Legacy accounts, those are supposed to have a cheaper sub fee, at least...

Ken

It's just that if he isn't devoting a significant amount of time to it during the month that he picks it up, he probably wouldn't reach Heavensward in time before his month is almost up, even with the lessened amount of time it takes to get there.

I'm actually kind of surprised even Heavensward went on sale this quickly. (Although I guess it's not by Square themselves, so) I guess this is also how they get those high account numbers and probably ends up providing a greater short-term benefit, though. Since they get all the impulse buys (and the double/triple-buys from people looking to add a cheaper sub month to their accounts) and then if there's a huge influx of users a sizeable chunk will probably sub for another month or two to experience the content before quitting.

Yeah, true, but if he hasn't played the bass game then that's all new content to him anyways.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'm enjoying tanking a little more now that I'm somewhat decently geared. But man, Rambo DPS who pull additional mobs purposely are the worst. I take what I know I can handle and what I feel our party can burn down quickly. Sometimes it's large groups, other times... not so much. I don't even bother trying to provoke enemies if I see someone do it on purpose unless agro shifts to the other members of the party. Maybe that makes me a bad tank but it annoys me. Everyone is in such a rush to complete things. It's not enjoyable. At the very least they could ask for bigger pulls if they really think it's needed

Ugh whatever, I like healing far more anyway.
//ramble ramble ramble

What I've been running into are tanks that don't lead. Twice I've been in two parties where the tanks stayed back. I would think that people who join a lvl 30 quest should know their respective roles. My only real gripe about this game is the UI to communicate with party members lacks a lot to be desired.

Ayumi

Current level: 37
Next main quest requirement: 38

Should I just stick with roulette, FATEs and my hunting log until 38?
Really dislike side quests since they give so little XP.

(I also always eat the +3% XP/30min food.)

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

well that's what I would do.

Ken

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3evabr/guide_to_leveling

For leveling, you always want to be doing something that gets you XP while queued for a dungeon. Abuse the leves that let you complete by picking up stuff (Adamantoise Tears, Soil Leve in Coerthas). Since you're running from all the fighting you can set it to max level for the highest XP. If you've run out of leves or hit a patch without a good leve to farm, try doing FATEs on your own; it shouldn't be too hard these days with fewer people doing FATEs and they also got a very nice XP boost across the board, I believe.

Remember that there's a chain bonus for doing dungeons on the level you unlock, and that Roulette bonus XP scales to your level. I usually like to hold off my leveling roulette until after I get out of the chain bonus level, but if you have limited time to play that's not always possible.

And yeah, I don't really ever bother with side quests either.

Ayumi

Just what I needed, thanks!

For leveling, you always want to be doing something that gets you XP while queued for a dungeon.
Fortunately, the queues for tanks on my server are super short. Usually within a minute, actually. At least then I can be ready to go once I click Join.
Abuse the leves that let you complete by picking up stuff (Adamantoise Tears, Soil Leve in Coerthas). Since you're running from all the fighting you can set it to max level for the highest XP.
Awesome, thanks for the details!

After a few days of messing around with Enochian I'm willing to come to the dark side and admit I prefer MCH to BLM. I hate Enochian even more than I hate Gauss Barrel.

Demoskinos

I should really quit buying other games period. Just bought a bunch of stuff on the PSN sale and over here playing XIV instead. >.>

Jayhawk

Drama lost the race to world first:

https://twitter.com/ff14_sokuhou/status/670862429455187968

ad9ecfea-s.png

①②③
⑧★④
⑦⑥⑤

1. Chives Seeds
2. Glazenut Seeds
3. Chives Seeds
4. Glazenut Seeds
5. Chives Seeds
6. Glazenut Seeds
7. Chives Seeds
8. Glazenut Seeds

...look at the market board history for those chives seeds and glazenut seeds

Jeels

How long does it take Newegg to ship codes? ;_; I need the PC version for when I travel. PSVita/Mobile remote play doesn't cut it for a game like XIV.

Onyar

I think we only have a handful of GAF on the EU data centers, so I don't think you'll be able to find a EU GAF FC.

DRK is kind of a fun tank if you want to change classes but stay in the same role.

Thanks.
I'm thinking into change the role, I noticed that I just only tanked in this game, I may try to dps some time with dragoon to see if I enjoy it more.

Ken

but what are the end game options?

At 60 there's:

8-man raids
24-man casual raids
8-man trials/Extreme fights
Tomestone currency grinding via level 60 dungeons
Diadem, the saddest Diablo 3 clone
New beast tribe dailies (gross)

Largely the same as what players did at 50 for 2 years. Now everyone has moved to 60 so it's a tad more difficult to get people to do the 50 stuff.

suzu

The vanu vanu dailies are actually all right. They take less time to do than the other beastmen quests. Also... sundrop dance! The male version of the dance is better though.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The vanu vanu dailies are actually all right. They take less time to do than the other beastmen quests. Also... sundrop dance! The male version of the dance is better though.

You also gain points super fast, which is nice.

Top Bottom