• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I'm on Comcast and was rubber banding in dungeons so I logged off. My internet was also down for a bit completely earlier.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I've been doing the progression list from the first page. What a great resource. My archer is at 32 and I missed a lot of stuff. One of the big things was filling the open slots of my armor and weapons. My carpenter's at 20. So I've been leveling that discipline up so I can attach materia to my level 30 bow.

Question: do any of you play multiple disciplines to craft you're own stuff?

Edit: On another note I've been disconnected every 3 minutes it seems. I have no doubt a lot of it is on my side. But, I hope with the holiday over with I'll stay on for more than five minutes. :/

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
By the by, I was watching a live stream of a ffxiv battle on twitch. The music playing was of the trance/club genre. I couldn't get the lyrics. But the chorus was singing "it's magic". I'm curious if that's part of the FFXIV OST?

Squishy3

By the by, I was watching a live stream of a ffxiv battle on twitch. The music playing was of the trance/club genre. I couldn't get the lyrics. But the chorus was singing "it's magic". I'm curious if that's part of the FFXIV OST?
I'm not an expert on what constitutes trance music, so I don't know if I'd be able to identify it by that description alone. If you can link to the VOD if there is one that'd help. If it was what looked like a boss battle, telling me what type of boss it was would help too, because all the bosses have unique themes or I'd be able to narrow it down to what area it was in.

Jayhawk

ACT crashing occassionally for me since the hotfix. It didn't save my best run in terms of personal DPS from tonight's Thordan runs. RIP. All about that RNG though with some of the mechanics.

FF logs for top rankings for Thordan Ex still a bit weird. 2nd best MNK across the world only had 7 people do DPS in their run. Best MNK had a Dragon Kick bitch and two Machinists! Not enough Ultros representation on FF logs. Dead server.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
ACT crashing occassionally for me since the hotfix. It didn't save my best run in terms of personal DPS from tonight's Thordan runs. RIP. All about that RNG though with some of the mechanics.

FF logs for top rankings for Thordan Ex still a bit weird. 2nd best MNK across the world only had 7 people do DPS in their run. Best MNK had a Dragon Kick bitch and two Machinists! Not enough Ultros representation on FF logs. Dead server.

FFlogs is all about that padding life

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Probably the track that plays during Alexander 1-3.

Thank you. It's the Alexander Boss Theme.

Seeking a piece of reason,

Shaping a peaceless season,

Reason to keep believing,

Waking the beast who's sleeping ...

I call this destiny (you're caught in a trance)

Ever march inside, there's got to be no sign of advance (you see?)

This mortal coil we serve is taut like a spring; step back,

Two-step, two-step, two-step-one-two-back!

The world's a fantasy (no more than a test)

Ever feeding off the imbalance, creating this mess (deep down)

Inside this bleak machine with all of the rest, Break free! To praise, to praise electricity!

Time turning up the volume,

Time turning on as always.

No time enough to wallow.

For turning back to where we began!

Trying to set those twisted fragments in one direction

Celestial noise detected, but maybe I'm unsuspected

Tryng to give to reason, turning to me for defense ...

Transmissions begun >COMPLETED

setup to >BREACH and >RESET.

It was the destiny alone in a trance,

No escaping from this waking dream,

No hope for the best, you see?

The mortal coil we serve is naught but a spring.

Unwind, too slow, too quick, too much to believe!

Your world's a fantasy, you failed the test.

Ever forging all-new fallacies, creating a mess (direct)

Into this bleak machine with all of the rest-

D/C! Dying, dying! Electricity-

(Falling back right into the system, falling back on all empty bliss)

(When falling back right out of the system means falling back right into disgrace)

(Yes falling back right in with the system, while slipping, falling back to the end.)

(When falling back is better and simple, we're falling back into pieces again!)

Sounds to be in rhythm

Memory wipe > COMPLETED

Narrowly beat > DELETED

Radicals flowing freer

Energy store > RECIEVED

Suspending all disbelief in

Synergy with our being,

Synapses FIRE and breathin'.

Seeking a piece of reason,

Shaping a peaceless season,

Reason to keep believing,

Waking the beast who's sleeping ...

Where the hell I got "It's magic" from I have no clue. Lol!

Omni

I unlocked Scholar tonight...

HMM. I'm not sure what to think. You really don't need to do a damn thing in those earlier dungeons, do you? Fairy does sooo much. Maybe it gets better as you get higher levelled but I feel like I'm just a dps right now //shrug. Few things I'll have to look up later in regards to abilities but right now... eh. AST and WHM seem much more fun

Here is a question though. I'm using cleric stance which I assume is a good thing, but does that also affect my fairy? (I suppose it doesn't really matter either way?)

Kenai

I unlocked Scholar tonight...

HMM. I'm not sure what to think. You really don't need to do a damn thing in those earlier dungeons, do you? Fairy does sooo much. Maybe it gets better as you get higher levelled but I feel like I'm just a dps right now //shrug. Few things I'll have to look up later in regards to abilities but right now... eh. AST and WHM seem much more fun

Here is a question though. I'm using cleric stance which I assume is a good thing, but does that also affect my fairy? (I suppose it doesn't really matter either way?)

Nah it doesn't. Go to town in Cleric Stance without worry.

And yes it does get more complicated later. It's not rocket science but you will have to take your fairy off sic for their CDs (or Eos at least) and position her properly for max benefit. In addition to cleave type stuff from mobs (which is a big factor later), your fairy prioritizes people that are closer to her, so you wanna try to max sure she is closer to the tank(s) while still in range of as many people as possible (plus stuff like Whispering Dawn does have a range).

Honestly I think the hardest thing about playing SCH in a raiding environment is properly maximizing your DPS, cause you have to judge how much time you can cast offensive spells without wiping the raid. Since SCH has the highest personal single target dps of the healers they are usually one of the defacto places for squeezing out extra dps to clear the encounter.

Demoskinos

Was that lag just a Comcast thing? I also had lag but figured it was the server. Was farming ponies in Titan Extreme. Lol dodging all the AoEs in that fight with lag was something else.

xxczx

Managed to get our server in top world rankings. #maelstronk

66bab1738dc6fb385272aed97ba13bae.png

Sandfox

I'm curious to see what SE does to fix all the current raiding issues, but at this point it feels like they might've waiting too long.

Sifl

Didn't even know there were Frontline rankings. Not to my surprise, all of the top Flame players on Aether have a 50+% win rate. While all of the top FailStronk players have a 20%-30% win rate.
Edit: I'm in the Top 10 Aether maelstrom players, that tells you all you need to know.

xxczx

81% win rate this week lol. We all took a break from PvP when 3.1 hit but now we are all back and Chaos is owned by Maelstrom again

IvorB

I went into Diadem at the weekend and I must say I found it pretty poor. People are still camped on dino island which is really boring killing the same enemies over-and-over. It's also a really bad venue if a star shows up due to the slopes and the cramped conditions. I was constantly getting that the enemy is out of my line of sight because it's slightly over the slope. I really want to like Diadem but that's just not fun. Not to mention we only got one NM pitch up. Maybe I should stick to HM...

Tiops

My Au Ra is the only one I've ever saw that doesn't have that dreamy/sad eyes. I tend to make my characters with more serious faces, and it's great because I can actually see a difference between them and the rest.

On the other hand, I never saw a male Au Ra that doesn't have that angry face + super saiyan hair.

studyguy

Got another SSD over the weekend. Installed Windows 10 too.
Backed up my game and moved it over to the SSD....

Forgot to save my UI settings folder!
Now I have to redo all my god damn macros/settings.
Awful awful.

Jeels

After 4-5 hours of various party finders, I finally saw meteors in Thordon Extreme.

Whoever said it's easy shit doesn't know that the majority of players just can't pass the DPS checks for it...

They really don't understand that the tanks only have enough cooldowns for one set of Sword Oath/Sword Shield attacks from the tank buster Knights...sometimes I get lucky and get Shield>Oath>Shield and can survive three but the dps still can't kill one of the two tanks in that time...

Squishy3

After 4-5 hours of various party finders, I finally saw meteors in Thordon Extreme.

Whoever said it's easy shit doesn't know that the majority of players just can't pass the DPS checks for it...

They really don't understand that the tanks only have enough cooldowns for one set of Sword Oath/Sword Shield attacks from the tank buster Knights...sometimes I get lucky and get Shield>Oath>Shield and can survive three but the dps still can't kill one of the two tanks in that time...
Well it's easy if your group can. Honestly, in my group when we were learning none of us used our offensive CDs after we downed the first knight in order to save them for the meteors. And 6/8 should be DPSing the meteors anyway since tanks have nothing to tank in that fight. And healers can just get away with doing aoe heals whenever the comets come down.

Just sounds like a case of bad DPS, which is totally understandable if you're running via PF groups.

iammeiam

Good news! After tonight's hotfix, you can now never not be in a Diadem! Cooldown going from 2 hours to 45 minutes.

Maintanence tonight from 9PM to 2AM Pacific, for this and other exciting changes.

This isn't right. Holmgang and cooldowns should carry you through two Sword Oath and a Shield Oath hit, with the bonus of getting to stay in DPS stance during whichever Bladedance you Holmgamg. You shouldn't be seeing two Sword Oath hits,
But you should have enough CDs to survive it if it happens.

Sifl

I've basically given up trying to clear via pf. The furthest I got was when I filled in for some1 and we got it to 35%, and they've cleared since then. I'm tired of people still dying at the divebombs, so the only hope I have is some1 doesn't show again.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
An Au Ra with the go-to face, hair highlights and Minfilia haircut.
Not surprising.
It's the best face...

Face 1 > Fat Horns = Face 4 (Anime angry face) > Fish Face

None of them are bad. Some are just easier to work with.

How the heck did you play that many matches in a week when it seems like queue times suck at the moment? All 3 GCs right now on primal appear to have shit queue times unless you have a party of like 8, and PVP activity is at an all time low at the moment so that's hard to get on Ultros. I get in maybe 10 matches in a week now, and that's after transferring back to Flames because Maelstrom's queue times were anywhere from 90-120mins. RIP rank 50 since I was only rank 34 on Flames before I got my 100 wins. I'm just about rank 36. I got to rank 40 on Adders by the time I hit 100 wins cuz they were terribad when I played with them, and I hit rank 47 by the time I got 200 wins with Maelstrom.

Meteors is usually a semi-major hurdle in that it visually looks chaotic, but it's really simple once you calm down and know what you have to do. You only need one healer "healing" during that part unless multiple people mess up and gets hit by Impact + have meteors (this will happen in progression for a bit, but eventually this shouldn't be happening). After the 2nd impact goes out, everyone should be DPSing honestly - medica II should be up and a few regens. Can't stress enough how good Assize is at helping take down comets - use it in a good spot to hit as many of them as you can + be in cleric stance please. Also you can get out two fluid aura's at the very least (in cleric again please), the second use is usually perfect for finishing off a comet that's low.

As for the two knights, you blow some decent CDs for the Shield, pop your big CD for Sword (HG/HG/LD). I've healed all three tanks through their Sword Stance Heavenly Blade hit without them needing to burn their biggest CD so long as they have some up to survive long enough for 1 heal to register (ie not be one shot before any heals can register). I've seen DRK pop LD and it not activate because I kept them from activating it and HG WAR not hit 1 HP. And again, a WHM should pretty much be solo healing that part with SCH only needing to throw out adlos before heavenly blades and a succor up before DRG jumps and holiest of holies. Also use of Eye 4 Eye and Virus helps here. Virus the Sword Stance Knight only before each Heavenly Blade. I know some groups like to have SCH/SMN virus the aoe stuff from Thordan, but I prefer having virus up for the tank busting hits in the fight (Heavenly Blade/Heavenly Heel).

And if one tank has to deal with a third Heavenly Blade, I mean, you should have some CDs back up for it I believe if you're doing your rotation right. I've seen a third heavenly blade a few times in groups, and the tank has never died to it (not even close).

xxczx

All 3 GCs right now on primal appear to have shit queue times unless you have a party of like 8
we run a linkshell where there is premades running every day, it's always full and there is a second group with 3-5 people in too :)

How the heck did you play that many matches in a week when it seems like queue times suck at the moment? All 3 GCs right now on primal appear to have shit queue times unless you have a party of like 8, and PVP activity is at an all time low at the moment so that's hard to get on Ultros. I get in maybe 10 matches in a week now, and that's after transferring back to Flames because Maelstrom's queue times were anywhere from 90-120mins. RIP rank 50 since I was only rank 34 on Flames before I got my 100 wins. I'm just about rank 36. I got to rank 40 on Adders by the time I hit 100 wins cuz they were terribad when I played with them, and I hit rank 47 by the time I got 200 wins with Maelstrom.

that's the aether group

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I went into Diadem at the weekend and I must say I found it pretty poor. People are still camped on dino island which is really boring killing the same enemies over-and-over. It's also a really bad venue if a star shows up due to the slopes and the cramped conditions. I was constantly getting that the enemy is out of my line of sight because it's slightly over the slope. I really want to like Diadem but that's just not fun. Not to mention we only got one NM pitch up. Maybe I should stick to HM...

It's the best face...

Face 1 > Fat Horns = Face 4 (Anime angry face) > Fish Face

None of them are bad. Some are just easier to work with.

I implore you to reconsider.

Ken

An Au Ra with the go-to face, hair highlights and Minfilia haircut.
Not surprising.

Also Hunger Games first name with Neko last name.

Good news! After tonight's hotfix, you can now never not be in a Diadem! Cooldown going from 2 hours to 45 minutes.

Maintanence tonight from 9PM to 2AM Pacific, for this and other exciting changes.

Hm, that's kind of a weird change. One thing I see it doing is making quitting out of bad Diadem groups more appealing. On the other hand, I guess that kind of helps everyone in a bad Diadem group cause they can all bail out and get back in quicker.

Also, random aside I did a Diadem HM that stuck around with a full zerg. Got 8 NMs, 11 golds, and like 86 silvers, which is just as good as my best pre-nerf runs. Probably a weird outlier since the majority of explorations I've been on have been much worse but it was nice.

iammeiam

I think they'd just drop the cooldown entirely if speed Diadem wouldn't quickly become the primary choice for Eso capping. Objectives are quick and Diadem would wind up overtaking dungeons for Eso grinding if you could just chain do objectives.

I do wonder if this means you'll see more groups forming and billing themselves as only for 45 minutes/hour. Reducing the CD means you could go in for a sane amount of time, leave, and not piss anyone off because they can just go back in with bright-eyed and enthusiastic people.

Ken

I always forget Esoterics in Diadem is a thing.

Short term groups would be counterproductive to Star spawning, I'd think. If it's a bad group though then probably worth it.

Surprisingly I haven't had much bad PF group experiences, if excluding Diadem RNG itself. I did have one NIN trying to leech the group by just auto-attack mobs and then idling elsewhere and rolling on all the loot. I called him out on it and he said he was on the phone...while continuing to roll on loot. He finally joined to fight a Wisent and all he did was Throwing Daggers. I left pretty quickly.

Jayhawk

I always forget Esoterics in Diadem is a thing.

Short term groups would be counterproductive to Star spawning, I'd think. If it's a bad group though then probably worth it.

Yeah, short term runs is counter-productive for spawning star ranks. 45~ minutes into a run would mean a typical group is already working on their 2nd set of Fresh Tracks. You're wasting a Star rank by leaving at that time before your 2nd Fresh Tracks. There is also the wasted 5-10 minutes of unlocking flying in a second run.

scy

Would at least make it easier to pop in for random gathering trips without being the larger lockout.

This isn't right. Holmgang and cooldowns should carry you through two Sword Oath and a Shield Oath hit, with the bonus of getting to stay in DPS stance during whichever Bladedance you Holmgamg. You shouldn't be seeing two Sword Oath hits,
But you should have enough CDs to survive it if it happens.

To add on to this, before I just Holmgang'd Sword Oath hit / forget to push any buttons during Shield Oath, I'd just pop Thrill+Conv+Raw Intuition or Vengeance for Sword Oath LBs and Foresight on Shield Oath, IBs as I remembered (and/or was actually in Defiance, usually tanked in Deliverance for non-Shield Oath ones).

Top Bottom