• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Tabris

How many active players at one time is there on a server like Ultros? It seems so dead compared to FFXI just in the zones and cities.

Jeels

GAF...I got the most amazing Moogle keychain off etsy... Props to the artist!

g4mWbsBh.jpg

aceface

The only servers which ever seem to gain are Balmung and Gilgamesh.

Balmung because it's the social/RP server, and Gilgamesh because it's the de-facto progression/hardcore raiding server and anyone who doesn't want to be a mongrel goes there.

The other servers are slowly bleeding to death. The fundamentally anti-social nature of FFXIV and other modern WoW-like MMOs makes it really hard to sustain a whole constellation of healthy server populations I guess.

They should move one of the monster severs to Primal to help with queues.

Omni

I've temporarily given up on Thordan.

It's pretty much at the point where if you don't already have a clear, then you can't join the only competent players in the PF who are farming, so instead you are stuck with people who can't even see Meteors. And good luck trying to teach people that within an hour or before people bail. I know most of the fight but that doesn't matter when no one else does.

Hmph.

Man Balmung is crazy popular. Didn't realize RPing was that big. Never once seen that server opened, Gilgamesh sure but never Balmung. My world (Ragnarok) seemed to have had only a net gain of 3.

WolvenOne

Man Balmung is crazy popular. Didn't realize RPing was that big. Never once seen that server opened, Gilgamesh sure but never Balmung. My world (Ragnarok) seemed to have had only a net gain of 3.

Hey, when I was choosing servers it was a close call between Ultros and Balmung. I'm not a huge role player but I've been told it's more fun in an MMO setting. Ultimately, going where I knew there'd be a community won out.

PS: RP, not ERP.

rubius01

Hey, when I was choosing servers it was a close call between Ultros and Balmung. I'm not a huge role player but I've been told it's more fun in an MMO setting. Ultimately, going where I knew there'd be a community won out.

PS: RP, not ERP.

Man, I dont get the role playing aspect of it. Ran into some on DF everonce on a while and I dont see the appeal of it. To each their own I guess

ERP too.

suprise ERP us the best though. Thanks korra

-NeoTB1-

RP is really the only thing that keeps me playing MMOs after I get tired of the end-game and gear rush. Lots of fun if you're a fan of lore and story-telling. But yeah... definitely not for everyone. Whenever I come back to the game, it will be on Balmung.

Sandfox

Not sure how they got the data, but this was being discussed I think yesterday or Sunday night in one of my LSs:

FF XIV Server Transfer Data (October 29 - November 25)

Ultros lost more than gained. Which is sadly, the norm. A majority of servers lost people, while a smaller group gained. Balmung gained the most people, followed by Shinryu, Gilgamesh, and Chocobo.

Balmung also enjoys virtually non existent gil spam since it's almost impossible to create a fresh new account on Balmung. You typically need to pay a transfer fee to get there on an existing character, and gil sellers don't do that apparently. Those that do get through are easily caught in the monthly sweeps.

Wonder when/if we'll see server mergers. Did that happen in XI at all?

Edit: Considering they made 180K off transfers in one month, I doubt they'll ever do mergers or remove transfer caps.

SE should've either added incentives to keep people on their original servers or locked down transfers to Gilgamesh months ago. They need to get more people raiding in addition to potentially merging servers because people are just going to keep leaking out to the perserved hard core and casual servers no matter how big the population is.

Squishy3

SE should've either added incentives to keep people on their original servers or locked down transfers to Gilgamesh months ago. They need to get more people raiding in addition to potentially merging servers because people are just going to keep leaking out to the perserved hard core and casual servers no matter how big the population is.
I wonder how many people who transfer to Gilgamesh because "their server is holding back their raiding potential" end up quitting. That'd be a fun statistic to see.

aceface

It would be a big help if they could figure out cross-server friends lists and parties. Cross-server pf would be nice.

So I just did my weekly Void Ark run and I didn't notice my inventory was full and couldn't get the Farthing...
If I run it again will I get it?

Omni

So Blood for Blood is pretty essential for Bards, isn't it? Any other cross class skills that are important? I recently levelled Scholar to 34 and got Eye for an Eye on my WHM, so I figure maybe it's time to get the rest for my other job.

So I just did my weekly Void Ark run and I didn't notice my inventory was full and couldn't get the Farthing...

There's only one way to find out xD

Ken

So Blood for Blood is pretty essential for Bards, isn't it? Any other cross class skills that are important? I recently levelled Scholar to 34 and got Eye for an Eye on my WHM, so I figure maybe it's time to get the rest for my other job.

There's only one way to find out xD

B4B, Internal Release, Invigorate, Second Wind.

Last slot's probably the whatever for featherfoot/keen flurry/feint.

I kind of want to say no since the item actually tries to drop into your inventory and falls to the floor if it can't, like looting gear with a full inventory. So technically you did get one but not really.

I think docbon lost his first farthing week 1 but I don't know if he tried to get another, so go find out for us!

Frumix

Suffering From Success
B4B, Internal Release, Invigorate, Second Wind.

Last slot's probably the whatever for featherfoot/keen flurry/feint.

I kind of want to say no since the item actually tries to drop into your inventory and falls to the floor if it can't, like looting gear with a full inventory. So technically you did get one but not really.

I think docbon lost his first farthing week 1 but I don't know if he tried to get another, so go find out for us!

Featherfoot is useless
Feint is for bads
Keen flurry can be okay if you're tanking with your face which you shouldn't.

tl;dr CC Haymaker to give comeuppance to bosses who cast Gaze attacks since they count as a dodge
I'm only half-kidding.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I was thinking about jumping back in after a long time (like, before the Leviathan patch, even), but upon seeing that I totally just missed out on $20 Heavensward by a couple days, I kinda don't want to now. =/ The four free days is nice, but without Heavensward I'd feel like I was missing out and I can't really do $40 right now on top of everything else I have on my plate.

Would anyone happen to know anywhere I could still get Heavensward PS3 for $20?

Ken

I was thinking about jumping back in after a long time (like, before the Leviathan patch, even), but upon seeing that I totally just missed out on $20 Heavensward by a couple days, I kinda don't want to now. =/ The four free days is nice, but without Heavensward I'd feel like I was missing out and I can't really do $40 right now on top of everything else I have on my plate.

Would anyone happen to know anywhere I could still get Heavensward PS3 for $20?

Deal seems over on Newegg too so idk.

Assuming you can't find Heavensward, you still have good amount of story quests between Leviathan and Heavensward that you could potentially use your 4 days to knock out.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Deal seems over on Newegg too so idk.

Assuming you can't find Heavensward, you still have good amount of story quests between Leviathan and Heavensward that you could potentially use your 4 days to knock out.

Yeah, true enough.

I dunno, maybe I'll just wait for the next sale. Honestly with all the stuff I got on BF and Yakuza 5 coming soon, maybe I don't need to jump back into an MMO right now. Might still jump in during the free period, I dunno. Depends on if Yakuza 5 is released during PSX on Saturday or not.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Here's a straight up question: If you're trying to progress as a DoW, and get some decent weapons and armor, would you get it through being a DoH or stick with raids and quests?

xxczx

Here's a straight up question: If you're trying to progress as a DoW, and get some decent weapons and armor, would you get it through being a DoH or stick with raids and quests?
For leveling, you can craft stuff yourself for cheap HQ gear instead of relying on dungeons and market board but end game there is nothing aside from gear for alt classes you can make.

But crafting is totally different and will take up all your time to level to get it to point where you can be dependant (i.e omnicrafting, leveling up all crafts). If you enjoy it, go for it otherwise it's 100% optional.

Tiops

Finally completed the Summoner set! Two weeks without capping Esoterics set me back.

The horn is bigger than I expected...

aae0afce4c5c8c3aa4d941aae3c513d5_be20385e18333edb329d4574f364a1f0fl0_640x873.jpg

Caj814

So is FATE grinding still the fastest way to get GC seals? Need to farm 3 bombard cores before I have all the items I need for my Zodiac Braves weapon.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
For leveling, you can craft stuff yourself for cheap HQ gear instead of relying on dungeons and market board but end game there is nothing aside from gear for alt classes you can make.

But crafting is totally different and will take up all your time to level to get it to point where you can be dependant (i.e omnicrafting, leveling up all crafts). If you enjoy it, go for it otherwise it's 100% optional.

Yeah, this is what I thought. Carpentry has taken up all my time, and almost all of my gil. It just not as fun as killing stuff.

xxczx

The only thing I recommend is leveling 1 gatherer (Miner is a good one) as a 'side job'. If you're feeling a little low on gil you can just go out and gather to gain some including getting 1 map per day which can gain you lots of gil (either a quick 20k from selling the map directly or getting lucky on the map drops (new minon Paissa is 3mil on my server))

Zhao_Yun

Pretty sure you can't get it anymore even if you rerun.

Source: My statics PLD had a full inventory when we cleared A1S for the first time and he didn't get the page. Cleared it again for a friend the same week and he didn't get a "replacement" unfortunately. So assuming Void Ark works the same way, you won't get another chance this week unfortunately.

aceface

The only thing I recommend is leveling 1 gatherer (Miner is a good one) as a 'side job'. If you're feeling a little low on gil you can just go out and gather to gain some including getting 1 map per day which can gain you lots of gil (either a quick 20k from selling the map directly or getting lucky on the map drops (new minon Paissa is 3mil on my server))

Oh I didn't know about the new minion. Gotta start farming maps again.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Don't have your inventory full. Ever.
The game even warns you about it.

I've been hearing about this recently. Mine is starting to fill up. I'd wouldn't mind discarding stuff. But I'm afraid I might throw something important away. I need to hand some stuff over to my retainer.

Zhao_Yun

I've been hearing about this recently. Mine is starting to fill up. I'd wouldn't mind discarding stuff. But I'm afraid I might throw something important away. I need to hand some stuff over to my retainer.

Just take a look at the market board whether the items you have are actually worth anything. If not, you might as well sell them off or discard them.

studyguy

Was leveling a class, did a roulette, got Ravana.
We ended up getting like 8 swords while everyone else ignored the butterflies.
I don't think I had ever seen that many swords.

Qvoth

i dunno if i'm just lucky or what but most of the mistbreaks i got from diadem are generally better than my 210s lol

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I'm pretty sure the new 24-man loot system is actually far worse because despite 4 chances instead of 1, each loot table consists of 21 items.

docbon

Pretty sure you can't get it anymore even if you rerun.

Huh? I had the same thing happen to me, and I got it on my second run.

The game needs a loot list though, instead of assuming you don't want a thing since your inventory is full. One of the more annoying things.

Ken

I'm pretty sure the new 24-man loot system is actually far worse because despite 4 chances instead of 1, each loot table consists of 21 items.

It's probably done with the intention of avoiding another WoD Bard Shirt shenanigans above anything else.

Huh? I had the same thing happen to me, and I got it on my second run.

The game needs a loot list though, instead of assuming you don't want a thing since your inventory is full. One of the more annoying things.

Or just make it a weekly quest reward since those will check your inventory...like the old CT Weekly.

Spoony Bard minion incoming.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3uzl6u/heavensward_bluray_ost_releasing_in_japan_22416/

Also if you want to get the HW art book with the Relm minion:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/4757548559/

Up for pre-order now, will be cheaper than SE store even with shipping cost.

I couldn't even tell you who Gilbert is off the top of my head.

Top Bottom