• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Demoskinos

GAF Halp.

So I got my Miner to 60 last night. Now comes the part where I try to meld all this new fangled gear I bought. I found a page that lists all the caps for the gear the problem is the hard caps on the gear seam unreasonable money wise when V's are selling for like 7 Million on Ultros right now.

Is there any good guide to showing a cost effective/efficient way to meld gear and be able to reliable get into the end game with the folklore nodes? I've never really dipped my toe into the end game with DoL or DoH yet. But I figured miner would be a good investement.

Valor

GAF Halp.

So I got my Miner to 60 last night. Now comes the part where I try to meld all this new fangled gear I bought. I found a page that lists all the caps for the gear the problem is the hard caps on the gear seam unreasonable money wise when V's are selling for like 7 Million on Ultros right now.

Is there any good guide to showing a cost effective/efficient way to meld gear and be able to reliable get into the end game with the folklore nodes? I've never really dipped my toe into the end game with DoL or DoH yet. But I figured miner would be a good investement.
I never bothered melding. Just get gear good enough to mine red scrips and buy that gear instead of spending gil on your current stuff

dramatis

GAF Halp.

Meld 1 GP materia to an accessory.

Now gather red scrip items for like 10 weeks and you'll have a set of Miner AF equipment. No need for melds.

In a more serious fashion: most of what is currently endgame gathering don't require melds, unless you're gathering from the folklore nodes—items which don't have much of a demand either. Your income as as gatherer are actually best gained through:
  • The 50-60 ores, such as Mythrite Ore, Titanium Ore, Hardsilver Ore, Adamantite Ore, as the crafts use much more of those items than lower level crafts (an Iron Ingot uses 1 Iron Ore, a Titanium Ingot uses 5). Other items in this category include Hardsilver Sand, Cloud Mica, Aurum Regis Sand, Abalathian Spring Water—these items are easier to acquire than the ores because they're always at the nodes as opposed to having a random chance to be at a node.
  • Maps: The Timeworn maps (Lv 50 Boarskin, Lv 60 Wyvernskin, Lv 60 Dragonskin) can be gathered once every 18 hours (essentially a day), and sell consistently for 20k+ each, with variable prices depending on supply and demand. That's an income of at least 20k a day.
  • Soils: With the new gardening items added last patch, gardening has come in fashion again, so gathering Grade 3 Thanalan Soil (Lv 50) once an hour will net you about 15k per soil. Some people might also be purchasing Grade 3 Shroud Soil, and these two pop at hourly nodes close in time together, so you can get both of them in a quick fashion and make a buck.
  • Crystals and Clusters: always in vogue. There's an easier method to gather them nowadays that involves timed nodes and a rotation.
If you're looking for a return on investment, don't meld. All of the stuff on the list are the general means of making money as a miner, and they don't require melds at all.

Ken

How do you fish Timeworns now. Is there a dedicated button for it cause I've never gotten one fishing at Tailfeather.

How many active players at one time is there on a server like Ultros? It seems so dead compared to FFXI just in the zones and cities.

A statistic like that would be damning for a server like my own. I think someone was shouting in Idyllshire last night how Goblin was like the 2nd or 3rd ranked lowest population server in the game right now. It doesn't help either that the server is pretty carebear when it comes to endgame raiding. People server hop away all the time if they want to get some actual raiding PUGs.

Hell I'm thinking of canceling my sub myself and just using time cards to re-up my account when I can ignite some interest in playing again. 3.1 was a dud for me. Void ark was made dead on arrival just like Bismarck, and the Heavensward EX primals are shit to DF now. I don't think 3.2 or 3.3 is really gonna be enough either to invigorate my interest in the game, since Diadem effectively killed PvP ques again :/

Ken

A statistic like that would be damning for a server like my own. I think someone was shouting in Idyllshire last night how Goblin was like the 2nd or 3rd ranked lowest population server in the game right now. It doesn't help either that the server is pretty carebear when it comes to endgame raiding. People server hop away all the time if they want to get some actual raiding PUGs.

Hell I'm thinking of canceling my sub myself and just using time cards to re-up my account when I can ignite some interest in playing again. 3.1 was a dud for me. Void ark was made dead on arrival just like Bismarck, and the Heavensward EX primals are shit to DF now. I don't think 3.2 or 3.3 is really gonna be enough either to invigorate my interest in the game since Diadem effectively killed PvP ques again :/

I don't think Void Ark is DOA like Bismark. People still run it weekly for Farthings. On the other hand, I think I would only still have one Expanse Totems if not for help nights.

I don't think Void Ark is DOA like Bismark. People still run it weekly for Farthings. On the other hand, I think I would only still have one Expanse Totems if not for help nights.

It depends on your grind tolerance but you get better gear from Diadem just by spamming it a few times a week. It makes gearing alt classes in something halfway decent a lot easier than just waiting on a weekly lock out. Void Ark as a result is made into nothing more than a weekly fetch for twine/coats.

Ken

It depends on your grind tolerance but you get better gear from Diadem just by spamming it a few times a week. It makes gearing alt classes in something halfway decent a lot easier than just waiting on a weekly lock out. Void Ark as a result is made into nothing more than a weekly fetch for twine/coats.

Diadem depends on how much you want to grind but also the ability to get a good group for HM and then hoping you fall into an instance with actual people inside, and the last part feels like it gets harder as time goes on at least on my DC.

A weekly fetch is still nice if only because you only ever have to run it once a week but the option is always there to run it more if you're looking for glamour pieces, which I think is a good kind of content.

I'm pretty sure the new 24-man loot system is actually far worse because despite 4 chances instead of 1, each loot table consists of 21 items.

"New"? It's been that way since LoTA. Increasing the number of drops per chest doesn't change the fact that adding new classes has contributed to incredible amounts of loot table bloat. Getting what you actually wanted from WoD was an exercise in suffering, and that was before they added DRK, MCH, and AST.

Don't have your inventory full. Ever.
The game even warns you about it.

Games which aren't a piece of shit will simply send inventory overflow to your mailbox, or even just open a temporary pane to put things in and then lock you out of doing any more instanced content until you clear it.

I play a fucking F2P phone game which has better full inventory management than FFXIV.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Games which aren't a piece of shit will simply send inventory overflow to your mailbox, or even just open a temporary pane to put things in and then lock you out of doing any more instanced content until you clear it.

I play a fucking F2P phone game which has better full inventory management than FFXIV.
XIV is pretty bottom of the barrel when it comes to QoL type stuff.

Valor

A weekly fetch is still nice if only because you only ever have to run it once a week but the option is always there to run it more if you're looking for glamour pieces, which I think is a good kind of content.
This is pretty much the point of void ark. You run it and get your 210 token and if you get a piece of 200 for filler/glamour it's a bonus. Some of those 200 pieces are pretty damn nice and if it weren't for dinosaur gear they might have been in the running for some bis lists probably.

It's like the definition of optional but rewarding content. The dungeon design is actually pretty good with fun short trash pulls or trash priority in the morbol area. I think that those 24 man raids have consistently gotten better every iteration. I guess it's more fun to shit on content though, so it sucks.

Also literally the only inventory management problem in the game is 25 pieces per equip slot in the armory chest. I have no issue juggling 100 items on me and utilizing retainers. If I wasn't a huge pack rat/collector I wouldn't have even needed a third retainer. It's not like the game doesn't warn you like four times when you're close to filling your inventory but it's the games fault I have 100 pieces of garbage on me and I didn't get the auto assigned loot I went into this instance to obtain. Broken game.

Jayhawk

GAF Halp.

Issue #1: You can't meld tier V materia on the ilvl i150 gear.
Issue #2: You don't need to reach the hard caps to be able to get the stats you want for the nodes with the highest requirements.
Issue #3: You overspent on i150 gear. Request somebody in FC to craft them and just buy the materials.

Also literally the only inventory management problem in the game is 25 pieces per equip slot in the armory chest. I have no issue juggling 100 items on me and utilizing retainers. If I wasn't a huge pack rat/collector I wouldn't have even needed a third retainer. It's not like the game doesn't warn you like four times when you're close to filling your inventory but it's the games fault I have 100 pieces of garbage on me and I didn't get the auto assigned loot I went into this instance to obtain. Broken game.

Adorable Galen with less than half the number of retainers as the true pack rats.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
"New"? It's been that way since LoTA. Increasing the number of drops per chest doesn't change the fact that adding new classes has contributed to incredible amounts of loot table bloat. Getting what you actually wanted from WoD was an exercise in suffering, and that was before they added DRK, MCH, and AST.

Yes, it's new compared to CT. In CT, each chest had specific loot assigned to it, so say a body piece for Bard would only drop from Boss 3. In VA, you can encounter, for example, a body piece for any role after 2 of 4 bosses, like how boss 1 can drop belts, hands and hats. And DRK, MCH and AST didn't do anything for the loot table as they shared it with other classes using Fending, Aiming and Healing respectively. The wrench was the Scouting gear. Seriously, you're being WolvenOne levels of clueless over this.

Besides a couple of negative quirks like that, UI and usability in this game is heads above practically every similar MMO on the market. Configurable HUD alone is such a blessing. Claiming XIV has a low QoL level is insanity.

Squishy3

Besides a couple of negative quirks like that, UI and usability in this game is heads above practically every similar MMO on the market. Configurable HUD alone is such a blessing. Claiming XIV has a low QoL level is insanity.
Inventory management in XIV is terrible, especially considering how much junk you pick up.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Inventory management in XIV is terrible, especially considering how much junk you pick up.

Quote an MMO running right now that does it better, I'm curious. I don't think it's very good in XIV, but it's manageable, which is more than I can say for... well, WoW, for example?

Sorian

Banned
Quote an MMO running right now that does it better, I'm curious. I don't think it's very good in XIV, but it's manageable, which is more than I can say for... well, WoW, for example?

Every MMO (WoW included) handles a bank inventory system better. Tying it to retainers was the stupidest idea ever.

Yes, it's new compared to CT. In CT, each chest had specific loot assigned to it, so say a body piece for Bard would only drop from Boss 3. In VA, you can encounter, for example, a body piece for any role after 2 of 4 bosses, like how boss 1 can drop belts, hands and hats. And DRK, MCH and AST didn't do anything for the loot table as they shared it with other classes using Fending, Aiming and Healing respectively. The wrench was the Scouting gear.

I've been unsubbed for several months now and I haven't even been in Void Ark. I actually didn't know they had changed it again and made it even worse.

Seriously, you're being WolvenOne levels of clueless over this.

Now you're crossing a line that you shouldn't have crossed. Don't do that again. Ever.

Compared to what? I can tell you that Tera, a F2P MMO which I only play casually on-and-off, has a better UI than FFXIV. From what little I played of Black Desert during it's beta, it had a better UI than FFXIV. WoW of course supports mods so if you don't like anything about WoW's UI, you can change it.

I can also tell you that Tera, BD, and WoW all properly scale their UIs to higher resolutions, making them playable in 4K or any other arbitrary resolution you pick unlike FFXIV, where everything just gets smaller and smaller the higher the resolution goes until the UI is unplayably microscopic.

I could go off and start calling you WolvenOne levels of clueless after this explanation but I'm a catgirl with a conscience.

Sorian

Banned
8lgSW6s.gif

dramatis

Maybe it's because people are messy.

I've never paid for an extra retainer and I'm quite scrupulous about my inventory keeping. Always have at least ten free spaces, and in Diadem excess gear could go into the armory chest (this is while I was holding onto extra leveling and glamour gear!).

Y'all just messy pigs

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Now you're crossing a line that you shouldn't have crossed. Don't do that again. Ever.

I could go off and start calling you WolvenOne levels of clueless after this explanation but I'm a catgirl with a conscience.

That'd be over preferences, whereas you were wrong on hard facts.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I can also tell you that Tera, BD, and WoW all properly scale their UIs to higher resolutions, making them playable in 4K or any other arbitrary resolution you pick unlike FFXIV, where everything just gets smaller and smaller the higher the resolution goes until the UI is unplayably microscopic.

Oh man, this is one thing that grinds my gears in XIV. First, you can't adjust the size of the main dialog box at any resolution (for quests and such) which is complete bullshit. Then, if I want to use DSR to play downscaled 4K, the UI is completely useless and offers nothing. It straight up fucking sucks. ><

Squishy3

Every MMO (WoW included) handles a bank inventory system better. Tying it to retainers was the stupidest idea ever.
Not to mention the glamour gear predicament where it's not tied to a "wardrobe" system. You would restrict applying it to gear via the prism system, but you should be able to save any piece of armour into something like that, like Guild Wars 2 does. Crafting materials should also have their own section of the inventory saved for them, instead of just shards.

Sorian

Banned
Maybe it's because people are messy.

I've never paid for an extra retainer and I'm quite scrupulous about my inventory keeping. Always have at least ten free spaces, and in Diadem excess gear could go into the armory chest (this is while I was holding onto extra leveling and glamour gear!).

Y'all just messy pigs

You don't even know how to glamour!

I am now looking for a Tank AND melee dps for my static. Figure out why amongst yoursleves, that is always fun.

Please message Davos Wynter in game if you are interested or know someone that might be.

How do you fish Timeworns now. Is there a dedicated button for it cause I've never gotten one fishing at Tailfeather.

You have to enable the Snagging ability. It's to prevent you from getting a map you don't want when you're fishing somewhere else.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I've been reading up on the best way to level my archer. It just reached level 35. I read that now I should switch to Pugalist class and level it to 15, as it's a requirement for bard. Whatever the hell that is.

Nasser

I've been reading up on the best way to level my archer. It just reached level 35. I read that now I should switch to Pugalist class and level it to 15, as it's a requirement for bard. Whatever the hell that is.

Good luck. Bard job is actually one my favorites!

Ken

Just a fancy name for what archers "advance" into at level 30.

Alric

Hoping a Summoner out there can help me.

Just got to level 30 and play using a PS4 controller. Is there any must have macro or setups I should be doing to make managing the pet and skills easier? I'm still unsure how to best maximize my dps as a summoner.

Also I usually leave my summon on guard so it attacks when I do but this also means when just running around on chocobo it stops and starts attacking things until it disappears. Should I just be changing it to standby or is there a better way to manage the little bugger.

Ken

Hoping a Summoner out there can help me.

Just got to level 30 and play using a PS4 controller. Is there any must have macro or setups I should be doing to make managing the pet and skills easier? I'm still unsure how to best maximize my dps as a summoner.

Also I usually leave my summon on guard so it attacks when I do but this also means when just running around on chocobo it stops and starts attacking things until it disappears. Should I just be changing it to standby or is there a better way to manage the little bugger.

Obey is the stance you want, I think.

I don't recall needing any macros for SMN at 50.

MechaX

Look, I just want more (free) retainers or better storage options.

I have been running out of room on all retainers + my inventory + armory since first Coil, now I don't even know what to do besides turn in things I may want to glamor someday in for seals.

Ken

I have been running out of room on all retainers + my inventory + armory since first Coil, now I don't even know what to do besides turn in things I may want to glamor someday in for seals.

Armoire should be able to hold all blue gear since those generally have unique looks. But ps3 ps3 ps3

Qvoth

from what i've experienced, seems like pteranodons + some celphies is the popular route for diadem (at least in hard)
and it feels like 210 drop from bronze and silver chests are more common?
had a really bad pt yesterday, 1 tank 2 healers 5 dps and we still can't get chest from like 4-5 rank stars <_<
at least got a head and feet that are pretty awesome
head has crit 22 det 27 spellspeed 49 while feet has crit 18 det 56 spellspeed 35

Omni

I know it's a dickish thing to do,
and something I've complained about here before...
but I think from this point on I'm just gonna recruit people in the PF who have already cleared Thordan to help me. No more newbies. I did it tonight and we got him to about 30% or so on our second try. I feel like we'd have got it easily but the other healer and tank had to bug out. In contrast, almost every other party I've made without those restrictions have barely made it TO the meteors.

Gonna try again tomorrow.

been telling you to start crafting

Top Bottom