• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Ken

Probably a stupid question but I wanted to clear something about the recruitment code. Going to start playing with a friend soon, I already have an account I used to play beta way back when but never had an actual subscription for the full game. I don't see anywhere to put the code in under Account. Do I have to enter my license key for the full game first?
Here's what I see.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/2xxy5n/where_do_i_enter_the_recruit_a_friend_code/

Looks like you need to put the CD-key in first.

Shenmue

Banned
Random question:

Is anyone else's mogstation like this?

jUAFwys.png

Where it has two tabs where number 2 is just this beta account thing? I can't delete it.

Squishy3

Random question:

jUAFwys.png

Where it has two tabs where number 2 is just this beta account thing? I can't delete it.
Yeah, I still have the beta account on mine.

Also holy hell that Great Gubal exp buff is real. I got around 1.6m exp running it with rested exp. Granted, I also got it for Leveling Roulette, but still. That only accounts for 260k exp.

Ken

Derp. Bought Allagan resin cause I thought I sold mine but I actually turned it in already so now I have a second resin.

And then I learned you can't even vendor the resin.

Ken

I buy material I have stored somewhere all the fucking time.
God damn.

I tried searching too and found none. The mental failing was forgetting I had turned that part of the quest in while staring at a wiki page telling me to get an Allagan resin.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Random question:

http://i.imgur.com/jUAFwys.png

IIRC, when you register the game or boot it up for the first time on a new platform you're given the option to use an existing service account or make a new one. If you make a new one you get an additional numbered tab on mogstation like on your screen. My account only has one cause I haven't made any additional service accouts.

Wilsongt

Digging through my retainer inventory must be like looking into a hoarder's home.

Looking through one of my retainers is like looking at a materia factory. And then useless armor and weapons. Then useless crafting items.

Nothing of value sits in my retainers.

Ravidrath

I do really wish the item search would tell you which retainer it's on, because just saying I have some means potentially searching through four of them.

still looking for a static on EU server (can raid from 9PM GMT/ST) or Ultros (4PM eastern)

hit me up if interested in an i208 MNK

looking for group on last stage of A3S or on A4S progression

iammeiam

Machinists of GAF, what do you do for solo heals? Apart from "don't stand in anything".

That's pretty much it for solo content. Bring a Chocobo with healing skills? In party content it's more Don't stand in anything, know where your healers and Eos/Selene are at all times. Don't be the jackass that always stands out of AOE healing range and dies to attrition (I am this jackass a lot.) Maybe be careful with B4B, but that'd be hypocritical because I pretty much pop it whenever and have faith.

If you know a big raid-wide AOE is going to come up and wreck your day (A3S phase 1 splashes can be particularly nasty since we'll get hit harder than most of the other squishy party members due to low HP and not great MDEF, although now that everyone's full i210 this is less of a thing), remember that Dismantle and Rend Mind are your friends that should totally be one button but aren't because this game sucks. They're only 5% reduction, and you have to know if the attack is physical or magical, but it's still 5% less damage to worry about. It's also nice to have handy for 6x splashes later in the fight, since that's a ton of potential damage and 5% over time can add up to a decent number.

Beyond that we have no method for getting HP back. Pots, I guess, but any content doing enough damage that HP is a concern is content you're probably using Dex pots on anyway.

Squishy3

That's pretty much it for solo content. Bring a Chocobo with healing skills? In party content it's more Don't stand in anything, know where your healers and Eos/Selene are at all times. Don't be the jackass that always stands out of AOE healing range and dies to attrition (I am this jackass a lot.)
As a Dragoon this always makes me slightly angry with any ranged DPS because they're also standing out of Battle Litany range.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Digging through my retainer inventory must be like looking into a hoarder's home.

This reminds me, I've got so much shit that I'd like to sell but the game says I can't. I don't want to disgard it. Can I give it away?

studyguy

In order to store items of value in your retainer you actually have to own valuable items in the first place.

So Dated 1.0 gear and Rank I materia, common mats it is for me.

iammeiam

As a Dragoon this always makes me slightly angry with any ranged DPS because they're also standing out of Battle Litany range.

Litany is a whole other headache--since ranged has cast times now, generally the starting part of any opener is going to involve a lot of standing still to get things set up (it takes me 3 GCDs to get into the more mobile portion of my opener), and if I want to properly do the opener I have to start casting out of aggro range but in target range so that Hot Shot hits simultaneous with the pull. This makes getting in Litany range before it goes out without dropping an oGCD or pushing my GCD an adventure half the time, and often a failure if the boss ends up a little further back than normal because I don't plan that much movement.

You also kind of have to learn when to expect Litany to be going out so you know to run in to grab it if normal positioning for mechanics puts you at the edges of possible reach (A4S Leg 3 Carnage is awful for this.)

Valor

Adorable Galen with less than half the number of retainers as the true pack rats.
Well I have one retainer with actual gear/weapons for all of the classes that are worth keeping either for leveling or glamour or whatever, one retainer for items and materia which i had to clean out since I had a bunch of junk I never used/didn't use anymore, and I bought a third retainer literally to hold all of my bard gear I've accrued since I started the game. You could hang onto literally every piece of gear you've accumulated since you started the game but even that has its limits. I also dumped a ton of stuff because I didn't want to pay for a third retainer way back when.

And here we are. Also I need to clean my inventory since I only have ten free spaces open and an armory chest stuffed to the gills. I'm plenty packrat without being a hoarder.

Returning in Lightning Returns in 8 days

You reap what you sow
Can we plant more Lightning in the garden, then?

theworst.jpg
The Worst: (n) Felix Rivers.

Ask Designated Corpse
Sounds like that question was answered right there.

Squishy3

Good to see my JP PSN account is going to get some use other than the Yakuza 0 demo I downloaded. You can use them on any account after downloading them, right?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Haven't been seriously raiding since July and I admit, I was a little bit shocked how easily A1S snaps in half compared to week one. I don't think the first turns got that much defanged with gear back in Coil.

ebil

Haven't been seriously raiding since July and I admit, I was a little bit shocked how easily A1S snaps in half compared to week one. I don't think the first turns got that much defanged with gear back in Coil.
I wouldn't know, as soon as it became too easy to handle my group's DPS decided to have multiple bombs explode by either dying to Photon Spaser or by pretty much one-shotting the adds each week to keep us healers on our toes. Each week is a brand new experience!

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I wouldn't know, as soon as it became too easy to handle my group's DPS decided to have multiple bombs explode by either dying to Photon Spaser or by pretty much one-shotting the adds each week to keep us healers on our toes. Each week is a brand new experience!

Our WAR accidentally fell cleaved an Alarum to death.

Zomba13

Make JP account. "Buy" the avatars and switch to US account. They should be in your avatar choices.

Ah cool. Didn't know if it worked that way like games or if they were tied to the accounts.

EDIT: Tried, doesn't work. can only use them on the JP account. Might be because they appear to be PS4 only avatars and not PS3 ones? I know themes work cross region accounts.

Omni

Tried Thordan again earlier...

Full party with everyone having ilevels above 200. I solo healed the first bit as usual since I'm a WHM, but everyone else was focused on DPS. We barely got him to 80% before the next phase started... You should be aiming for <70% there, right? Barely survived the Knight DPS check straight after too. o.0

Needless to say, that wasn't my clearing group. Haha. Have to try again next time

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Tried Thordan again earlier...

Full party with everyone having ilevels above 200. I solo healed the first bit as usual since I'm a WHM, but everyone else was focused on DPS. We barely got him to 80% before the next phase started... You should be aiming for <70% there, right? Barely survived the Knight DPS check straight after too. o.0

Needless to say, that wasn't my clearing group. Haha. Have to try again next time

He phases at 70 or after Heavenly Heel + cleave.
80% at that point is people really not pulling their weight.

Squishy3

Oh, you can't use the Japanese avatars on a US account. Here's hoping they add them to the US store. :/ Since the avatars are stored server-side and aren't downloaded like themes are, it doesn't work, because the avatars don't exist on the US servers.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Started a Pugalist discipline and got him up to lvl 11. I was surprised how quickly you can level once you have most of the basics down. I got the Second Wind and Feather Foot abilities. I just need to get to level 15 to get Internal Release and I should be good to go to advance my Archer to Bard. I read on reddit that I should also take up Lancer as it gives a couple of nice abilities at level 35 that would come in handy for Bard. But I don't know if I want to grind up to that.

Omni

He phases at 70 or after Heavenly Heel + cleave.
80% at that point is people really not pulling their weight.

Thought so. Two attempts like that and people just started leaving //shrug. Though I can't blame them.

I don't even know why I'm trying to do it... haha. For what I do in XIV, there's no difference between an i200 or i205 weapon. I've never touched Savage. Suppose the Choco barding is cool, but 15 clears? Man.

Demoskinos

Started a Pugalist discipline and got him up to lvl 11. I was surprised how quickly you can level once you have most of the basics down. I got the Second Wind and Feather Foot abilities. I just need to get to level 15 to get Internal Release and I should be good to go to advance my Archer to Bard. I read on reddit that I should also take up Lancer as it gives a couple of nice abilities at level 35 that would come in handy for Bard. But I don't know if I want to grind up to that.

Its a pretty quick ascent until like level 30 then it slows down a bit. Although if you have a FC XP buff + Rested xp you can even plow through the 30's at a reasonable clip

Ken

Oh, you can't use the Japanese avatars on a US account. Here's hoping they add them to the US store. :/ Since the avatars are stored server-side and aren't downloaded like themes are, it doesn't work, because the avatars don't exist on the US servers.

Rip. Maybe they'll come over eventually like the PS4 theme?

You also have armoury bonus which gives you 50% bonus XP for lower leveled jobs.

Bard needs Blood for Blood and Invigorate from Lancer.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
You also have armoury bonus which gives you 50% bonus XP for lower leveled jobs.

Bard needs Blood for Blood and Invigorate from Lancer.

That's what I read. I'll hit Pugalist level 15 tomorrow and start Lancer this weekend. I'd like to get back to the main story quest soon. I haven't even joined a Grand Company or done the side quest to get a mount yet. I get tired just watching my character run all over the gods green earth.

iammeiam

DRG/NIN/MCH is so hilarious it's borderline broken.

That's what I read. I'll hit Pugalist level 15 tomorrow and start Lancer this weekend. I'd like to get back to the main story quest soon. I haven't even joined a Grand Company or done the side quest to get a mount yet. I get tired just watching my character run all over the gods green earth.

You can get back to the main story now and just do Lancer bit by bit as you level/get bored. You can get away without Blood for Blood (the level 34 skill) for a while, but Invigorate you'll appreciate having sooner rather than later. Both are mandatory for endgame stuff, but you can progress through the story fine without them.

One thing is if you find yourself waiting in a long dungeon queue it's not a bad time to switch over and level another class while waiting for the dungeon to pop.

Caj814

Took long enough considering I was stuck on Atma FATEs RNG hell before I took a break.
9y9HLJnh.jpg

Should have it at Zeta by the weekend.

Top Bottom