• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Ken

I meant more about what does having a zeta get you in the new relic

Also do the maps give 5 Alex for sure or just up to five? And would giving my reliv garbage materia have any effect on the new one?

You get to skip a step in the new ones. They haven't said any specifics besides YoshiP saying he would want to skip the step too.

5 guaranteed. Materia shouldn't matter cause zeta isn't required to make an anima.

If I'm a Bard who will have Heavensward pretty soon and wants to be a Machinist and I'm at the point in the relic quest where it says to "obtain an amdapor glyph," should I finish the quest or has it been made obsolete in the last year of patches?

Ken

If I'm a Bard who will have Heavensward pretty soon and wants to be a Machinist and I'm at the point in the relic quest where it says to "obtain an amdapor glyph," should I finish the quest or has it been made obsolete in the last year of patches?

I wouldn't bother with it.

To expand, even if you ignore the grinding you still have to invest 400k to 1 million gil, a couple thousand poetics, and 80k company seals.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Is there something wrong with machinists? My Bard is the only class I got to 50.

I only recently started to play bard in a serious capacity but I already loathe machinist as I level it. It's similar but sufficiently different. Both have their upsides and downsides but MCH has annoying aspects to it that aren't pleasant to learn after BRD. You need to watch procs a lot closely than 2.0 BRD had, you need to drag the turret around, Wildfire mechanic is kinda clunky but carries the majority of your damage, it just doesn't flow as well, AOE in dungeons drains TP as if you were a melee... But it has better raid utility and higher mobility. But hey, maybe you'll find it more fun than I did, they share the same type of gear anyway so you'll be smart to try out both at the current level cap. I've seen different opinions on which class is actually stronger though.

iammeiam

it just doesn't flow as well

I think this is the first time I've seen somebody say the jankfest that is Minuet Bard flows better than MCH. I don't really know what to do with that.

(Both classes function, but going from Minuet to GB and procs was a revelatory moment of "Oh, that's how this is supposed to work.")

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I think this is the first time I've seen somebody say the jankfest that is Minuet Bard flows better than MCH. I don't really know what to do with that.

(Both classes function, but going from Minuet to GB and procs was a revelatory moment of "Oh, that's how this is supposed to work.")

I really don't have any issues with BRD besides Empyreal Arrow that's neither here nor there.

iammeiam

I really don't have any issues with BRD besides Empyreal Arrow that's neither here nor there.

EA is a major component of the issue, but the 'feel' of Bard in HW being off has been the popular complaint for a while. Going from ARR Bard to HW Bard, there are a lot of things that just don't fit smoothly and EA's weird cast time oGCD nature sort of highlighted that.

Both can be played and enjoyed effectively, but the common complaint with Minuet has always been that it never felt designed for Bard, and nothing hammered that home for me more than trying out MCH and having everything click together.

Valor

This narrative bothers me, because it ignores what shows up in most progression streams and what based on Yoshi P's actual A3S advice around 3.1 is really happening: The number of groups that can successfully execute A3S mechanics to see enrage but absolutely cannot meet the DPS requirement to clear is pretty much dwarfed by the number of groups that just cannot do the mechanics consistently enough to survive.
This isn't necessarily what I'm talking about, but it's pretty close to it. Yeah, mechanics. However, the dps check + the mechanics check makes the fight relatively unforgiving for a larger amount of people than those who were stonewalled by Final Coil, yes? It feels this way, anyway.

The mechanics are one thing and the amount of damage needed to be done is another. Even in A4S the DPS walls are rather high and strict for each of the legs. Unless they really did intend this raid tier to be only really doable by a scant percentage of the population, there's evidence to be shown that they grossly overestimated the amount of damage players were capable of especially when they say that healer DPS wasn't taken into account in Savage.

Please note that I'm not saying "dps check 2 high" or that the reason people can't clear a3s is because of dps, I'm just saying that it's rather clear that when you really sit down and look at what the team said about these encounters and how we play them that there's something that doesn't add up. It's not just mechanics that are an issue, but the idea that there are a lot more people not capable of putting up the numbers required than not.

I mean part of the reason my initial group has trouble with A1S was because of the damage required. We weren't hitting the numbers. We weren't close. Is that an encounter problem? Is that a player problem? I think it's both. However, our DPS spread was good enough for Final Coil but we were sorely (10+ percent enrage) off of the Savage DPS check.

Just because you can outgear DPS checks and stuff doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't a gate of entry for a lot more people. So when some point out the scant percent of raiders/people clearing it's because the Faust Entry Procedure is set too high for the commonfolk. Not saying it's good or bad, but saying that it also exists alongside the other problems that Alexander Savage brought with it. If we're talking about how the team probably doesn't test these fights properly, this is just more fuel to the fire. That's pretty much all I meant to imply.

Re: Bard

Also Heavensward Bard is more or less a metric to find out how comfortable you are about missing GCDs and the test of a good one is minimizing how many GCDs you lose over the course of a fight. A+ design.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
EA is a major component of the issue, but the 'feel' of Bard in HW being off has been the popular complaint for a while. Going from ARR Bard to HW Bard, there are a lot of things that just don't fit smoothly and EA's weird cast time oGCD nature sort of highlighted that.

Both can be played and enjoyed effectively, but the common complaint with Minuet has always been that it never felt designed for Bard, and nothing hammered that home for me more than trying out MCH and having everything click together.

Well, found the problem. I didn't play 2.x BRD.

scy

Having played more Bard recently on the alt, it's not that it doesn't work but there's pauses and clipping in places it doesn't feel like it should in order to naturally execute things. Their optimization being when to clip GCDs for the smallest loss as opposed to largest gains is a weird thing.

I will say that coming from a caster before makes most of it less of an issue (and some things feel better as a result) but it still has a lot of "wow I clip everything all the goddamn time why game" moments.

I mean part of the reason my initial group has trouble with A1S was because of the damage required. We weren't hitting the numbers. We weren't close. Is that an encounter problem? Is that a player problem? I think it's both. However, our DPS spread was good enough for Final Coil but we were sorely (10+ percent enrage) off of the Savage DPS check.

I'm going to take issue with this since comparing Final Coil to Alex Savage is a bit unfair. Rotations in general changed. People doing "good enough" in 2.X rotations doesn't translate directly to being "good enough" in 3.X rotations. There's no direct correlation here, having the DPS before doesn't mean that they'll adapt to the new stuff and be the same. A big part of early Savage problems will come down to that learning curve I think.

And going back to this:

It's not just mechanics that are an issue, but the idea that there are a lot more people not capable of putting up the numbers required than not.

I don't personally know any group on Ultros stuck on A3S Enrage over and over again. Granted, I don't know a lot of people but I think every other GAF group is stuck on the actually seeing the end of the fight, not even whether or not they can kill it. Those are two separate things.

In general, I do think there are a lot of people not capable of putting up the numbers required but that's another matter that's always been around. Just nothing to really help players improve short of themselves going about it. Maybe that Training Hall will eventually exist and matter but who knows on that.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
2.x bard was more fun. Fuck being a caster.

It's not even remotely like BLM, that 1 second window is a huge boon. Eh. I like it more than mashing Bloodletter.
Edit: It feels similar to healers, actually, because all single-target cure spells have lesser cast time than recast time.

iammeiam

Are we now in a world where the argument is A1S is tuned too high? Is that what this boils down to?

A lot of people struggled with the initial Faust check in no small part because prior to that nothing in the game really required you know how to do your job with the HW skills intact. People were running around pretending Bismarck EX was DPS intensive. A1S wasn't a come-to-Jesus moment for some people because it was overtuned compared to what they'd done inARR, it was because it was the turning point between playing your 3.x job like your 2.x job and actually having to do 3.0 things to produce 3.0 damage.

People adapted, and it's why you don't have near as many groups blowing up on A1S or A2S as A3S.

A3S isn't people hitting enrage every lockout for weeks. It's people dying before that point, looking at the boss HP %, saying "Well it'd have enraged anyway", and deciding the key is to focus on maxing out DPS.

This is separate from 4, which is pretty overtuned, but then being overtuned is like the only thing 4 has going for it. 3 is a mechanics fight, 4 is a damage race. My concern is that people's struggling with 3 means we're more likely to get more fights like a slightly-tuned-down 4, where overgearing can eventually give you a free pass on mechanics, than like 3 where your primary challenge is doing the fight cleanly.

All this anti Bard talk and my own feelings like I'm not playing it perfectly make me think of switching classes, but I only have a few others that are average around 15 and I wonder how long it would take to get to 50.

I guess once I get Heavensward I should at least give Machinist a shot? I have to say, I am surprised they took away the aoe attacks occasionally removing the cool downs of the other aoes.

iammeiam

All this anti Bard talk and my own feelings like I'm not playing it perfectly make me think of switching classes, but I only have a few others that are average around 15 and I wonder how long it would take to get to 50.

I guess once I get Heavensward I should at least give Machinist a shot? I have to say, I am surprised they took away the aoe attacks occasionally removing the cool downs of the other aoes.

Getting to 50 on a second class is pretty easy.

I'd say try MCH out just because why not? Also turrets <3

And the AOE change for Bard is actually a good one--you no longer get the Quick Knock -> RoD -> WV proc chain, but instead you can use Rain of Death for free whenever Bloodletter is up (River of Blood resets the CDs on both, both are oGCD and 0 TP now.) So instead of spamming AOE to get a proc, you do the normal DoT things up to get procs, and hit RoD instead of Bloodletter now

Getting to 50 on a second class is pretty easy.

I'd say try MCH out just because why not? Also turrets <3

And the AOE change for Bard is actually a good one--you no longer get the Quick Knock -> RoD -> WV proc chain, but instead you can use Rain of Death for free whenever Bloodletter is up (River of Blood resets the CDs on both, both are oGCD and 0 TP now.) So instead of spamming AOE to get a proc, you do the normal DoT things up to get procs, and hit RoD instead of Bloodletter now

Ah interesting! It's hard to see how everything affects everything when you missed the patch notes. I was wondering what exactly was the point behind the connection to bloodletter and rain of death! Thanks for the info, I'll definitely stick with it for a bet and try MCH (I love turrets in games, part of what made Demon Hunter awesome in Diablo 3: turrets + archer).

Last question for awhile: is the iLVL progression so I can get high enough to do story based dungeons still do a duty roulette per day to get soldiery and then take it to Mor Dhona?

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
So I was premature in saying Fates were the biggest annoyance. I now need to get 2,000 seals in order to purchase a Chocobo Issuance. I've used up all my allowances so company levequests are out. So the only way to get 2,000 seals right now is to run around and do Fates. Does anyone know of a faster way to get seals given my situation?

iammeiam

FATES. GC Hunting Log if you haven't done it yet rewards seals, too, and I think your daily roulette will give you some. But 2,000 seals isn't really much at all and goes pretty quick.

Last question for awhile: is the iLVL progression so I can get high enough to do story based dungeons still do a duty roulette per day to get soldiery and then take it to Mor Dhona?

This kind of depends on where you are in the main story and what your current iLevel is. Nothing required for story at level 50 is going to require an iLevel higher than 90, and you can actually get i110 gear from some of the quests in the later patches (all the old soldiery gear, upgraded, is now quest rewards.) The actual current roulette reward grind at 50 is poetics tomes, which you can use to buy poetics gear at the same old place in Mor Dhona. Those will last you a few levels into Heavensward, too. At 60 it's law and then esoterics tomes, and you go to Idyllshire.

Once you get to Heavensward content you can just buy vendor i115 gear for gil to gear up other classes at 50.

It's not even remotely like BLM, that 1 second window is a huge boon. Eh. I like it more than mashing Bloodletter.
Edit: It feels similar to healers, actually, because all single-target cure spells have lesser cast time than recast time.

xBee3F5.gif

ebil

I haven't seen many healers here playing on EU servers but I'll try regardless. Our WHM is quitting raiding because it's getting in the way of having drinks with his friends, so my group is looking for a WHM or SCH. We're on Ragnarok (EU Data Center). We play on Mondays, Wednesdays and Sundays 8-11 Server Time. We got French, Turkish and Italian people but communicate in English (if you can call that English). We're currently on A4s. PM me if interested or if you need more info!

Squishy3

So I was premature in saying Fates were the biggest annoyance. I now need to get 2,000 seals in order to purchase a Chocobo Issuance. I've used up all my allowances so company levequests are out. So the only way to get 2,000 seals right now is to run around and do Fates. Does anyone know of a faster way to get seals given my situation?
Grand Company Hunting Log. Click on your GC symbol after pressing H.

This isn't necessarily what I'm talking about, but it's pretty close to it. Yeah, mechanics. However, the dps check + the mechanics check makes the fight relatively unforgiving for a larger amount of people than those who were stonewalled by Final Coil, yes? It feels this way, anyway.

The mechanics are one thing and the amount of damage needed to be done is another. Even in A4S the DPS walls are rather high and strict for each of the legs. Unless they really did intend this raid tier to be only really doable by a scant percentage of the population, there's evidence to be shown that they grossly overestimated the amount of damage players were capable of especially when they say that healer DPS wasn't taken into account in Savage.

Please note that I'm not saying "dps check 2 high" or that the reason people can't clear a3s is because of dps, I'm just saying that it's rather clear that when you really sit down and look at what the team said about these encounters and how we play them that there's something that doesn't add up. It's not just mechanics that are an issue, but the idea that there are a lot more people not capable of putting up the numbers required than not.

Just because you can outgear DPS checks and stuff doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't a gate of entry for a lot more people. So when some point out the scant percent of raiders/people clearing it's because the Faust Entry Procedure is set too high for the commonfolk. Not saying it's good or bad, but saying that it also exists alongside the other problems that Alexander Savage brought with it. If we're talking about how the team probably doesn't test these fights properly, this is just more fuel to the fire. That's pretty much all I meant to imply.

Re: Bard

Also Heavensward Bard is more or less a metric to find out how comfortable you are about missing GCDs and the test of a good one is minimizing how many GCDs you lose over the course of a fight. A+ design.

You're acting like the FFXIV team or Yoshi in particular haven't said things which were blatant lies in the past.

Anybody remember when Yoshi claimed that personal housing would be available to everyone and also much cheaper than FC housing? Yeah. The team and Yoshi are both full of shit, there's almost nothing they say which I believe these days. It's pretty obvious the goal of A3S/A4S were basically to make sure Lucrezia and Elysium couldn't clear the raid tier in 3 days. They were so obsessed with this goal that they were willing to basically destroy their subscriber base and kill their own game to achieve it. Well congratulations Captain Ahab, you achieved your goal, Lucrezia and Elysium didn't clear A4S for weeks and they needed a mechanics exploit to manage it. And your game is stone cold ded.

xxczx

unknown soldier idk why you post in this thread when all your posts are complaining about anything and everything the dev team do.

also: pew pew pew
9a3d199744befad609119f21c3698fde.gif

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
unknown soldier idk why you post in this thread when all your posts are complaining about anything and everything the dev team do.
Complaining about the game is what this thread is for. And probably because, like many people, they're unhappy with the state of the game.

aceface

I will say, never having set foot in A3S that bad DPS and messing up mechanics often go hand In hand. Faster DPS means the battle goes faster, a lot of times it means faster phase pushes and in general less chance to mess mechanics up. So in something like A3S lowering the HP to allow faster pushes and overgearing becomes a soft mechanics nerf. It's been like that in battles In the past, but as I said I've never seen it so A3S may not be that type of fight.

I do want to say though that I see this:

A3S isn't people hitting enrage every lockout for weeks. It's people dying before that point, looking at the boss HP %, saying "Well it'd have enraged anyway", and deciding the key is to focus on maxing out DPS.

Way too often which leads to dps tunneling and further mechanic screw ups.

Squishy3

At level 55 right now. Still going through Heavensward story. At what point will I hate the game?
When you finish all the currently available content. If you're new and have never done Coil, you can at least experience that for the first time.

And then hate Alexander. I hope they step it up for A2.

rubius01

I will say, never having set foot in A3S that bad DPS and messing up mechanics often go hand In hand. Faster DPS means the battle goes faster, a lot of times it means faster phase pushes and in general less chance to mess mechanics up. So in something like A3S lowering the HP to allow faster pushes and overgearing becomes a soft mechanics nerf. It's been like that in battles In the past, but as I said I've never seen it so A3S may not be that type of fight.

I do want to say though that I see this:

Way too often which leads to dps tunneling and further mechanic screw ups.

"Be ready to turn around"

iammeiam

This is like exactly the thing with A3S--it's all timed, not hp based. Exact same rotation, the only thing more DPS does is allow you to finish the whole fight faster. The final phase rotation repeats a few minutes in, so even with max DPS you're still seeing everything in the fight at least once, most likely a lot of final phase twice.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Okay I'm getting a little frustrated. I got my company issued chocobo. But I can't summon it. I'm right outside of New Gridania and it say cannot execute at this time. What am I missing?

Edit: nevermind. I looked it up and I have to blow the whistle first. Found the whistle buried in my inventory.

I'm starting to think MMOs aren't for me. I knew there would be work. But some of it feels very tedious.

dramatis

Okay I'm getting a little frustrated. I got my company issued chocobo. But I can't summon it. I'm right outside of New Gridania and it say cannot execute at this time. What am I missing?

Edit: nevermind. I looked it up and I have to blow the whistle first. Found the whistle buried in my inventory.

I'm starting to think MMOs aren't for me. I knew there would be work. But some of it feels very tedious.
If you're having trouble, don't hesitate to ask in the in-game fc chat.

BadRNG

It will get worse. Tedium is the MMO bread and butter. Ideally you find a good enough group of people you like playing with that ends up making the tedium worth it, until you reach the tipping point and drop the game. Such is the MMO life cycle.

Good news is, at least in this game's case, a lot of the good stuff is in the middle rather than the beginning so it will get better as more things open up
before it gets worse when you enter the "been there, done that" stage
. It can be a bit of a slog until then, especially combat wise depending on what you are playing as, they did not really balance skill acquisition well so some classes are very boring until closer to cap and important skills/mechanics are introduced.

Ha, not even a Temp Ban could keep me away from the OT forever! :D
Context?

Sandfox

I can't decide whether I should do the new relic for Dragoon or wait until I finish leveling Machinist since I may move over to that.

Nohar

Frankly, regarding the Bard, we don't have many options:
  • Keep playing a job we possibly no longer like.
  • Find another job to play.
I decided to stop playing Bard and just level up SMN ("they want me to play a caster? I'LL PLAY A GODDAMN CASTER!" - I ragequit BRD to be honest). Turns out it was a smart choice, since I discovered that I really love playing the Heavensward SMN.
The only downside was that I still had to level up Bard to level 60, because my main retainer was one. Once I did that, I just unequiped my whole BRD stuff and gave it to my retainer.

It is important to have fun while playing a job. I'm still a little sour about the Bard, but it gave me the opportunity to discover other jobs that I really enjoy playing. Also, now that we have EU servers, I can finally play Ninja without messing up Ninjitsu because of the lag (really, this is a game changer), so I think I'll give that job a try (I stopped at level 50 and never really played it, since I couldn't play it optimally).

So, I was wondering: what are your favorite Heavensward jobs? I'm hearing that the Warrior is becoming a very interesting Tank job (I used to play PLD in 2.0... and, frankly, I found the job to be boring to play). I decided to forgo SCH, since it is a little difficult to master (and, well, I main SMN now), so I'm interested by WHM and AST (but, sadly, it seems that AST isn't quite tuned yet from what I've read - best looking LB3 though).

BLCKATK

Frankly, regarding the Bard, we don't have many options:
  • Keep playing a job we possibly no longer like.
  • Find another job to play.
I decided to stop playing Bard and just level up SMN ("they want me to play a caster? I'LL PLAY A GODDAMN CASTER!" - I ragequit BRD to be honest). Turns out it was a smart choice, since I discovered that I really love playing the Heavensward SMN.
The only downside was that I still had to level up Bard to level 60, because my main retainer was one. Once I did that, I just unequiped my whole BRD stuff and gave it to my retainer.

It is important to have fun while playing a job. I'm still a little sour about the Bard, but it gave me the opportunity to discover other jobs that I really enjoy playing. Also, now that we have EU servers, I can finally play Ninja without messing up Ninjitsu because of the lag (really, this is a game changer), so I think I'll give that job a try (I stopped at level 50 and never really played it, since I couldn't play it optimally).

So, I was wondering: what are your favorite Heavensward jobs? I'm hearing that the Warrior is becoming a very interesting Tank job (I used to play PLD in 2.0... and, frankly, I found the job to be boring to play). I decided to forgo SCH, since it is a little difficult to master (and, well, I main SMN now), so I'm interested by WHM and AST (but, sadly, it seems that AST isn't quite tuned yet from what I've read - best looking LB3 though).

I really love the abilities they added to Warrior, it's even more fun to play then it was before. Its super satisfying managing stacks and swapping between dealing damage and tanking more effectively. Alas, I don't really want to OT this cycle and it seems that is where a lot of statics want the warrior. So I main Paladin now. I found it boring in 2.0 but the new abilities fleshed out the problems I had with the job, and added cool utility abilites. Divine veil and clemency need a little tuning but they can be cool, useful abilties at times. Sheltron is a really fun active cool down and it's exactly what PLD needed, something a little more active.

In terms of DPS, I love Summoner. The new abilties fit extremely well with the previous toolkit. Trance is rewarding to use and feels powerful. I think SE did a great job here.

Top Bottom