• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Happy Birthday and awesome as always, Cooter!!! I hope you devour whatever tasty cheat foods on this glorious day.

Oh and be careful, but there's a kid behind you. Don't make any sudden moves.

That kid is everywhere! He's an animal!

You hit the nail on the head Szu! 16oz Ribeye, baked sweet potato, cesar salad for dinner and my moms' homemade cheesecake and Haggan Daz Caramel Cone for dessert! Can't wait!

velociraptor

Does one get catabolic by not eating for 5 hours? I worked out about 5 hours ago, and immediately finished with 2.5 scoops of whey and a cup of oatmeal in 500ml milk.

Getting paranoid here. Help me break this paranoia Fitness GAF D:

TheJerit

Yeah people find it counterintuitive that absolute beginners can progress the fastest. I guess if other skills had numbers attached to them people might notice that everything works that way.

Like, a master musician might need to practice obsessively for ages to see the tiniest improvement on his technique cause its already so good, but a kid who plays guitar for the first time can learn a brand new technique every week for a while. Its just that people don't realize the speed of progress there cause a kid who's been playing guitar for a few months still sounds like crap, while a new lifter on a few months of ss moves weight that can be pants-shitting to an untrained person.

Yup, and I think the biggest hangup is for those of us that had prior training experience. Being away for long enough and you're basically a newbie again, in a sense.

abuC

In the last two hours I've eaten 3 bagels, a big salad and 3 slices of pizza (guy gave me one free) and I am still hungry. This is glorious my stomach is like a furnace burning at the temperature of the sun, refeed days are the stuff of the gods.

Total calories since starting the refeed is 4500.

In the last two hours I've eaten 3 bagels, a big salad and 3 slices of pizza (guy gave me one free) and I am still hungry. This is glorious my stomach is like a furnace burning at the temperature of the sun, refeed days are the stuff of the gods.

Total calories since starting the refeed is 4500.

I love it. Be like Frank Yang. Hit 8k calories.

Szu

41 next Thursday! Any other old folks around all these young'uns

I'll be joining all you old farts in your 40's come Nov.

But that's ok, since I read somewhere that 40 is the new 20.

By that same logic, it would also mean that Cooter, sphinx, Noema, and Chittagong are still teenagers.

Darth, Falling, and Sean haven't hit puberty yet.

Plus, Squiddy and rando14 can barely walk.

I'll be joining all you old farts in your 40's come Nov.

But that's ok, since I read somewhere that 40 is the new 20.

By that same logic, it would also mean that Cooter, sphinx, Noema, and Chittagong are still teenagers.

Darth, Falling, and Sean haven't hit puberty yet.

Plus, Squiddy and rando14 can barely walk.

At least I can use this logic to explain my dick size.

Relationship saved.

abuC

I love it. Be like Frank Yang. Hit 8k calories.

I think I'll be right around 7000 by the end of the day, when you do your cut make sure it's UD 2.0. It might be difficult but I already see differences in my shoulders in terms of striations and vascularity.

Today's lifts and keto progress:

Calories 2,574
Carbs 38
Fat 194
Protein 156
Scale measured 192, down 8 in 7 days!

Squat 300x3x5
Bench 175x3x5
Pullups 3x15
GUNZ!

Excited to be losing weight and maintain my lifts

despire

Does one get catabolic by not eating for 5 hours? I worked out about 5 hours ago, and immediately finished with 2.5 scoops of whey and a cup of oatmeal in 500ml milk.

Getting paranoid here. Help me break this paranoia Fitness GAF D:

Two words: intermittent fasting

No

Exis

Holy crap Cooter great work!.. you started thin right?

...I'm off to the gym, It;s Deadlift & Overhead Press day!

I think I'll be right around 7000 by the end of the day, when you do your cut make sure it's UD 2.0. It might be difficult but I already see differences in my shoulders in terms of striations and vascularity.

I will definitely do it. I will most likely be around 255/260 lbs @ 20%bf when it is all said and done. Be ready for cut in April 2014.

Cooter

Holy crap Cooter great work!.. you started thin right?

...I'm off to the gym, It;s Deadlift & Overhead Press day!
I wouldn't say I was ever thin. I got pretty thin at one point. I think my lowest was 159 pounds. I was about 170 in high school. Never had abs until my 30s when I started really trying.

sphinx

the piano man
Thanks brotha! Only crappy thing about my 30's so far is the relentless attack of my grey hairs!

grey hairs?? ppff... you are fitgaf's Brad Pitt, the guy everybody wants to be, hehe.

I'd say, mid 30's is the best time to be a fit man, all those who are now under 30 and working on their bodies, they will look spectacular in a couple of years.

Congrats on your birthday, Cooter :-D , I think the bear suits you, it adds personality.

velociraptor

This is what 34 looks like biatches!!! Happy birthday to me!

3031834a-445e-44dd-ba01-ef9c410a521e.jpg

Age aint nuttin but a number!!
Happy birthday Cooter.

You're an inspiration to me. I hope to look near as good as you when I reach your age.

I wouldn't say I was ever thin. I got pretty thin at one point. I think my lowest was 159 pounds. I was about 170 in high school. Never had abs until my 30s when I started really trying.

Man, that is impressive.
I now got a goal for the age 34 - to look as ripped as Cooter.

Just 9 more years to get there!

Petrie

Banned
This is what 34 looks like biatches!!! Happy birthday to me!

3031834a-445e-44dd-ba01-ef9c410a521e.jpg

Age aint nuttin but a number!!

This is why I am bulking hardcore for a good long while starting this coming week.

How heavy did you get when you were bulking in those pics from before? Help me feel better about it!

Imm0rt4l

Was 190 a few weeks ago, currently 200 and Im not even officially bulking yet.

#thisisntevenmyfinalform

I'll probably bulk after the Olympia...for reasons.

Cooter

This is why I am bulking hardcore for a good long while starting this coming week.

How heavy did you get when you were bulking in those pics from before? Help me feel better about it!
Two hundred and ten pounds my friend! It's a mental chess match you play with yourself. I finally decided to cut after 6 months of bulking when I noticed dimples on my obliques. I remember that day. I was by myself and I said out loud, "fuck this, I'm done."

sphinx

the piano man
Stop tempting me, I'm almost at my desired BF% - then I'll do a careful lean bulk :p

I am wonder if that's possible.

you can carefully plan your meals trough the day or just eat a fucking pizza with a ton of everything. done,there's a shitton of almost all macros in one meal.

but that's hardly a clean bulk :p

Was 190 a few weeks ago, currently 200 and Im not even officially bulking yet.

#thisisntevenmyfinalform

I'll probably bulk after the Olympia...for reasons.

nice!

Two hundred and ten pounds my friend! It's a mental chess match you play with yourself. I finally decided to cut after 6 months of bulking when I noticed dimples on my obliques. I remember that day. I was by myself and I said out loud, "fuck this, I'm done."

lol.

The quest to 255 lbs began this week. I'm sure there will be plenty of "fuck this" moments. If I can end up at 20%, I will be more than happy.

Stop tempting me, I'm almost at my desired BF% - then I'll do a careful lean bulk :p

do it!

Nelo Ice

Banned
So had a guy spot me for bench and ended up doing deadlifts since he was on a similar routine that day. Seemed like he knew what he was doing and knew SS was a good program so I got some pointers on my deadlift form. Now my form wasn't great to begin with but he basically had me in ATG squat position before even lifting the bar. Did not feel right at all. So with that form apparently I can't deadlift 95 lbs.

Was gonna just tweak my form after watching Rip and realizing I didn't have my feet close enough at the midfoot like I thought I was and I need to bring my chest up without moving the bar. Next Monday definitely gonna try doing that and following what Rip says since I've never heard of or seen someone being in straight up ATG squat position before doing a deadlift.

Gruco

Banned
Got unsolicited complements on looking bigger/stronger from two different girls today.

Also hit 200 on the Squat for the first time.

Also starting strength is awesome.

Chocobro

Whenever I have any type of cold, I don't just think about my performance, but I also take into account that I'm also contagious.

never go to the gym if you might be contagious. do stuff at home if you're up to it.
I spared the others the horrors of getting sick and took a long nap.

Another entertaining video from BroScience, watched it earlier haha. The ending was great. It reminds me of something I saw on Monday at the gym. There were two guys working out together. One of them used a smith machine for inclined BPs while his partner is just standing there doing nothing. No clue why he used a smith machine when he had someone that can spot him [shrugs].

And happy birthday Cooter! Looking fantastic! Hope I can get there in a few years.

Cooter

Thank you for ALL the nice words you guys! Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside!

This place is a huge part of what drives me. We're in this together! :)

I did what Petrie did and set my basic calorie/macro guidelines at my TDEE excluding the work-out I do (which ends up at 1.75k or so), and then I just input my exercise as I do it and have extra calories to look forward to on my work-out days.

The diet is a bit simple, but not too bad. Oatmeal with whey, peanuts, kidney beans, brussel sprouts, whey shake, whey+cottage cheese "ice cream".

GatorBait

Fit-GAF, I have a confession to make... After testing out a paleo/primal diet for around 6 or so months, I'm back to seeing the light and truth of IIFYM. I'm ready for my penance now.

Exis

I broke 5x225 on Deadlift today! I did screw up my calories today by eating an entire roasted chicken in one sitting, but hey at least they are clean calories.

Petrie

Banned
I did what Petrie did and set my basic calorie/macro guidelines at my TDEE excluding the work-out I do (which ends up at 1.75k or so), and then I just input my exercise as I do it and have extra calories to look forward to on my work-out days.

The diet is a bit simple, but not too bad. Oatmeal with whey, peanuts, kidney beans, brussel sprouts, whey shake, whey+cottage cheese "ice cream".

I love that method. Keeps me honest. I know I have to earn it if I want to eat more, especially on a cut.

I'm switching to maintenance this week which is 2200 a day, and then a bulk after that. May do a +20% workout days -10% off days version, can't really decide.

What do you guys think? I've gotten to 215lbs before and cut down, so I have no concerns about ability to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom