• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Far off topic but unfortunately my 11 year marriage to woman I met when when I was 16 appears to be coming to an end. I have 3 kids at the critical ages of 10, 8, and 3. This is my choice. Absolutely sickening situation. There are a few things that I do well in life but only one that I was born to do and that is be a father. These kids are my life guys. It's very hard. I have to put faith in the belief that being married to someone you know longer LOVE ultimately shouldn't continue. I care about my wife tremendously and do love her. I do, but too many hurtful things have been said and repeated over the years that she ultimately broke me and I stopped caring. I stopped forgiving. I wasn't forgetting. I'm not in love with her anymore. It breaks my heart but it's true.

Anyway, she's a wreck and life is miserable at the moment. Don't expect me to be around much for a while. I'll pop in every now and then though. :)

I'm sorry to hear dood. I hope things work out and if you need anyone to talk to, I'm more than willing to listen.

Take care, Cooter.

J. Bravo

Far off topic but unfortunately my 11 year marriage to woman I met when when I was 16 appears to be coming to an end. I have 3 kids at the critical ages of 10, 8, and 3. This is my choice. Absolutely sickening situation. There are a few things that I do well in life but only one that I was born to do and that is be a father. These kids are my life guys. It's very hard. I have to put faith in the belief that being married to someone you know longer LOVE ultimately shouldn't continue. I care about my wife tremendously and do love her. I do, but too many hurtful things have been said and repeated over the years that she ultimately broke me and I stopped caring. I stopped forgiving. I wasn't forgetting. I'm not in love with her anymore. It breaks my heart but it's true.

Anyway, she's a wreck and life is miserable at the moment. Don't expect me to be around much for a while. I'll pop in every now and then though. :)

Man that sucks. Try and make the separation as amicable as possible so that both you and your wife can be in your childrens' lives moving forward. Good luck with everything, and make sure to keep working out whenever possible. You'll need the release.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
The more you work out, the slower you'll gain muscle mass - that's just biology.

You might be on too great of a calorific surplus if you're gaining more fat than protein, so it might be a good idea to decrease your calorific intake unless you have no issues with a bulk-cut cycle (some people are alright with that, some aren't).

Here's a pretty good t-nation article on bulking that might help you out:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_truth_about_bulking

Thanks a ton, yeah I've definitely gained a good amount of fat, I just hate countin the calories. Is it possible that if I still eat a surplus that I'll cut back down a bit, while not losing my gains?

edit-
Are you doing incline only?

At the moment yeah, because I was getting a click in my shoulder when I did flat, felt way better doing incline. Went to flat recently and it seems all better now so I assume it was some sort of imbalance. Either way how should I work in the flat bench again? for my standard SS, mondays and fridays have the incline, wednesdays is my shoulder press.

despire

That's terrible, hope everything works out for the best.

As for my two cents, just keep the process civilized and your kids will be alright. My parents broke up when I was 7 (my sister maybe 5) and we turned out ok, because they kept it civil and didn't fight in front of us or anything. My GF's parents didn't manage to keep it as civilized, talked shit about each other to the kids, and I think it still affects both my GF and her sister.

SeanR1221

That's terrible, hope everything works out for the best.

As for my two cents, just keep the process civilized and your kids will be alright. My parents broke up when I was 7 (my sister maybe 5) and we turned out ok, because they kept it civil and didn't fight in front of us or anything. My GF's parents didn't manage to keep it as civilized, talked shit about each other to the kids, and I think it still affects both my GF and her sister.

Definitely this. My wife's parents had an extremely messy divorce when she was young and it still bothers her.

Cooter, it's really sad to hear but it sounds like your mind is made up and this is what you think is best. You know we're all here for you

Visceir

At the moment yeah, because I was getting a click in my shoulder when I did flat, felt way better doing incline. Went to flat recently and it seems all better now so I assume it was some sort of imbalance. Either way how should I work in the flat bench again? for my standard SS, mondays and fridays have the incline, wednesdays is my shoulder press.

This is still in progress as I just recently switched, so I can't tell you how well it will work, but I just did a 10% deload and switched to flat bench. It's a tiny bit easier to do flat bench than incline and with the deload and extra time I should be able to push through the weight where I got stuck at the last time. I'm gonna tackle that weight tomorrow so I'll see how that goes.

I didn't want to ditch incline entirely so I'm doing incline bench right after, dumbbells, lower weight, higher rep range 8 - 12.

Adding some accessory work for triceps might help too.

Best of luck man. I'm sure you've got a ton on your plate in the coming months, but don't forsake the gym entirely, it'll probably be beneficial for you to pump some iron to clear your head from time-to-time.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
A friend suggested I wait a month or two before trying presses or clean and jerks. Sensible?
Press: you can wait, or not. Strict press is honestly a functional and natural movement (what they here call overhead press). It's a movement like dead lift and such where you can read up on form and technique, watch some videos and get the hang of it.

Clean: 3 years ago I tried to teach myself to clean and snatch. I failed. A trainer caught me "doing" them in the gym and screamed at me, asked me why I was so intent on hurting myself, and taught how to do them. (Ironically not a crossfit or oly gym). I personally do not know anyone who has successfully taught themselves oly lifts from reading or watching videos. They are complicated, there's like a million cues, and especially with bad form there are plenty of ways to get hurt (ironically with good form it's actually tough to get hurt oly lifting). If anything I would seek out a good personal trainer even for just one or two sessions, preferably an oly or barbell coach. Ideally before doing that you already have perfect form on dead lift and front squat. It also helps if you work to do all non-max back squats with a high bar position (base of your neck) instead of lower (typically when going heavy squats most will have the bar below their shoulder line). I think cleaning is incredible, but it's also taken me three years to get the last kinks out of my form (last one was early pull on my arms which took about 4-6 months to get rid of for good)

Jerk is also more complicated than it looks, but not as dangerous. The only thing I'll say is that most beginners actually do like a double dip push press more than a jerk. On a jerk your arms should be nearly locked out before you receive the bar. Most of the bar momentum should come from the dip and push. The rest is actually pushing yourself under the bar before you catch it.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Well, I didn't get stabbed in the neck last night, but I did stop a massive fight. Me 1 Inmates 0.

Finally off of midnights too, can't wait to get to a "normal" training schedule again.

Hope shit goes the way you want it to bud, and if all else fails, muscle up through it. ;)

Brolic has the perfect job considering how beastly he is, or at least I imagine it helps being swole when you work with criminals.

Or maybe not.

@Cooter: Sad to hear, but it seems like the best way forward, so good luck with things.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Wendler finally making himself available for free.

I wonder if the DDOS attacks on his forum made this happen.

http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/jim-wendler-531?pageNo=1&s=readTopic

Brolic has the perfect job considering how beastly he is, or at least I imagine it helps being swole when you work with criminals.

Or maybe not.

@Cooter: Sad to hear, but it seems like the best way forward, so good luck with things.

Definitely helps, their demeanor around me compared to the other "less swole" staff is noticeable.

That said, my attitude probably helps too.

despire

So my GF has been coming with me to the gym for months now, doing 5/3/1, but she still can't perform a back squat with good form. Her main problem is that her upper torso sinks at the bottom and her back rounds. We've been trying to fix it but we are pretty much at our wits end. She knows how to do it in theory but for some reason she can't perform it in real life. And I can't coach her any better. I've told her every cue etc. I know. She is extremely frustrated with the whole exercise because she can't perform it with confidence and she's still stuck with low weights.

I think we are going for one more deload to try to get the form right but if it doesn't work, I'm not sure what will. If it comes to that, is there any alternative exercises we could use? Preferably free weight of course. I'm mainly worried in the health of her back if she keeps on pushing with back squats. I guess goblet squats could be one substitute but I don't think she has the strength to hold a heavy enough dumbbell long enough. As a last resort, would it be an entirely ridiculous idea to use Leg Press/Hack Squat machine and then do some free weight "isolation" for the butt with for example Hip Thrusts?

Cudder

So my GF has been coming with me to the gym for months now, doing 5/3/1, but she still can't perform a back squat with good form. Her main problem is that her upper torso sinks at the bottom and her back rounds. We've been trying to fix it but we are pretty much at our wits end. She knows how to do it in theory but for some reason she can't perform it in real life. And I can't coach her any better. I've told her every cue etc. I know. She is extremely frustrated with the whole exercise because she can't perform it with confidence and she's still stuck with low weights.

I think we are going for one more deload to try to get the form right but if it doesn't work, I'm not sure what will. If it comes to that, is there any alternative exercises we could use? Preferably free weight of course. I'm mainly worried in the health of her back if she keeps on pushing with back squats. I guess goblet squats could be one substitute but I don't think she has the strength to hold a heavy enough dumbbell long enough. As a last resort, would it be an entirely ridiculous idea to use Leg Press/Hack Squat machine and then do some free weight "isolation" for the butt with for example Hip Thrusts?

How much weight is she squatting now? She shouldn't have moved the weight up if her form is as off as you're saying. Get back to just the bar and see if it helps. If not, there are loads of stretches she can try to help her flexibility.

despire

How much weight is she squatting now? She shouldn't have moved the weight up if her form is as off as you're saying. Get back to just the bar and see if it helps. If not, there are loads of stretches she can try to help her flexibility.

Last time it was around 80lbs x 5. The problem persists even with just the bar. She's been stretching with some stuff from MobilityWOD but it hasn't really helped.

Is she doing low or high-bar squats?

I used to have that issue when I first started out with the low-bar squats, as I was leaning a bit too much forward.

So my GF has been coming with me to the gym for months now, doing 5/3/1, but she still can't perform a back squat with good form.

Maybe her core is still too weak for the squats. Does she do any abdominal or lower back exercises? You could also add kettlebell swings which will definitely help strengthening her core. Box squats can also be a good way to introcude someone to squatting.

despire

Maybe her core is still too weak for the squats. Does she do any abdominal or lower back exercises? You could also add kettlebell swings which will definitely help strengthening her core. Box squats can also be a good way to introcude someone to squatting.

She's mainly been doing hanging leg raises. I also believe that her core might be a weak part. Also thanks for reminding about the box squats, we need to try them again. I need to have her try the kettlebell swings as well (how would I program these in).

Press: you can wait, or not. Strict press is honestly a functional and natural movement (what they here call overhead press). It's a movement like dead lift and such where you can read up on form and technique, watch some videos and get the hang of it.

Clean: 3 years ago I tried to teach myself to clean and snatch. I failed. A trainer caught me "doing" them in the gym and screamed at me, asked me why I was so intent on hurting myself, and taught how to do them. (Ironically not a crossfit or oly gym). I personally do not know anyone who has successfully taught themselves oly lifts from reading or watching videos. They are complicated, there's like a million cues, and especially with bad form there are plenty of ways to get hurt (ironically with good form it's actually tough to get hurt oly lifting). If anything I would seek out a good personal trainer even for just one or two sessions, preferably an oly or barbell coach. Ideally before doing that you already have perfect form on dead lift and front squat. It also helps if you work to do all non-max back squats with a high bar position (base of your neck) instead of lower (typically when going heavy squats most will have the bar below their shoulder line). I think cleaning is incredible, but it's also taken me three years to get the last kinks out of my form (last one was early pull on my arms which took about 4-6 months to get rid of for good)

Jerk is also more complicated than it looks, but not as dangerous. The only thing I'll say is that most beginners actually do like a double dip push press more than a jerk. On a jerk your arms should be nearly locked out before you receive the bar. Most of the bar momentum should come from the dip and push. The rest is actually pushing yourself under the bar before you catch it.

Thanks a lot for the input. I think I am indeed going to wait for a couple months and then think of doing a session with a trainer to make sure my form is correct while learning.

Much appreciated, cheers.

sorry to hear. keep your head up, man. i hope your kids are coping as best as they can too.

APF

I think we are going for one more deload to try to get the form right but if it doesn't work, I'm not sure what will.

5/3/1 might not be the right program for her at this point, vs something where she's squatting every day for example. The best accessory work for form is practice.

If it helps, I know a guy in a similar situation as you - two young sons at critical ages (12 and 4) and he's doing a fine job as a single dad (sole custody). He is also a former marine and is even more jacked than you although he's like 6'2" or something. You CAN have it all!

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Thank you for everything guys. It will be civil and we both have the kids best interest in mind. There is no way I will neglect the gym either BTW. No chance in hell!!

velociraptor

Sorry to hear that man. I hope things get better soon.

keep your chin up bro

Petrie

Banned
Thank you for everything guys. It will be civil and we both have the kids best interest in mind. There is no way I will neglect the gym either BTW. No chance in hell!!

We love you bro. Keep your chin up man. I'm sorry you're going through this.

<3 Cooter

And I know that this isn't as impressive since everyone is deadlifting 500 and 600 lbs but I was able to DL 5 reps @ 425 lbs today. Feels amazing because my 5RM was 385 in June/July.

500 lbs deadlift next month. Count it.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Got a (I think?) decent power rack and a shitty 300 lb olympic weight set. Back to barbell work! I think I'm gonna stick to rack pulls instead of deads until I can get some proper mats, or maybe just stick with rack pulls I dunno.

Time to go to power heaven.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom

Oh wow good luck with that dude.

I'm engaged and sometimes have to wonder to yourself if you can/will remain with the person even if you do love them...people change over time, shit gets said and shit does or doesn't happen with certain situations. I keep my emotions/feelings bottled in and eventually I blow up.and shit just gets nasty.

Got a (I think?) decent power rack and a shitty 300 lb olympic weight set. Back to barbell work! I think I'm gonna stick to rack pulls instead of deads until I can get some proper mats, or maybe just stick with rack pulls I dunno.

Time to go to power heaven.

Rack pulls are great, I typically do them mid-shin with 240kg for a few reps/sets

I don't do regular heavy DLs anymore with my lower back being fucked and pain coming off the floor on pulls. Back still gets hit good with rows pullups and different DL variations.

abuC

Had to help my grandfather last night, kind of put me in a funk to see him so broken down. He's in his late 80s, lots of atrophy and he fell down trying to get out of a chair and simply didn't have the strength to get back up. I had to pick him up and help him get in bed, really sad situation. Supposed to go to the gym, but I'll probably go see him and hang out with him. He's lost a lot of weight since the last time I saw him.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
No chance in hell!!

Ib3ur1a.gif

J. Bravo

If you barely get any sleep on a night, is it better to rest or shall I workout?

Eh just go work out. As long as you hit your reps you will be fine. Just make sure to get plenty of sleep tonight.

I've lifted heavy on only 3 or 4 hours and after a night of drinking and been fine.

I don't do it often though, lol.

If you barely get any sleep on a night, is it better to rest or shall I workout?

I only slept ca 3-4 hours last night and still hit a PR in the OHP today (5/5/4 x 149 lb). However, it wasn't all good. I had an energy drink before the workout and after I was done with the OHP my pulse was way too high. I only did a few sets of pull ups before calling it quits cos didn't feel like having a heart attack. Not the best of workouts when you've been eating and sleeping like crap...

sphinx

the piano man
Cooter, I hope the pieces fall in place as time goes by and that all parties involved win something from this decision.

as for my off-topicness.. you guys remember my pain from the rib to the back?...

turns out it was nothing related to training, a day or two after the initial pain I got several small blisters in the area that was hurting... and then headaches... so, yeah it's a not very severe case of herpes zoster...... it's nothing serious, apparently, but the discomfort is sooooo annoying, it doesn't let me move my arms very well so I can't train and I can't play piano as well so fuck life right now, supposedly the virus takes a week to go through it's goddamned cycle. We'll see...

Visceir

What shoes is everyone here wearing to the gym?

I'm looking for some new shoes but the assortment here in the stores is rather poor and looks do matter to me. I imagine weightlifting shoes would be rather bad for cardio/jogging too.

Should just go for some general workout shoes and then just do squats barefoot...

J. Bravo

I'm looking for some new shoes but the assortment here in the stores is rather poor and looks do matter to me. I imagine weightlifting shoes would be rather bad for cardio/jogging too.

Should just go for some general workout shoes and then just do squats barefoot...

You can use lifting shoes on the stairmaster and/or the little weird calf thing that doesn't appear to move that much.

I just wear whatever. I don't care what I'm wearing for upper body lifts, and on lower body days, I don't even wear shoes for the compounds.

some Chuck Taylors

If you can lift barefoot, go for it.
My gym has mandatory shoe policy, so I'm stuck with darn shoes.

Have you tried having her do goblet squats? They really help with foot placement and with the notion of keeping your chest up.

Then maybe transition her to high bar squat, which might be less demanding technique-wise.

ILoveBish

Cooter, everyone here seriously loves the crap out of you, i imagine your kids must be wild about you. Sounds like they will know how good of a dad you are and will continue to be. Hope it all works out bro.

_Isaac

Just Chuck Taylors when I'm weight lifting.

Chocobro

I hope everything works out, Cooter! We're here for you brah.
I wear one of those relatively cheap Nike flat skateboard shoes. I have two similar pairs that I wear all the time; I squat with them fine and I deadlift barefoot. When one of these pairs crap out, I'll probably get a pair of Chuck Taylors to see what's up. Maybe the Adipower when I get the monies.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Yep. For the price, they cannot be beat.

Speaking of which hoping I can pick up a pair at work this weekend. Got double discount coming up so here's to hoping there's some in stock in my size. Otherwise I've been using worn out vans slip ons.

abuC

What a magnificent cap to such a shitty week in the gym, every number was down today which was supposed to be my power day. I lost some strength in the last two weeks, and while I look better this is completely unacceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom