• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

abuC

Anyone here ever given blood, how would it affect lifting if at all? Would I be able to work out that same day, or would that be a bad idea.

Anyone here ever given blood, how would it affect lifting if at all? Would I be able to work out that same day, or would that be a bad idea.

It's very individual, some feel great, others not so much. I wouldn't recommend lifting after, just to be safe. Pretty sure your body is already trying to cope with the loss of blood, extra stress is probably not a good idea.

abuC

It's very individual, some feel great, others not so much. I wouldn't recommend lifting after, just to be safe. Pretty sure your body is already trying to cope with the loss of blood, extra stress is probably not a good idea.

Thanks, I'll be giving blood on Oct. 30th, so I'll take a day or two off from the gym after.

thomaser

OH MAN! My sister was in the States this weekend and I asked her to go to GNC and see about getting some quest bars on the cheap using the 10$ off coupon. She got 4 boxes for about $15 each. Also, using my gold card, 2 of the boxes came out to $12!

Nooo! I was also in the US this weekend, and forgot to buy quest bars. I saw a couple of GNCs too, and thought "I have to go there later", but didn't :-(

I commonly donate blood. I usually lift the night before, donate the next morning, then wait 24 hours to lift again... and I usually make sure it isn't one of my tougher lifting sessions such as deadlift day. I'd take it slow if this is your first time donating and lifting.

yo

Jump on a treadmill, put the incline on 13 and the speed to 8.5, run for 30 seconds, stop.

Repeat x3.

1 minute and thirty seconds of workout time

With this result:

romodown-600x337.jpg

Meteorain

I have a question on Deadlift form.

How do you know if you back is actually curving when you think it is straight? On the weights I use to warm up, it's easier to feel, but when I reach the weights I'm having to put effort into lifting I can't really concentrate as much on the straightness of my back.

I have to lift straight from ground level on not particularly tall weights, so I have to start from a pretty low squat. I feel a small pressure every so often on the small of my back and side of the hip when I am straightening up on the last part of the lift.

Also I feel a lot of the strain nearer the front of my thighs; closer to the knee at times.

Is there any thing to feel/look out for that would indicate my back is curving?

I work out in my shed as of now so I have no mirrors :(

I have a question on Deadlift form.

How do you know if you back is actually curving when you think it is straight? On the weights I use to warm up, it's easier to feel, but when I reach the weights I'm having to put effort into lifting I can't really concentrate as much on the straightness of my back.

I have to lift straight from ground level on not particularly tall weights, so I have to start from a pretty low squat. I feel a small pressure every so often on the small of my back and side of the hip when I am straightening up on the last part of the lift.

Also I feel a lot of the strain nearer the front of my thighs; closer to the knee at times.

Is there any thing to feel/look out for that would indicate my back is curving?

I work out in my shed as of now so I have no mirrors :(

Can you set up a video with you phone or camera? Just record yourself from a side view and review the video afterwards. Without a mirror, that's basically your only option to see yourself. Even with a mirror, I'd never recommend someone twists their neck to see themselves from the side, seems like a good way to twist/put some strain on your spine which is probably not a good idea while deadlifting.

Mark1

I can lift these weights below (not including Olympic barbell weight):

Squats - 60kg

Bench Press - 30kg

Deadlifts - 35kg

Pull-ups - weighted 25

Overhead press - 15kg

Power cleans - 20kg

Bent over Row - 30kg

Bicep curls - 20kg

Are these accurate? Also, I find myself resting forever before I can actually do a full set again, why is this? Does it make a difference if I do 4 reps in these cases?

Squats - 60kg
Bench Press - 30kg
Deadlifts - 35kg
Pull-ups - weighted 25
Overhead press - 15kg
Power cleans - 20kg
Bent over Row - 30kg
Bicep curls - 20kg

Are these accurate? Also, I find myself resting forever before I can actually do a full set again, why is this? Does it make a difference if I do 4 reps in these cases?

For the future, you should include the weight of the barbell; that's the common way to list weights. So, if I say I'm lifting 225 lbs on my squat, that's a 45 lbs bar with four 45 lbs plates. Generally it's easier to just say "225 lbs" as opposed to "180 lbs plus the bar" especially because the weight of bars can vary if you aren't talking about a standard Olympic bar.

If by "accurate" you mean "does this make sense" then yes, I'd say mostly those lifts make sense. On average, people can lift the most weight in order:

Deadlifts > Squats > Bench Press > Overhead press; not sure on the smaller movements or cleans, but I'm perhaps slightly surprised that you can curl more than you can overhead press; is that 20kg for curls on a single bar, or 20kg dumbbells (one per arm)? EDIT: Never mind, I forgot that the overhead press didn't include the barbell.

Overhead press max tends to be about 66% of bench press max. Bench press max tends to be about 70% of squat max. Squat max tends to be about 80% of deadlift max. By this logic, your overhead press would be only about 40% of your deadlift. Just my rough approximation based on this chart which in itself probably has some issues. Anyway, don't worry much about how the lifts compare to one another, just stick to a good training routine and be conscious of your form for each lift and you'll see growth. In regards to resting between sets, I recommend you rest as long as you need to in order to complete the next set, within reason. If you're taking 20 minute breaks then, yeah, that's a bit excessive, but I usually take a couple minutes between sets and sometimes 5+ minutes if it's a particularly tough set. Other FitGaffers, if I remember correctly, take ~10 minute rests between some sets.

Mark1

For the future, you should include the weight of the barbell; that's the common way to list weights. So, if I say I'm lifting 225 lbs on my squat, that's a 45 lbs bar with four 45 lbs plates. Generally it's easier to just say "225 lbs" as opposed to "180 lbs plus the bar" especially because the weight of bars can vary if you aren't talking about a standard Olympic bar.

If by "accurate" you mean "does this make sense" then yes, I'd say mostly those lifts make sense. On average, people can lift the most weight in order:

Deadlifts > Squats > Bench Press > Overhead press; not sure on the smaller movements or cleans, but I'm perhaps slightly surprised that you can curl more than you can overhead press; is that 20kg for curls on a single bar, or 20kg dumbbells (one per arm)? EDIT: Never mind, I forgot that the overhead press didn't include the barbell.

Overhead press max tends to be about 66% of bench press max. Bench press max tends to be about 70% of squat max. Squat max tends to be about 80% of deadlift max. By this logic, your overhead press would be only about 40% of your deadlift. Just my rough approximation based on this chart which in itself probably has some issues. Anyway, don't worry much about how the lifts compare to one another, just stick to a good training routine and be conscious of your form for each lift and you'll see growth. In regards to resting between sets, I recommend you rest as long as you need to in order to complete the next set, within reason. If you're taking 20 minute breaks then, yeah, that's a bit excessive, but I usually take a couple minutes between sets and sometimes 5+ minutes if it's a particularly tough set. Other FitGaffers, if I remember correctly, take ~10 minute rests between some sets.
I've been told the Olympic barbell weights are not the same so I wasn't sure how to write it. I find it odd how I can squat way more than deadlifts.

I've been told the Olympic barbell weights are not the same so I wasn't sure how to write it. I find it odd how I can squat way more than deadlifts.

It's a bit odd, but nothing to lose sleep over. It may be a couple of things related to form. For example, when you squat, are you going down to a parallel or lower position, or are you doing a half or quarter squat? Here's a sort-of decent example of a quarter, half, and parallel (full) squat. If you're only doing a half or quarter squat, then you're probably lifting more weight than you'd be capable of with a full squat range of motion.

Beyond that, I think it'll even out over time. And, most full-length barbells should weigh 45 lbs or ~20 kg. If you're lifting at a gym, you can always ask a gym attendant or just put the barbell on a scale.

Noema

Weird day at the gym. Still doing SS.

Progress 5 lbs to 250 lb squat for 3 x 5
Progressed 2.5 lbs to 117.5 lb press for 3 x 5

But, deadlift would not go up, at all, at 295 lbs. Oddly enough, I was able to get 5 reps on the deadlift at 290 lbs last time. That weight wouldn't go up either this time. Anyone with similar experience? Try again next time or deload? Maybe I injured my lower back and don't know it... it sometimes feel a tad weird after squats, but nothing serious.

Deadlift progression today was:
135 lbs x 5
185 lbs x 1
225 lbs x 1
265 lbs x 1
295 lbs complete stall

Gah.

Were you able to hold on to the bar on your failed DL attempts? Are you sure it's not just a grip issue?

Also, when doing SS you have to fail 3 sessions in a row before deloading. So you should try again next time with 295lb. If you don't get it, you try 295lb again. If you fail 295lb a 3rd time, you deload 10% 295-30=265lbx5.

If you do get 295lbx5 next time, you move on with the progression.

Noema

is it normal to do x1's for warmup sets? for a 5 rep set at the end? i always do 3 - 5 reps on my warmup sets, am i wasting energy/should i just be doing 1?

Warm-ups should be warmups and nothing more. As the weight goes up, the reps should go down.

For example, suppose you are doing 225lb on a lift. So a possible warmup scheme might look like this:

45lb 2 sets of 5
135lbx3
185lbx2
225lb 3 sets of 5.

Say you are doing 405lb:

45lbx8
135lbx5
225lbx2
315lbx1
365lbx1

Warmups should help blood flow to the muscle and ligaments, as well as provide a dynamic stretch. They also serve to prep the CNS for the task of lifting the heavy weights. But nothing more. They shouldn't tire you and they shouldn't impact the quality of your work sets negatively.

I always facepalm when I see bros at my gym load up 135lb on bench as a "warmup" and do sets to failure. By the time they get to the heavier weights they are completely burnt out.

Noema

Squats - 60kg

Bench Press - 30kg

Deadlifts - 35kg

Pull-ups - weighted 25

Overhead press - 15kg

Power cleans - 20kg

Bent over Row - 30kg

Bicep curls - 20kg

You should rest as long as you need to complete all the reps.

I find it odd how I can squat way more than deadlifts.

Are you sure you are squatting to full depth? (your femurs -not your thighs- should be at least parallel to the floor, preferably lower).

Noema

Looks like Wendler is helping t nation sell their biotest shit. Not sure that "feels ok" something about that seems hypocritical to me. But I guess the dude has to eat.

I thought it was pretty lame. "Hey guys! Train hard, don't be a pussy! Blood, sweat and vomit! But first, a message from our sponsor!" Ugh.

I like Wendler and I like 531, but shit like this just rubs me the wrong way. There's a difference between sponsoring a product and outright shilling. It's what I hate about people like Nick Wright, too. "Here's my new training video! But first, look at how I shill on a pre-workout for 10 minutes."

I'm curious as to how effective shilling the supplements are. I mean, he isn't fooling anyone who really follows him and knows their shit but for the common folk? Have they even heard of Wendler?

Noema

My guess is that 99% of the people who buy shit like BioTest are skinny teenagers using their mom's Credit Card.

I mean, they name the products "Anabolic Pulse, "Brain Candy"" and "Reactive Pump".

Remember their Anaconda Protocol Bullshit? It doesn't get anymore juvenile than that.

Mark1

It's a bit odd, but nothing to lose sleep over. It may be a couple of things related to form. For example, when you squat, are you going down to a parallel or lower position, or are you doing a half or quarter squat? Here's a sort-of decent example of a quarter, half, and parallel (full) squat. If you're only doing a half or quarter squat, then you're probably lifting more weight than you'd be capable of with a full squat range of motion.

Beyond that, I think it'll even out over time. And, most full-length barbells should weigh 45 lbs or ~20 kg. If you're lifting at a gym, you can always ask a gym attendant or just put the barbell on a scale.
Well from what I've seen it looks like I'm going near parallel, I do try to go below parallel, but can't (as far as I can remember)

Rad-

My 6 week progress (twice per week):

Squats: 90lbs -> 145lbs.
Deadlift: 110lbs -> 140lbs.
Bench: 90lbs -> 120lbs.
Military press: 45lbs -> 80lbs.
Bicep curls: 45lbs -> 70lbs.

I think that's pretty average development, no? Strangely my weight hasn't increased at all in this time and I've been eating quite a bit. I eat 3000-3500cals a day. It's really hard for me to go above that because most of my day goes to working so I have to eat big in 2 meals.

J. Bravo

Military press (dumbbell): 45lbs -> 80lbs.
Bicep curls (dumbbell): 45lbs -> 70lbs.

I think that's pretty average development, no? Strangely my weight hasn't increased at all in this time and I've been eating quite a bit. I eat 3000-3500cals a day. It's really hard for me to go above that because most of my day goes to working so I have to eat big in 2 meals.

You can curl 70s? That's crazy haha.

And my weight doesn't increase easily either. I'm stuck at 169. I wish I could get to like 190 at my current BF%. That will take a couple more years though.

Mark1

If I see that I can lift more weight than before does that mean I'm doing my dieting and work outs correctly?

Regarding squats, I go very close to being parallel to the ground, if I find I can't go below parallel I'll lower the weight a little.

If I see that I can lift more weight than before does that mean I'm doing my dieting and work outs correctly?

Regarding squats, I go very close to being parallel to the ground, if I find I can't go below parallel I'll lower the weight a little.

If you can lift more weight for the same or more reps with good/consistent form, then yeah, I'd say that's a clear indication of strength gain. I'd aim for hitting at least parallel with squats, if you don't hit at least that far down you're not achieving a full range of motion. That's a bad thing which can increase the risk of injury and certainly decrease full activation of all the muscles which should be involved in a squat. It's best to lower the weight a bit and work your way up with proper form. I'd even recommend trying with just an empty bar to get a feel for how low parallel is; it takes a bit of getting used to if you've been squatting only partway up until now.

Mark1

If you can lift more weight for the same or more reps with good/consistent form, then yeah, I'd say that's a clear indication of strength gain. I'd aim for hitting at least parallel with squats, if you don't hit at least that far down you're not achieving a full range of motion. That's a bad thing which can increase the risk of injury and certainly decrease full activation of all the muscles which should be involved in a squat. It's best to lower the weight a bit and work your way up with proper form. I'd even recommend trying with just an empty bar to get a feel for how low parallel is; it takes a bit of getting used to if you've been squatting only partway up until now.
Well it looked like I was more or less parallel, nonetheless I'll take the weight a little to see what happens. If I was to continue gaining strength should I except a fair amount of muscle by Christmas time?

J. Bravo

Well it looked like I was more or less parallel, nonetheless I'll take the weight a little to see what happens. If I was to continue gaining strength should I except a fair amount of muscle by Christmas time?

you will probably be stronger but unless you've been eating like a horse, you won't be much bigger. I've been lifting for what seems like forever (really only consistently for maybe 10 months), and I'm not much bigger, but I'm way stronger than when I started. to gain size you really gotta eat. otoh, I'm pretty defined aka a skinny bastard. lb4lb I think I'm pretty strong though. obviously not in the same class as Vashon Perryman (who I work with), who is 165 and holds the WR for deadlift and squat in his weight class, but I think I'm doing pretty well. dude is insane.

Mark1

you will probably be stronger but unless you've been eating like a horse, you won't be much bigger. I've been lifting for what seems like forever (really only consistently for maybe 10 months), and I'm not much bigger, but I'm way stronger than when I started. to gain size you really gotta eat. otoh, I'm pretty defined aka a skinny bastard. lb4lb I think I'm pretty strong though. obviously not in the same class as Vashon Perryman (who I work with), who is 165 and holds the WR for deadlift and squat in his weight class, but I think I'm doing pretty well. dude is insane.
I have been eating way more than I normally would, might be one reason why I'm gaining strength. So I hope I do put on a good amount of mass, just so I know I'm out of this annoying plateau.

I had to google him, holy shit 715lb Deadlift!

abuC

I commonly donate blood. I usually lift the night before, donate the next morning, then wait 24 hours to lift again... and I usually make sure it isn't one of my tougher lifting sessions such as deadlift day. I'd take it slow if this is your first time donating and lifting.

Thanks, I'll take a couple of days off after to make sure I don't pass out at the gym.

sphinx

the piano man
mmhh... so far all my numbers have gone down, I no longer hold my records and will have to make my way back up again...this is VERY frustrating,

I was one increment away from the the 100 kilogram barrier (220 lbs) on squat and was about to try my first increment above bodyweight on bench...2 days ago 80 kgs (176 lbs) on squat felt like I was approaching my 1RM... I was like "damn, WTF, these are fucking 80 kgs....I already do 97.5".... my next bench PR would have been 70 kgs (154 lbs) but that's out of the question now, misserable 60 kgs (132 lbs) felt like a challenge today.... huge ego blow right there.... but numbers are numbers so I make my way up there again, there's nothing more to it.

I am yet to figure out whether my numbers are so dramatically down due to the recent illness or because I was away from the gym for 3 weeks... either way, I'll avoid taking that much time off if I can, the 2 times I've been forced to do a big pause, around or over 2 weeks, it's been a fucking hassle to get back on track.

Visceir

I am yet to figure out whether my numbers are so dramatically down due to the recent illness or because I was away from the gym for 3 weeks... either way, I'll avoid taking that much time off if I can, the 2 times I've been forced to do a big pause, around or over 2 weeks, it's been a fucking hassle to get back on track.

Makes you think about how it will all be gone rather fast if you ever decide to stop going to the gym or take a big break...

Tried 176 lbs bench press today, got 5/4/3, atleast it seems doable. Just need to stuff my face with food and go hard next time.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Ok, I get stared at everywhere I go now. Like it's ridiculous how much I get stared at. I don't know if it's my musclebearness my beard or both.

Maybe it's both. I'm just a big mass of a bearded manliness. Shit's a bit unnerving though.

Btw, Captain Phillips is a good movie.

I thought it was pretty lame. "Hey guys! Train hard, don't be a pussy! Blood, sweat and vomit! But first, a message from our sponsor!" Ugh.

I like Wendler and I like 531, but shit like this just rubs me the wrong way. There's a difference between sponsoring a product and outright shilling. It's what I hate about people like Nick Wright, too. "Here's my new training video! But first, look at how I shill on a pre-workout for 10 minutes."

Plus his whole "you are being lied to thing" then you see him selling fucking snakeoil.

Shit's whack.

Yeah, I said whack.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Military press (dumbbell): 45lbs -> 80lbs.
Bicep curls (dumbbell): 45lbs -> 70lbs.

The bicep curls look off. You say dumbbells, but you mean the dumbbells that you hold with one hand, right? You can do bicep curls with 70 lb. dumbbells? Even without the preacher bench? Seems extremely high to me in relation to your other numbers, which look about right.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Anyone wondering what Noema and I are talking about, look at this shit. I was about to buy beyond 5/3/1, but now I don't know if i can justify it. Ever since he left EFTS he's been on the wrong track IMO.

http://www.t-nation.com/workouts/beyond-531-program-1-1

A couple videos of the guy I work with:

WR deadlift: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6FTF7FIZ0M 716lbs @ 165
WR Squat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaXzggY3JXU 606lbs @ 165

That dude is strong.

To be fair, that's a world record for that particular federation. It isn't actually a "world record."

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
That's awesome. Please tell him that a random person on the internet is a big fan of his deadlift form.

TopDreg

Were you able to hold on to the bar on your failed DL attempts? Are you sure it's not just a grip issue?

Was able to hold the bar. Literally could not get the bar up an inch off the ground. I'm hoping it was just a bad day or bad recovery. I guess I'll attempt it again on the next deadlift day. Thanks for the help as always.

MjFrancis

Plus his whole "you are being lied to thing" then you see him selling fucking snakeoil.

Shit's whack.

Yeah, I said whack.
Remembering that mantra pisses me off even more. I shrugged off his pay forum but people were buying, and he was honest about what he was selling. T-Nation is poison when it comes to supplement pushing. Christian Thibaudeau once posted The Truth About Bulking and a few years later he's pushing the I, Bodybuilder program with Tim Patterson saying "Christian gained 27 pounds of muscle in 6 weeks." A veteran Olympic lifter turned bodybuilder gained that much muscle in six weeks with your overpriced supplements? Bull-fucking-shit.

I don't know if anyone noticed, but it was shit like that that made me decide to take the T-Nation link out of the OP last time around. When they are on point, they are awesome but when they are pushing their snake oil they are fucking unbearable and they stand against everything this thread is supposed to be about. IT stands against everything Wendler was supposed to be about.

At least the supplement section of the Beyond 5/3/1 Program 1.1 comes off like a faked orgasm. It's forced, boring, and I'm not even sure Jim wrote it. If he did, I hope he lost a scintilla of self-respect.

Ok, I get stared at everywhere I go now. Like it's ridiculous how much I get stared at. I don't know if it's my musclebearness my beard or both.

Maybe it's both. I'm just a big mass of a bearded manliness. Shit's a bit unnerving though.
When my beard was down past my chest guys would stare at my beard like how most guys eyebang a nice set of tits. No joke.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Remembering that mantra pisses me off even more. I shrugged off his pay forum but people were buying, and he was honest about what he was selling. T-Nation is poison when it comes to supplement pushing. Christian Thibaudeau once posted The Truth About Bulking and a few years later he's pushing the I, Bodybuilder program with Tim Patterson saying "Christian gained 27 pounds of muscle in 6 weeks." A veteran Olympic lifter turned bodybuilder gained that much muscle in six weeks with your overpriced supplements? Bull-fucking-shit.

I don't know if anyone noticed, but it was shit like that that made me decide to take the T-Nation link out of the OP last time around. When they are on point, they are awesome but when they are pushing their snake oil they are fucking unbearable and they stand against everything this thread is supposed to be about. IT stands against everything Wendler was supposed to be about.

At least the supplement section of the Beyond 5/3/1 Program 1.1 comes off like a faked orgasm. It's forced, boring, and I'm not even sure Jim wrote it. If he did, I hope he lost a scintilla of self-respect.

When my beard was down past my chest guys would stare at my beard like how most guys eyebang a nice set of tits. No joke.

I'm actually tempted to write a letter to him on efts/Facebook asking him wtf he's thinking.

As for the beard thing that's pretty much how it feels and my beard is nowhere near "Francis" levels. It's pretty good though.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Brolic, the inmates are just attracted to your hypnotizingly good looks and dreamy chocolate brown eyes. They're couped up in their 6x8 cell with nothing to look at but your norse like beard... Just pure testosterone, self-evolving natural hormone enhancement.

Also, I can't even bulk work is too fucking physical I'm withering away into nothingness, 191lbs :'(

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Matrix Diet Bundle: Protein Powder, Creatine or Zepherine, and Shaker for £39 (61% Off)

http://bit.ly/165ypS7

This just came up on Groupon, is it worth it? I haven't thought about using this stuff but right now I've got a bit of extra cash, so is this shit good guys?

EDIT:Deal expires soon so would appreciate advice asap

Nelo Ice

Banned
This may seem stupid but for dumbell rows on 5/3/1 it says 5x10 so does that mean 50 reps total split between both arms or 50 reps per arm?

CrankyJay

Banned
So...was doing chin ups last night and tried to keep my legs straight to avoid kipping. Now my right side abs is sore...really tender.

What's going on here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom