• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT6| Defying gravity, Quest madness, and Muscle Shaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Attempted low-bar squats for the first time ever today after pulling my back doing A2G squats.

Went all the way up to 225 lbs for one rep.

Holy shit. Didn't even know I had the strength at my size to squat two plates on each side.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
270lb ohp. Video when I get home.

Haha, what the fuck. While I'm still a total beginner, it's absolutely humbling to know that you can lift more above your head than I can deadlift. The overhead press is the most impressive lift to me.

Noema

If I was to do smolov for my squat, how would I do the other compounds? .

You don't.

Honestly unless you are squatting 405lb+ it's not recommended to do Smolov. It's a program for advanced lifters.

There are better, less infernal ways to improve your squat for intermediates.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Thanks guys. I followed that up with 6 sets of 3 with 205 for snatch grip highpulls (hang).

Gonna be good and ready to get this massage tomorrow.

That dead looked good cooter!

Haha, what the fuck. While I'm still a total beginner, it's absolutely humbling to know that you can lift more above your head than I can deadlift. The overhead press is the most impressive lift to me.

It's definitely the hardest one to improve I think. Even though my squat is garbage OHP still is the one that takes the most work from my experience, especially a good strict press.

sphinx

the piano man
this page is awesome and inspiring, I really love PR videos.

i actually hear the "it's important to switch up your routine frequently as your muscles get used to certain movements and stop responding as much" quite a lot.

any truth to it, or is it just broscience bullshit?

the problem with that line is that as son as you hear it, you know you are taking to a guy with a certain kind of gym profile,

.- mostly no main compounds (they are dangerous! they hurt my shoulders!)
.- routines impossed by a PT, using metalbar machines exclusively, and of course, low weight, low rep
.- "I want abs" mentality (which of course never appear, lol)

cooter said:
I almost feel like I shouldn't post this after Brolic's massive OHP but it is a PR for me and I'm proud of it.

I think this thread could really use more strength progress videos,

for me, reaching 100kg/220 lbs on the squat will be a particular milestone, so I guess I could share here even though it's absolutely nowhere near some of the deeds seen here (lol this page).

being able to share these little but important moments would be something positive in my opinion. Of course, there's no need to post every single PR.... some common sense and then it's all good :)

J. Bravo

You don't.

Honestly unless you are squatting 405lb+ it's not recommended to do Smolov. It's a program for advanced lifters.

There are better, less infernal ways to improve your squat for intermediates.

Good, because last time I did it, I was stupidly tired. Any excuse to not do it is fine with me haha.

BUT you guys. I am 22 and wake up after playing basketball with sore ankles and knees. Yesterday I did OHP and arms, and while I played basketball in Sperry's, my joints shouldn't be this sore. It happens all the time. I just had mono about a month ago, could that have something to do with it? How can I alleviate my joint pain? I shouldn't be in any pain at all, really.

huxley00

Had my first workout after an injury put me out for almost 5 months (Chostochondritis). It is basically a separation of the cartilage from the chest wall. I initially injured the area 3 years ago doing deep dips without proper warmup. I re-injured the area slowly over the course of several months of very heavy deadlifts. I could feel soreness in my chest at the time but ignored it as it seemed to go away the next day. After an evening of deadlifts, I went to reach forward and felt a big tear in my sternum area.

This is why you need to warmup folks, learn from my stupidity.

Anyway, I did 135x5 squats, 135x3 deadlifts and 135x5 bench. It is very low weight and I lost a ton of gains but it felt great to get back to it. I've thought about lifting a lot over the past 5 months or so. I think I may stick to a 2 day a week overall program rather than the 3 day stronglifts program I had been on for several years in the past. I loved being big but the risk of injury is just too great. I would rather have a lifetime of lifting and a good body with medium weights rather than a shorter term of having a great body with heavy lifts. I've always been somewhat injury prone and I think that is the best plan for me.

The other part is diet. I spent so much time critiquing my diet to maintain my six pack but I really wasn't that happy. I often had cravings for other foods and had to constantly deny myself things that I wanted. I would rather have semi-abs and eat more of what I want than to be cut and have great abs but deny myself all the time. Its just no fun and I found that my mood improved considerably when I allowed some "bad" items back into my diet from time to time.

Good luck to anyone else that is injured out there, hope you heal up quickly!

Good, because last time I did it, I was stupidly tired. Any excuse to not do it is fine with me haha.

BUT you guys. I am 22 and wake up after playing basketball with sore ankles and knees. Yesterday I did OHP and arms, and while I played basketball in Sperry's, my joints shouldn't be this sore. It happens all the time. I just had mono about a month ago, could that have something to do with it? How can I alleviate my joint pain? I shouldn't be in any pain at all, really.

I 100% recall having achy joints when I had mono, and I recall the achy-ness lasted for a bit afterwards. I don't want to give you false hope that it's just related to the mono and will go away on its own, but just wanted to share my experience. Mono fucking sucks.

Szu

Awesome to Goaler and Cooter!

I starting to think that facial hair is a factor to truly hitting beast mode.

My whiskers don't do much for me.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
My douchelord soul patch hasn't done anything for me.

Szu

vqF73xt.gif

Dafuq.....

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
you are lifting 260 pounds more than me while only weighing 5 more pounds than me

I FEEEL SO WEAK!

You shouldn't. Deadlift is an exercise that increases quickly with practice and consistency. Keep pushing. I only started seriously deadlifting 3.5 months ago and 350 was a struggle.

Thanks for all the nice words guys!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Dude I bought the house from left a bowflex in the basement. Looks like I won't need a lat pulldown machine in the new house, lol.

YESSSSS. LEVEL UP!

3x5 OHP 52,5 kg / 115 lbs is done!

Met a pretty cool young professional weight lifter who gave me some neat tips too.

Groof

I was thinking of picking up some Optimum Nutrition protein when my current bag of cheap stuff runs out. What flavour do you guys recommend? I've seen Double Rich Chocolate getting rave reviews.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I was thinking of picking up some Optimum Nutrition protein when my current bag of cheap stuff runs out. What flavour do you guys recommend? I've seen Double Rich Chocolate getting rave reviews.

Mild on vanilla, IN LOVE with mint chocolate. Shit's the bombay.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Mint choco sounds delicious. They're also claiming a flavour called French Vanilla Creme is limited and that sounds quite interesting too. Worth trying?

It SOUNDS good but I was very mild on the plain vaniller. It was just...there. Quite boring, not gross, but added peanut butter just because.

blackflag

Mild on vanilla, IN LOVE with mint chocolate. Shit's the bombay.

I don't really like any of them, howver if I had to choose, it would be chocolate mint.

I usually get Muscle Pharm Combat Powder....well, to my surprise Costco just started carrying it. The best flavor too. Cookies and Cream.

Cheaper than you can get it on the internet. 5 lb 44 bucks. Hell yes.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really like any of them, howver if I had to choose, it would be chocolate mint.

I usually get Muscle Pharm Combat Powder....well, to my surprise Costco just started carrying it. The best flavor too. Cookies and Cream.

Cheaper than you can get it on the internet. 5 lb 44 bucks. Hell yes.

I got some Muscle Pharm Iron Cut Whey Arnold chocolate and it's the bombay.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Sharing this with Fit-GAF since I frequent this place so much..

Leaving my fiancee of 5 years, she doesn't know yet.

I'm not in love with her anymore and I've done terrible things.

Time to face reality.

Feel broken.

Probably won't be back here for a while..

:'(

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Time to face reality.

Feel broken.

Toughpants, chin up, do what's right brother, if you've made mistakes, own them. Be true to yourself. Godspeed brother.

Time to face reality.

Feel broken.

Best of luck amigo. Get down to business, do what has to be done, and don't lose sight of whatever goals you have for yourself. You'll get through it and be back on track.

Mully

Hello Fit-GAF. This is Mully.

I haven't been able to check in much lately because of school, work, and other activities. Up until recently I have been able to keep up with my 5/3/1 routine. The last few weeks have been embarrassing in regards to keeping a routine and eating well (weddings and other things will do that).

However, these are my latest numbers. They haven't improved since my last post due to the fact that I haven't gone much. That will change shortly.

OHP: 155X5
DL: 330X3
Bench: 230X2
Squat: 305X2

A comparison set.

Now - October '13 (183lbs):

Then - January '13 (218lbs):

Cooter

Time to face reality.

Feel broken.

I feel your pain. Good luck MTP. :)

leroidys

Do you guys usually skip workouts if you feel a possible cold coming on?

I know I should just go, but I hate, hate, hate getting sick and feel like wearing myself out will increase the chance that it takes hold.

Cooter

People at my gym act as if they've never seen a guy squat 365 five times and go straight to 5 muscle ups and 10 pull ups. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom